FAQFAQ   SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlistRegisterRegister  ProfileProfile   Log in[ Log in ]  Flint Talk RSSFlint Talk RSS

»Home »Open Chat »Political Talk  Â»Flint Journal »Political Jokes »The Bob Leonard Show  

Flint Michigan online news magazine. We have lively web forums

FlintTalk.com Forum Index > Political Talk

Topic: Drew Shapiro running for state rep Joe Graves seat

Author    Post Post new topic Reply to topic
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

Was it hubris that drove Drew Shapiro to announce a bid to replace term limited State representative Joe Graves in the 51st district, when he had less than a year as a 6th district Genesee County Commissioner. This announcement came as Shapiro was embroiled in a series of erratic behavior issues, one of which resulted in midemeanor criminal charges.

Shapiro purports to be a small business owner with a successful background in financial investment and insurance. He serve on the local school board and followed in his mother's path of performing community volunteer work and mentoring.

His detractors allege he was a privileged youth with a substance abuse problem and cite instances of public drunk behavior on m-live.
Post Thu Feb 01, 2018 2:15 pm 
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

Shapiro won his commission race by unseating incumbent Tony Brown in the primary and Democrat Pete Ponzetti in the general election. He was sworn in on January 3, 2017 and named the Chair of the Finance Committee. His district covers Argentine, Fenton, Grand Blanc and Mundy. He campaigned on improving transparency, communications and constituent services.

On Marh 13, 2017, the Chair of the Genesee County Commission, Mark Young along with other commissioners, became concerned about Shapiro's behavior and suspected him of being drunk. Undersheriff Chris Swanson often represents the Sheriff Department at committee meetings and is a licensed paramedic . Young asked Swanson to evaluate Shapiro. Swanson never publicly stated the result of his evaluation but he later drove Shapiro home. As a Law Enforcement Officer, Swanson could not let Shapiro rive in an impaired state. Shapiro later stated he had mied up his prescriptions and that accounted for his "loopy" behavior.
Post Thu Feb 01, 2018 2:30 pm 
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

One surprising element in the Flint Journal story is the comment that Sheriff Pickell, who was not in attendance at the meeting, wanted the tapes from the county parking garage. Pickell stated he would recuse himself and he would ask the Michigan State Police or the Flint Police to investigate. But what would they investigate? There were no reported breathalyzer tests nor any alcohol blood level tests.

In addition, I was informed the Sheriff Department had delivered a request to the Genesee County Clerk's office regarding taking away the gun permit of Shapiro prior to the meeting. There is more to this story than being told.

Some assert that it was love lost that led to a number of bitter encounters between Shapiro and the new paramour, of his ex-fiancee, John Zerka. The event that led to criminal charges occurred at 8 a.m. May 27th aon Silver Lake in Fenton Township. It was the that a drunken Shapiro and an equally drunk friend took a black Remington Pontoon and started hurling insults at Zerkas' home and waking up the neighbors.
Post Thu Feb 01, 2018 2:45 pm 
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

One female neighbor of Zerka ran out as Shapiro nearly hit her boat when leaving. Shapiro then got the pontoon stuck on one of the two sandbars in the lake. He was gone when th police arrived at 9:16 a.m..The police statement was said to include how Shapiro drove a 4 wheeler over the lawn of the parents of his ex-fiance.

Complaints were filed and the case was sent to the township attorney Jack Belzer after Genesee County Prosecutor sid the charges did not rise to the level of a felony. The Sheriff Department then sore out thre warrants in the 67th District Court of Judge David Goggins. The misdemeanor charges reckless operation of a vehicle, indecent language and disorderly, each carried a possible sentence of 90 days and a $500 fine. Shapiro s said to have hurled the words F**k You Arab at Zerka.

Shapiro responded to the charges, that he had always heard that Genesee County politics were dirty and he was experiencing it first hand. But actions have consequences.
Post Thu Feb 01, 2018 3:01 pm 
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

County commissioners vote on the budgets of the courts so most of the 67th District Court judges recused themselves. The job fell to Judge Vicki Bayeh Hayley . In a plea deal, Shapiro pled guilty to a single count of indecent language, and given i delayed sentence. After 11 months of probation on terms established by Odyssey House, the case ould be dismissed in next November. The Judge appeared to view Shapiro as someone deeply hurt who used poor judgement. "Love Hurts!

While the Silver Lake incident makes Shapiro look really bad, I haven't heard of any more incidents. Shapiro really appears to e working hard on his state representative bid.His ability to onnet with the voterswill be a determining factor. His website features the motto "The Qualified Candidate" and has a shot of him sitting at a desk with a photo of Reagan ehind him. He is attending many Republican events.
Post Thu Feb 01, 2018 3:45 pm 
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

Rumors are that he has been targeted by some Democrats, some UAW, and evens some in the Republican party who want to take him down. After the large amount of "dark money" that showed up in the the Flint elections last October and November, he needs to be able to counter any attacks launched against him as tales have a tendency to grow.

THIS WILL BE A RACE TO WATCH.
Post Thu Feb 01, 2018 3:49 pm 
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

The 51st district boundaries were redrawn to drop Mundy and Grand Blanc. It includes the townships of Flushing, Clayton, Gaines,and Fenton. It also contains Oak Grove Township in Oakland County.
Post Sat Feb 03, 2018 1:09 pm 
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

Drew Shapiro is right on this decision

Genesee County to spend $50K from veterans millage on PGA Tour sponsorship
Updated Apr 2, 1:53 PM; Posted Apr 2, 1:25 PM
Gallery: Grand Blanc's Warwick Hills Golf Club announces new PGA Tour event

By Dominic Adams dadams5@mlive.com
FLINT, MI -- Genesee County veterans will be able to get into a 2018 PGA Tour Champions event for free when the Ally Challenge comes to Grand Blanc Township's Warwick Hills Golf and Country Club later this year.

The Genesee County Board of Commissioners on Monday, April 2, approved spending $50,000 of the countywide veterans millage to sponsor the Ally Challenge.

The measure will sponsor a "Patriot Pavilion" at the 18th fairway for all active duty, reserve military, military retirees, veterans and their dependents, according to board documents.

Champions Tour event coming to Michigan's Warwick Hills for at least 3 years
Champions Tour event coming to Michigan's Warwick Hills for at least 3 years

The $2 million Ally Challenge will be played for the first time Sept. 10-16, 2018 at the former home of the Buick Open.

Josh Freeman, the coordinator for the Genesee County Board of Commissioners, said county veterans will receive free admission to the week's golf events, which has a $95 value.

Veterans will also receive entry to the Big & Rich concert taking place during the event, according to the partnership proposal presented to the board.

"The challenge has been reaching out to younger veterans who may need the services that we offer," said Freeman. "We're thinking outside of the box."

During the event Sept. 10-16 event, Freeman said Genesee County officials will chat with veterans to discuss services available to them.

Freeman said there are about 25,000 veterans in Genesee County.

"The commissioners were hopeful that we could reach a different demographic then we have been reaching," Freeman said.

The measure was approved by a 7-1 vote with Commissioner Drew Shapiro, R-Fenton Township, casting the dissenting vote.

Shapiro said he supports the PGA Tour Champions event coming to Genesee County, but he did not think this is how veterans millage money should be used.

"I don't feel that it is the role of government to use millage funds to sponsor this type of event," he said, adding that he went back and read the ballot language for the millage. "It was very clear that these funds would be used to help impoverished veterans."

Genesee County maps course for new veterans millage

Expenses like burial costs for a destitute veteran is an example of something Shapiro felt the millage was meant to cover.

Shapiro said if the money came from Genesee County's general fund, he might have voted differently.

"I think the spirit of this was to provide real help to veterans, not provide tickets to a golf event and free hamburgers and hotdogs," he said. "It's just a little out of bounds in my opinion. I just think it's a poor use of taxpayer money especially from a millage."

Voters approved the 0.1-mill, 10-year property tax in 2012 by a margin of 109,733 to 74,783.

The $2-million Ally Challenge will be part of the 2018 PGA Tour Champions and is for players 50 and over. Competitors include several former Buick Open champions.

The Buick Open ended its long tenure here following the 2009 tournament.
Post Tue Apr 03, 2018 7:12 am 
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

FLINT NEWS
Genesee County won't spend $50k of veterans millage on PGA Tour tournament
Updated Apr 9; Posted Apr 9

shares
By Jake May jmay2@mlive.com
FLINT, MI - The Genesee County Board of Commissioners reversed course Monday, April 9, by deciding not to spend $50,000 of veteran millage money to sponsor a PGA Tour event.

Commissioners voted 9-0 to withdraw from an agreement with the Ally Challenge golf tournament and instead use the funds to work with veterans services to create an outreach plan.

The decision was made as dozens of veterans attended the meeting to speak against the sponsorship.

Flint resident George F. Grundy II, who served as a Marine in Afghanistan, said solutions need to be found to affect the lives of veterans throughout the community and the $50,000 could be spent better.

"Being in a situation where you've been denied services by people that have never served or don't understand what sacrifice truly is, is very upsetting and disappointing," Grundy said. "In this situation, we take control and don't allow these funds to be misused and make sure the people are heard."

For more than an hour, veterans stood at the microphone to state that the funds needed to be given back toward services to enrich and protect the lives of veterans, citing mental illness, homelessness and suicide as issues veterans face that need funding.

While most showed their support to change the vote, not every veteran at the meeting was against the decision.

Ron Smith, a retired master sergeant in the U.S. Army, applauded the board's April 2 vote as an "innovative approach to veteran's outreach."

Smith said any possible avenue that will allow individuals to be informed of services for veterans is an avenue to explore.

"Unfortunately, any time tax money is spent on anything, a debate is bound to happen, and many times the end results become blurred and confused," Smith said. "The stated purpose of the millage is to support our veterans. ... Among the thousands of people who will attend the golf outing that weekend, there will be a number of veterans from all eras of service. This can help."

Initially, the board voted earlier in April to spend $50,000 of the countywide veterans millage to sponsor the Ally Challenge, which would allow free access for veterans and sponsor the "Patriot Pavilion" at the 18th fairway for all active duty, reserve military, military retirees, veterans and their dependents.

Commissioners, who initially voted 7-1 for the deal, billed it as a way to reach out to veterans about services in the area.

Genesee County veterans will be able to get into a 2018 PGA Tour Champions event for free when the Ally Challenge comes to Grand Blanc Township's Warwick Hills Golf and Country Club later this year.

Commissioner Drew Shapiro, who was the only commissioner to initially vote against the deal and collected 500 signatures in the last week, made a motion Monday to withdraw from the agreement, which was seconded by Martin Cousineau.

While a 9-0 vote was ultimately reached, Commissioners Bryant Nolden and Brenda Clack at first voted against the switch and Ted Henry asked to pass before committing his vote.

Commissioners stated their thoughts before the vote and were hard to hear through eruptions from the crowd who disagreed.

"It was a very, very difficult vote for me. But I'll tell you, most veterans are afraid to come forth and even ask for help," Henry said of the April 2 vote. "I've prodded and prodded and prodded veterans to come to veterans' offices and file a claim, and they won't do it. ... I don't know the answer. Maybe this isn't the answer, but it's not working the way it is now either, guys."

Commissioner Ellen Ellenburg originally voted to use the funds on the PGA Tour event, but after hearing concerns today, she was moved to change her mind.

"I feel that this money is something that can be better used, and if it's needed for (veterans), I don't want to hurt anybody," Ellenburg said. "I just want the services that you all deserve to be there for you, and to reach out to you. ... I feel passion for you. We thought this was a good idea. You have voiced your opinion that it is not, and I am with you."

The county's sponsorship would have allowed veterans into the Ally Challenge when it comes to Grand Blanc Township's Warwick Hills Golf and Country Club Sept. 10-16.

Veterans would have also received entry to the Big & Rich concert taking place during the event, according to the partnership proposal presented to the board.
Post Thu Apr 12, 2018 10:22 am 
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

Comments applaud Shapiro as they condemn the rest of the Board of Commissioners.
Post Thu Apr 12, 2018 10:24 am 
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

April 10, 2018

​​​​​​Burton City Council president blasts Commissioner Ellenburg

BURTON (CCN) — Commissioner Ellen Ellenburg of Burton was blasted Tuesday by Burton City Council President Steven Heffner for her comments critical of a fellow commissioner who got strong support from veterans at Monday's meeting for the Genesee County Board of Commissioners.

Heffner will appear on Wednesday's Morning Gazette Radio Show on CCN Radio. You can listen live from 8 am until 9:30 am or you can listen to the replay at 10 am

Commissioner Ellenburg, who represents all of Burton and parts of Flint and Genesee Township, directed her criticisms at Commissioner Drew Shapiro of Fenton during an interview with veteran reporter Joel Feick of WEYI TV 25. Her comments to Feick came shortly after joining a 9-0 vote Monday morning to rescind $50,000 of taxpayer money for an advertising sponsorship to support a PGA Tour event at Warwick Hills in Grand Blanc. The reversal came after veterans packed the county board auditorium to demand that commissioners not take the $50,000 in funding from a county-wide millage passed by residents to support services for veterans.

Ellenburg told TV-25 about Commissioner Shapiro: "Don't use your veterans for political gain. That's the way I look at it. I'm appalled and I'm not a veteran."

Burton's council president responded with a public comment on his personal Facebook page, saying, "Well Mr. Ellenburg, you voted for this! I am a veteran and I say 'Thank You Drew Shapiro' for standing up for the veterans. The County Commissioners who voted with you Ms, Ellenburg, to waste $50.000, should be ashamed."

Genesee County Clerk / Register of Deeds John Gleason and state representative candidate Ryan Lo'Ree will also be guests on Wednesday's Morning Gazette Radio Show to talk about the reversal by county commissioners on spending money from the veterans millage fund
Post Fri Apr 13, 2018 10:28 am 
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

Genesee County commissioner describes scary scene of I-75 motorcycle crash
By Ann Pierret | Posted: Thu 6:19 PM, Jun 28, 2018 | Updated: Thu 7:33 PM, Jun 28, 2018

FLINT TOWNSHIP (WJRT) (6/28/2018) - Genesee County Commissioner Drew Shapiro was in the right place at the right time when a motorcycle and vehicle collided on I-75 in Flint Township.

He was one of several drivers to stop and help the injured 63-year-old motorcyclist.

The crash happened around 12:30 p.m. Thursday in the northbound lanes of I-75 just north of the Beecher Road interchange. Traffic was shut down to just one lane for about an hour.

Shapiro was on his way to a meeting when he witnessed the crash. He hopped out of his car and administered first aid to the 63-year-old man who had fallen off his motorcycle.

"Still a little shook up, but I always carry a medical kit in my car," he said. "Saw the man bleeding on the pavement and hopped out and tried to stop the blood from his head and keep his neck stabilized till the paramedics got there."

Shapiro said he always carry that medical kit in his vehicle and rarely has to use it, but he's grateful it came in handy Thursday.

The 63-year-old motorcyclist is expected to be OK. No word on if he was wearing a helmet or on what caused the crash.

Shapiro said he was going the speed limit just minutes before he saw debris flying in the air in front of him. He said several people stopped to help stabilize the injured man.

"There were definitely some other Good Samaritans who stopped and helped out today. You can always be in that position and if I was there, I would hope somebody would stop and help me too," he said.

Flint Township police are still investigating the crash. At this point, officers don't believe alcohol or speed were a factor.
Post Fri Jun 29, 2018 12:52 pm 

Jump to:  

Last Topic | Next Topic  >

Forum Rules: