FAQFAQ   SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlistRegisterRegister  ProfileProfile   Log in[ Log in ]  Flint Talk RSSFlint Talk RSS

»Home »Open Chat »Political Talk  Â»Flint Journal »Political Jokes »The Bob Leonard Show  

Flint Michigan online news magazine. We have lively web forums

FlintTalk.com Forum Index > Political Talk

Topic: Chaos reigns again at council meeting
Goto page Previous  1, 2
  Author    Post Post new topic Reply to topic
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

Bishop Bernadel Jefferson of Flint expresses her disapproval for the councilman's conduct during a City Council meeting on Monday, April 7, 2014 at the City Hall building in downtown Flint. Katie McLean | MLive.com (photo)

Poor caption. What conduct is the Bishop disapproving? Why didn't the Bishop disapprove the conduct of some in the audience. I would have liked to see more of her comments as she is a strong leader.
Post Wed Apr 09, 2014 6:19 am 
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

http://imgick.mlive.com/home/mlive-media/pgmain/img/flint-journal/photo/2014/04/-8ef867c5d108b706.JPG

Journal calls this a photo of police being vigilant. I see it as police not doing their job and possibly hoping the councilman will deck obnoxious Harris so they arrest him. Why didn't they take Harris outside the building?
Post Wed Apr 09, 2014 6:26 am 
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

Terry Bankert was very vocal about the Blue Ribbon Committee when it was first formed

terrybankert
F L I N T O I D

Governor Snyder has his committee. The Flint Community must now rise to the occasion by monitoring the " blue ribbon committee." What a silly class based name. What a throwback to the 50's. We are now in the age of "now" with immediate communication , transparency , accountability and action. The best minds of the world and the majority of Flint's electorate are available on the internet through social media. I know many of the people on this list. They are accomplished , motivated, and excellent facilitators of discussion. I suspect those I do not know are of similar quality. My view is that their discussion and recommendations are not to the Governor but to the Flint Community. We of the Flint Community should listen closely to these fine people. Enjoy the flavor of their thought, the taste of their recommendations. Then we the Flint Community must act. Have the courage to throw aside the organization of our precious Flint that has not worked the and failed leadership that allowed it to happen. This is our city, To my fellow citizens of Flint; Show Up, Stand Up, Speak Up then Act..... I posted this to the mlive article I suggest you do the same. Let us know here on Flint Talk what you have done. We do not have to agree.
Post Wed Apr 09, 2014 7:39 am 
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

Flint's Blue Ribbon Committee on Governance to start work next ...

Jan 9, 2014 ... FLINT, MI – Flint attorney Carl Bekofske thinks it was the remarks he made during the city council swearing-in ceremony in November that put ...

www.mlive.com/news/flint/index.ssf/2014/01/flints_blue_ribbon

Letter: Flint's Blue Ribbon committee should deliberate in public ...

Jan 30, 2014 ... What is so sensitive that the committee must meet in secret?

www.mlive.com/opinion/flint/index.ssf/2014/01/guest_view_of_jerry_preston.html

A list of who is on the Flint Blue Ribbon Committee on Governance ...

Jan 9, 2014 ... FLINT, MI – Flint Emergency Manager Darnell Earley released the names of a 23 -member committee he's tasked with evaluating the way the ...

www.mlive.com/news/flint/index.ssf/2014/01/flints_blue_ribbon

Editorial: Flint should open 'Blue Ribbon Commission' meetings to ...

Jan 26, 2014 ... A series of recommendations that are created in the dark is not the right approach to solving Flint's problems. Open these meetings, and let ...

www.mlive.com/opinion/flint/index.ssf/2014/01/editorial_open_flints_blue_rib.htm...
Post Wed Apr 09, 2014 7:41 am 
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

Dominic Adams | dadams5@mlive.com By Dominic Adams | dadams5@mlive.com
Follow on Twitter
on January 09, 2014 at 1:29 PM, updated January 09, 2014 at 1:45 PM

FLINT, MI – Flint Emergency Manager Darnell Earley released the names of a 23-member committee he’s tasked with evaluating the way the city is run.

The "blue ribbon committee on governance" will be chaired by Flint Planning Commission Chairman Bob Wesley.

The members are:

•Betsy Aderholdt
•Attorney Carl Bekofske
•Genesee County Commissioner Brenda Clack
•Genesee County Road Commission Manager/Director John Daly
•Rev. Henry Fuller

•Frankenmuth City Manager Charles Graham
•Rhina Griffell
•Flint & Genesee Chamber of Commerce CEO Tim Herman
•Robert Jackson
•Flint Planning Commission Member Elizabeth Jordan
•Sally Kagerer
•Diana Kelly
•Former Emergency Manager Ed Kurtz
•Robert McMahan Jr.
•Dr. Bobby Mukkamala
•Councilman Bryant Nolden
•Flint School Board Treasurer Vera Perry
•Albert Price
•James Richardson
•Ira Rutherford
•David Solis
•Mayor Dayne Walling
Post Wed Apr 09, 2014 7:43 am 
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

Letter: Flint's Blue Ribbon committee should deliberate in public

MLive/Flint Journal opinion By MLive/Flint Journal opinion
on January 30, 2014 at 7:50 AM, updated February 04, 2014 at 6:10 PM

o

This is in regards to The Flint Journal headline, "Flint Emergency Manager opts to keep blue ribbon meetings closed to the public."

While this may not be a violation of the Open Meetings Act, it certainly is a violation of the intent of the act - accountability, openness and transparency in government.

The Blue Ribbon Committee, by definition, is a public body. The Act, however, does not apply to committees that are strictly advisory.

However, the Open Meetings Act does not prohibit a public body from adopting a greater degree of openness and the Flint City Charter Section 6-104 requires all meetings of multiple member bodies of the city be public.

The public has become very skeptical about government. They have become even more so in communities that are operating under the dictates of a financial manager. It is unfortunate that Mr. Earley promulgated that skepticism by opting to keep the Blue Ribbon meetings secret.

Mr. Earley has selected a group of citizens that have a great deal of expertise. Apparently, they will be making recommendations that will eventually alter the governance of the city so that a financial manager will never be required again. What is so sensitive that the committee must meet in secret?

It is the information vetted during the deliberations of the committee, the discussion of the pros and cons of various points of view as well as opinions about the viability of a particular recommendation - this information is what is of utmost importance to the public. It is unfortunate that the public and the public body that will eventually make the final decision will be deprived of this knowledge.

The public has every right to be skeptical.
Post Wed Apr 09, 2014 7:46 am 
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

Politics & Government
11:52 am

Fri January 17, 2014
Flint's special blue ribbon committee will continue to meet 'behind closed doors'

Steve Carmody/Michigan Radio

Flint’s emergency manager says a special blue ribbon committee looking at ways to better run the city should continue to meet behind closed doors.

Emergency Manager Darnell Earley appointed the 23 member committee this month. The panel will be meeting for the next several months to study how best to run the city. And those meetings are taking place behind closed doors.

Earley says he wants the committee to ‘think outside the box’ and ‘push the envelope’. And he says that shouldn’t happen in a public setting, where people may “misconstrue” where the committee may be going on a particular issue.

“And until you’ve vetted all of that, you have to have those frank discussions,” says Earley.

Earley says there will be “ample opportunity” for the community to comment on the process. The Blue Ribbon committee’s report is due in June.

City leaders hope to convince the state to appoint a transition advisory board later this year to begin the process that will return the city to local control.
Post Wed Apr 09, 2014 7:49 am 
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

The Flint Journal editorial got this one right. Governor Snyder and the Legislature made sure the elected council had no recourse except to adhere to Earley's edicts, as evidenced by the threats of Peter bade to remove dissenting council from their elected positions.

Citizens can rally and scream all they want, but Earley was going to put this 7 piece plan in place, no matter what. There are more effective ways to protest. Vote Snyder out and the politicians that designed this draconian law that disenfranchises the urban areas of the state. Support the court case fighting this new E M law.

Other communities do not allow this blatant disregard for decorum and Flint continues to demonstrate to the rest of the county that Flint is lawless. The story has already reached the Washington Post and other publications. People like Harris and others give this community a "black eye" and make others wonder if we are deserving of assistance.
Post Wed Apr 09, 2014 7:59 am 
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

Posted Apr. 6, 2014 @ 1:05 am

Last Tuesday, Rochester Junior High School eighth-grade teachers and students, along with many wonderful parent chaperons, took the annual field trip to the Old State Capitol, the current state Capitol and the Abraham Lincoln Presidential Library and Museum.

The eighth-grade team of teachers would like to thank all of the parents who took time to chaperon these fine young people. We had many positive comments on the behavior of the students and how well-mannered our kids presented themselves throughout the day.

The next day, I always take time to discuss in class what we saw. I heard the same theme from many students: They were incredulous at the behavior of those in the Illinois House and Senate. While the students are expected to listen and give full attention, many wondered why so many members of the legislature would talk on their phones, play computer games or simply ignore the person speaking to the chamber. Many commented that while their teachers and parents expect their full attention, why couldn’t members of our government give the same?

It is funny how perceptive kids are these days. It is a shame that our elected officials can’t present themselves in a more mature and favorable light at all times, but especially when guests are present, with so many crucial issues facing our state in this dire time.

Jeff Hill

Rochester

The writer is an eighth-grade social studies teacher

Dan Long

Considering that most of the legislators have made up their mind on the vote prior to walking into the chamber, is their behavior wrong? (It's a rhetorical question.) They are not their to learn. They are there to vote. And the teacher should point out to the students the real lesson, that lobbyist given an ear really have the legislators listening and the decisions are being made behind closed doors; that our system of government is corrupt and we need the people to vote in better Senators and Representatives. The teacher is right that the students are on the nail with their observations, but what did they learn from those observations? That the state legislature doesn't know how to behave? Some of us have known that for decades! Perhaps we should teach revolution, excising lobbyist, and not electing incumbents. That's what I've learned.

Carol Forestier

Well, it does prove your students are observant! They were right to call out the adults on behavior. As adults, we should not only lead by example, but we should be ashamed to show kids that this is the behavior of elected, paid by taxpayers, men and women. While I agree it was shameful, it was showing their true colors. They shouldn't behave ONLY when visitors are present, they should behave appropriately all the time! Mr. Hill is a phenomenal teacher and very passionate about his... » more
6 days ago

Thomas Knoedler
You think that the Illinois House and Senate are somewhat childish?

Go and pay a visit to Congress

Read more: http://www.sj-r.com/article/20140406/Opinion/140409626#ixzz2ylX5bc54
etter-Legislators behavior was inappropriate
Post Sun Apr 13, 2014 7:02 am 
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

I Corinthians 14:33 My friend referred me to this quotation.

"For God is not a God of disorder but of peace-as in all the congregations of the Lord's people".
Post Fri Apr 18, 2014 5:13 pm 

Jump to:  
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Last Topic | Next Topic  >

Forum Rules: