FAQFAQ   SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlistRegisterRegister  ProfileProfile   Log in[ Log in ]  Flint Talk RSSFlint Talk RSS

»Home »Open Chat »Political Talk  Â»Flint Journal »Political Jokes »The Bob Leonard Show  

Flint Michigan online news magazine. We have lively web forums

FlintTalk.com Forum Index > Political Talk

Topic: King 810-representing Flint's hard hitting metal core
Goto page 1, 2  Next
  Author    Post Post new topic Reply to topic
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

When you see the Flint 810 band members at the White Horse they come off as just a nice bunch of guys. It took me months before I found out they were really a hard hitting metal band that was somewhat known for their rowdy shows. They have a new deal with Roadrunner Records and are set for big things in the future. I looked up their concert schedule and they are booked to be on the road most of July.

Many of their older music has been pulled from on-line because their new label wants a fresh start. They have been featured on the Flint Town Throwdown on banana 101.5. Their video on new song Killem All is a collage of Flint stories combined with their unique stage look. Flint plays a prominent role in much of what they do.

Last edited by untanglingwebs on Thu Apr 17, 2014 6:36 am; edited 1 time in total
Post Wed Apr 16, 2014 7:49 pm 
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

King 810 — Stulicker Music Review

www.stulicker.com/king-810

King 810 . In Their Own Words ... "KING is synonymous with Flint,” says David ... The band shies away from the new school attitude and refrains from entertaining ...

Listen 2: King 810 @ARTISTdirect - Free Music Download ...

www.artistdirect.com/entertainment-news/article/listen-2-king-810/...

Apr 01, 2014 · The Flint, MI quartet is beyond ... King 810 raise awareness that the wolves aren't at the door. ... Welcome to King 810. This band is going to take over ...
Post Wed Apr 16, 2014 7:52 pm 
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

IN THEIR OWN WORDS VIA FACEBOOK

Biography

In the current music scene full of infinite sub-genres of metals and cores ranging from black, death, nu, "tech", speed, groove, doom etc. the long time friends that make up members of KING describe themselves simply as "heavy".

Formed in December of 2008 and influenced by the sound of 90’s bands such as Pantera, Sepultura, White Zombie, Korn and Nine inch Nails the quartet never fails to mention the large role their hometown of Flint, MI played in crafting their sound.

"KING is synonymous with Flint,” says David Gunn (vocals). Left in shambles after General Motors, the life-blood of the small city, closed its factory doors, Flint now ranks 5th in the nation as most miserable places to live. With less than one police officer per 1,000 residents it’s also the 2nd most violent city in the United States (FBI) and named Murdertown, USA by The New York Times. This mood is apparent in the potent music, lyrics and in a live show that has been described by publications as raw, violent and even wrong.

The band shies away from the new school attitude and refrains from entertaining any ideas brought on by the internet generation. "We're real people and 100% of everything in our music is real, non-fiction. Stories about my past are full of dead men, jail cells, guns, drugs, conflicts with god, things like that so that’s what’s going on in the music,“ says Gunn.

Within two short years King signed with Equal Vision records and recorded a full length cd (the album would never be released as the band dropped themselves from the label a few months after the record was completed), embarked on three US tours from 2008-2009, sold out of their controversial merchandise on all three of the outings and shared the stage with bands such as Powerman 5000, Veil of Maya, Jeffree Star, Cypress Hill, Bizzy Bone, Taking Back Sunday, Every time I die, Arsis, Necrophagist, Born of Osiris, After the Burial, Darkest Hour, Misery Signals, Suffokation and Origin to name a few.

In November 2009 Gunn suffered multiple gun and knife wounds, the result of a botched robbery in which he was the victim. KING would take 2010 off only to return in 2011 with new material recorded by Detroits Chuck Alkazian who produced and engineered for acts such as Pop Evil, Rookie Of The Year, Juvenile, Universal Records, Sponge, Elton John, The Dayton Family, Uncle Kracker, Obie Trice, 50 Cent, R. Kelly, Christina Aguilera, D12 and The Dave Matthews Band to name a few. The result of the sessions was two unsettling non fictional horror stories with music behind them.
Post Wed Apr 16, 2014 7:55 pm 
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

There hasn't been a band that really shook metal up in a very long time. We're talking about leaving you unsettled, unnerved, and unequivocally wanting more. What was the last debut album that did that? It was Slipknot's self-titled record in 1999 and before that it was Korn's self-titled in 1994. There's a record coming out this year that's going to have the same effect on you, and it's King 810's forthcoming full-length debut.

The Flint, MI quartet is beyond real. They've lived it and breathed it facing unimaginable horrors and trials and tribulations few of us could fathom. You can get a glimpse in the visuals they've put out over the past few years. Their hometown looks like something out of The Book of Eli or The Walking Dead, but this isn't a post-apocalyptic fantasy. This is a real place in America in 2014 that resembles a violent bereft dystopia. King 810 raise awareness that the wolves aren't at the door. They're among us, and as a nation we should pay way more attention to that. At the same time, that's not the point.

This is personal, and you can feel it in your gut with the band's latest offering "Killem All". It's a corrosively catchy anthem that defies categorization. There's a metallic edge and honed musicianship as well as some hardcore and punk sensibilities, but the bounce proves distinctly hip-hop yet there's no rapping. This is something dynamic, distinct, and dangerous. It's also undeniable. You'll hear it once, and you'll let it repeat.

Mind you, this is only a prelude of the beautiful madness to come. Welcome to King 810. This band is going to take over and "Killem all"...

—Rick Florino

What do you think?

Watch the video below!

Read more at http://www.artistdirect.com/entertainment-news/article/listen-2-king-810/10916957#L1OBWUqE4w4PxAIc.99
Post Wed Apr 16, 2014 7:57 pm 
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

Their Facebook page also has their tour schedule. I am jealous as they are going to the United kingdom to play.
Post Thu Apr 17, 2014 6:34 am 
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

Top Ten Most Anticipated 2014 Hard Rock & Metal Albums: King 810
http://www.artistdirect.com/entertainment-news/article/top-ten-most-anticipated-2014-hard-rock-metal-albums-king-810/10857187 - 32k - Cached - Similar pages
Jan 6, 2014 ... There's a lot of deep, dark secrets in Flint, MI. ... and some of the most painful,
Post Sat Apr 26, 2014 5:50 am 
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

Top Ten Most Anticipated 2014 Hard Rock & Metal Albums: King 810

Mon, 06 Jan 2014 17:45:06

Top Ten Most Anticipated 2014 Hard Rock & Metal Albums: King 810 - By ARTISTdirect.com editor in chief Rick Florino...

There's a lot of deep, dark secrets in Flint, MI. It's been called the murder capital of America, and it's not a place you want to visit. However, King 810 call it home. Their music reflects the filth, disgust, and violence at the heart of Middle America. It's the other side of the tracks that a blind eye is turned too far too often. Merging impressive riffing, hip-hop cadence and grooves, and some of the most painful, poetic, and powerful lyrics in heavy music, King 810 will live up to their name when they drop their full-length debut. Mark our words. If you heard their debut EP Midwest Monsters, it was downright very heart-wrenching in the best way possible. It's like Taxi Driver and Gummo set to music. We can't wait.

Read more at http://www.artistdirect.com/entertainment-news/article/top-ten-most-anticipated-2014-hard-rock-metal-albums-king-810/10857187#iZ8Q89wcFs5kGQ0I.99
Post Sat Apr 26, 2014 5:51 am 
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

On tour

Friday, 16 May 2014
Columbus, OH, US

Crew Stadium

With Guns N' Roses + 56 others

Friday, 13 June 2014
Castle Donington, UK

Donington Park

With Linkin Park + 28 others

Saturday, 5 July 2014
San Bernardino, CA, US

San Manuel Amphitheater

With Korn + 16 others
Post Wed Apr 30, 2014 3:55 pm 
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

News about King 810 Band Flint

bing.com/news

King 810 Sign With Roadrunner

Gun Shy Assassin · 6 days ago

Roadrunner Records has signed a band from Flint called King 810, and you can hear what they sound like at the end of this post. In short, if something slightly…

King 810 Premiere New EP, Proem

revolvermag.com · 5 days ago

Flint, Michigan's KING 810 Signs With ROADRUNNER RECORDS

Blabber Mouth · 6 days ago
Post Sun May 18, 2014 5:03 pm 
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

King 810 Sign With Roadrunner

May 12, 2014 By Chris Harris 0 Comments

So, I guess Flint, Michigan, is basically like Bartertown, only without all the order.

It’s a rough place to have to grow up, it seems, and there’s nothing funny about that.

Roadrunner Records has signed a band from Flint called King 810, and you can hear what they sound like at the end of this post.

In short, if something slightly resembling metal had rap-like lyrics, it would be King 810.

The band’s EP proem will be available online starting tomorrow, and a full-length is due out this summer.

From the Roadrunner press release: “With no mayor to preside over the bereft community and a minuscule police force, Flint, MI teaches its young to fend for themselves. proem is an embodiment of King 810′s life within this pressure cooker, a glimpse into the personal account of this disappearing metropolis where tree branches live longer than the children do.”

Hmm.

Something tells me this band’s going to very popular with the douche rock set.

Mark my words, folks. These dudes are going to be big and I’m not going to like it.

If you enjoyed this post, please consider leaving a comment or subscribing to the RSS feed to have future articles delivered to your feed reader.

Filed Under: Album Streams, New Records, News Tagged With: ep, flint, King 810, michigan, new album, new music, new record, proem, rap, roadrunner records, stream

About Chris Harris

Chris Harris is an internationally-published music journalist and writer whose work has appeared on the pages of Rolling Stone, IFC, Revolver, Alternative Press, and Radar. The former news editor for Noisecreep, Harris also served as co-host for the site’s weekly podcast, “Creep Show." Before that, he spent four years writing for MTV News.
Post Sun May 18, 2014 5:05 pm 
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

FLINT’S KING 810 RELEASE proem EP | Roadrunner Records

www.roadrunnerrecords.com/news/flint-s-king-810-release-proem-ep

FLINT’S KING 810 RELEASE proem EP. ... The band is set to debut new material ... KING 810 will then traverse the US on the Rockstar Mayhem Festival and release ...
Post Sun May 18, 2014 5:07 pm 
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

KING 810 is on Facebook

KING 810 shared a link.
1 hr ·

Violent Pits, Knife Fights, and Being Shot: An Interview with the Notoriously Violent King 810 |...
Beatdowns & breakdowns, AKs & underemployment
NOISEY
NEW MUSIC
VIOLENT PITS, KNIFE FIGHTS, AND BEING SHOT: AN INTERVIEW WITH THE NOTORIOUSLY VIOLENT KING 810
By Joseph Schafer

submit 89

Flint, Michigan’s KING 810 put on the most violent live show I have ever seen.

I first saw the group at Dirtfest 2009, a local music expo in Flint which presented the Summer Slaughter Tour as its main stage that year. KING 810 played a concurrent set with Ensiferum and within sixty seconds, they'd drawn the entire main stage crowd away. Their fans danced, pitted, and broke down fences. Singer David Gunn climbed the small tent over his band's stage and broke it. Police entered the pit to quell dissidents, and were ganged on by KING 810's fans, many of whom lit fireworks and aimed them into the crowd. Eventually power to the guitar amp and vocals were cut. Gunn kept audibly barking his lyrics. Through the smoke and police, the fans kept moshing and singing—they knew every lyric.

KING 810 was unsigned then, but their fan base’s loyalty was powerful—many of their fans shared the 810 shin tattoos that Gunn and his bandmates proudly display. 810 is the area code for Flint, Michigan, a city known the world over for its prolific street violence and staggering unemployment. That violence rears its head in Gunn's music, as well in the outbursts of his fans, who have shut down concerts and, more recently, carved the group's logo into their skin.

KING 810 released the independent Midwest Monsters EP in 2012, which made its way into the hands of Roadrunner Records. The band signed to the label and recently released their second EP Proem, effectively elevating the band from local troublemakers to nationally-exposed artists virtually overnight. King 810 played Columbus's annual Rock on the Range festival this year and are prepping for the UK's Download Festival and the annual Mayhem summer tour. The violence is spreading.

Gunn sat down with NOISEY to talk about the band's (and his) troubled past.

NOISEY: Your EP was released in 2012, what's happened with the band internally since then?
David Gunn: I got shot and we took a year where we didn't care about our online presence. We went back to the drawing board. It was our turning point for the music after that happened. My head was in a different place. We didn't feel like we could play the same stuff anymore—we had to make it a more true representation of what we were doing at home. Have you ever read Malcolm Gladwell? He talks about near-miss psychology. After you get shot, you feel a bit like... he uses the the bombings of Dresden, those people who were bombed every day. You feel... confident I guess would be an understatement.

Will you tell me the story of how you got shot?
It was a robbery. I was walking home and a truck pulled up next to me. They had a shotgun. Basically one dude stepped out with a knife and I wound up getting into it with him. So I had a little knife fight with this kid and during that the other guy decided to take a couple shots at me. I just wouldn’t give them anything. It was one of those situations like 'give me your bag' or 'give me whatever you have,' and I just wasn't going to. I didn't care about guns and knives or living, so I just wouldn't, and I got shot a couple times.

Well I'm glad you're alive.
Me too, some days.

I've seen the “Killem All” video, and it seems that gun violence has become a prominent theme in your music. What is your relationship with firearms?
That song has elements of social commentary to it. It has a lot of artistic textures in it. It's a heavy song, but it's just trying to be a true representation of where we came. It's a true to the events documentation of violence. It has parallels to what we experienced growing up here in Flint. It's dangerous here. It's a part of you that's always there. There's people who are tired of hearing about it but we don't go a whole day without seeing a gun, or knife fights. To get you to understand what I'm talking about I can't leave that out. A lot of people will look at that video and think it's just a bunch of clips, but we didn't create that footage, it's all real stuff that really happens—I don’t understand how anyone would be offended by it. It's not a glorification of violence at all, but we can't tell our story without it.

If you look at comments on articles about your band, or on the Youtube video itself, people accuse you of being in a gang. Do you have any answer to those accusations?
I don't care what anybody on a computer has to say. I don't know anybody in a gang who is commenting on youtube videos. I guess when you put yourself out there it's easy to be judged. I don't get what that means, I guess. But I guess, by definition without the social stigma... gang, yes, we're a gang of people. It's a large group of people that feels the same way about the same thing. Gang has a negative connotation, and if that's what they're getting at, then it's obviously not there. Gangs don't create art at this level.

Gene, your bassist, is black. There's been a lot of talk in the metal scene lately about racism, but has your band dealt with any issues regarding race?
Yeah we've run into the same group, I imagine, that are online leaving comments, that school of people. Gene is my brother, I've known him since we were little kids. We live in a black state, to be frank, you can't get a handful of people together without a couple of them being black. That never comes to my mind. Six out of ten people in Flint are black. To me, anyone who grew up like we grew up... race is an afterthought. To me, I feel like heavy metal, or rock is a new genre, it's not as old as the blues or classical. People looked for it because it was more extreme, and they became kind of like a family, where they felt that this was their thing, and they were the minority. It's the same people under this umbrella that felt like the bastard fans of music because it wasn't heavy enough. They weren't getting that from other genres of music. These people are the same narrow-minded people that bring race and politics—politics as far as social politics—into the equation. Just like the gang thing, to come around full circle. We're creating art. Color? I don't understand what that means to people, I especially don't get where one of the newest genres of music, the one that's supposed to be the place you go where all the other musical genres aren't hitting the spot, has grown to bring up details like race. The metal community is just like any other group, and they do care about these mindless details instead of understanding that we're creating things that aren't usually created, especially nowadays. I thought, if anywhere, this genre would be a more accepting group, but I've had to learn that politics like race and other things are not a lost issue amongst them.

Your band has a notoriously rough fan base in the mosh pit. When did that start?
Yeah. They're kind of crazy. This is a representation of where we're from. We talk about violence being ever-present, for better or worse, so when we play live there's something there. When you see us live there's differences, and we identify with people that are different. I feel like the music is [performed] such a way that it plays into these types of people, or something in these people that it causes a reaction.

When I saw KING 810 in Toledo, you said somebody put a security guard in a coma. Have they ever gone too far?
I don't think that people went too far. Of course putting people in comas is not something that we advocate. But I do know that the people that follow us are a close group of people. I've seen this happen where somebody—and i'm not saying this is what happened with that security guard—but someone messes with someone who has seventy five or one hundred people behind them at the show. They're going to stick up for one another. Putting someone in a coma, is that crossing the line? I don't draw the line.

Is there any particular show that you've played which stood out to you?
They all kind of feel the same to me. Whether it's crowd surfing, or fighting to get to the stage or putting people in comas,I know what that is. People do that every day. That's not exceptional. People don't do what i'm talking about every day—people don't go to work every day and move people as an occupation. That is all the shows that people come out to. That to me is my favorite part of the show. The crazy things that happen? Those are just the humorous details that are afterthoughts almost.

You're about to be exposed to your biggest audiences ever at Download and Mayhem Fest—will that behavior continue, or will it be diluted down?
I just hope that the way people feel, the unity and camaraderie and family values of it continue to grow and get bigger. I hope everyone in the crowd feels the same way. I hope everyone can find something in what we're doing. I don't know how it's going to go.

King 810You don't have a day job; how do you, and the rest of the band live?
Sometimes we live together, sometimes we don't. There aren't jobs here. You can look at the unemployment, and the poverty percentage. We're not an anomaly in this time. That's the norm. That's not an issue, we just do what we can to get by like everyone else here.

Well then, how did you buy your first instruments?
I think we were so young that we stole them. We wanted them, and we didn't know how things work. So as a small kid, if you wanted something, you just ran in the store and took it and ran out. That's how I got my first instrument. We grew up with poor families. There was no way in hell I was going to ask my parents for a guitar. It doesn't matter how much it cost—one hundred? Two hundred? Doesn't matter. Too much. That's how it's always been. This was always the plan; there was no college degree, or plan B. We crossed that bridge and burned it behind us. If this is what you're going to do with your life, and this is what you're going to be, why would you have a problem running into a store for five minutes and stealing something? Where we're at the odds aren't against you—they're just not there. Nobody leaves Flint.

Are you driven by money? Is that a thing you care about?
If money mattered, I would have been dead a long time ago. In the same way I don't believe in going to work and trading your time for money, because it's not worth it, I don't believe you can put a price tag on the things we create. Putting a price tag on moving people is wrong. When you trade your time for money you don't get one of those things back, ever. It's unfair in any capacity. So money is a non-issue. We never had it growing up. And I had to learn how to get it, to provide and sustain, but money is just a result. It's not a focus of any kind. We would be doing this regardless of what it paid.

Written by: Joseph Schafer
May 19 2014
Tags: michigan, metal, King 810, Metalcore
Post Mon May 19, 2014 4:51 pm 
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

Flint rock band shoots first professional music video in Downtown Flint

Posted: Jun 07, 2014 7:12 PM EDT

Updated: Jun 07, 2014 7:12 PM EDT

By ABC12 News Team - email

FLINT (WJRT) - (06/07/2014) - Downtown Flint turned into a Music Scene Saturday afternoon as a local band took center stage on Saginaw Street to shoot their first professional music video.

The shoot shut down Saginaw Street from nine this morning until one this afternoon.

King810, a rock band from Flint, recently signed with Road Runner Records, a label under Warner Music Group. Saturday they paired up with Director John Quigly who is originally from Michigan as well. Quigly has worked with Eminem, 50 Cent, and Kid Rock in the past.

"When I first got involved with this project I did my own research and the research was negative. I got the chance to meet with the band and the band is nothing like what's online," Quigly said. "I think because there's that negativity there's almost a way to show that these guys aren't really what you think they are and to put a positive spin on this band."

The video featured not only the band, but extras from the Flint area. They say they think the music video will be a positive thing not only for the band, but for the city.

"King is all about love and building a positive image for their friends and the community and Flint itself," Christopher Hern told ABC12.
Post Sun Jun 08, 2014 4:11 pm 
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

Two men arraigned in 2013 critical beating outside downtown Flint bar

Amanda Emery | aemery@mlive.com By Amanda Emery | aemery@mlive.com
Follow on Twitter
on June 13, 2014 at 5:38 PM, updated June 14, 2014 at 2:30 AM

(L) David Gunn, (R) Eugene Gill.

Courtesy Photo | Flint Police Department Facebook

FLINT, MI -- Two Flint men have been charged and arraigned in the 2013 critical beating of a man outside of a Flint bar.

According to 68th District Court records, 28-year-old David Gunn and 28-year-old Eugene Gill were arraigned Friday, June 13 on assault with intent to do great bodily harm less than murder charges.

According to a post on the City of Flint Police Department Facebook page, Gill and Gunn allegedly attacked a man leaving him in critical condition outside The Loft in downtown Flint. Police said an investigation led to warrants being issued for the two men.

Police said Gunn and Gill were arrested Thursday, June 12, at Detroit Metro Airport by the Michigan State Police Fugitive Team.

The pre-trial for both men is scheduled for June, 17.

Amanda Emery is a police reporter for MLive-Flint Journal. Contact her at aemery@mlive.com or 810-285-0792. Follow her on Twitter or Facebook.
Post Sat Jun 14, 2014 5:06 am 
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

Assault charges against Flint's King 810 front man dismissed, bassist heading to circuit court

Amanda Emery | aemery@mlive.com By Amanda Emery | aemery@mlive.com
Follow on Twitter
on July 02, 2014 at 8:45 PM, updated July 02, 2014 at 8:46 PM

FLINT, MI -- The charges against Flint band King 810 front man David Gunn have been dismissed, while the case against bassist Eugene Gill has been bound over to circuit court.

Gunn and Gill, both 28 years old, were arrested Thursday, June 12, at Detroit Metro Airport by the Michigan State Police Fugitive Team just before boarding a plane on their way to the Download Festival in the United Kingdom.

The musicians were arrested and charged for allegedly attacking a man and leaving him in critical condition outside The Loft in downtown Flint in October 2013. The charges against Gunn were dismissed on Monday, June 30, according to 68th District Court records.

The case against Gill was bound over to Genesee County 7th Circuit Court on Monday, according to circuit court records. Gill is charged with assault with intent to do great bodily harm less than murder.

According to an announcement on the King 810 Facebook page, Gill's bond will allow him to travel with the band as scheduled. King 810 is scheduled to perform as part of the upcoming Rockstar Energy Drink Mayhem Festival, according to the festival's website.

King 810 signed with Roadrunner Records earlier this year.

Amanda Emery is a police reporter for MLive-Flint Journal. Contact her at aemery@mlive.com or 810-285-0792. Follow her on Twitter or Facebook.
Post Wed Jul 02, 2014 8:42 pm 

Jump to:  
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Last Topic | Next Topic  >

Forum Rules: