FAQFAQ   SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlistRegisterRegister  ProfileProfile   Log in[ Log in ]  Flint Talk RSSFlint Talk RSS

»Home »Open Chat »Political Talk  Â»Flint Journal »Political Jokes »The Bob Leonard Show  

Flint Michigan online news magazine. We have lively web forums

FlintTalk.com Forum Index > Political Talk

Topic: Flint City Attorney Oakes Gone!

Author    Post Post new topic Reply to topic
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

Flint parts ways with city attorney Stacy Erwin Oakes

Jiquanda Johnson | jjohns16@mlive.com By Jiquanda Johnson | jjohns16@mlive.com

on January 03, 2017 at 6:57 PM, updated January 03, 2017 at 11:40 PM

FLINT, MI -- The City of Flint has "parted ways" with City Attorney Stacy Erwin Oakes, according to a statement issued by Mayor Karen Weaver's office.

The Tuesday, Jan. 3, statement issued by city spokeswoman Kristin Moore said Oakes was no longer employed as the city attorney. However, Weaver's administration refused to comment further on the separation.

"I can attest to the fact that Mrs. Oakes is no longer employed by the City of Flint," the statement said. "Furthermore, I do not discuss personnel matters publicly."

City officials with knowledge of the situation said Erwin Oakes was fired from the position.

Erwin Oakes could not be reached for comment.

Weaver named Erwin Oakes as city attorney in March 2016. At that time, she praised Erwin Oakes for her abilities.

"Stacy is held in high regard by the legal community," Weaver said in a March 2016 statement. "She is a proven consumer protection advocate, and brings with her extensive knowledge of the legislative process and municipal government."

Weaver went on to say Erwin Oakes was qualified for the position and she understood the needs of the community.

At that time, Erwin Oakes said she was up to the challenge of working on the various issues facing Flint.

It is unclear why she was fired or who her replacement be.

Erwin Oakes earned a degree from the Michigan State University College of Law while working for the Michigan Department of Civil Rights, the City of Flint said in announcing her hire. She was later appointed to the Michigan Attorney General's Office where she worked as an assistant attorney general.

In 2010, Oakes became the first woman elected as a state representative in the state's 95th district where she served two terms, according to the release.

The city attorney position had been vacant for about three months after Peter Bade resigned. Bade accepted a position in the Office of General Counsel at Hurley Medical Center. He served his last day as city attorney was Jan. 1, 2016.

The city attorney position has previously drawn some criticism against the Weaver administration.

Flint paid $56K to silence ex-city lawyer's claims against mayor

Flint paid $56K to silence ex-city lawyer's claims against mayor

City records show Flint officials agreed to pay $56,000 to keep a former city attorney from going public with claims of racial discrimination against Mayor Karen Weaver.

Documents obtained July 12 by MLive-The Flint Journal through the Freedom of Information Act showed the city agreed to pay former Interim City Attorney Anthony Chubb $56,000 for his promise not to sue the city over claims of racial discrimination.

Chubb served in the interim capacity after Bade's resignation. He was made deputy chief legal officer when Erwin Oakes filled the city attorney position.

The day prior to Erwin Oakes starting with the city, city records showed Chubb emailed Weaver, then-Chief Financial Officer Jody Lundquist, Erwin Oakes and an attorney contracted by the city and threatened to file a lawsuit against the city over his demotion.

"As I set forth in our previous conversation, it is clear that I am more qualified to serve as the Chief Legal Officer than your appointment," Chubb wrote to Weaver. "Whether your determination is a result of my allegation that you are violating City ordinances, or the simple fact that I am not consistent with the racial composition of your new leadership team, this is unjust and illegal."

Moore previously denied race played a factor in the decision not to appoint Chubb to the city's top legal post.
Post Wed Jan 04, 2017 7:26 am 
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

From M-Live
alexharris
2 hours ago

Interesting thing happened earlier tonight with a media person texting me with news they're saying came from the Weaver crowd. Claimed they fired Oakes because she conspired with the illustrious First Ward Councilman Eric Mays in defrauding taxpayers of $4,500 without telling another sole * Let's see, the 3 checks to Mays were dated Sept.9 '16 and Weaver is so outraged by this fraud some 4 months later that she whacks the City Attorney now ! Talk about throwing someone under the bus. AS I POSTED PREVIOUSLY, YOU GOTTA BE PRETTY DENSE TO THINK OAKES HAD THE SINGULAR AUTHORITY TO PAY MAYS' $654.47 DELINQUENT WATER BILL, HIS $534.02 PROPERTY TAX BILL, AND THE EXTRA $3,311.51 IN CASH WITHOUT THE TACIT APPROVAL & DIRECTION OF WEAVER OR HER PUPPET-MASTERS. * Ironically, this Mays payout was one of the two clear & factual points rejected at my Recall Hearing before the triumvirate of the deaf, dumb, and blind --- aka ; Barkey, Gleason & Cherry. This despite my having copies of each of the Mays' checks & the ledger of disbursement from the city of Flint. Just goes to show you, when it comes to Judge Barkey & her Kangaroo Court ---- if a tree falls in the forest & nobody hears it, where the he$$ is the proof of a tree or a forest. Only in the Twilight Zone my friends ! A.H.
Post Thu Jan 05, 2017 6:55 am 

Jump to:  

Last Topic | Next Topic  >

Forum Rules: