FAQFAQ   SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlistRegisterRegister  ProfileProfile   Log in[ Log in ]  Flint Talk RSSFlint Talk RSS

»Home »Open Chat »Political Talk  Â»Flint Journal »Political Jokes »The Bob Leonard Show  

Flint Michigan online news magazine. We have lively web forums

FlintTalk.com Forum Index > Political Talk

Topic: More Recall high jinks!

Author    Post Post new topic Reply to topic
Steve Myers
Site Admin
Site Admin

Petitions are circulating, but it might be spring before Flint residents know if they'll get to vote on whether to recall Flint Mayor Don Williamson.

Recall organizer Eric Mays says the mayor's actions in the coming months will determine whether he can gather enough signatures. Mays, a former supporter, filed petition language to recall Williamson in November over the mayor's public personal attacks against opponents, his refusal to pay vendors who are owed money by the city and his decision not to follow the 2004-05 amended budget.

Mays said Williamson has since stopped his public name-calling and made announcements that he was paying some bills owed, but he remains locked in battle with the City Council over the budget.

"It could be 50-50," Mays said about whether the two sides can mend fences. "I'm hoping a new year brings better relations between the council and the mayor."

But peace between the mayor and council might be a long shot with some influential members committed to Williamson's ouster.

"I just really hope I get what I want for Christmas, and that's a new mayor," said Council President Johnnie Coleman at the council's last meeting of the year. "I've asked Santa, I've asked God and everybody else that I can ask that we be delivered."

So far, Mays says he's collected slightly more than 1,000 signatures since the language was approved in November - fewer than he thought. He said many residents are split, especially because they don't understand the negative impact of the mayor's budget transgressions and do approve of his street paving and clean-up program.

Mays has until May to submit at least 7,250 valid signatures collected over a 90-day period. If enough signatures are collected, an election would be scheduled within six months. He said even if the mayor changes his ways, if enough people submit signatures, he'll turn them in.

Williamson said he believes the effort is fueled by his political opponents who are part of an entrenched establishment that opposes his reforms and wouldn't be supported by the public at large. Still, he said if it reaches the ballot, it'll be up to the people."If it does happen, we're (Williamson and his wife) going to lose $2 a year," he said, referring to the minimal salary the multimillion-dollar couple takes in service to the city.

Flull Story:
http://www.mlive.com/news/fljournal/index.ssf?/base/news-25/110459461645240.xmlry:
Post Sat Jan 01, 2005 8:14 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger  Reply with quote  
ModusPonens
F L I N T O I D

I think he is exercising his right as a citizen, although much of it might be attributed to his own self-indulgent need to stay in the limelight. It is unfortunate that recalls have become a tool to interrupt the political "will" of voters. Imagine if the President of the United States could be recalled. I am of the mindset that, once they're in, let 'em serve their term and then vote them out if they don't meet your expectations.
Post Thu Jan 20, 2005 7:49 am 

Jump to:  

Last Topic | Next Topic  >

Forum Rules: