FAQFAQ   SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlistRegisterRegister  ProfileProfile   Log in[ Log in ]  Flint Talk RSSFlint Talk RSS

»Home »Open Chat »Political Talk  Â»Flint Journal »Political Jokes »The Bob Leonard Show  

Flint Michigan online news magazine. We have lively web forums

FlintTalk.com Forum Index > Open chat

Topic: Video stores displaying sexual visual material

Author    Post Post new topic Reply to topic
rapunzel

I take my 9 year old daughter to a video store. Right next to Disney Princess videos(new release of Snow White ect) is playboy videos. While these may not be x-rated or qualify for "back Room" as the owner tells me. It was still very sexually explicit and had no business in the same line of vision as Disney videos for little girls. I asked that one or the other moved to a different section of the store. As the new releases are in alphabetical order I guess Playboy resides next to Princesses? The owner tells me there is nothing he can do. so I looked up this following bill and I think it applies. I tried to be nice and I support my local businesses but I will ask for support from the police or someone to enforce this law. I welcome any thoughts on how to pursue this? I may just bring in foxx 66 if the police don't help me on this issue. Maybe I should take my camera in to the store and take a picture of the shelf placement of these videos?

ENROLLED HOUSE BILL No. 4702

AN ACT to amend 1978 PA 33, entitled "An act to prohibit the dissemination, exhibiting, or displaying of certain sexually explicit matter to minors; to prohibit certain misrepresentations facilitating the dissemination of sexually explicit matter to minors; to provide penalties; to provide for declaratory judgments and injunctive relief in certain instances; to impose certain duties upon prosecuting attorneys and the circuit court; to preempt local units of government from proscribing certain conduct; and to repeal certain acts and parts of acts," by amending section 3 (MCL722.673), as amended by 2003 PA 192.

The People of the State of Michigan enact:

Sec. 3. As used in this act:

(a) "Sexually explicit matter" means sexually explicit visual material, sexually explicit verbal material, or sexually explicit performance.

(b) "Sexually explicit performance" means a motion picture, video game, exhibition, show, representation, or other presentation that, in whole or in part, depicts nudity, sexual excitement, erotic fondling, sexual intercourse, or sadomasochistic abuse.

(c) "Sexually explicit verbal material" means a book, pamphlet, magazine, printed matter reproduced in any manner, or sound recording that contains an explicit and detailed verbal description or narrative account of sexual excitement, erotic fondling, sexual intercourse, or sadomasochistic abuse.

(d) "Sexually explicit visual material" means a picture, photograph, drawing, sculpture, motion picture film, video game, or similar visual representation that depicts nudity, sexual excitement, erotic fondling, sexual intercourse, or sadomasochistic abuse, or a book, magazine, or pamphlet that contains such a visual representation. An undeveloped photograph, mold, or similar visual material may be sexually explicit material notwithstanding that processing or other acts may be required to make its sexually explicit content apparent.

(e) "Video game" means an object or device that stores recorded data or instructions generated by a person who uses it, and by processing the data or instructions creates an interactive game capable of being played, viewed, or experienced on or through a computer, gaming system, game console, or other technology.

Enacting section 1. This amendatory act takes effect December 1, 2005.

This act is ordered to take immediate effect.

Clerk of the House of Representatives

Secretary of the Senate

Approved

Governor
Post Sun Jan 01, 2006 2:13 am 
Adam Ford

What store is this? Is it a chain store? If it is a chain store I would just call the 800 number and tell them what a horrible person the owner is. If it's an independent store perhaps he makes more off the Playboy videos than the Disney Videos. If that's the case you might have a hard time winning. It depends on if the courts would consider the video covers sexually explicit. I don't think a playboy bunny or a girl in a bikini is considered sexually explicit by the courts. Your point does make sense to me though.

webmaster@mysearchisover.com
Post Sun Jan 01, 2006 2:28 pm 
Ted Jankowski

I was reading some of your posts on Mlive. Damn nice job you did there.
Post Wed Jan 04, 2006 10:33 pm 
rapunzel

Thanks Jerr- bear. I only asked that they be moved above children's line of site. Adam made a good point and was quite correct. This used to be a family chain of video stores but is now independent. He has lost money on the front end of the store but is making more in the 18 and older end. Such that he is bringing the advertising for the "rear end" out front and this is non-compliant of the law when placing next to Disney Princess videos. These Playboy video covers were not just bunny's with cotton tails but naked women fondling themselves with blocks over important parts. Now children are not fools and understand the blocked out parts.

The prosecuters office came to the same conclusion I did,after some thought. He wants to have a xxx business to be able to stay in business. So he would have to be re Zoned and as this is within a thousand feet of a childrens center. Not Happenin on my watch! Not bringing more sexual predators than are already on the books for the area.

So thanks for the kudos, but I'm not quite finished.
Post Wed Jan 04, 2006 11:55 pm 

Maybe you should no longer frequent the store? If you are offended then speak with your money. We have enough useless laws on the books.
Post Thu Jan 26, 2006 4:12 pm 
yeti

Don't know if it matters or not, but at the Meijers on Pierson Rd, the Crayons are right next to the KY jelly and Condoms.
Post Fri Jan 27, 2006 7:24 pm 
rapunzel

That would depend on the graphics on the packaging. If they had explicit photos? One might argue that children asking "What are those for" might open a good line of communication to discuss STD's. Parent's should discuss reasons for abstinence to children at much younger ages nowadays.

That said, most children using crayons are a bit to young for that discussion! If you mentioned it here, it obviously made you uncomfortable enough to take due notice. Please ask to speak to the manager politely. Ask if the floor plan of the store could be adjusted so one or the other be moved? Many chain stores have a floor plan that is the same at many district stores. If during your polite, concerned discussion the manager states there is nothing he\she can do ...ask for the district managers contact info. Write a letter or email, save a copy make sure it is dated. You may want to ask for the store managers contact info so you can also send them a dated copy.

Our children are inundated with sexual graphics, violence ect.. It is up to parents to decide where to draw the line. After all it is parents that are blamed for not raising them right when they make mistakes.

Good Luck!
Post Fri Jan 27, 2006 8:16 pm 
rapunzel

I finally decided to step back into that video store. The playboy videos were moved to the top shelf. Probably 7ft hieght, they also had stickers that said must be 18 or older to check out. (Polar Express was also on the top shelf!)

Funny thing my daughter is watching the princess video now! I am glad at least the raunchy videos were moved above her line of sight.

The door to the back room now has stonger warnings. must be 18 or older, under video survaillence (sp) 20 minute limit to be in back room.

The door to the back room should be revolving. 7 people entered during the short time I was there. They are obviously doing a majority of their business in xxx. How many sexual preditors may be frequenting this site?

This is not a useless law but one that was created to protect children. Now about the zoning laws....
Post Fri Jan 27, 2006 8:37 pm 
Ted Jankowski
F L I N T O I D

It appears they hav ticked you off a bit. LOL Had the owner just responded in the proper manner. You would not have even thought about the zoning for this establishment. You would have been happy with him just doing the right thing and putting them out of sight of chidren. But, beause he had to be an ASS about it. now he has got you fired up. I'm not making fun of you. It's actualy kind of cool that your not just accepting what he has done or the status quo. But, now really wanting this looked into. Here is another thought for you. What is the owners name? Is he on the Sexual Preditors list in Michigan?
Post Sat Jan 28, 2006 8:06 am 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger  Reply with quote  
yeti

FWIW -

The crayons/condoms didnt make me uncomfortable, i thought it was funny that I could pick up a coloring book at the same time that i was shopping for flavored lube.
Post Sat Jan 28, 2006 7:28 pm 
rapunzel

Well, in that case enjoy your coloring stuff! Yeti, and thanks for your input!

Jerry, that is a good question...Hmmmm ...seemed like a nice guy until questioned then was real nervous. He knew darn well he was out of compliance. pretend ignorance of the law
Post Sun Jan 29, 2006 3:04 am 
rapunzel

Jerry,

I have all business licenses applicants on eastside. Says it is a renewal but not checked as approved. name Zubin Anita comes back clear on registry. Know he lives out of area. funny though on checking taxes has two parcel no# one is paid taxes for 2005 other parcel shows delinquent for over 6000.

3312 Richfield rd. one is LLC, other delinquent is A&Z. HMMM
Post Sun Jan 29, 2006 3:38 am 
rapunzel

Sorry, 2005 taxes not delinquent until march? $6800.
Post Sun Jan 29, 2006 4:06 am 

Jump to:  

Last Topic | Next Topic  >

Forum Rules: