FAQFAQ   SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlistRegisterRegister  ProfileProfile   Log in[ Log in ]  Flint Talk RSSFlint Talk RSS

»Home »Open Chat »Political Talk  Â»Flint Journal »Political Jokes »The Bob Leonard Show  

Flint Michigan online news magazine. We have lively web forums

FlintTalk.com Forum Index > Political Talk

Topic: Deconstruction-Detroit's new blight plan
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
  Author    Post Post new topic Reply to topic
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

Yeaterday's Detroit News featured the salvage of lumber and fixtures from abandoned home to be used in furniture and other uses. Their lead photo displayed reclaimed hardwood floors made into a bed. The wood is also reclaimed to refurbish historic commercial buildings as a tribute to the age of the buildings.

Us older folks remember when reclaimed barn wood was the decorating rage. Barns were purchased and carefully stripped to reuse the wood. Even the historic beams found a use.

Several years ago MSHDA made deconstruction a part of their reguirements for using MSHDA money for demolition. The metal thieves in many instances made that a moot point as the level of destruction precluded reuse. Also many older homes in Flint that were constructed for the rising number of factory employees early in GM's history were poorly constructed and did not easily lend themselves to deconstruction.

Over 20 years ago I went with a friend to a recycling business that featured architectural features and reclaimed wood items from older homes. At a resort in upstate New York, they used recyled fireplaces, chandeliers and other details for their many individualized dining and meeting rooms. As old mansions were being torn down, collectors bid for these elaborate details. One of my favorites was a black stone fireplace and matching chandelier from an old monastery.

Last edited by untanglingwebs on Mon May 19, 2014 3:48 pm; edited 2 times in total
Post Sat Feb 09, 2013 7:48 am 
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

Deconstruction

By Sally Deneen

What the heck is "deconstruction"? It's the preservationist's answer to the crude act of bulldozing a building and dumping the splintered remains into a dump truck for burial in a landfill. Deconstruction involves going room by room, handpicking features to be salvaged: millwork, crown moldings, pretty leaded windows, still-sound kitchen cabinets, crystal chandeliers, maple floors, and so on. They don't have to be fancy things. Items typically salvaged also include reusable structural commodities, such as bricks and lumber.

Deconstruction salvages still-usable building materials that would otherwise be dumped, wasting precious resources like hardwood and needlessly straining landfills.

On the flip side, the trend also provides a route for consumers to buy affordable salvaged features to spruce up the home, such as maybe a maple cutting block, birch cabinets, a slate countertop or salvaged barn planks that can be transformed into a kitchen table. (See photos: http://www.re-store.org/exampleshome.htm).

Such goodies are sold at salvage stores, which may also be called "reuse stores" or "re-stores." For example, Habitat for Humanity accepts and sells salvaged materials at its ReStores around the country. Some of its stores make enough money to pay for the building of 10 extra Habitat homes a year. (Find stores at http://www.habitat.org/env/restores.aspx).

The demolition and renovation of buildings in the U.S. produces 124,670,000 tons of debris each year, according to the Deconstruction Institute. That's an awful lot when you consider that just one 2,000-square-foot wood-frame home has the potential to yield 6,000-board-feet of reusable lumber. That amount is equal to 33 mature trees-or as much as what 10-acres of planted pine would yield each year.

Deconstruction of your own home can save you some of the cost of having the debris hauled way. There are approximately 3,500 construction and demolition salvage operators around the nation who make a business out of tearing down, removing and salvaging used materials. Plus, it's possible to donate deconstructed materials to organizations that provide them to low-income families-making it a socially responsible thing to do, as well as an environmentally responsible one. And a possible tax deduction sweetens the deal.

For more info:

* Find lots of resources at DeconstructionInstitute.com

* Deconstructing for Dollars:www.bizjournals.com/seattle/stories/2003/04/07/focus1.html

Read more: http://www.thedailygreen.com/living-green/definitions/deconstruction#ixzz2KP84SmnC
Post Sat Feb 09, 2013 7:49 am 
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

The Detroit article details the work of Reclaim Detroit, an arm of the WARM Training Center. the wood they were carefully harvesting from 2 abandoned homes was slated to be sold to furniture makers. End grain Woodworking is one of the companies that purchases this wood. The potential end products for this wood are endless.

Old windows, doors and even old radiators and iron heating grates are up for resale. Pick up any DIY home decorating magazine and there are projects using reclaimed items that can easily be made for any home. I once saw a backyard green house made from old windows.

While it is more expensive to demolish in this manner,it can save on landfill costs and provide job training for the unemployed.
Post Sat Feb 09, 2013 7:59 am 
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

When a home in the 400 block of mary was being renovated with federal money, a fight erupted between the owners and the contractor hired by salem Housing. The woman was irate when the walnut doors were removed and replaced and the oak trim was being removed. Those were valuable commodities and added to the value of the house The contractor threatened to stop work and leave with the house in disreopair.

The house was in Smith Village and was only supposed to have code work and cosmetic work so it would match the new houses to be built. later an electrcal fire started in the kitchen where a new stove vent was installed. The work discontinued and the five residents were displaced.

I have heard about individuals being allowed to remove old doors, and resellable items from homes being demolished. So someone is aware of the market for old things.

Last edited by untanglingwebs on Mon Oct 21, 2013 8:16 am; edited 1 time in total
Post Sun Feb 10, 2013 7:39 am 
TruthTalk
F L I N T O I D

When people go into these old houses and start creating dust by stripping lumber and tearing walls down they are disturbing the asbestos that 90% of flint homes have. Asbestos is a tiny fiber that floats in the air when disturbed, then you breath it into your lungs. Asbestos abatment (removal) is very expensive, many times more than the total cost of demolition. Many times it is logical to determine the home unsafe, and demolish the structure as asbestos containing material. The home will then be tore down while being adequetly wetted to keep down the fibers in the air.
Post Sun Feb 10, 2013 1:57 pm 
TruthTalk
F L I N T O I D

I would not recommend people going into these homes uneducated about the potential hazards trying to salvage building materials. On the flip side I hope all the metal thieves get a good dose of asbestos fibers that will thin them out some down the line. I support "going green" and saving materials but sometimes the risk out ways the reward...
Post Sun Feb 10, 2013 2:02 pm 
twotap
F L I N T O I D

I agree heres hoping lots of baggypants bangers get a good dose of asbestos. Laughing

Post Sun Feb 10, 2013 2:39 pm 
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

They are now training employees how to do it correctly and safely. The Detroit news article stressed the risk.

But you have to admit the people strpping the homes now and tearing out walls to get at the copper and wiring are taking a great deal of risk.

Some nonprofits have already had people taking unique structural pieces, chandeliers, door and hardware so the risk has always been there. And most of these were professional people doing the thievery. Why not have people being trained to do this safely. There is a company called Materials Unlimited in Ypsilanti and more than one company in Detroit as well as habitat for Humanity. All of these people can't be "baggypants bangers".
Post Sun Feb 10, 2013 5:34 pm 
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

While waiting in an office, I spotted this article on "Upcycling ideas, a kitchen from castoffs, in the April may edition of Country Woman.

While not my style, the end result was impressive with new energy efficient appliances blended with a table made from two slabs of cedar. Nearly everything was repurposed and the article emphasized how many of the high end materials, the stone, wood and some lighting ) had been destined for the landfill.
With the help of a local carpenter, who had been salvaging deconstructing materials for years, they had a wealth of materials.

Recycled wood made the open kitchen shelves and other purchases were made from a Habitat for humanity recycling outlet. They salvaged marble backsplash and granite counter tops from a supplier needing to dispose of leftover building materials.

They repurposed a cast iron American Standard janitorial sink which was handy for the owners canning and other chores. They call the open plumbing "janitorial chic"

The cedar table was made of offcuts from a sawmill burn pile. The entry bench is solid oak timbers that came from a vintage industrial shipping crate.

While not everyone can pull off this kind of project, and indeed many may not even want to, it demonstrates how recycling and deconstruction can benefit the environment.
Post Fri Apr 19, 2013 8:27 pm 
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

The Habitat ReStore is a place for donating and purchasing used and new building materials and home improvement items. The ReStore is open to the general public, so stop in and see what’s new! Prices at the ReStore are at least 50% below retail price. Profits from the ReStore support the Genesee County Habitat for Humanity’s mission of providing affordable home-ownership opportunities to lower income people.

The ReStore accepts:
•Construction Materials
•Operating Appliances
•Electrical and Plumbing fixtures
•Windows
•Furniture
•Hardware
•Other Items for Resale

Donations
The ReStore is in constant need of donations. If you have items left over from a bathroom or kitchen remodel or have a garage cluttered with construction materials, electrical fixtures, or used, yet operable appliances you no longer need, please consider donating your goods to the ReStore. By doing so, you will be supporting the Genesee County Habitat for Humanity, and be eligible to receive a tax-deduction for your donation. We accept donations during regular business hours or a pickup can be arranged by calling 810.766.9089

Volunteers
We need your help. If you have some free time, or know someone who is looking for ways to help the community, why not volunteer at the ReStore. We have many different positions for all skill levels, such as operating a cash register, providing customer service, and stocking shelves.

The ReStore location
101 Burton Street
Flint, MI 48503
Next door to the Farmers Market on the Flint River

Hours
Tuesday – Saturday 9am-5pm

Contact Us
Phone: (810) 766-9089 xt. 2
Fax: (810) 766-9094
restore@geneseehabitat.org>
Post Fri Apr 19, 2013 8:32 pm 
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

Job Posting–ReStore Creative Director

April 13, 2013 No Comments

Genesee County Habitat for Humanity: ReStore Creative Director

Genesee County Habitat’s home improvement outlet is seeking an organized, creative, efficient, flexible, energetic and personable individual for the position of ReStore Creative Director. The ReStore is a unique retail environment that sells new and used donated building supplies, home improvement merchandise and furniture to the public and looks to expand to include post production manufacturing waste that can be repurposed for art, crafts and educational purposes.
Qualified candidates will have a background in creating art or crafts, scheduling and logistics, experience with retail sales, have a “customer first” mindset and have the desire to work in a nonstandard retail environment. This is an opportunity for a creative professional who wants to apply his/her skills to raise funds to support a successful non-profit organization. The mission of Habitat for Humanity brings people together to build homes, communities and hope.

The ReStore Creative Director is directly responsible for:
•Creating and maintaining the ReMade Art and Craft retail space within ReStore
•Craft classes using post production products on site and in the community.
•Cultivation of manufacturing donors.
•Promptly returning calls from prospective donors, scheduling and donation pick-ups.
•Packaging items/kits for resale and manufacturing display items.
•Creating efficient schedules.
•Interacting positively with donors and customers providing superior customer service.
•Assisting with the retail operation, including operating the cash register.
•Website and social media design and updates.
•Following all store and Habitat for Humanity policies and procedures.

This position is full-time; offers a benefits package. Qualified candidates possess the following:
•Education
- Minimum High School Diploma or GED, Bachelor’s Degree preferred.
•Experience
- Minimum of one year of retail sales experience.
- Routing/scheduling and/or logistics experience preferred.
- Artist or crafter
- Marketing
•Skills
- Knowledge of fair market values of new and used building materials.
- Superior customer service skills.
- Able to lift up to 50 pounds, perform heavy manual tasks, work standing or walking for a full work day, and be capable of performing outside duties under all weather conditions
- Operate a cash register with proficiency.
- Able to supervise volunteers with a wide range of skills and abilities- Excellent computer skills including web design
- Working knowledge of Genesee County Michigan

To apply: Send resume and salary required to Margaret Kato, 101 Burton Street Flint MI 48503

By Wednesday April 24, 2013
Post Fri Apr 19, 2013 8:34 pm 
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

Job Details
PROGRAM OUTREACH COORDINATOR - RUTH MOTT FOUNDATION

Manages the design, development, implementation and evaluation of programs at Applewood, the historic Mott family home, and in the community. Identifies strategic opportunities and connections with the community that enhance program effectiveness. Creates and fosters relationships with Flint residents, organizations and businesses to develop partnerships, processes and programs that are culturally competent and address community needs.

Bachelor's degree required. Strong written, verbal and supervisory skills. Demonstrated ability to work collaboratively and effectively with people from different cultures and backgrounds, with colleagues and community-based organizations. Demonstrated ability for critical thinking, independent judgment, creative problem solving and ability to handle multiple tasks and tight deadlines with efficiency and accuracy. Proficient with Microsoft Office and web applications. Experience in evaluation methods is desired.

Physical Demands: May need to travel up and down stairs; bend, stoop, and lift to move materials; to pull/push, lift and carry up to 40 pounds; and to reach both above and below shoulder height. The nature of the work requires the ability to work in both indoor and outdoor environments.

Salary: $50,000-$55,000; excellent benefit package.

Send resume and salary history by April 26 to Denise Holaly, Ruth Mott Foundation, 111 E. Court Street, Suite 3C, Flint, MI 48502-1649, dholaly@ruthmott.org Web Id: 0004597513
Post Sat Apr 20, 2013 6:53 am 
Dave Starr
F L I N T O I D

There's a house on our block that's deconstructing itself. The rear wall, roof & floor at the rear have collapsed & fallen into the basement, which has been full of water up to ground level for 4 or 5 years now. At the back, the basement is exposed, so there is a danger of someone "exploring" and falling into the 8ft of water. The guy that lived there was a hoarder, so every room on both floors is 2 to 3 feet deep in trash. There's quite a stench coming from the house & it'll probably be really ripe as it gets warmer.

I contacted the owner, the land bank, some months ago & got the standard "we don't have any money" answer. Since the collapse of the rear of the house I contacted them again but haven't got an answer yet.

There's another house on our block that will probably be deconstructing itself as well. There was a fire due to a power surge this past winter. The inside is pretty much burned out, wityh some exterior damage at the back where the breaker panel was. The good thing is that the lady that lived there, her son & grandson, got out OK. They lost everything, but they weren't hurt.
The house has been stripped; siding, furnace, water heater & appliances. We've cleaned up the trash in the yard to make it look as good as we can, and the landlord said he'd be here in the next week to board it up. He's a good guy, so I have no doubts he will do what he said he would. He's always maintained the house well.

Now the good part..... When the landlord comes, he said he will bring me copies of the letter he got from his insurance company stating they paid the city of Flint $8700.00 to tear the house down. We also has a letter from the city acknowledging this. Knowing the city, the money probably went into the general fund and demolition will never happen.

Not to mention we're North of Welch Blvd., which according to word on the street is in the "ignore & let it rot" zone.

BTW, removing items from abandoned houses, whether scrapping or deconstructing, without the written permission of the owner is a prosecutable crime, per a district Judge I talked to.

Pushing buttons sure can be fun.

When a lion wants to go somewhere, he doesn’t worry about how many hyenas are in the way.

Paddle faster, I hear banjos.
Post Sat Apr 20, 2013 7:35 am 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website  Reply with quote  
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

Deconstruction is part of any demolition paid for with MSHDA money. Remember when people paid small fortunes to demolish barns for the timbers and siding?

Habitat gets items when people do demolitions or remodels.
Post Sat Apr 20, 2013 11:20 am 
Dave Starr
F L I N T O I D

The demolitions I've seen involve an excavator crushing everything into the basement, then loading the wreckage into tricks for disposal. I haven't seen anything saved for habitat.

Pushing buttons sure can be fun.

When a lion wants to go somewhere, he doesn’t worry about how many hyenas are in the way.

Paddle faster, I hear banjos.
Post Sat Apr 20, 2013 12:57 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website  Reply with quote  

Jump to:  
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Last Topic | Next Topic  >

Forum Rules: