FAQFAQ   SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlistRegisterRegister  ProfileProfile   Log in[ Log in ]  Flint Talk RSSFlint Talk RSS

»Home »Open Chat »Political Talk  Â»Flint Journal »Political Jokes »The Bob Leonard Show  

Flint Michigan online news magazine. We have lively web forums

FlintTalk.com Forum Index > Political Talk

Topic: Where will extra officers come from?

Author    Post Post new topic Reply to topic
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

Flint police may change the way officers patrol the city

Police Chief James Tolbert speaks about crime spree in Flint and Flint Township
Flint Police Chief James Tolbert speaks during a press conference Thursday, where Police released information on a crime spree between Flint and Flint Township on
Wednesday, Oct. 16 and Thursday, Oct. 17 at the Flint Police Department. Jake May | MLive.com (MLive.com File)

Dominic Adams | dadams5@mlive.com By Dominic Adams | dadams5@mlive.com

on April 15, 2014 at 8:30 PM, updated April 15, 2014 at 9:06 PM

FLINT, MI – The way police patrol the city could change in June as part of a proposed restructuring within the Flint Police Department.

The biggest change would be to nearly double the number of officers inside the criminal investigations bureau – those who investigate crimes such as homicide, criminal sexual misconduct, robberies and arson – from 14 to 27.

An increase in officers in that bureau would be needed to accommodate a midnight shift staffed with a sergeant who would oversee seven detectives investigating arson, robbery, non-critical shootings and assaults.

“We want different results,” said Chief James Tolbert. “One thing is for sure – we can’t keep doing the same thing we’ve been doing and expect different results. You can’t sit there and wait, you have to be proactive.”

Tolbert and other police department leadership outlined the potential changes during a Flint City Council public safety committee meeting on Tuesday, April 15.

There also would be a change in the way patrol officers are deployed throughout the city. There would be four officers and one lieutenant per district across four parts of the city under the new proposal.

The four districts include a far north district, a district north of the Flint River, a third district that covers the southern and western parts of the city and an east and northeast district.

“We were there every day and we knew who the troublemakers were and we knew where the trouble spots were,” said Capt. T.P. Johnson, head of the patrol division, while discussing the positives of the potential changes.

Currently, officers on each shift are dispatched throughout the city based on calls for service and their current location and are not required to remain in any particular area.

Tolbert said he asked his department heads to shoot for the moon in their requests. Mayor Dayne Walling and the city council must sign off on the budget request, which will ultimately be approved by Emergency Manager Darnell Earley.

The potential changes could be put into action during the first part of June, Tolbert said.

While a majority of the three-hour meeting was to discuss changes in the police department, Fire Chief David Cox Jr. also discussed potential changes within the fire department following the denial of a $7.9 million federal staffing grant.

The grant pays for 39 firefighters and will expire at the end of June, Cox said.

He said the city will use the public safety millage to fund 20 of those firefighters, but may have to lay off 19 firefighters when the grant runs out.

“The city of Flint will have fire protection,” Cox said. “It will have adequate fire protection.”

Cox said the department will apply for another round of grant funding in September.

Dominic Adams is a reporter for The Flint Journal. Contact him at dadams5@mlive.com or 810-241-8803. Follow him on Twitter, Facebook or Google+.
Post Wed Apr 16, 2014 7:40 am 
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

Quote:

The four districts include a far north district, a district north of the Flint River, a third district that covers the southern and western parts of the city and an east and northeast district.

“We were there every day and we knew who the troublemakers were and we knew where the trouble spots were,” said Capt. T.P. Johnson, head of the patrol division, while discussing the positives of the potential changes.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Readers are also asking where the additional officers for detective are coming from.
Also significant crimes are being committed in the south and the west sides of flint. Is one district combining them enough?
Post Wed Apr 16, 2014 7:44 am 
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

Things have gone from bad to worse under Tolbert. He started out with a bang, but now he seems to be undermining the office. On has to wonder if he is taking his marching orders from the state.

My friends all told e I was wrong when I said the patrol officers would be making lateral moved to detectives. There will be no clothing allowances or pay hikes. Now they tell me the whole detective bureau has been disbanded.

This is a contract violation. Also, Williamson signed an agreement after his lawsuits against the Citizens Service Bureau that no promotions would take place without testing. So, are the police administrators once again putting untrained special units on the streets?
Post Mon Apr 21, 2014 2:36 pm 
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

All members of any special unit must work patrol at least once a week. Don't call in sick, although a stomach bug is striking now, because you will get yanked from your special unit.

Will this de-fang Flint officers on units like FANG. How can any Flint officer work undercover when they are on the streets weekly?

I take back my compliments to Tolbert. I understand the Mangoonian mansion is once again the topic of conversation in Flint.

The Police requests for information printed in the Flint Journal now have State Troopers names listed instead of Flint Police.
Post Mon Apr 21, 2014 2:42 pm 
J HUNTINGWORTH TUNE
F L I N T O I D

Adequate fire protection ? Do we have " adequate " fire protection now ? Sounds like a Cox & Bull story to me.
Post Tue Apr 22, 2014 6:41 am 

Jump to:  

Last Topic | Next Topic  >

Forum Rules: