FAQFAQ   SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlistRegisterRegister  ProfileProfile   Log in[ Log in ]  Flint Talk RSSFlint Talk RSS

»Home »Open Chat »Political Talk  Â»Flint Journal »Political Jokes »The Bob Leonard Show  

Flint Michigan online news magazine. We have lively web forums

FlintTalk.com Forum Index > Political Talk

Topic: Racial discrimination claim at Hurley Neonatal
Goto page 1, 2  Next
  Author    Post Post new topic Reply to topic
Dave Starr
F L I N T O I D

Nurse sues hospital over alleged racist note
Posted: Feb 13, 2013 12:55 PM EST Updated: Feb 13, 2013 4:51 PM EST
By Liz Gelardi, TV5 Reporter - bio | email

FLINT, MI (WNEM) -

A nurse is suing Hurley Medical Center over allegations of discrimination.

A lawsuit filed against Hurley claims she found a note in a patient's file stating, "No African American nurse to take care of baby."

According to court documents, the nurse was caring for a baby in the Neonatal Intensive Care Unit when the baby's father asked to speak with a supervisor. The lawsuit states he told the nurse in charge that he didn't want any African Americans taking care of his baby, then he pulled up a sleeve showing a tattoo believed to be a Swastika.

The lawsuit states the baby was re-assigned to another nurse.

Court documents read "[She] was shocked, offended and in disbelief that she was so egregiously discriminated against based on her race and re-assigned."

An attorney for the nurse said when the nurse returned to work the next day she found the note posted on the assignment clipboard.

The nurse has worked at the hospital since 1988. To read the full complaint, click here.

WNEM TV5 reached out to Hurley Medical Center and they released this statement, "Hurley Medical Center does not comment on past or current litigation."

Stay with WNEM.com and TV5 as we continue to follow this developing story.

Copyright 2013 WNEM (Meredith Corporation). All rights reserved.

Pushing buttons sure can be fun.

When a lion wants to go somewhere, he doesn’t worry about how many hyenas are in the way.

Paddle faster, I hear banjos.
Post Wed Feb 13, 2013 6:41 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website  Reply with quote  
00SL2
F L I N T O I D

quote:
The lawsuit states he told the nurse in charge that he didn't want any African Americans taking care of his baby, then he pulled up a sleeve showing a tattoo believed to be a Swastika.
If I were the nurse, I'd leave well enough alone (following the order in the file) and personally avoid any contact with that individual or his baby. Why invite trouble? If I were the only nurse available and something happened to his baby, he would be the one responsible, not me.
Post Wed Feb 13, 2013 7:44 pm 
Dave Starr
F L I N T O I D

Remember the episode of MASH where they used brown shoe polish to turn a racist GI's skin brown? What if........... NAH!! Very Happy

When a lion wants to go somewhere, he doesn’t worry about how many hyenas are in the way.

Post Wed Feb 13, 2013 7:50 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website  Reply with quote  
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

I agree with OOSL2. The hospital has an obligation to protect their staff. If they perceived a possible threat to the nurse, they probably had to make some changes.

It had to hurt for the nurse to be told she was unaceptable to care for a child when caring for these babies was her chosen vocation. There may have been another action other than a cold unpersonal note. I just feel her anger may be misplaced.
Post Wed Feb 13, 2013 8:12 pm 
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

Sam Riddle

Will be part of a NAN team visiting Hurley Hospital in Flint authorized to take direct action to expose practices that prohibited a Black nurse from touching a white baby-stay tuned
Post Mon Feb 18, 2013 11:51 pm 
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

Nurse sues Flint hospital that allegedly fulfilled father's 'No African American nurse' request

Posted: Feb 19, 2013 6:42 AM ESTUpdated: Feb 19, 2013 6:45 AM EST

By Fox 2 News Staff

Read the complaint: Nurse sues Flint Hospital over alleged racist note

FLINT, Mich. (WJBK) -
A hospital in Flint is being sued by one of its nurses over allegations of discrimination. That nurse, who is African American, says officials at Hurley Medical Center fulfilled a father's request that only white nurses take care of his white child.

The lawsuit claims the nurse, who has been with the hospital since 1988, found a note prominently posted on the patient's file that read: "No African American nurse to take care of baby."

According to court documents uncovered by WNEM reporter Liz Gelardi, the nurse was caring for a baby in the Neonatal Intensive Care Unit in October when the baby's father asked to speak with a supervisor. The lawsuit states he told the nurse in charge that he didn't want any African Americans taking care of his baby, then he pulled up a sleeve showing a tattoo believed to be a Swastika.

The lawsuit states the baby was re-assigned to another nurse.

Gelardi says hospital attorneys were made aware of the request and attempted to put it to an end. The nurse's attorney, however, says the practice continued and no African American nurses cared for the baby during the child's month-long stay.

Hurley Medical Center officials released a statement this week that said, "Hurley Medical Center does not comment on past or current litigation."

Read more: http://www.myfoxdetroit.com/story/21239160/nurse-sues-flint-hospital-that-allegedly-fulfilled-a-fathers-no-african-american-nurse-request#.USNp6DjSVYc.facebook#ixzz2LLWlXMwh
Post Tue Feb 19, 2013 7:12 am 
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

I heard from Sam Riddle 5 minutes ago. NAN (National Action Network) of Flint is already working on this issue. NAN ia associated with Rev Al Sharpton.
Post Tue Feb 19, 2013 7:14 am 
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

More Offers:

rainforest action network, national action financial

National Action Network | No Justice, No Peace

nationalactionnetwork.net/

Charles Williams & Lou Gossett, Jr. at NAN Detroit Saturday Rally · Read more · Rev. Sharpton speaks at NAN Saturday Action Rally in Detroit, MI · Read more ...

Contact Us - NAN Live - Events - Membership
Post Tue Feb 19, 2013 9:13 am 
twotap
F L I N T O I D

Who could have forseen Al Sharpton Shocked getting involved but hey when your alleged rape cases prove false and your not busy insighting riots and burning folks to death what have you got left. AND just what are the supposed damages this nurse suffered???

Post Tue Feb 19, 2013 9:20 am 
Dave Starr
F L I N T O I D

As we drove by Hurley about noon, we saw a channel 4 Detroit news van pulling up in front of the hospital.

Post Tue Feb 19, 2013 2:25 pm 
twotap
F L I N T O I D

Im sure MSNBC has picked up the story also. Rolling Eyes Like has been stated just what are the damages this nurse supposedly suffered. Im sure Maddow will find some or make some up. Laughing

Post Tue Feb 19, 2013 3:30 pm 
twotap
F L I N T O I D

This just in ---the list grows longer
Sam Riddle, political director for the state of Michigan for NAN , said it was an act of racial discrimination.

“The moment they posted that notice stating that this child was not to be touched by black hands, that was a manifestation of institutional racism,” Riddle said.

Riddle, a former Flint mayoral candidate, was released from federal prison last year after serving time in a bribery case .
Laughing

Post Tue Feb 19, 2013 3:33 pm 
00SL2
F L I N T O I D

ABC12 just showed the "note" and it didn't have the nurse's name on it who is doing the suing. If this is truly a "race" issue then why is she the only nurse suing? As for "posting" the note, other sources claim it was attached to a clipboard for that patient, which I would not expect would be "posted" in a public place.
Post Tue Feb 19, 2013 6:21 pm 
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

Hospital responds to claims of racial discrimination

Posted: Feb 19, 2013 6:13 PM EST Updated: Feb 19, 2013 6:40 PM EST

By Liz Gelardi, TV5 Reporter - bio | email

FLINT, MI (WNEM) -
The hospital at the center of a racial discrimination lawsuit has issued a new statement.

Hurley Medical Center President Melany Gavulic spoke to TV5 for the first time since the allegations.

A nurse filed a lawsuit against the hospital for discrimination. According to court documents, she was caring for a baby when the child's father made a request that no African-American nurses take care of his baby.

The hospital president confirms the father made the request, but her story is different from the allegations made in the lawsuit.

"The father was informed that his request could not be honored," said Gavulic.

According to the lawsuit, the hospital didn't assign any black nurses to the baby during the hospital stay, which lasted more than a month. The lawsuit also refers to a note taped on a hospital clipboard, "No African-American nurse to take care of baby."

Al Sharpton's National Action Network held a press conference outside the hospital to demand answers.

"She lit the fire and now we're going to fan the fire and we're going to make sure this is taken care of," said the Rev. Charles Williams II with the National Action Network.

Below is the hospital's full statement regarding the incident:

Hurley is proud to be the safety net provider for this community for over 105 years. We value the support of the patients who entrust us with their care and the dedication of our physicians and staff. This includes Nurse Battle and her quarter century of professionalism and dedication.

While I cannot comment on the suit and answer questions, I can share some insights. The issue was triggered by a father of a baby who demanded that no African American nurse be involved in his baby's care. Upon making his demand, he then showed Nurse Battle's supervisor his swastika tattoo, which created anger and outrage in our staff. This resulted in concern by supervisors for the safety of the staff. The father was informed that his request could not be granted.

Hurley Medical Center has had a rich history and reputation of supporting and valuing diversity and remains committed to our policy of non discrimination. As a premier academic medical center, Hurley strives to continuously provide education to our staff. This issue will be used in future training sessions to ensure that employees are prepared to handle situations such as this. We appreciate the community's concern and involvement, as we publicly clarify the facts of this case. The medical center looks forward to a quick and amicable resolution."

Melany Gavulic, RN, MBA

President & Chief Executive Officer

Hurley Medical Center
Post Tue Feb 19, 2013 7:48 pm 
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

For more details on this story, visit http://www.wnem.com/story/21176341/nurse-sues-hospital-over-alleged-racist-note

To read the full complaint, click http://ftpcontent.worldnow.com/wnem/WNEM/20130213124455389.pdf
Post Tue Feb 19, 2013 7:57 pm 

Jump to:  
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Last Topic | Next Topic  >

Forum Rules: