FAQFAQ   SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlistRegisterRegister  ProfileProfile   Log in[ Log in ]  Flint Talk RSSFlint Talk RSS

»Home »Open Chat »Political Talk  Â»Flint Journal »Political Jokes »The Bob Leonard Show  

Flint Michigan online news magazine. We have lively web forums

FlintTalk.com Forum Index > Political Talk

Topic: Genesee County Corruption - Judge Beagle and Sheriff Pickell
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
  Author    Post Post new topic Reply to topic
jh88718
F L I N T O I D

We've all heard of the overcrowding in Genesee County Jail. Prosecutors force shorter sentences and early discharge; however, Judge Beagle and Sheriff Pickell have ulterior motives. Just this week, Judge Beagle sentenced a 60 year old disabled women to a mandatory 90 days in jail for contempt of court on a civil case. Sheriff Pickell is enforcing the 90 day mandate and they refuse to provide proper medical treatment for her disability. Judge Beagle will only authorize a release if the elderly woman pays the court $130,000. To make the story worse, Judge Beagle made many mistakes in his ruling which was addressed by the Michigan Court of Appeals; however, Judge Beagle is too proud (or has been paid off by the opposing party) to admit his mistakes so he refuses to hear the case or make a ruling on it. The error made in the case more than offsets the alleged debt that this elderly woman owes; however, Judge Beagle has proven that he is above the law and sentenced this innocent woman to 90 days in jail. It is amazing that we release the criminals who are broke so we can make room for the innocent and helpless hoping we can take advantage of them and rob them of their money. To take it one step further, Judge Beagle froze all of this woman's pension to make sure she has no money to pay lawyers or to defend herself. Shame on Genesee County for their unethical behavior. This is Genesee County Corruption at its best. It all starts with the Judges.
Post Fri Apr 04, 2014 8:57 pm 
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

All too often we continue to re-elect judges because of their name, their role in the community instead of their qualifications. I have seen other issues in Beagle's court and I too consider him at times biased and unfair. An acquaintance once filed a Judicial Tenure complaint against him.

I sincerely hope the issue with the disabled woman is resolved and that she receives the proper medical treatment. I find it hard to believe there is not some state policy regarding medical treatment that could be used to appeal the care she is afforded.
Post Sat Apr 05, 2014 4:54 am 
jh88718
F L I N T O I D

I believe this woman filed a complaint with the Judicial Tenure Commission as well. Could be the very reason that Judge Beagle locked her up and froze her assets. Another underlying detail is that Judge Beagle dated an individual named Nora Fisher and it is believed they still have a friendly relationship. Nora Fisher is a colleague and close friend of the defendant from the original divorce case which could be driving the biased decisions that Judge Beagle is making towards the plaintiff (i.e., disabled woman who is locked up in Genesee County). The Beagles come from a long legacy of positive contributions to Flint. It's really a shame that Duncan Beagle is not living up to the name that his grandfather and father created. In fact, he is starting to ruin their name. Unfortunately, it's always about the money and it is evident that Judge Beagle has sold his honor or just does not care anymore.

If anyone is interested in the details, the case is Hodge vs Parks. There will be a publication in the Michigan Court of Appeals regarding this case as well. The case has been going on for 5+ years and no children were involved. This is unheard of and I don't even want to know how much money this has cost the tax payers. Now the tax payers are footing the bill to house this person in jail.
Post Sat Apr 05, 2014 8:58 am 
jh88718
F L I N T O I D

http://milawyersweekly.com/news/2014/01/03/family-law-postnuptial-agreement-made-sailboat-joint-marital-property/

See the link above. An article was posted in Michigan Lawyers Weekly regarding this case. Judge Beagle still refuses to admit that we all make mistakes. It's only human, admit, correct and move on. No reason to defend. Some people are just too proud.
Post Sat Apr 05, 2014 10:34 am 
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

SHEILA HODGE V. DARRELL PARKS (Authored Opinion) :: 2014 ...

Jan 2, 2014 ... STATE OF MICHIGAN COURT OF APPEALS SHEILA HODGE, Plaintiff-Appellant /Cross-Appellee, v FOR PUBLICATION January 2, 2014 9:10 ...

law.justia.com/cases/michigan/court-of-appeals-published/2014/308726.html
Post Sun Apr 06, 2014 6:06 pm 
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

COA enforces post-nuptial agreement because it was intended to save marriage

01/03/2014 Family law Mazzocco, Nicole

In a post-nuptial agreement, the parties agreed that a sailboat would be considered martial property. In Hodge v. Parks, the Court of Appeals enforced that agreement in dividing the couple’s assets, because the agreement was intended to preserve the parties’ marriage. The Court also considered several other property-division matters.

During the parties’ marriage Parks (the husband) owned and ran a business for which Hodge (the wife) served as an officer. After several years of marriage, in 2004 Parks and Hodge entered into a postnuptial agreement in an attempt to reconcile their marriage after Hodge filed for divorce. Subsequently in 2011, Hodge again filed for divorce. Both parties disagreed with the trial court’s division of property. Hodge argued that part of Parks’ premarital investment account should be considered a marital asset, that their sailboat was marital property, and that the division of property was generally inequitable. Parks argued that Hodge’s transfer of money to her children during the marriage was not a gift, and thus should be part of the marital assets.

The Court of Appeals rejected Hodge’s argument that she was entitled to the investment account or that the division of property was inequitable, but agreed that the sailboat was marital property. First, the Court considered the investment account. It began by noting that Hodge had waived her right to the account by conceding at trial that Parks was entitled to the account. However, in any case, the Court stated that the fact that Parks would borrow from the account to fund his business operations from time to time did not cause a comingling of assets, such that the account was converted separate to marital property. Similarly, Hodge’s employment with the business did not turn the investment account into a marital asset.

Second, the Court reasoned that Hodge was entitled to the sailboat as the parties had agreed in their post-nuptial agreement that it was “ours equally” and “our boat.” Moreover, the language of the postnuptial agreement and the fact that Hodge dismissed her prior divorce action indicated they entered into the agreement in order to preserve their marriage. Since postnuptial agreements that promote marriage relationships are valid, the agreement controlled the disposition of the sailboat.

Third, the Court indicated that there was nothing inequitable about the trial court’s division of the property. Although Hodge suffered from MS, she had a pension, social security income, a significant 401(k) and IRA, and the majority of her debt was a home mortgage. Parks only had income from social security, significant credit card debt, and his business was failing. Accordingly, the Court determined the division of property was fair.

Lastly, the Court determined that Hodge’s transfer of funds to her children was a gift. The Court noted that Hodge had made the gift to her children by taking a loan from her premarital 401(k) in order to make a down payment on a condo for them. Further, her children indicated that they never intended to pay the loan back and trial court found Hodge did not own any interest in the condo. Therefore, as a gift, the trial court was correctly determined the money was not a marital asset to which Parks was entitled.

The One Court of Justice Blog is written and published by the Appellate Practice attorneys at Warner Norcross & Judd. For more information, click here.
Post Sun Apr 06, 2014 6:19 pm 
jh88718
F L I N T O I D

Your write up is spot on but the only issue is that common sense mixed with bias persuaded the final results. For instance, after the initial divorce filing in 2004, Mr. Parks began filtering revenue through his sons' company, Parks Co., located in Ohio. At that same time, Mr. Parks began hiding and transferring all of his assets in anticipation of a divorce. Assets included well over $500,000, the sailboat, an airplane, a 1950 Ford Vehicle (acquired during the marriage), a 1978 Jaguar (Purchased during the marriage), along with three other cars, many snowmobiles and a trailer. Megan Parks, the daughter of Darrell Parks, owns an airplane and has a stock portfolio in the upwards of $1,000,000 and yet she has never had a real job. Hodge was never supported by the court to provide a proper discovery on Mr. Parks because Judge Beagle maintained his bias in the court room. The Park's Children ignored all subpoenas and never appeared in court to testify on the hiding of assets. Judge Beagle failed to uphold the law and ignored the issue. In contrary, Hodge's children were threatened with jail time if they did not abide by the subpoena; therefore, all of the Hodge children were forced to testify under oath. Millions of dollars (cash and assets) were hidden within the Parks family; however, Judge Beagle and the court spent countless hours on the $50,000 gift that Hodge gave her children for the purchase of a Florida condo. Where the common sense comes into the picture is when you look at Mr. Park's credit card history. Mr. Parks averages $100,000 worth of after tax credit card expenses annually and his cards are paid in full. Mr. Parks also travels extensively and spends thousands of dollars on the maintenance for his toys (airplanes, sailboats, snowmobiles, and collector cars); however, he claims business losses year after year. Mr. Parks was audited by the IRS during this case and he's had many encounters with them in the past but he manages to out smart the IRS every time. Unfortunately, Mr. Parks has Judge Beagle in his pocket on this case. Hodge on the other hand was left with a house that is underwater (infested with Black mold and recently lost during a sheriff sale), along with $80,000 in credit card debts. Half her pension was awarded to Mr. Parks and Mr. Parks is currently pursuing the other half. Hodge's 401k was exhausted by legal fees and IRS debt. Currently, the court has froze Hodge's 50% portion of her pension and locked her up in Genesee County for a mandatory 90 days without option for early release. Justice was overlooked during this case. When Hodge's children went to visit her, it was confirmed that Genesee County is refusing treatment for her Gerd and MS. Without proper medical treatment, the acid reflux is eating her Esophagus from the inside and causing extreme pain for the 60 year old woman. Genesee County may have a major lawsuit on their hands when they cause her long term permanent damage; unfortunately, nobody cares until the damage is done. It's almost like legal torture. The Hodge family is seeking legal advice regarding this case. As stated previously, we can only pray for Judge Beagle and the Hodge family, justice has not been served by the corrupt and biased Genesee County court room.

Last edited by jh88718 on Mon Apr 07, 2014 9:03 am; edited 1 time in total
Post Mon Apr 07, 2014 6:48 am 
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

I hope you can get justice for this woman. I have seen Judge Beagle deal with one sided justice in his court and a child was physically abused because of it. Beagle had the medical documents regarding the father's drug abuse and refused to allow the mother's side to be heard. She and her new husband were placed in a financially difficult state because of all of the court hearings, lawyer fees and lost work. U of M hospital painted a grim future for the child because the father kept blocking treatment or Aspergers. Still the Judge sided with the former athlete father.

(since when does the court go into the Judge's chambers to talk sports?)

The child, recognized the mother's predicament and he did not tell her the next time his father bruised him. Instead he went to the school and showed school officials the bruises. The school notified the State Police because the father was a Flint Police Officer.

Beagle also refused to recuse himself because of the father's new wife, who was the Assistant Prosecuting Attorney in Beagles Court, She helped write most of the court documents to save them money.
Post Mon Apr 07, 2014 7:03 am 
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

How do you get medical treatment for some one in county ...

www.avvo.com › Research Legal Advice › Medical Malpractice

How do you get medical treatment for some one in county jail my ... the same medical treatment as any other patient ... substandard treatment. The law ...
Post Tue Apr 08, 2014 6:10 am 
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

Michigan Protection Advocacy Service is a nonprofit that advocates for people with disabilities, including those who are incarcerated.

Michigan Association for Justice in Michigan

ACLU
Post Tue Apr 08, 2014 6:18 am 
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

Michigan Protection & Advocacy Service

mpas.org

Michigan Protection & Advocacy Service, Inc. is proud to represent the rights of children and adults with disabilities in Michigan.

Advocacy | Michigan Protection & Advocacy Service

mpas.org/advocacy

Michigan Protection & Advocacy Service, Inc. 4095 Legacy Pkwy Ste 500 Lansing, MI 48911-4264 P: (517) 487-1755, (800) 288-5923(Voice or TTY) F: (517) 487-0827

Michigan Protection and Advocacy

www.michigan.gov

4095 Legacy Pkwy Ste 500, Lansing · (517) 882-7074

Directions · Details

Client Assistance Program

www.mpas.org

4095 Legacy Pkwy Ste 500, Lansing · (517) 487-1755

Directions · Details

Michigan Protection and Advocacy

Bing Local

129 W Baraga Ave Ste A, Marquette · (906) 228-5910

Directions · Details

See all business listings

Michigan Protection and Advocacy Service - Lansing Office ...

www.michiganlegalaid.org/.../michigan_protection_advocacy_service

We welcome former visitors to Michigan Lawhelp as well as new visitors. Please share your questions, comments and suggestions by clicking the feedback link below.

Michigan Protection and Advocacy Service | Facebook

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Michigan-Protection-and-Advocacy...

Michigan Protection and Advocacy Service, Inc. (MPAS) is the independent, private, non-profit organization designated by the governor of Michigan to advocate and ...

[PDF]
Michigan Protection and Advocacy Service, Inc.

www.michigan.gov/documents/dleg/PAVA_voter_brochure_from_MPAS...

Michigan Protection and Advocacy Service, Inc. 4095 Legacy Parkway • Suite 500 Lansing, Michigan 48911-4263 517.487.1755 • 800.288.5923 (Voice or TTY)

Michigan Protection and Advocacy Service | Michigan Legal …

michiganlegalhelp.org/.../michigan-protection-and-advocacy-service

The mission of MPAS is to advocate and protect the legal rights of people with disabilities.
Post Tue Apr 08, 2014 6:22 am 
jh88718
F L I N T O I D

Smile. Thanks! Obviously I'm making someone mad because the jail refused her family visitation rights yesterday. Instead of understanding and correcting the mistake, our legal system takes the macho alpha male approach of defending until the very end. When will we understand that everyone is only human and we all make mistakes. Morally and ethically, the correct decision is to provide this disabeled woman with the proper medical treatment that she deserves and rule on the recent decision of the Michigan Court of Appeals. Stop the legal torture of the 60 year old disabeled woman. As stated before, some people are just too proud to do the correct thing.
Post Tue Apr 08, 2014 2:29 pm 
jh88718
F L I N T O I D

The Hodge family finally made contact with their mother, her medical condition is getting worse and she is starting to loose sight in her left eye. The jail is still refusing medical treatment for her MS attacks. Does anyone know what the process is to file a grievance from within the jail?
Post Thu Apr 10, 2014 5:44 pm 
jh88718
F L I N T O I D

Just looking through the court records...Michigan Court of Appeals notified Judge Beagles office on 01/07/14 reversing the matter. A mandatory settlement conference occurred on 04/01 where Hodge's attorney asked Judge Beagle to rule on the Michigan Court of Appeals reversal; however, Hodge was thrown in jail for 90 days. On 04/08, Judge Beagle agreed to have an evidentiary hearing regarding the court of appeals ruling but the hearing will not take place until 06/05. In the mean time, Hodge sits in jail waiting for this hearing. Should it take 5 months for the lower court to review the ruling from the higher court?

702 01/07/14 A LETTER SENT FROM THE
MICHIGAN COURT OF APPEALS
FILED
703 REMITTITUR FROM THE MICHIGAN
COURT OF APPEALS FILED
(INDICATING THE MATTER IS
REVERSED AND REMANDED FOR
FURTHER PROCEEDINGS)
711 02/14/14 NOTICE SENT FOR: 04/01/14 10:00 AM
MANDATORY SETTLEMENT CONFERENCE
PARTIES MUST ATTEND
712 03/03/14 MOTION FEE PAID
RECEIPT# 00396661 AMT $20.00
713 D 001 SET NEXT DATE FOR: 03/10/14 1:30 PM
MOTION HEARING
D-MTN FOR CIVIL CONTEMPT &
REQUEST FOR HEARING ON A
MOTION FILED
714 NOTICE OF HEARING FILED
715 D 001 RESPONSE FILED
716 PROOF OF SERVICE FILED
717 D 001 MOTION FILED
718 D 001 BRIEF FILED
719 PROOF OF SERVICE FILED
721 03/07/14 LIMITED APPEARANCE FILED
720 03/10/14 MOTION HEARING
PROCEEDING DIGITALLY RECORDED
ATTY STREBY AND ATTY XUEREB
APPEARED REGARDING PLAINTIFF'S
MOTION TO HOLD DEFT IN
CONTEMPT,ENTER ALIMONY,VACATE
INJUNCTION, AWARD ATTORNEY
FEES AND GRANT RELIEF AND FOR
DEFENDANT'S MOTION FOR
CONTEMPT AND DEFAULT. MOTIONS
WERE HEARD. COURT PRESERVED
ALL MOTIONS UNTIL THE
SETTLEMENT CONFERENCE ON
4-1-14.
722 04/01/14 AFFIDAVIT FILED
724 MANDATORY SETTLEMENT CONFERENCE
(DIGITALLY RECORDED)
723 04/02/14 ORDER FINDING PLTF SHEILA
HODGE IN CONTEMPT AND
SENTENCING HER TO 90 DAYS IN
JAIL FILED
725 04/08/14 NOTICE SENT FOR: 06/05/14 8:30 AM
NON-JURY TRIAL
EVIDENTIARY HRG RE CT OF APPEA
LS DECISION
Post Thu Apr 10, 2014 6:37 pm 
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

Contact the Sheriff regarding this issue. If you receive no response contact the Attorney General and the ACLU.
Post Thu Apr 10, 2014 8:15 pm 

Jump to:  
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Last Topic | Next Topic  >

Forum Rules: