FAQFAQ   SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlistRegisterRegister  ProfileProfile   Log in[ Log in ]  Flint Talk RSSFlint Talk RSS

»Home »Open Chat »Political Talk  Â»Flint Journal »Political Jokes »The Bob Leonard Show  

Flint Michigan online news magazine. We have lively web forums

FlintTalk.com Forum Index > Political Talk

Topic: Troubled party store location may be padlocked
Goto page 1, 2  Next
  Author    Post Post new topic Reply to topic
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

Prosecutors taking close look at Flint liquor store after rash of violence

Flint resident Keith Jackson, 23, paces in front of a wall as he tries to come to terms with his brother's death while relighting candles and admiring memorial graffiti tagged alongside an entire wall of Liquor Plus Mini Mart on Monday, Aug. 8, 2016 at the corner of Martin Luther King Avenue and Dayton Street in memory of Corandis Jenkins, who was shot and killed Friday, Aug. 5 in the parking lot of store. There have been three shootings in less than two weeks at the liquor store. Jackson described his brother as energetic and spontaneous -- someone everybody loved. "I'm hurt. It wasn't his time to go," Jackson said. "But we are going to keep his memory alive. He ain't gone. He's still here with us in spirit. ... He's smooth as peanut butter. Hell, that was his nickname. He was a protector for his friends and family. My brother was always there for me and would step in if there was ever trouble. These people who shot him -- they took an angel." Store owner Lucky Chahal said when he rebuilt Liquor Plus Mini Mart after a fire in 2015 he gave the neighborhood one of the nicest stores on Flint's north side. "We didn't have any problems until just now," Chahal said. "I don't know what's going on in the neighborhood and why I'm getting blamed for all this. Jake May | MLive.com
Jake May | jmay2@mlive.com
Print Email Dominic Adams | dadams5@mlive.com By Dominic Adams | dadams5@mlive.com

on August 08, 2016 at 4:30 PM, updated August 11, 2016 at 8:47 AM
FLINT, MI – A liquor store on the city's north side has racked up nearly 50 calls to 911 over the past year, including a shooting that left one man dead Friday, Aug. 5.

The rash of violence around Liquor Plus Mini Mart at 2407 Martin Luther King Ave. now has Genesee County Prosecutor David Leyton combing through police reports to decide if he will try to have the store padlocked under the state's public nuisance law.

"We're on top of it, but it takes some time," Leyton said.

Store owner Lucky Chahal said when he rebuilt Liquor Plus Mini Mart after a fire last year he gave the neighborhood one of the nicest stores on Flint's north side.

"We didn't have any problems until just now," Chahal said. "I don't know what's going on in the neighborhood and why I'm getting blamed for all this.

"A customer walks in, walks out and shooters start shooting at them. This is bad for business. I don't want this. People get scared. That's bad for business. All I can do is call police."

But at least one neighbor says the situation was better when the store was closed for nine months.

"I wish they never would've reopened the store because I knew there was going to be violence," said Allen Magee, who lives a block away.

There have been three shootings outside the store since July 29 that include the death of 27-year-old Corandis Jenkins, a teenager shot at a vigil for Jenkins and a 10-year-old who was shot inside a vehicle last month.

The shootings took place on Friday and Saturday.

"All that violence is coming from that store being open 24 hours," Magee said, adding he's concerned for his own safety. "Them bullets don't got names on 'em."

Flint police said in the last year there have been 48 calls for service to the store because of disorderly people to fights and shootings.

The calls included:

23 for disorderly person
5 911 hang ups
4 miscellaneous
3 suspicious persons
2 larcenies
2 person with a gun
2 fights
2 unknown trouble
1 each for fraud, welfare check, shots fired, noise, shooting

The Flint Journal could not reach police Chief Tim Johnson for comment on Monday, Aug. 8.

Chahal said he began closing his store at 2 a.m. because of violence just before the fire that destroyed the store in January 2015.

The blaze occurred four months after a shooting in the parking lot of the liquor store injured five.

One person is in custody after five people were shot outside a Flint party store early Thursday morning, Sept. 4, according to Lt. Brian Cole with the Michigan State Police.

Chery Bowman wishes the store would close.

She said she called 911 after hearing the gunshots during the vigil just before 10 p.m. on Friday, Aug. 5.

"I woke up out of a sleep – I thought a war was going on," Bowman said. "Whoever was shooting unloaded they gun. I'm like 'do I lay on the ground?' And I'm upstairs."

Bowman rarely goes to the store which is adjacent to her home because when she does she is always asked to buy drugs from people hanging around in the parking lot.

"When it burned down I was like 'Lord have mercy. I pray they don't put it back up,'" she said. "They put it back up and it's been a headache ever since."

Flint's convenience store ordinance says loiterers in store parking lots constitute a serious and widespread threat to the health, safety and welfare of the general public and have caused an increase in crime, particularly drug activity.

"Citizens have expressed that they fear and are intimidated by the subjects that loiter at these stores," the ordinance says.

Store owners can sign an affidavit, authorizing police to remove or arrest loiterers, including customers who do not leave store property "directly after completing a purchase," according to the ordinance.

The Flint Police Department's "Safe Business Partner" program is still in effect, according to Capt. Leigh Golden. The Liquor Plus Mini Mart is currently not a participating business, police said.

Chahal said he'd welcome police to come remove people hanging out in the parking lot.

"I would love to if (police) want to come up and pick people up who are loitering that way we wouldn't have problems like this. I would get more business. People would be more safe," he said. "I just rebuilt it. I think this is the nicest store on the north end. I want people to be safe and shop and go home."

Leyton has used the state's public nuisance law to padlock medical marijuana dispensaries in April and also has used it on other businesses.

Prosecutors are seeking to padlock two more Genesee County medical marijuana dispensaries following investigations by the Flint Area Narcotics Group.

ic23b 5 days ago
Oh yes lets blame the business instead of the thugs that hang out in the parking lot and refuse to leave when the owners and employees tell them to leave. When these non-patrons refuse to leave and the police are to busy and understaffed to assist e owners in making them leave what are the owners supposed to do. Leyton and his political posturing solutions that only hurts honest patrons. Blame everyone and everything except the thugs that are responsible.
Post Sat Aug 13, 2016 7:36 pm 
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

When this location was the King Party Store, it was the focus of a statewide food stamp ring hat had international links. On March 2, 1995, the Grand Blanc home of Bashir Abro, said to be Palestinian, was raided by multiple federal agencies including the FBI, ATF and the Secret service. The investigation involved drug activities,food stamp fraud and money laundering.

Other arrests included 12 other men, many who were alleged to be Palestinian nationals. Besides Flint, arrests took place in West Bloomfield Township, Madison Heights, Detroit and Oak Park. Some of the arrests involved owners of party stores in Mt. Morris and Detroit.

Abro and his wife were charged with possession and receiving stolen property as well as other federal charges. Those arrested were charged with 116 counts of drug sales, food stamp fraud, and money laundering. There were plea deals on some charges. As part of the plea bargaining, the store was said to be forfeited to to the government and was sold.

Part of the investigation was said to involve the funneling of money to the Mid-East. Allegedly food stamps were used to buy drugs from Abro and store employees. The food stamps were then processed at discounted face value through other stores so as not to be linked to Abro. One suc store was the Circle K Supermarket, on N. Saginaw Street in Mt Morris. When they were turned in for reimbursement, it was for the full face value of the stamps.
Post Sat Aug 13, 2016 8:04 pm 
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

It was widely believed a federal sting operation continues for some time at the King Party Store. According to the state Liquor Control Commission, th liquor license for the store was by stipulation transferred to the Department of Treasury and the Secret Service. Other signs of a sting were the store was only open part of the week- (possibly one day undercover and one day writing reports and identifying suspects) as well as selling very little liquor The official federal story was the store was being run by a management group..

After that a Michigan Administrative Judge though a petition of the Liquor Control Commission revoked the Party Store license. The official reason for the forfeiture was that Bashir Abro had an undisclosed conviction in Oakland County two years prior for a gun possession.
Post Sat Aug 13, 2016 8:50 pm 
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

Then Prosecutor Art Busch along with US Attorney Saul Green announced in October of 1995 here was a sting operation at the store for fraud involving the Women-Infant-Children (WIC) program that had involved over 118 individuals.
The press conference only addressed the WIC issue.

Flint police Chief Clydell Duncan and NW Community rim Watch President Moses Rutland attended the press conference.

The store closed for three days t prepare for the sting. The agents were liied to how muh in coupons they would buy and asked for identification, In store surveillance cameras recorded the 210 transactions and any alcohol purchases made with the money from the sales. The $8,500 in sales were made mostly by mothers some with their children present.

Other allegations were that drug dealers sought permission to sell in he store and sometime had to pay a charge to the store to do so. Also guns were sold in the store.
Post Sat Aug 13, 2016 9:08 pm 
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

A Flint Journal story "food Stamp Probe Widens" by Tim Doran (3-31-9500) quoted Robert Haviland ,assistant U.S. Attorney in charge of Flint, as saying this was the largest case of it's kind prosecuted in this county.

Charges in the case included food stamp fraud, conspiracy to defraud the United States government, and conspiracy to launder money.

The government presented a case where they alleged the store was a "one stop shopping ' center trading food stamps for cash and crack cocaine inside the store. according to the informants, crack was stashed in the animal crackers, the produce section and other locales for the drug dealers to make their sales. Store employees provided implements to slice the crack and pipes for smoking.

Between December 1993 and March 1994 agents observed 54 of 62 deliveries of food stamps to Circle K market in Mt Morris. Detroit area stores received the rest. About $170,000 in food stamps were laundered during this time.
Post Sun Aug 14, 2016 6:52 pm 
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

Besides confiscation of both stores, the government sought to confiscate $2.1 million from the store owners. Bashir Abro was one owner of King Avenue Party Store and Bahir Bahoora and his wife Adel Bahoora of West Bloomfield Township were the co-owners of Circle K.

Genesee County Prosecutor Arthur A. Busch had initiated a padlocking case in Circuit Court against the King Avenue Party Store. The federal took priority. The community had flooded the Prosecutors office with complaints on drug dealing.

Flint Police assisted in making drug buys in the federal investigation. Informants sold food stamps for crack cocaine and a 22 pistol during the investigation.
Post Sun Aug 14, 2016 7:16 pm 
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

You have to wonder why a party store would continue to stay in a location with so much gang activity. This area has been notorious for many years for it's rampant gang activity. How can a new owner expect to survive in a location with the history of the King Party Store? How many of the locals buy food and other necessities there? The neighborhood continues to decline and the drug dealers continue to want to sell their drugs openly in the area.

This area has been hit with gangster disciple signs for many years. The RIP memorials appear to also have GD symbols within them.

Actually, I miss the beautiful RIP memorial mural that was once painted on the wall. It paid tribute to local community leaders as well as local gangsters. It was a work of art and no one defaced it.
Post Mon Aug 15, 2016 10:26 am 
angelinareese
F L I N T O I D

Flint's convenience store ordinance says loiterers in store parking lots constitute a serious and widespread threat to the health, safety and welfare of the general public and have caused an increase in crime, particularly drug activity.

Post Wed Aug 17, 2016 7:46 am 
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website  Reply with quote  
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

Operator of padlocked liquor store facing food stamp, wire fraud charges

Flint police officers padlock Liquor Plus Mini Mart after a temporary restraining order was granted by Genesee Circuit Judge Judith Fullerton against the business and its owner on Tuesday, Aug. 23, 2016 in Flint's north side. Three shootings have occurred outside the Liquor Plus Mini Mart since July 29, including the death of 27-year-old Corandis Jenkins, a teenager shot at a vigil for Jenkins and a 10-year-old who was shot inside a vehicle. The restraining order is valid for seven days, in which time Genesee County Prosecutor David Leyton will try to have the business closed for an extended period of time. Tegan Johnston | MLive.com
Tegan Johnston | tjohnsto@mlive.com
Print Email Gary Ridley | gridley@mlive.com By Gary Ridley | gridley@mlive.com
Follow on Twitter
on August 24, 2016 at 10:26 AM, updated August 24, 2016 at 11:27 AM
FLINT, MI – The operator of a Flint liquor store padlocked after a spate of violence is in federal custody on accusations of food stamp and wire fraud.

Federal prosecutors unsealed a criminal complaint Tuesday, Aug. 23, against Lakhbir "Lucky" Chalal after Chalal allegedly implemented a scheme to conduct food stamp fraud by purchasing benefits from customers of the two stores he operates, Liquor Plus Mini Mart and Paradise House of Liquor, in exchange for cash and ineligible items.

Authorities also claim Chalal illegally used food stamp benefits to purchase stock for the stores, which they say are owned by his wife.

The complaint was unsealed the same day Genesee County Prosecutor David Leyton was granted a temporary restraining order to padlock the business under the state's nuisance law.

The move came after Genesee County Prosecutor David Leyton was granted a temporary restraining order Tuesday, Aug. 23 by Genesee Circuit Judge Judith Fullerton after a civil lawsuit was filed against the business and its owner.

Chalal has no attorney on file. Federal prosecutors are asking for him to be held in custody as a potential flight risk.

Special agents from the United States Department of Agriculture began using undercover police officers and confidential informants in July 2014 to investigate potential fraud at the two stores.

Chalal and employees of the stores on multiple occasions would provide undercover officers and informants cash in exchange for food stamp benefits. The cash payouts were often roughly 50 percent of the amount of benefits taken from investigators, according to an affidavit filed with the complaint.

Authorities also allege Chalal and the store's employees would purchase food stamp cards for later use at other stores, where he would then purchase food and drinks for sale at the liquor stores.

More than 100 food stamp cards were identified as being used by Chahal and his associates at one store alone, authorities allege.

"When it burned down I was like 'Lord have mercy. I pray they don't put it back up,'" said Chery Bowman. "They put it back up and it's been a headache every since."

Investigators claim records show Chalal's two stores were redeeming roughly $30,000 per month total in food stamp benefits since 2010. Convenience stores in Flint average only $3,500 in monthly food stamp redemptions, according to the affidavit.

Flint police padlocked Liquor Plus on Tuesday after three shootings have taken place outside the store since July 29, including the death of 27-year-old Corandis Jenkins, a teenager shot at a vigil for Jenkins and a 10-year-old who was shot inside a vehicle in July.

"This city belongs to the citizens, not to the criminals, not to the people who want to come in here and break the law," said Flint Police Chief Tim Johnson, who led the padlocking effort on Tuesday. "We're going to make this city an extremely unpleasant place for criminals to thrive and that's exactly going to be the outcome."

State law allows officials to padlock a property for up to a year over complaints of violence.

However, earlier this month, Chalal challenged the claims his store was contributing to violence in the neighborhood.

Chahal said when he rebuilt Liquor Plus Mini Mart after a fire last year he gave the neighborhood one of the nicest stores on Flint's north side.

"We didn't have any problems until just now," Chahal said. "I don't know what's going on in the neighborhood and why I'm getting blamed for all this.

"A customer walks in, walks out and shooters start shooting at them. This is bad for business. I don't want this. People get scared. That's bad for business. All I can do is call police."

A detention hearing is scheduled for Wednesday.
Post Wed Aug 24, 2016 10:50 am 
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

History repeats itself! This is what the neighborhood should watch out for beyond the owners selling loosies!

Last edited by untanglingwebs on Wed Aug 31, 2016 11:23 pm; edited 1 time in total
Post Wed Aug 24, 2016 10:53 am 
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

Liquor store padlocked on Flint's north side after shootings

Flint police officers padlock Liquor Plus Mini Mart after a temporary restraining order was granted by Genesee Circuit Judge Judith Fullerton against the business and its owner on Tuesday, Aug. 23, 2016 in Flint's north side. Three shootings have occurred outside the Liquor Plus Mini Mart since July 29, including the death of 27-year-old Corandis Jenkins, a teenager shot at a vigil for Jenkins and a 10-year-old who was shot inside a vehicle. The restraining order is valid for seven days, in which time Genesee County Prosecutor David Leyton will try to have the business closed for an extended period of time. Tegan Johnston | MLive.com
Tegan Johnston | tjohnsto@mlive.com
Print Email
Roberto Acosta | racosta1@mlive.com By Roberto Acosta | racosta1@mlive.com

on August 23, 2016 at 9:45 PM, updated August 24, 2016 at 11:29 AM
store.jpgFlint police padlock Liquor Plus Mini Mart Tuesday, Aug. 23, 2016 after a restraining order was granted by Genesee Circuit Judge Judith Fullerton following a request by county prosecutor David Leyton after a rash of shootings at the north side business. Roberto Acosta | MLive.com

FLINT, MI -- Several Flint police officers rolled into the parking lot of Liquor Plus Mini Mart on Flint's north side Tuesday evening to close the business.

The move came after Genesee County Prosecutor David Leyton was granted a temporary restraining order Tuesday, Aug. 23 by Genesee Circuit Judge Judith Fullerton after a civil lawsuit was filed against the business and its owner.

Flint police Chief Tim Johnson led the charge to the store down Saginaw Street, flanked by a tactical unit Humvee, K9 and the department's Crime Area Target Team.

The operator of a Flint liquor store padlocked after a spate of violence is in federal custody on accusations of food stamp and wire fraud.

"This city belongs to the citizens, not to the criminals, not to the people who want to come in here and break the law," said Johnson. "We're going to make this city an extremely unpleasant place for criminals to thrive and that's exactly going to be the outcome."

Acts of violence and underage drinking are among some of the incidents that have taken place to lead to the lawsuit by Leyton's office after discussions with Johnson.

"In my estimation, it's a public nuisance, it's contributing to problems in the neighborhood," he said.

Three shootings have taken place outside the Liquor Plus Mini Mart since July 29, including the death of 27-year-old Corandis Jenkins, a teenager shot at a vigil for Jenkins and a 10-year-old who was shot inside a vehicle in July.

"She just started school today and it's kind of messed up how her weekend got started before her first day going back to school," Calender said. "She's already going to miss a day because she has to attend a funeral."

The restraining order is valid for seven days. Leyton expects the case to be back in court next week when his office will push forward to have the business closed for up to a year.

"I've done a number of these (public nuisance cases) and I'm going to continue to do them," he said.

The Uptown Sports Bar and Grill on Flint's east side was padlocked in May, after complaints and 9-1-1 calls to the business on Robert T. Longway Boulevard, while Hometown Inn in Flint Township was closed for several months due to excessive crime.

Law enforcement officials padlocked the downtown-area business after a number of complaints and 9-1-1 calls, according to a May 13 press release issued by Genesee County Prosecutor David Leyton's office.

Whether it's a business or any other type of structure, Leyton said "we will not hesitate to file suit in circuit court" when issues are being created for residents in the community.

Neighbors have generated a stack of complaints on Liquor Plus, Johnson said, and on the direction of the mayor "We'll have zero tolerance for any illegal activity in the city of Flint."

Some residents cheered as they came out from their homes in the neighborhood, noting people hanging out at the store during the early morning hours.

Councilman Wantwaz Davis, who represents the 5th Ward where the store is located, stood outside the store as police entered and applauded the action taken by Leyton, Johnson, and the administration.

"We're trying to make this a vibrant, safe, clean community to the very best of our ability, but when you have stores like this and you have owners that allow such improprieties to occur, at some point in time we have to allow the law to be enforced," he said.

Inel Bailey, 69, swept the sidewalk outside her home near the now shuttered store. She's lived in the neighborhood for three years and enjoyed the convenience of the store.

Part of the blame for the issue comes from the people traveling to the store, Bailey said.

"The people brought their drama to the store, the people brought their drama over here," she said, but Bailey admitted hearing gunshots that give her concern.

"Every other night or so," she said. "That bothers me, when gunshots ring out."

Johnson said the closure is not going to be the last for stores in the city that are felt to have a negative impact for neighborhoods.

"We're going to target every store in the city that's doing illegal sales of anything and we're going to shut them down," he said. "If they're doing something crooked, they're going to be in the same position."
Post Wed Aug 24, 2016 11:01 am 
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

Judge allows padlocked liquor store to reopen

Dominic Adams | dadams5@mlive.com By Dominic Adams | dadams5@mlive.com
Follow on Twitter
on August 30, 2016 at 12:00 PM, updated August 30, 2016 at 12:01 PM
FLINT, MI – A party store on the city's north side has reopened after being padlocked by Flint police.

Liquor Plus Mini Mart, 2407 Martin Luther King Ave., reopened Monday, Aug. 29 after Genesee Circuit Judge Joseph J. Farah ruled the store could operate until midnight and be managed by the owner's wife.

The store was padlocked by Flint police Chief Tim Johnson on Tuesday, Aug. 23, after Genesee County Prosecutor David Leyton was granted a temporary restraining order from Genesee Circuit Judge Judith Fullerton in a civil lawsuit filed against the business and its owner.

Farah's ruling will allow the store to operate until the case goes to trial.

Leyton included two years' worth of police complaints and alleged criminal activity at the liquor store in court documents that led to the temporary restraining order and padlock under the state's public nuisance law.

Liquor Plus is co-owned and was operated by Lakhbir "Lucky" Chahal was arrested on suspicion of food stamp and wire fraud.

"It's a very frustrating turn of events," Leyton said. "There has been a lot of crime on the premises of this store disturbing the peace and quiet of the neighborhood. Together with the residents, we will continue our efforts to padlock this facility."

The Flint Journal could not reach Chahal's attorney for comment on Tuesday, Aug. 30.

There were five shootings outside the store since July 26, including the slaying of 27-year-old Corandis Jenkins. A teenager was subsequently shot near the store during a vigil for Jenkins, a 10-year-old who was shot inside a vehicle in June and a triple shooting Aug. 7.
Post Tue Aug 30, 2016 5:03 pm 
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

Early morning blaze destroys Liquor Plus store on Flint's north side
1 / 34
Flint resident Andrea Cooper stands somberly outside of Liquor Plus, located at 2407 Martin Luther King Avenue, where a fully-engulfed blaze totaled the building on Monday, Jan. 26, 2015 in Flint. Battalion Chief Mark Kovach said the building was a total loss, and when crews arrived at 5 a.m., the worked to contain and let the fire burn the building because of concerns of firefighter safety. No one was injured in the blaze. Flint's arson squad was called to the scene to investigate. "This is the neighborhood store," Cooper said. "It meant a lot to us -- to the community." Jake May | MLive.com
Jake May | jmay2@mlive.com
Print Email
Molly Young | myoung7@mlive.com By Molly Young | myoung7@mlive.com
on January 26, 2015 at 5:46 PM

Get Flash Player
See store's interior damage after fire destroys Liquor Plus in Flint Flames had already taken over most of Liquor Plus, located at 2407 Martin Luther King Avenue, by the time Flint firefighters arrived at the store at about 5 a.m. Monday, Jan. 26, 2015 in Flint, said Battalion Chief Mark Kovach. The building was a total loss.

FLINT, MI -- Traffic slowed as drivers stared in awe at the wreckage of a north side Flint business Monday afternoon, Jan. 26, after an early morning fire destroyed Liquor Plus.

Firefighters were called to the store, located at 2407 Martin Luther King Ave., around 5 a.m. Monday, said Battalion Chief Mark Kovach.

But flames had already taken over most of the building by the time firefighters arrived, forcing crews to let it burn in the interest of firefighter safety, Kovach said.

Around 2 p.m., about a dozen community members stood nearby chatting about the blaze.

The building's exterior yellow blocks still stood, although charred in places, but inside the skeleton of a building was a different story.

"Everything's melted away. Everything's gone," said Lucky Chahal, the store's owner of about eight years. "This is awful. This was my bread and butter -- where I made my living."

As motorists drove by the store, many slowed, sometimes to a stop, to point and stare at the remnants of the store, many shaking their heads.

As tears filled her eyes, area resident Andrea Cooper said the store was a community staple – it had been around for years and was the preferred convenience store in the neighborhood.

"This is the neighborhood store," Cooper said. "It meant a lot to us, to the community."

Flint's Arson Squad was called to investigate the blaze, Kovach said.

"Any time there's a commercial structure fire they're called to investigate," he said, noting that it doesn't necessarily mean the cause was arson.

Chahal, though, said he got a call from the alarm company shortly before the fire for an alarm trip inside the building.

"I pulled up the cameras on my phone, and there was nothing there," he said, adding that the surveillance footage allowed him to see the inside and outside of the building. "So, I told them to cancel it."

A second call from the alarm company prompted Chahal to drive to the store from his Flushing home. When he arrived, the building was engulfed in flames.

"There was nothing I could do. I just stood there and watched it burn," he said. "If I would have known something like this was going to happen, I wouldn't have started closing at 2 a.m. like other stores."

Chahal made the decision to begin closing the store overnight after five people were shot early one morning in the parking lot in September, he said.

No one was injured in Monday's incident.

Chahal said his decision to rebuild the business will depend on if the insurance company will pay enough, and that depends on the arson investigator's report.

No further information has been released.
Post Tue Aug 30, 2016 6:38 pm 
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

April 3, 1996, Flint City Governmental Operations Committee (960095) sponsored by Matt Taylor, 5th ward

The discussion revolved around a request by Odeh Brothers to transfer ownership of 1995 SDD-SDM licensed business from King Party Store, Inc. located at 2411-2415 M. L. King which came to Council recommended for approval.

Mat Taylor asked for liquor licenses to be sent to committee meeting prior to being automatically placed on the Council agenda. Matt Taylor then requested the following information from the City attorney and Flint Police:
How can the feds release prior liquor license?
Why are they selling liquor?
Is there a way to shut down the operation

Councilman Minore (7th ward) requested a review of the liquor history, background from state Liquor Control Commission, which would also have building inspectios attached to it. Minore also requested the City Attorney provide a written response in a general way or in this specific instance where a license is held by the federal government.

Matt Taylor requested the City Attorney get with the federal government to determine the process. Can the city do anything to close this place down for good.
Post Wed Aug 31, 2016 3:48 pm 
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

Resolution 960413 on Monday April 8, 1996
Memorandum from Darla Broden, Assistant Cit Attorney, dated 3/29/96 RE: Transfer of SDD-SDM License from king Party Store, Inc. to Odeh Brothers.
Post Wed Aug 31, 2016 3:52 pm 

Jump to:  
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Last Topic | Next Topic  >

Forum Rules: