FAQFAQ   SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlistRegisterRegister  ProfileProfile   Log in[ Log in ]  Flint Talk RSSFlint Talk RSS

»Home »Open Chat »Political Talk  Â»Flint Journal »Political Jokes »The Bob Leonard Show  

Flint Michigan online news magazine. We have lively web forums

FlintTalk.com Forum Index > Political Talk

Topic: Ferguson Missouri now an anarchy
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
  Author    Post Post new topic Reply to topic
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

Just in!

.Ferguson Disgrace: Police Fire on Unarmed Crowds, Attack News Trucks

Today in Ferguson, following the arrest of two journalists police continued their all...

jezebel.com|By Rebecca RoseFerguson Disgrace: Police Fire on Unarmed Crowds, Attack ...

Ferguson Disgrace: Police Fire on Unarmed Crowds, Attack News Trucks
jezebel.com/ferguson-disgrace-police-fire-on-unarmed-crowds-attac...

On Saturday, police in Ferguson, Missouri shot and killed an 18-year-old unarmed man named Michael Brown. Since then, protests have taken place

Last edited by untanglingwebs on Thu Aug 14, 2014 9:15 am; edited 2 times in total
Post Thu Aug 14, 2014 7:54 am 
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

Ferguson Disgrace: Police Fire on Unarmed Crowds, Attack News TrucksSExpand

Today in Ferguson, following the arrest of two journalists police continued their all out assault on the liberties and rights of the town's citizens. Here's the latest update on what we know so far.

On Saturday, police in Ferguson, Missouri shot and killed an 18-year-old unarmed man named Michael Brown. Since then, protests have taken place throughout the town, which has a population of around 21,000. For those wondering what was going in Ferguson on Wednesday it might have been hard getting information. Many of the major networks were not airing live coverage of anything. Add to that journalists who were actually trying to report on the scene were being rounded up, blocked from the town or just outright arrested.

Via the I Am Mike Brown livestream KARG Argus Radio, viewers watched as police fired rubber bullets into crowds of unarmed citizens. We watched as police advanced on a group of peaceful demonstrators. I Am Mike Brown livestream reported police were demanding that they turn off their cameras. "Because they don't want witnesses," the reporter said. This definitely echoes the experience of Huffington Post reporter Ryan Reilly, who was arrested earlier in the day after a SWAT team invaded the McDonald's he was working out of. When he took a photo, an officer demanded to see his ID. Last I checked, taking a photo was not something that required an ID in this coutry. Reilly was then assaulted and arrested, along with Washington Post reporter Wesley Lowery.

The scene from I Am Mike Brown's live stream grew incredibly tense. Crowds of people were standing in the street, with their hands above their head. The police began firing tear gas and rubber bullets into the crowd. The crowd did not provoke them. The police took the first shots. The police continued firing as the crowd retreated into a residential neighborhood. The police continued firing into the neighborhood without regard for property or personal safety of the residents.

Unfortunately, the I Am Mike Brown livestream has gone in and out over the evening.

Here's more footage of the assault on the crowds:

Ferguson is also a no-fly zone now, which is chilling to say the least. Police were definitely on a mission to shut down news reporting in the city. Police threw tear gas at an Al Jazeera news truck, where reporters were attempting to set up a live feed:

I'd like to take this opportunity to remind everyone that so far, the only ones in this situation who have killed someone are THE very FERGUSON POLICE DEPARTMENT. This is how they respond when their citizens, their own community, stand up and ask them to answer questions about the shooting of an unarmed teenager. Their response is exactly: "vulgar language you, don't you dare question our authority." But with guns and armored vehicles and threats and tear gas instead of words. Goddammit.

Redditors have assembled the latest news from the region; I strongly suggest everyone check it out. This is how the police have responded to questions about their actions so far:

To those who don't understand the importance and power of social media, think about this. Think about who was bringing you the news from Ferguson. News outlets such as MSNBC broadcast live streams from other sources, because they were shut out of the region by police. The police shut down the free press, to hide their actions, like cowards. Citizens, armed with cameras, smartphones and other devices used Twitter, YouTube, Facebook, Vine, Instagram and more to show what was going on in their community and hold police accountable the actions they were trying to hide.

As of now, there are no live streams left. This is terrifying.

There was a lot more that happened that I was not able to get to on my deadline. If we have missed anything here, please share in the comments below.

If you see tweets from journalists, witnesses or other victims, please share them here in the replies to this post.

Rebecca Rose’s DiscussionsAll replies

99% of my Twitter feed is talking about this. It's incredible what's happening. I am beyond words. The pictures are especially telling. The tear gas smoke, the guns trained on protesters. I wish I could post one, it's of two protesters with their backs turned that have red sniper rifle dots on their backs. (Edit - figured out how to post from Twitter)

The news just in says a councilman, an actual government official, was just taken into custody by the out of control police.

How dare we let this happen in our country. How did our police become autonomous little armies? How can they arrest and try to do harm to journalists? They're out of control and I am so worried there will be more deaths because of this brigade of trigger-happy idiots who wouldn't know parts of the Constitution if it bit them in their combat fatigue-wearing asses. I am just besides myself.

The DregsUEldritch
Today 12:18am

How did our police become autonomous little armies?

The Patriot Act, basically. Post 9/11, everyone was so scared of "the terrorists" that they let the police get their hands on what is basically military-grade hardware, and get trained in how to use it.

rockabillygoatgruffUThe Dregs
Today 12:40am

This right here. Don't forget the NDAA - now anyone, including US citizens, can be labelled as enemy combatants and incarcerated indefinitely without reason, trial, or charge.

DesMephistoUThe Dregs
Today 12:55am

Ironic that the government is now the terrorist.

The DregsUMappAndLuciaReMakeHolla
Today 1:10am

This was a pretty blatant attempt to "shock and awe" a population they probably found "uppity" into submission. It might have actually worked had this taken place before everyone had cell phones on their cameras. You have to understand that this kind stuff doesn't happen in a vacuum. What we are seeing is the result of years, and years of rage and tension that built up on both sides.

Terror and LoveURebecca Rose
Today 12:28am

The major news corporations handling of the events in Ferguson are actually an act of violence towards the American people.

Keep an eye on the narrative tomorrow. On which pictures are put up for edification.

Rhetorical ImpulseURebecca Rose (Photo on the Zezebel Facebook site)
Today 12:33am

This is Ryan Riley of the Huffington Post being marched out of a McDonald's by three police officers at gunpoint. The cops barged in and demanded that everyone clear out. Ryan and Wesley Lowery didn't move fast enough, were arrested, thrown in a cell and then released with no explanation.

LocalSPURebecca Rose
Today 12:52am

AprilDRyan ‏@AprilDRyan 14m

BREAKING: Civil Rights leaders meet w/Ferguson Police Chief in a few hours. POTUS is being updated on sit by Eric Holder and Valerie Jarrett

Rhetorical ImpulseURebecca Rose
Today 1:05am

From Wesley Lowery's account of his arrest. More info here:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/in-fe...

The GaysianURebecca Rose
Today 2:15am

I'm so pissed at what's been happening, and just putting it out there, (since I saw an extremely racist comment on a blog post before it was deleted), telling African Americans, Latin Americans and Arab Americans to dress differently to "prevent harassment," and so no one "gets in trouble" is just like blaming someone for getting sexually assaulted for the clothes that they were wearing. And by the way, if nothing illegal happened, why is the media blacked out?

LongRideHomeAgain5URebecca Rose
Today 2:19am

These little boys keep on dying, unarmed and on their own

Their mothers, I hear them crying; their sons are dead and gone

Sadly we're used to it; police are gunning them down - and we keep letting it go

What if it was your son and you saw his blood on the ground?

Wouldn't you want them to know?

These little boys keep on dying, hands up and all alone

Their sisters, I hear them crying; their brothers are dead and gone

Their brothers are dead and gone

Their brothers are dead and gone

Their sons are dead and gone

Our brothers are dead and gone

ryeandcokeURebecca Rose
Today 2:41am

Wow, the St. Louis PD is really doubling down on the police brutality. No fucks given whatsoever on their part

PenablerURebecca Rose
Today 3:27am

Watching the live feeds, restraint could have been straight saying "good night, protesters!" and walking away. A hundred people standing in the street chanting (for the police storm troopers posted there) did not need to be tear gassed. Holy shit. This all could be ended by the cops seriously investigating the death of the teen they shot. Instead they dress up like army cosplay and terrorize citizens. vulgar language this. Feds should roll in and take over.

YoanaURebecca Rose
Today 3:49am

Many of the major networks were not airing live coverage of anything. Add to that journalists who were actually trying to report on the scene were being rounded up, blocked from the town or just outright arrested.

This actually surprises me. Even our corrupt media down here in the pits of the former Soviet block reported on our massive government protests fairly neutrally last summer. I wouldn't have expected this kind of thing to happen in the USA, even though I'm far from believing the freest-country-in-the-wrold propaganda.

dr1zzitURebecca Rose
Today 3:58am

Seriously? What the vulgar language has happened to this country? Nothing about this on mainstream news, not a mention, and I'm in New York. As a minority I have lost all hope in this government.

I'm starting to see reports on Twitter from trusted sources (i.e. every time I hope they're wrong, they're not) saying that St. Louis alderman Antonio French has been arrested in Ferguson.

Look, the fan's already covered in shit; could the police stop throwing more of it?
Post Thu Aug 14, 2014 8:13 am 
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

What the wife of the #ferguson chief of police has to say on her Facebook pic.twitter.com/dGdkegmfc4
(not the Chief's wife)

Catherine Nardi to Thomas Ryan

They are feral and violent. They murder each other. They murder their unborn babies. They murder white people. They hate police officers and muder some of them even black ones. They destroy neighbors and entire cities with garbage and drugs. They live their entire lives off the hard earned taxes of other Americans. Yet somehow they are the victims. What insanity I that?
Post Thu Aug 14, 2014 8:27 am 
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

Washington Post

National

In Ferguson, Washington Post reporter Wesley Lowery gives account of his arrest

Washington Post reporter Wesley Lowery was detained by police on Wednesday while reporting on the unrest in Ferguson, Mo., following the fatal shooting of unarmed teen Michael Brown by police over the weekend. (The Washington Post)

By Wesley Lowery August 14 at 5:58 AM 

FERGUSON, Mo. — For the past week in Ferguson, reporters have been using the McDonald’s a few blocks from the scene of Michael Brown’s shooting as a staging area. Demonstrations have blown up each night nearby. But inside there’s WiFi and outlets, so it’s common for reporters to gather there.

That was the case Wednesday. My phone was just about to die, so as I charged it, I used the time to respond to people on Twitter and do a little bit of a Q&A since I wasn’t out there covering the protests.

As I sat there, many armed officers came in — some who were dressed as normal officers, others who were dressed with more gear.

Initially, both Ryan Reilly of the Huffington Post and I were asked for identification. I was wearing my lanyard, but Ryan asked why he had to show his ID. They didn’t press the point, but one added that if we called 911, no one would answer.

Then they walked away. Moments later, the police reemerged, telling us that we had to leave. I pulled my phone out and began recording video.

An officer with a large weapon came up to me and said, “Stop recording.”

I said, “Officer, do I not have the right to record you?”

He backed off but told me to hurry up. So I gathered my notebook and pens with one hand while recording him with the other hand.

As I exited, I saw Ryan to my left, having a similar argument with two officers. I recorded him, too, and that angered the officer. As I made my way toward the door, the officers gave me conflicting information.

One instructed me to exit to my left. As I turned left, another officer emerged, blocking my path.

Advertisement

“Go another way,” he said.

As I turned, my backpack, which was slung over one shoulder, began to slip. I said, “Officers, let me just gather my bag.” As I did, one of them said, “Okay, let’s take him.”

Multiple officers grabbed me. I tried to turn my back to them to assist them in arresting me. I dropped the things from my hands.

“My hands are behind my back,” I said. “I’m not resisting. I’m not resisting.” At which point one officer said: “You’re resisting. Stop resisting.”

That was when I was most afraid — more afraid than of the tear gas and rubber bullets.

As they took me into custody, the officers slammed me into a soda machine, at one point setting off the Coke dispenser. They put plastic cuffs on me, then they led me out the door.

I could see Ryan still talking to an officer. I said: “Ryan, tweet that they’re arresting me, tweet that they’re arresting me.”

He didn’t have an opportunity, because he was arrested as well.

The officers led us outside to a police van. Inside, there was a large man sitting on the floor between the two benches. He began screaming: “I can’t breathe! Call a paramedic! Call a paramedic!”

Ryan and I asked the officers if they intended to help the man. They said he was fine. The screaming went on for the 10 to 15 minutes we stood outside the van.

“I’m going to die!” he screamed. “I’m going to die! I can’t breathe! I’m going to die!”

Eventually a police car arrived. A woman — with a collar identifying her as a member of the clergy — sat in the back. Ryan and I crammed in next to her, and we took the three-minute ride to the Ferguson Police Department. The woman sang hymns throughout the ride.

During this time, we asked the officers for badge numbers. We asked to speak to a supervising officer. We asked why we were being detained. We were told: trespassing in a McDonald’s.

“I hope you’re happy with yourself,” one officer told me. And I responded: “This story’s going to get out there. It’s going to be on the front page of The Washington Post tomorrow.”

And he said, “Yeah, well, you’re going to be in my jail cell tonight.”

Once at the station, we were processed, our pockets emptied. No mug shots. They removed our restraints and put us in a holding cell. Ryan was able to get ahold of his dad. I called my mom, but I couldn’t get through. I couldn’t remember any phone numbers.

We were in there for what felt like 10 or 15 minutes. Then the processing officer came in.

“Who’s media?” he asked.

We said we were. And the officer said we were both free to go. We asked to speak to a commanding officer. We asked to see an arrest report. No report, the officer told us, and no, they wouldn’t provide any names.

I asked if there would ever be a report. He came back with a case number and said a report would be available in a week or two.

“The chief thought he was doing you two a favor,” he said.

The Ferguson Police Department did not immediately respond to a request for comment on Lowery’s detention.

The following is a statement on the incident from Washington Post Executive Editor Martin D. Baron:

Wesley has briefed us on what occurred, and there was absolutely no justification for his arrest.

He was illegally instructed to stop taking video of officers. Then he followed officers’ instructions to leave a McDonald’s — and after contradictory instructions on how to exit, he was slammed against a soda machine and then handcuffed. That behavior was wholly unwarranted and an assault on the freedom of the press to cover the news. The physical risk to Wesley himself is obvious and outrageous.

After being placed in a holding cell, he was released with no charges and no explanation. He was denied information about the names and badge numbers of those who arrested him.

We are relieved that Wesley is going to be OK. We are appalled by the conduct of police officers involved.

Wesley Lowery covers Capitol Hill for The Fix and Post Politics.
Post Thu Aug 14, 2014 9:21 am 
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

Washington Post reporter arrested in Ferguson

Wesley Lowery, a reporter for The Washington Post who has been reporting on the unrest in Ferguson, Mo., was detained Wednesday evening by police in Ferguson. He and other reporters were working in a …
Washington Post · ByMark Berman · 2 hours ago.

HuffPost and Washington Post Reporters Detail Assault by Police During Ferguson Arrest

... Lowery accuse the police of trampling on their rights Washington Post reporter Wesley Lowery and the Huffington Post's Ryan Reilly have revealed more details about their arrests by the Ferguson police on …
TheWrap · 35 minutes ago.

HuffPost, Washington Post reporters assaulted, arrested in Ferguson

Washington Post reporter Wesley Lowery and Huffington Post reporter Ryan J. Reilly said on Twitter Wednesday night that they’d been arrested and released while working in a McDonald’s. Both journalists were reporting on the scene in Ferguson ...Poynter. · ByAndrew Beaujon · 6 hours ago
Post Thu Aug 14, 2014 9:22 am 
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

News about MSNBC Reporter Lee On Ferguson

bing.com/news

Ferguson Protests Met With Heavy Police Response, 2 Reporters And Alderman Arrested

Ferguson Protests Met With Heavy Police Response, 2 Reporters And Alderman Arrested

The Huffington Post · 2 hours ago

"Shit, shit," shouted msnbc.com's Trymaine Lee, as his network attempted ... Huffington Post reporter Ryan J. Reilly is arrested when police officers suddenly…

Nightmare in Ferguson: Cops become a brutal occupying force

Salon · 10 hours ago

SWAT Team Called On Peaceful Protesters In Ferguson — Police Arrest Journalists, Fire Tear Gas And Rubber Bullets

The Business Insider · 5 hours ago

See also: More stories · Top stories

Stay up-to-date on this news topic.

Follow Trymaine Lee's reporting on the ground in Ferguson ...

www.msnbc.com/msnbc/...lees-reporting-the...ferguson
1 day ago
Aug 13, 2014 · Take a look at Trymaine Lee's reporting via Twitter in Michael Brown's ... Follow Trymaine Lee’s reporting on the ground in Ferguson ... Top msnbc ...
Post Thu Aug 14, 2014 9:25 am 
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

Business Insider
Law & Order More: Police

SWAT Team Called On Peaceful Protesters In Ferguson — Police Arrest Journalists, Fire Tear Gas And Rubber Bullets

Paul Szoldra
 

Aug. 13, 2014, 7:13 PM

A member of the St. Louis County Police Department points his weapon in the direction of a group of protesters in Ferguson, Missouri, on Wednesday. On Saturday, a police officer fatally shot Michael Brown, an unarmed black teenager, in the St. Louis suburb.

Police officers in Ferguson, Missouri, fired tear gas and rubber bullets into a crowd of peaceful protesters after telling them to go home, declaring they were "no longer a peaceful protest" on Wednesday evening.

Tensions began to rise as a large police SWAT team came on the scene around 6 p.m. CDT and ordered the demonstrators to disperse, reported The Huffington Post's Ryan J. Reilly.

Soon after the team of more than 70 officers came on the scene, they told protesters they needed to leave the area and that "this [was] not open for discussion," Reilly tweeted. MSNBC reporter Trymaine Lee tweeted that the police told the crowd, "Go home, return to your vehicles." The protesters responded, "Mike can't go home!"

"Your right to assembly is not being denied," the police said later over a loudspeaker.

Washington Post reporter Wesley Lowery and The Huffington Post's Ryan Reilly were live-tweeting from the scene, but both went silent around 6:45 p.m. CDT, with their last updates saying a police SWAT team had come into the McDonald's restaurant where they were working and asked for identification.

This news came around the same time that Guardian reporter Jon Swaine tweeted that he saw two reporters being handcuffed and put into a police van. Lowery later confirmed they were both arrested and uploaded video of the incident.

"[The police] slammed me into the soda machine, grabbed my bag, grabbed my phone, and put me in temporary restraints," Lowery told MSNBC's Rachel Maddow, adding that his press credentials were around his neck at the time.

Reilly, who told MSNBC's Chris Hayes that an officer slammed his head against glass and "sarcastically apologized for it," said he asked for the arresting officer's badge and name repeatedly but that it was never given.

"Officers decided we weren't leaving McDonalds quickly enough, shouldn't have been taping them," Lowery tweeted, also writing: "Released without any charges, no paperwork whatsoever."

Of Lowery's arrest, Mark Berman wrote in The Washington Post:

Lowery was illegally instructed to stop taking video and followed police instructions, Baron said, after which he was slammed into a machine and handcuffed.

'That behavior was wholly unwarranted and an assault on the freedom of the press to cover the news,' [Executive Editor Martin] Baron said. 'The physical risk to Wesley himself is obvious and outrageous.'

At about 9 p.m. PDT, police told the protesters — who would not disperse — that they were "no longer a peaceful protest," and they began firing tear gas and rubber bullets. Officers pushed forward into the crowds, using a deafening siren as people attempted to flee.

On one live-stream, a police loudspeaker instructed people to turn off their cameras. One protester responded that they were "telling the media to turn off their cameras because they don't want no fu--ing witnesses."

Ferguson has seen a wave of protests following the Saturday death of 18-year-old Michael Brown, an unarmed black man who was shot and killed by a still-unnamed Ferguson police officer. Most protests have been peaceful — although it has occasionally turned violent — while heavily armed police officers have been a staple at the events, clad in military-style uniforms and equipment and riding in a massive armored vehicle called a Bearcat.

The Wall Street Journal reports:

Local officials have been trying to ease tensions in Ferguson, a city of 21,000 that's about two-thirds African American, promising a transparent and unbiased investigation into the death of Mr. Brown. Those efforts included a town-hall style meeting Tuesday night where Ferguson Police Chief Thomas Jackson and other city officials spoke.

"As long as violence stays down, our presence will stay down," Ferguson Police Chief Thomas Jackson said in a news conference earlier Wednesday.

Here are some of the images and video being shared from the scene:

SEE ALSO: This Is The Terrifying Result Of The Militarization Of Police
Post Thu Aug 14, 2014 9:34 am 
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

Military & Defense More: Military Police

This Is The Terrifying Result Of The Militarization Of Police

Paul Szoldra

Aug. 12, 2014, 4:05 PM

feguson
REUTERS/Mario Anzuoni

Police officers ride an armored vehicle as they patrol a street in Ferguson, Missouri.

While serving as a U.S. Marine on patrol in Afghanistan, we wore desert camouflage to blend in with our surroundings, carried rifles to shoot back when under enemy attack, and drove around in armored vehicles to ward off roadside bombs.

We looked intimidating, but all of our vehicles and equipment had a clear purpose for combat against enemy forces. So why is this same gear being used on our city streets?

On Saturday, a police officer in Ferguson, Missouri, shot and killed 18-year-old Michael Brown, an unarmed black man. In the days that have followed, the town with a population of about 21,000 has seen massive protests in response to the shooting, as some witnesses said Brown had his hands up when he was killed.

Putting aside what started the protests for a moment, it's worth discussing the police response to the outrage. In photos taken Monday, we are shown a heavily armed SWAT team.

They have short-barreled 5.56-mm rifles based on the military M4 carbine, with scopes that can accurately hit a target out to 500 meters. On their side they carry pistols. On their front, over their body armor, they carry at least four to six extra magazines, loaded with 30 rounds each.

Their uniform would be mistaken for a soldier's if it weren't for their "Police" patches. They wear green tops, and pants fashioned after the U.S. Marine Corps MARPAT camouflage pattern. And they stand in front of a massive uparmored truck called a Bearcat, similar in look to a mine-resistant ambush protected vehicle, or as the troops who rode in them call it, the MRAP.

When did this become OK? When did "protect and serve" turn into "us versus them"?

"Why do these cops need MARPAT camo pants again," I asked on Twitter this morning. One of the most interesting responses came from a follower who says he served in the Army's 82nd Airborne Division: "We rolled lighter than that in an actual warzone."

Let's be clear: This is not a war zone — even if the FAA banned flights under 3,000 feet. This is a city outside of St. Louis where people on both sides are angry. Protesters have looted and torched a gas station, and shots were fired at police, according to The Washington Post.

The scene is tense, but the presence of what looks like a military force doesn't seem to be helping.

"Bring it. You very animals, bring it," one police officer was caught on video telling protesters. In Ferguson and beyond, it seems that some police officers have shed the blue uniform and have put on the uniform and gear of the military, bringing the attitude along with it.

Matt Ford, the social-media editor at The Atlantic, summed it up well:

And here's journalist Radley Balko, author of "Rise of the Warrior Cop":

In Afghanistan, we patrolled in big, armored trucks. We wore uniforms that conveyed the message, "We are a military force, and we are in control right now." Many Afghans saw us as occupiers.

And now we see some of our police officers in this same way. "The militarization of law enforcement is counter-productive to domestic policing and needs to stop," tweeted Andrew Exum, a former Army infantry officer.

If there's one thing I learned in Afghanistan, it's this: You can't win a person's heart and mind when you are pointing a rifle at his or her chest.

Michael B. Kelley contributed to this report.

Correction: The vehicle in the photo is a Bearcat, not an MRAP. The post has been edited to correct this.

mickmcgoo on Aug 12, 9:54 PM said:
@winston smith: If Police are going to dress, act, armor-up and engage in tactics like a military organization, don't be surprised if the "enemy", US citizens, begin armoring up as well and engaging in resistance against these "tacticool" goons.

jp32 on Aug 12, 4:41 PM said:
@Johnny Disaster: Yes, and if you actually bothered to watch the video of that shootout, you would have seen dozens of completely incompetent cops shooting hundreds (thousands?) of rounds at a single armed robber wearing some body armor. Not a single one of those rounds was aimed well enough to hit one of the many open 'soft' spots not covered by the jacket and helmet, including the suspects lower body/legs/ankles; but they did manage to shoot up pretty much every car in the parking lot. Eventually one cop actually thought for a second and took him out from behind as he walked down the street.

That event is an example of why we need fewer, smarter, and better trained cops, not more up-armored thugs playing out fantasies with live ammo on the public that they are supposed to protect and serve.

jp32 on Aug 13, 9:35 AM said:
@LOL: Looks like you owe me two lunches
- one for the cop in the video that did eventually figure it out and get off what looked like a neck shot, and

- the second for my good friend who's been in more armed combat than we want to hear about, and has a very low opinion of cop's general shooting abilities from having worked with them after deployment, and the same laughing opinion of the N.Hollywood incident video (and who I'm quite sure could have made a good shot in that situation, since he could make the PD qualifying in 3seconds, 6 shots, 3" cluster, using his off-hand unsupported, and knows about taking a breath to get off a good shot even/especially in combat.).

Yes, the standard instruction is to shoot at the main body mass and not try any "tricky" limb or head shots. BUT, the N.Hollywood situation was point-blank range (i.e., close enough to need no aiming compensation for windage, etc.), and as you [pointed out, some of them got rifles too. Moreover, they WEREN'T EVEN HITTING the main body mass!! It looked like some comedy where the safest spot was the target's location -- all they were doing was spray-and-pray.

Some of those cops were shooting from just a few cars over -- yet not one of them took a second to breath and settle their aim and squeeze off a good shot. Not one of them even thought to just duck down and shoot the guys feet under the cars -- woulda stopped him quick (yes, Monday AM quarterbacking, but you'd think the option might have come up in training at least once). Just spray and pray isn't effective.

Similar situation with the NYC incident a couple years ago where they killed a guy coming out of a bar on the way to his wedding. Nevermind whether it was justified, the cops put 59 bullets into the surrounding neighborhood and only a couple into the unarmed suspect.

Seriously, I don't think it is asking much to require actual shooting SKILL (as opposed to minimal safety req.) of the people to whom the govt issues arms and sends out on the street.

bldigrrn on Aug 13, 4:39 AM said:
We need to have a national conversation about the up-armoring of police, and their proclivity for treating citizens like enemy combatants-- and fast.
We are getting one news story per month now about how trigger-happy cops have killed another unarmed, undeserving citizen.
When you gift police departments with military hardware, and you have some of the most insecure bullies on the force, it doesn't take a genius to see what's going to happen.
The police who made that comment about "animals" is precisely the problem. He should be made an example of, and law enforcement should be taking pains to exclude such people from their employ.
This is getting scary.

dug on Aug 13, 9:53 AM said:
Now you see why civilians need to exercise the right to bear arms to the highest level possible, including semi-automatic and fully automatic weapons. If these "police officers" decide to 'shoot to kill' rather then 'protect and serve', what's to stop them? Not a citizen and his 6 shooter. American police departments are becoming private militias controlled by local officials. It is only a matter of time before one of these local officials goes off the deep end. Police officers calling citizens animals and telling them to 'bring it on' is completely unacceptable and counter to what being a police officer means.

Read more: http://www.businessinsider.com/police-militarization-ferguson-2014-8#ixzz3ANSL3nbt
Post Thu Aug 14, 2014 9:51 am 
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

It is worthwhile to go to the actual website for the photos of the actions.

A photo of a laser trained on the back of a man departing the scene

A photo of an officer with his weapon trained on the ocupants of a car leaving the area

A photo of a gas cloud three times higher than the trees

Photos of armed military style officers on top of military type vehicles with weapons aimed at the citizens
Post Thu Aug 14, 2014 9:56 am 
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

Cop Block | Facebook

https://www.facebook.com/CopBlock?directed_target_id=0

Cop Block. 915,456 likes · 944,694 ... Facebook logo. Email ... Saturday afternoon in Ferguson, Missouri, police shot and killed an unarmed teenage boy who was ...

Cop Block - Official Site

www.copblock.org

Cop Block is a decentralized project supported by a diverse group of individuals united by their shared goal of police accountability.
Post Thu Aug 14, 2014 10:05 am 
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

Ferguson Police Chief Defends Use of Force, Tear Gas ...

Ferguson Police Chief Defends Use of Force, Tear Gas, Rubber Bullets
abcnews.go.com/US/ferguson-police-chief-defends-force-tear-gas...

Aug 13, 2014 · Police and protesters in Ferguson, Missouri, ... "There are complaints about the ... and respectful manner," a statement from the police department ...

Ferguson Police Department - Official Site

www.fergusoncity.com/index.aspx?NID=92

The Ferguson Police Department provides protection of life and property in Ferguson through the enforcement of laws and ordinances and assistance with emergency ...

Ferguson, MO - Official Website | Official Website

www.fergusoncity.com

Ferguson is proud to have ... Ferguson Fire Department. ... A group of students from Dr. Robert Wilson's undergraduate history class in the Honors College at the ...

Missouri State Senator Said She Was Tear Gassed ...

Missouri State Senator Said She Was Tear Gassed, Questioned Police Response In Ferguson, Mo.
www.buzzfeed.com/alisonvingiano/missouri...gassed-in-ferguson-asked

1. On Wednesday afternoon, Ferguson Police Chief Tom Jackson held a news conference to discuss the fatal shooting of Michael Brown. During the event, Missouri …
Post Thu Aug 14, 2014 10:12 am 
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

Missouri State Senator Said She Was Tear Gassed, Questioned Police Response In Ferguson, Mo.

“Do you know if I’m going to gassed again, like I was Monday night?” Police Chief Thomas Jackson addressed complaints about the department’s response to protests following the fatal shooting of Michael Brown.
posted on Aug. 13, 2014.

On Wednesday afternoon, Ferguson Police Chief Tom Jackson held a news conference to discuss the fatal shooting of Michael Brown.

During the event, Missouri State Senator Maria Chappelle-Nadal, said she was among the peaceful protestors who were hit with tear gas Monday night.

She asked Jackson if she would be gassed again.

The police chief remained stoic, until he heard she was a State Senator. Then, with a shocked look, he responded “I hope not.”

Brown’s death has prompted a federal inquiry, nightly protests in Ferguson, and debate around the country about law enforcement and the media treatment of minorities.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The Senator later stated the Police Chief "blew me off".

Rumors that the Senator was arrested were false.
Post Thu Aug 14, 2014 10:19 am 
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

Ferguson Police Use Tear Gas While Again Clashing With Protesters

ABC news

Aug 13, 2014, 10:47 PM ET

By COLLEEN CURRY

video: A device deployed by police goes off in the street as police and protesters clash Wednesday, Aug. 13, 2014, in Ferguson, Mo., the St. Louis suburb where an unarmed black teen was shot and killed by a police officer.

Police and protesters in Ferguson, Missouri, clashed again tonight, as police used smoke bombs and tear gas to disperse the crowd.

Unrest has roiled the city of Ferguson, a suburb of St. Louis, since 18-year-old Michael Brown was shot and killed by a police officer Saturday afternoon.

Two reporters said they were detained tonight while working at a McDonald's in the area and witnesses told ABC News police that officers appeared to be trying to clear the streets at all costs.

The police department has been criticized for its heavily-armed response to protesters, some of whom looted and vandalized stores on Sunday night.

Ferguson police chief Tom Jackson today defended his department's use of rubber bullets and tear gas to quell protesters.

"There are complaints about the response from some people, but to me, nobody got hurt seriously, and I’m happy about that. I’m happy that nobody got hurt," Jackson said at a press conference today. Earlier he told ABC News the police had only used tear gas and rubber bullets when protests had turned violent on recent nights.

Jackson also defended the use of riot gear being used by the officers as necessary to protect police from what he said was a trend around the country of increasingly dangerous street weapons. The Associated Press reported that some people threw molotov cocktails at officers tonight.

"None of that was military equipment. All the SWAT teams have big vans with that. People are using bombs now, pipe bombs and so forth," he said before tonight's clashes.

Earlier today Jackson asked protesters to remain peaceful during their gatherings and to disperse before nightfall, but said there was no curfew in place.

"We ask that any residents wishing to assemble in prayer or in protest do so only during daylight hours in an organized and respectful manner," a statement from the police department said. "We further ask that all those wishing to demonstrate or assemble to disperse well before the evening hours to ensure the safety of the participants."

Despite the chief's urging that gatherings disperse before sundown, another vigil was held for Brown's supporters. Before that, Jackson planned to march with civil rights leaders as a show of support to them.

The shooting death of Brown has angered the town, with many residents demanding a full, transparent investigation into why an officer fired multiple shots at an unarmed teenager. Brown's family, the NAACP, and the Rev. Al Sharpton have all demanded the police identify the officer involved.

Jackson was adamant, however, that he would not release the name of the officer who shot Brown due to concerns for the officer's safety. Even if Brown's family began to take legal steps to have the name made public, "there's the appeal process," Jackson told ABC.

Brown's parents' attorney, Benjamin Crump, told ABC News today that the family was still deciding whether to sue the department to force the release of the officer's name.

Jackson said today that the name of a different officer had been circulated on social media as the identity of the shooter, and Jackson had to move that officer and his family out of Ferguson to protect them. Jackson himself has received death threats, including a "nice young woman's voice" telling him "I want you to die."

The FBI is investigating Brown’s death. The shooting happened following a fight with the officer, police said. Witnesses say the officer shot after Brown raised his hands.

The officer who shot Brown has been placed on administrative leave.

Jackson said today that St. Louis Count police were waiting until they had spoken to all of the witnesses of the incident before releasing any details about the shooting, the number of bullets fired and where on the body they hit.

The Associated Press contributed to this story.
Post Thu Aug 14, 2014 10:25 am 
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

Ferguson Police Chief:

"None of that was military equipment. All the SWAT teams have big vans with that. People are using bombs now, pipe bombs and so forth," he said before tonight's clashes.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This comment does not mesh with all of the former military identifying the equipment a military!

Last edited by untanglingwebs on Thu Aug 14, 2014 10:38 am; edited 1 time in total
Post Thu Aug 14, 2014 10:27 am 
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

White Man Yells Racist Insults at Black People in Ferguson, Missouri (Video)

Opposing Views · 1 day ago

A video of an unidentified white man driving around Ferguson, Mo., and insulting black people surfaced today. Ferguson has experienced protests, riots and…

Racist Violence in America

Global Research · 1 day ago

Drive-By Racist in Ferguson Says “Go Back to Africa”

Ring of Fire · 20 hours ago

Ferguson, Missouri Protest Of Michael Brown Death Swarmed ..

Ferguson, Missouri Protest Of Michael Brown Death Swarmed By SWAT Team
www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/08/13/ferguson-protest-swat-team_n...

Aug 13, 2014 · Scores of SWAT officers swarmed Ferguson, Missouri, where unrest has broken out this week in the wake of a teenager's death. Michael

www.opposingviews.com/i/society/guns/white-man...

A video of an unidentified white man driving around Ferguson, Mo., and insulting black people surfaced today. Ferguson has experienced protests, …

Ferguson’s Militarized & Racist Response to Protests ...

dissenter.firedoglake.com/2014/08/12/fergusons-militarized-racist...

Aug 12, 2014 · Police clad in riot gear fired rubber bullets and tear gas at predominantly black residents near a QuikTrip in Ferguson, Missouri.

Watch: Jerk Videotapes His Racist Rant Against Blacks In ...

www.alan.com/...videotapes-his-racist-rant-against-blacks-in-ferguson
1 day ago
Aug 12, 2014 · A white man driving around in Ferguson, Missouri, in his 2014 yellow Camaro, decided to taunt people who were there to protest the shooting of an unarmed ...

What Sort of White Person Do You Want to Be? The Cowardly ...

www.alternet.org/speakeasy/chaunceydevega/what-sort-white-person...

What Sort of White Person Do You Want to Be? The Cowardly Police Shot and Killed an Unarmed Black Teenager Named Michael Brown Eight Times Yesterday in Ferguson, Missouri

In Ferguson, the toxic legacy of racism | HeraldTribune.com

www.heraldtribune.com › Today's Paper
10 hours ago
Aug 14, 2014 · The FBI may be able to answer the many questions surrounding the death of Michael Brown, an 18-year-old black student from Ferguson, Missouri, who …
Post Thu Aug 14, 2014 10:37 am 

Jump to:  
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Last Topic | Next Topic  >

Forum Rules: