FAQFAQ   SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlistRegisterRegister  ProfileProfile   Log in[ Log in ]  Flint Talk RSSFlint Talk RSS

»Home »Open Chat »Political Talk  Â»Flint Journal »Political Jokes »The Bob Leonard Show  

Flint Michigan online news magazine. We have lively web forums

FlintTalk.com Forum Index > Political Talk

Topic: Howard Boys Trial and song "Pat Around"
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
  Author    Post Post new topic Reply to topic
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

Pg 12 of 17

In United States v Smith, 133 S.Ct. 714 (2013), a case involving withdrawal from a conspiracy, the Supreme Court discussed the continuing nature of conspiracies. " A conspiracy is continuing offense.... a defendant who as joined a conspiracy continues to violate the law 'through every movement of [the conspiracy's] existence', and he becomes responsible for the acts of his co-conspirators in pursuit of their common plot." 'Id. at 719 quoting Hyde v United States, 225 U.S. 347, 369 (1912)
Post Wed Jul 02, 2014 7:05 am 
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

The government included photos from the screen shots n Facebook.

673-6 is a photo entitled "real niggas forever"

user #1- Jig Brown
user #2- Mrs-itiswatitis Get-itinblood
user 33- JohnBoy Oldham

JohnBoy Oldham comment: "me and my baby bro on one of them x days...men sht fucked up. they then take some real niggas fro th streets.

HowardAve responded"Ds for my true souljas like johnboy and lil jig

Leon Gills is shown with head phones entitled "with southside gunman"

Another photo shows a view of Howard estates and i entitled "Howard Block were(sp) I stand Murda Ville is da camp."
Post Wed Jul 02, 2014 7:20 am 
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

Woman accused of tampering with witness in Flint federal Howard Boys gang trial
t
Gary Ridley | gridley@mlive.com By Gary Ridley | gridley@mlive.com
Follow on Twitter
on July 08, 2014 at 5:51 AM, updated July 08, 2014 at 5:56 AM

FLINT, MI -- A family member of two suspected gang members on trial in a massive federal racketeering case is accused of tampering with a witness who was expected to testify.

The 36-year-old woman, who has not yet been arraigned, was charged Monday, July 7, in Flint U.S. District Court after she allegedly approached a witness who was subpoenaed to testify in the case of Jonathon and Jatimothy Walker -- two brothers who are charged with four other men for their role in the alleged Howard Boys street gang.

A person who was subpoenaed to testify in the case met July 3 with federal authorities to express concerns over their safety if they were to go forward with testifying, according to an affidavit filed by the Federal Bureau of Investigation.

The person was expected to testify Monday, July 7, but a woman related to the Walkers approached the witness outside of the courthouse and told the witness that they did not need to testify, according to the affidavit.

The witness then told authorities that they refused to testify.

No new court date has been scheduled for the woman.

This isn't the first time someone allegedly associated with the gang has been accused of trying to influence the case.

Ann Arbor-based attorney John Minock, who represents suspected gang member Johnathan L. Oldham, filed a motion June 17, asking Flint U.S. District Judge Mark A. Goldsmith to declare a mistrial after Minock argued jurors have been followed home by people possibly associated with the gang.

Minock argues in his motion that several jurors believe that they have been followed when leaving court by people they believe are somehow associated with the suspects on trial.

Prosecutors claim the men charged in the case used threats and violence to protect their business of selling drugs and illegal weapons on the city's south side.

Here is a brief look at the charges each suspect is facing:
•Jamil Cureton -- Charged with racketeering and selling crack cocaine to a customer Sept. 9, 2009, near 12th Street and Lapeer Road in Flint.

•Leon Gills -- Charged with racketeering, two counts of attempted murder in support of racketeering and two counts of using a gun in a violent crime. Authorities say Gills attempted to kill four people March 17, 2009, when he shot into a vehicle at 3280 Lippincott Boulevard in Burton. Authorities also claimed that he attempted to kill Charles Orr, another alleged Howard Boys member, July 22, 2009, after Orr allegedly killed Oldham's brother.

•Johnathan Oldham -- Charged with racketeering, murder in support of racketeering, attempted murder in support of racketeering, six controlled substances violations, two counts of using a firearm in a violent crime, possessing an unregistered firearm, possessing a defaced firearm and dealing firearms without a license. Authorities say Oldham killed Malachi Wilson June 15, 2009, at Howard Estates. He is also accused of attempting to kill a second person Feb. 13, 2010, at the Boogie Down Motorcycle Club during a dispute with a member of the Drifters Motorcycle Club.

•Jonathan Walker -- Charged with racketeering, murder in support of racketeering, attempted murder in support of racketeering and using a gun during a violent crime. Authorities claim Walker killed Marion Hardy Aug. 1, 2006, at Howard Estates. Witnesses have testified in state court that Hardy stripped off his shirt and "squared up" to fight, but Jatimothy Walker, Jonathan's brother, responded by shooting Hardy. Then, a witness testified, both Walkers proceeded to shoot Hardy. He is also accused of attempting to kill Alonzo Golfin Feb. 7, 2010, after Golfin, an alleged member of a rival gang, was found on Howard Boys turf.

•Jatimothy Walker -- Charged with racketeering and murdering Hardy in support of racketeering.

•Alexandra Norwood -- Charged with racketeering and murder in support of racketeering. Norwood is accused of fatally shooting Jonathan Parker July 17, 2004, near Crocker Avenue and Lippincott Boulevard.
Post Tue Jul 08, 2014 8:14 am 
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

There has been a core group of women present at many of the hearings. Often they congregate on the steps of the Court House.
Post Tue Jul 08, 2014 8:16 am 
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

Second woman accused of witness tampering in federal Howard Boys racketeering trial
Print Gary Ridley | gridley@mlive.com By Gary Ridley | gridley@mlive.com

on July 08, 2014 at 2:00 PM, updated July 08, 2014 at 2:08 PM

FLINT, MI -- A second woman has been accused of tampering with a witness who was expected to testify in a massive federal racketeering trial against alleged members of a violent street gang.

Federal authorities claimed in a Monday, July 7, criminal complaint that the 30-year-old woman approached a witness outside the Flint U.S. District Court and attempted to manipulate the testimony he was expected to give.

The woman has not yet been indicted or arraigned on the tampering charge.

Six men are on trial in Flint U.S. District Court in connection with the alleged Howard Boys gang. Prosecutors claim the group used threats and violence to protect their business of selling drugs and illegal weapons on the city's south side.

The Federal Bureau of Investigation claims that the witness arrived outside of the courthouse Monday, and a court security officer observed someone handing the witness a piece of paper, according to an affidavit filed in the case.

An FBI agent approached the witness and observed the woman next to the witness. The affidavit claims the FBI agent asked the witness what they were reading, and the woman grabbed the paper away from the witness.

"It's my piece of paper," the affidavit claims the woman told the FBI agent.

However, the agent was able to identify the paper as the statement from a witness who was testifying about the same incident this witness was subpoenaed to testify about.

The FBI also claims that they recovered letters from the woman's purse that allegedly revealed Jonathon Oldham, one of those on trial, had previously instructed her to relay messages to others on his behalf.

Oldham's Ann Arbor-based attorney, John Minock, filed a motion June 17, asking Flint U.S. District Judge Mark A. Goldsmith to declare a mistrial after he argued jurors have been followed home by people possibly associated with the gang.

Minock argued in his motion that several jurors believe that they have been followed when leaving court by people they believe are somehow associated with the suspects on trial.

A second woman was also charged Monday with witness tampering after she allegedly approached the witness outside of the courthouse and told the witness that they did not need to testify.

The witness refused to testify following the meeting.
Post Tue Jul 08, 2014 3:15 pm 
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

One witness described how his previous statements were repeatedly shoved under his door. Another witness was placed in protective custody.
Post Tue Jul 08, 2014 3:17 pm 
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

July 7, 2014 at 6:18 pm
Two women charged with threatening witnesses in trial against Howard Boys gang members
Robert Snell
The Detroit News

Detroit— Two women were charged in federal court Monday after allegedly threatening witnesses in a trial against members of a purportedly violent street gang.

The alleged witness tampering happened in Flint on the sidelines of a trial of six men accused of being involved with the Howard Boys street gang. Twelve people were charged originally in a case that involves murder, racketeering, drug dealing and weapons.

The defendants include brothers Jatimothy and Jonathan Walker, both face up to life in prison if convicted.

Their sister, Etoile Walker, 36, allegedly approached a witness outside federal court in Flint early Monday and told the woman “that she did not need to testify,” according to FBI Special Agent Gustavo Grodsinsky.

Minutes later, the witness, Janay Moss, refused to testify despite being subpoenaed, according to court records. Moss had earlier expressed concerns about her safety, Grodsinsky wrote in a criminal complaint.

If convicted of witness tampering, Walker faces up to 20 years in prison.

It was unclear Monday whether the witnesses will be forced to testify during the trial, which continued despite the alleged tampering.

A second woman also has been charged with witness tampering involving a second witness but the complaint was not immediately available in federal court.

The trial, indirectly, has delayed former Detroit Mayor Kwame Kilpatrick’s appeal of his 28-year sentence and conviction in the City Hall corruption case.

That’s because his lawyer, Harold Gurewitz, represents one of the defendants in the Howard Street gang case. Last week, Gurewitz cited the trial in asking for more time to file Kilpatrick’s appeal brief.

In the Howard Street gang case, prosecutors indicted 12 people two years ago and alleged the gang had operated on the south side of Flint in and around the Howard Estates housing complex since 2002.

Gang members used violence to maintain control over their territory and committed murders, the government said.

rsnell@detroitnews.com
(313) 222-2028

From The Detroit News: http://www.detroitnews.com/article/20140707/METRO01/307070079#ixzz36znSDnzl
Post Wed Jul 09, 2014 1:07 pm 
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

Before the announcement of the attempted witness tampering, it was obvious that something was amiss in the Courtroom. I remember going to the Clerk's office to get some documents I needed and then entered the Court room. I immediately knew something was off because I was the only observer in the Court. I remember looking around and waiting to be asked to leave. When one of the security officials stood at the door as if to bar entry, I grew more apprehensive.

The witness on the stand was asked several tims to explain about statements being given to him at his home. He stated these were his statements previously given in testimony. I knew who was testifying, but decided not to print that information.

The next day I entered the Court and was told the Court was closed for an hour. The security was tight and everyone was tense. I researched in the clerk's office and had to get someone to assist with my document copies as there was no one in the clerk's office.

The court did not appear ready to reconvene. As I left the Special Agent TS in charge of the "Safe Streets" Task Force was in the entry room with the security people. Natuarlly I left.

Last edited by untanglingwebs on Fri Jul 11, 2014 8:28 pm; edited 1 time in total
Post Thu Jul 10, 2014 7:29 am 
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

A few months ago Washington confirmed the four new Judges for the Eastern District that Obama named a year ago. With no duty Judge available in Flint, the two women were arraigned in Bay City. The Court was secured with a number of new agents that were called in from other jurisdictions.

I had told a friend that "John Boy" seemed different. He mimed the words and acted out the rap song by Gills in front of the jury. He also seemed to smile inappropriately, meaning he smiled and looked silly when serious crimes were being descried. They warned me to not be fooled as he was just cold-blooded.

Last edited by untanglingwebs on Fri Jul 11, 2014 8:29 pm; edited 1 time in total
Post Thu Jul 10, 2014 7:37 am 
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

Case 2:14-mj-30331

United States of America vs Etoile M. Walker

18USC Sec 11512(b)(1) Tampering with a witness

Complaint filed by Gustavo A. Grodinsky, Special Agent FBI
sworn July7, 2014 Detroit Michigan R Steven Whalen , US Magistrate Judge

Janay Moss was subpoened on April 1, 2014, to testify in the RICO case, USA v Norwood, et al.

Moss and her attorney met with an FBI agent and others at the US Attorney's Office in Flint on July 3, 2014. It was during this meeting tat Moss expressed her concerns about her safety.

Moss appeared at the federal courthouse in Flint on July 7, 2014. While Moss was entering the courthouse, an FBI agent observed Etoile M. Walker, the sister of defendants Jatimothy E and Jonathon E Walker, approach Moss and tell her she did not have to testify. After this conversation, Moss met with her attorney and a FBI Special Agent, and reused to testify.

11. "Based on the foregoing, I have probable cause to believe that on uly 7,2014, n the Eastern District of michigan, Etoile M. Walker did knowinglycorruptly persuade Janay moss with the intent to influence delay, or preventthe testimony of Janay Moss, in violation of 18 U.S.C. 1512(b)(1)"
Post Thu Jul 10, 2014 11:42 am 
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

My first introduction to the concept of Hubris, the literary use of characters with excessive pride and arrogance, was in high school studying the Illiad and Achilles. I thought of that Hubris when I watched the cross examination of defendant Leon Gills. If this was a book, this is a character about to bring about his downfall though his arrogance and the overestimation of his capability to have a show down with the Assistant United States Attorney Anthony Vance.

And it was a show down. Gills was confrontational and combative, refusing to answer some questions and demanding Vance answer him. Vance told him more than once, "you don't get to ask questions, you answer questions, I ask you questions." As Vance continued to challenge the veracity of Gills testimony, Gills became increasingly hostile. After questioning about his statements to police regarding one of the shootings he was involved in, Gills lost his cool and challenged Vance with "are you trying to say I'm lying?' The judge had to admonish Gills and told him not to ask questions. At another point Gills made a sarcastic response and added "Anthony Vance". It almost sounded like an attempt to intimidate.

Gill admitted lying to a number of individuals and emphasized that he lied to police because the police were dirty and they lied. He lied to Carvell Gordon to boost his reputation as a hard core gangster because Gordon had a reputation as a "known killer" and Gills wanted to look good. Despite admitting numerous lies and misstatements , Gills kept insisting he would not lie "under oath".
Post Tue Jul 15, 2014 8:52 pm 
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

I was surprised the jury was not allowed to have a copy of the 41 page indictment.

Count one sis the Racketeering Conspiracy 18 USC 1962 (d). Overt Acts begns on page 9, paragraph 21.

Page 12, paragraph 37.
On November 12, 2006, Willie j . Chambers, LEON GILLS, and DeClyde P. Brewton traveled together in a vehicle to 1410 S. Saginaw Street, Flint, Michigan, in order for Brewton to conduct a sale of crack cocaine. Chambers also possessed two platic bags containing marijuana.

Paragraph 38
On or about January 15, 2007, near Lapeer Road and Dort Highway, LEON GILLS, Jonathan Walker, and unindicted co-conspirator BM attempted to murder rival gang member DE by shooting at rival gang member DE with a firearm.

Paragraph 39
On or about May 8, 299, on Western Road, Flint , Michigan, Jatimothy E. Walker was with LEON GILLS and another individual in a vehicle, which also contained a Smith and Wesson, 45 caliber handgun. Walker possessed with intent to distribute two bags of cocaine and six "rocks: of crack cocaine.

Note:
When discussing the incident described in paragraph 39, Gills claimed he did not remember because he was high from using cocaine. The bags of cocaine were an ounce each and Gills claimed he never had that much cocaine. He also claimed he was not selling cocaine at that time until US Attorney Vance introduced his arrest record showing cocaine sales.

This incident was a sore spot between Walker and Gills as Walker wanted Gills to share in the ownership of the drugs.
Post Wed Jul 16, 2014 7:30 am 
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

Paragraph 41

On or about April 6, 2008, Sean Cunningham as wit LEON GILLS, in the 1900 block of Howard Avenue, Flint, Michigan, when Cunningham attempted to murder BM by shooting at BM with a firearm.

Paragraph 42

On or about May 20, 2008, at Markus G. Evans' residence of 757 Floral Park, Flint, Michigan, LEON GILLS, and Markus G. Evans were arrested. Police recovered a .22 caliber firearm beneath the couch cushion GILLS was sitting on.

Paragraph 44

On or about March 17, 2009 at 3280 Lippincott Boulevard, Burton, Michigan, LEON GILLS, and Markus G Evans were together in a vehicle when GILLS attempted to murder MB, RD, DM, and RH by shooting into the vehicle which was occupied by the four individuals.

Note:
Gills was losing his cool as Vance went trough the incidents and pointed out inconsistencies in Gills testimony. The incident in paragraph 44 was especially troublesome for Gills, who insisted he as trying to scare not kill. He insisted he shot towards the ground although he had previously testified he shot towards their leg. he also had no explanation why the back window was shot out although he did try a lame ricochet explanation, which was ridiculed by Vance.

Gills also could not explain why he shot at man claiming mistaken identity when the intended victim was nearly 10 inches taller and larger than the man shot. At some point Gills apologized to the shooting victim. Gills disputed he called Joe Nate, the intended victim and threatened Nate and his family.

The shooting may have been in retaliation because Gills claimed the street rumors were that Joe Nate was one of the four masked men ran upon Gills and was the one who shot Gills at one point.

Gills became sulky when questioned by Vance regarding some jewelry that Gill was holding for another person. Was this jewelry from a murder victim and did that lead t the shooting of Gills?

Gills' hubris and conviction he was smarter than Vance was making his denials crumble and he was showing the stress.
Post Wed Jul 16, 2014 8:11 am 
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

Paragraph 46

On or about September 3, 2009, in the 1900 block of Pierson Road, Flint, Michigan, LEON GILLS, possessed a 9mm caliber handgun.

Paragraph 60

On or about December 22, 2009, at 3535 Gloucester Street, Flint, Michigan, Malcolm J. Evans, Markus G. Evans, LEON GILLS, and Sean Cunningham were together in a vehicle where Malcolm J. Evans possessed a quantity of crack cocaine, and GILLS informed police he had swallowed 13 "rocks" of crack cocaine.
Post Wed Jul 16, 2014 8:23 am 
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

Paragraph 66

On or about November 11, 2010, at 710 Dickinson Avenue, Flint, Michigan, LEON GILLS possessed with intent to distribute a quantity of crack cocaine, a digital scale, and $300.00 in cash.

Assistant US Attorney Vance confronted Gills previous testimony regarding his moving from Howard Estates because he no longer trusted his previous cohorts. Gills got annoyed as Vance detailed a time line demonstrating how Gills was shown still associating with and getting arrested with the other Howard Boys.
Post Wed Jul 16, 2014 5:53 pm 

Jump to:  
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Last Topic | Next Topic  >

Forum Rules: