FAQFAQ   SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlistRegisterRegister  ProfileProfile   Log in[ Log in ]  Flint Talk RSSFlint Talk RSS

»Home »Open Chat »Political Talk  Â»Flint Journal »Political Jokes »The Bob Leonard Show  

Flint Michigan online news magazine. We have lively web forums

FlintTalk.com Forum Index > Political Talk

Topic: Will water & crime issues impact Flint election?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
  Author    Post Post new topic Reply to topic
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

I drove E Court Street today and it looked like a "home for sale" sign explosion. I wonder what kind of problems are igniting this exodus?

Since the College Cultural area was one of the core bases of support for Walling, what kind of message is this for his campaign?
Post Thu Jul 23, 2015 9:46 pm 
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

There will be at least 8 open houses in the college cultural area on Sunday.
Post Fri Jul 24, 2015 9:58 pm 
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

http://www.mlive.com/news/flint/index.ssf/2015/07/police_investigate_after_man_s_1.html#incart_river

Police investigate after man sufffers gunshot wound in Flint

Molly Young | myoung7@mlive.com By Molly Young | myoung7@mlive.com
on July 24, 2015 at 2:10 PM

FLINT, MI -- Police are investigating after they were called to Evergreen Regency apartments for reports of a shooting Friday morning, July 24.

Police arrived at the scene in the 2300 block of Crest Court, where a man was shot around 10:30 a.m. The man was taken to the hospital, where he was listed in good condition, said city spokesman Jason Lorenz.

Multiple suspects were seen running from the scene, but as of about 2 p.m., no arrests were made, Lorenz said.

No further information was released.

Anyone with information on the shooting is asked to call the Flint Police Department at 810-237-6800 or Crime Stoppers at 1-800-SPEAK-UP. All calls and cash rewards are anonymous.

Phil

I'm shocked. Round up the usual suspects

flash5153

Can someone put a live feed camera up at that place? It would be entertaining to anyone who wanted to watch. And would be just a matter of time before something more happened,

Blue407

MSP troopers on bicycles was supposed to prevent this type of thing.

dragon12

Getting the weekend shooting fest in Flint off to an early start. The warm weather always brings out the best in folks.
Post Sat Jul 25, 2015 6:15 am 
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

I was in the south side when this happened. Two Sheriff vehicles blew through the intersection of Dort and Lippincott at high speeds.

I agree with Blue 407. What is going on with the community policing efforts of the State Police? I remember the media touting the benefits of having this new form of "Officer Friendly" in this high crime area, but I have yet to see any benefits.

Improvements will happen when Flint Housing does their jobs. When the Housing Commission stops allowing unregistered tenants to live in their housing units, then that will be a start. Former Prosecutor Busch established a mini-station in Howard Estates which was matched to a Police Officer who grew up in the area and was already known to the community. Thus a network of information was established that eventually brought down the Howard Estates Boys in a federal Rico case.

Dragon 12 was on the mark as the police were kept busy all night and the southeast side had a second shooting.
Post Sat Jul 25, 2015 6:39 am 
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

http://www.mlive.com/news/flint/index.ssf/2015/07/flint_police_investigate_shoot_9.html#incart_related_stories

Flint police investigate shooting near church, closed school
Flint police investigate a shooting Friday, July 24, outside the closed Stewart Elementary School on the city's south side. (Gary Ridley | MLive.com)

Gary Ridley | gridley@mlive.com By Gary Ridley | gridley@mlive.com
Follow on Twitter
on July 24, 2015 at 9:00 PM, updated July 24, 2015 at 9:05 PM

FLINT, MI -- One person is in good condition after a shooting outside a closed south-side elementary school.

Police were dispatched to Stewart Elementary School, which closed in 2009, near Burr and Kent streets around 7 p.m. Friday, July 24, after they received a report that a man was transported in a personally-owned vehicle to Hurley Medical Center for a gunshot wound.

Authorities have not yet released the victim's name or age.

Detectives and crime scene investigators arrived around 8:30 p.m. to investigate the scene where they believe the victim was shot. They scoured an open area between the school and neighboring churches for evidence of the shooting.

A preacher and organ could be heard from the church's open doors as police secured the scene and took photographs. Kids continued playing in the streets and basketball courts in the blocks surrounding where the shooting allegedly took place.

Police said they do not yet have any suspects in custody.

No other information on the incident was immediately available.

Anyone with information is asked to call Flint police at 810-237-6800, or to submit an anonymous tip call Crime Stoppers at 1-800-SPEAK-UP, or text CSM and the tip to CRIMES (274637) or online at www.1800speakup.org.
Post Sat Jul 25, 2015 7:24 am 
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

Concerned Pastors urge Flint residents to get their water tested

Flint residents fill out a short survey created to map out problems with water across the city after a rally hosted by the Concerned Pastors for Social Action at Mt. Calvary Church in Flint, Mich. on Sunday August 2, 2015. (Christian Randolph/Flint Journal)

Christian Randolph | crandolp@mlive.com

Dominic Adams | dadams5@mlive.com By Dominic Adams | dadams5@mlive.com
Follow on Twitter
on August 02, 2015 at 6:00 PM, updated August 02, 2015 at 9:53 PM

FLINT, MI – Mt. Calvary Church in Flint was filled with people praying for safe and affordable water on Sunday, Aug. 2.

The rally was led by Concerned Pastors for Social Action and urged Flint residents to get their water tested.

The group has been meeting with lawmakers in Lansing and urged more residents to voice their concerns to elected officials.

Activist Melissa Mays told the crowd her family has copper poisoning from drinking the water.

"What comes out of my tap is yellow or green and it smells like an old pond," she said. "When I speak outside of town about our water, people are appalled. It sickens me."

Flint has been in violation of the Safe Drinking Water Act since the start of this year because of the level of total trihalomethanes (TTHM) in water tests taken during the past 12 months.

Residents have also complained that their water has been discolored or foul-smelling since the change occurred.

The city has touted its investments in water treatment, and results of water samples have improved — showing acceptable levels of TTHM — in 2015.

The city's adopted capital improvement plan says $30 million over the next five years will be spent on the Water Treatment Plant. A $1.6 million filtering system was installed in July.

The city's most recent water testing in late May showed all eight test sites had allowable levels of total trihalomethanes, the disinfection byproduct that plagued Flint's water system after it switched to treating Flint River water in April 2014.

But the city remains in violation of the federal water act because a single testing site on Flint's west side had such a high reading last year that the annual average test at the site is still 93.5 parts per billion. The maximum allowable level is 80 ppb.

"We have a drought of accountability," said water protester Nayyirah Shariff. "Our drought is caused by our government."

Dominic Adams is a reporter for The Flint Journal. Contact him at dadams5@mlive.com or 810-241-8803. Follow him on Twitter, Facebook or Google+.
Post Mon Aug 03, 2015 3:09 am 
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

http://www.mlive.com/news/flint/index.ssf/2015/07/safe_water_neighborhoods_top_d.html#incart_river

Flint Mayor Dayne Walling campaigns on safe water, neighborhoods

Ron Fonger | rfonger1@mlive.com By Ron Fonger | rfonger1@mlive.com
on July 31, 2015 at 4:10 AM

FLINT, MI -- Dayne Walling has been mayor of a city so financially distressed that it's been under state oversight since 2011.

He's worked at times for no pay, and the next mayor of Flint will still have limited powers after having lost some authority to a new city administrator and state Receivership Transition Advisory Board.

But Walling is asking for more time on the job -- another four years -- as he seeks to advance to the November general election.

Voters will decide Tuesday, Aug. 4, whether the incumbent deserves that chance or whether he's at least part of the reason for Flint's recent struggles and needs to be replaced.

"I am proud of how we are working more together as a community and making progress in all parts of the city," Walling said in response to a questionnaire from The Flint Journal-MLive.

Dayne Walling
• Address: Resident of Ward 7
• Education: Graduate of Flint Central High School; bachelor's degree from James Madison College, Michigan State University; bachelor's degree from St. Peter's College, University of Oxford; master's degree, Goldsmith's College, University of London
• Personal: Married, two children
"The circumstances have been very tough and trying, and I have learned a great deal," he said. "I want to continue to improve in the next term."

Walling's first obstacle to doing that is the primary election, which pits the former Rhodes scholar against councilmen Eric Mays and Wantwaz Davis and businesswoman Karen Weaver.

The top two vote-getters face off in November.

In response to the Journal questionnaire, the trio of challengers gave Walling poor grades for his time on the job so far -- partly because they see him as ineffective in preventing or moving Flint faster out of state oversight due to the city's shaky finances.

Weaver said Walling deserves a failing grade for his time in office, Davis scored him with an "E" grade, while Mays graded him "C-minus."

Walling, who became mayor after defeating Genesee County Commissioner Brenda Clack in a special election in 2009, won his first four-year term by defeating former ombudsman Darryl Buchanan in the 2011 general election.

The incumbent graded the job he's done so far as a "B-plus," and said he has a strong record of achievement and a plan for the future on the important issues of public safety and water.

"I know these years have been difficult with the state involvement and the emergency manager, I've advocated against those state policies but they are in place," Walling told the League of Women Voters of the Flint Area. "I think you've seen from me that I am committed to working with everyone to try to move this community forward regardless of our individual politics."

Weaver said that grade is too generous, considering Flint fell into receivership during Walling's time as mayor and that he failed to stand up to emergency managers who decided to use the Flint River as the source of the city's drinking water.

Although the most recent testing by the city shows Flint's water meets all standards set by the Safe Drinking Water Act, the city struggled initially with boil water advisories and remains in violation of the SDWA because of high annual average levels of total trihalomethanes in the water supply.

Walling said he will work with the state, the City Council, city administrator and chief financial officer, but said Flint's financial emergency is over and the work of the "transition board should be completed before next summer."

In responding to other questions, Walling said:
•His top priority if he's re-elected is Flint's safety.

"We must have safe water and safe neighborhoods. I will take action to improve Flint's water and secure a sustainable infrastructure to support 100 percent safety and security."

Walling said he would use an adopted capital improvement plan and the results of a planned leak detection program to prioritize repairs among the more than 600 miles of aging water distribution pipes in the city.

"Flint's neighborhoods will be safer through tough enforcement, community partnerships, and crime prevention," he said.
•He said he's committed to using long-range financial projections, multi-year budgets and quarterly budget amendments to guide the city's finances.
"I will follow this process so we always know exactly where we stand with the finances," Walling said.

•He supports an expanded local income tax and growing the city's rainy day fund "so it could be used to cover shortfalls if necessary in the future."

•He supports a negotiated settlement to "avoid the costs and uncertainties" of a pending lawsuit filed by city retirees over benefit cuts.

Former emergency manager Darnell Earley warned that the cost of the pension and health benefits could bankrupt the city, and Walling said Flint "can't afford the original commitments made for retiree health care so the future costs need to be reduced."

Flint voters almost didn't have a primary election this year after none of the four candidates filed nominating petitions in advance of the state's deadline.

Flint Clerk Inez Brown's office mistakenly gave candidates the wrong deadline for filing petitions, creating the need to pass a new state law to allow for the election.

The Struggle

Anyone but Walling!

westflint 2 days ago

I want to know why it was not a crime when Walling took money from the water fund to pay his buddies that helped him get elected last time around. There was a hearing about this in 2011, and Steve Montel admitted under oath he was paid with water fund money and did no work for the city. This practice of using water fund money for whatever you want, I think , is against the people. The high price of our water is to protect the bondholders and they still dip into the funds for stuff that has nothing to do with water. If we could just get a petition to say water money is for water only

East Flint

@westflint You say these things often, yet can't provide any proof of the Mayor handing out water fund money from this hearing, because that's not what was said. You need to quit listening to hear-say and form your own opinion based in reality and in fact.

**Note- Former Michigan Treasurer Andy Dillon cited misuse of the water and sewer funs as a foundation for his recommendation of a second state takeover.

jkb01

There is a difference between voicing a displeasure with the State EFM and being an obstructionist. I commend the Mayor for working with the state to be part of the solution when state oversight is over opposed to trying to be the loudest obstructionist voice in the room.

4realjoe

I'm a believer that when it comes to leadership either you have it or you don't. Walling... don't. Education? Yes, however, strong leadership is the trait we need most and sadly, Dayne Walling has never demonstrated this as mayor. Pick the issue. Water? Taxes? Economic growth across the city? He has consistently failed.

See, Walling takes his orders from the money boys downtown and then tries to sell it to everyone else across the city. Now take Eric Mays for instance, he takes his orders from the everyday citizens and he fights to achieve their goals. See the difference?

Sorry, Dayne WATER...

westflint

@4realjoe I agree with you 4realjoe! Walling is a failure and has done nothing for the people in the neighborhoods.

Holmes Lion

Hey Walling..how is Smith Village coming along? How is the water that you trumpeted about when it was switched from Detroit? How about an updated video of you chanting "We Gone Make It" while pandering for the black vote? What exactly have you done? Anything come to mind?

1gardener

As the article reports, Walling has been Mayor since 2009 and at times he worked for no pay. - from a FJ 2011 article -

" The city ended the 2010 budget year with an estimated $15 million deficit. A $7 million deficit is projected for budget year 2011."

He along with the council had their pay terminated for a short time and taking into consideration the above quote, they didn't deserve to be paid.

I would like to know what accomplishments has Walling made since 2009 and in what years and let his record speak for him.

Here he says that if elected he will adopt plans and use projections. Whoopie. What has he done since being in office? (Running/training for a marathon or public speaking doesn't count as an accomplishment.)

El Spook-o Biscuit-o

As a person I like the mayor and I truly believe he wants what is best for the city.

As a leader he has been sorely lacking and was all but a ghost during the state occupation and this water fiasco.

That NO ONE lost a job during this water issue is a joke.

Sadly, you can't just be a 'yes' man when the state comes to town and tells you to sit down and be quiet. That's not leading. Even if there was no power to change what their plan was the city needed an advocate for the people, which we never got.

More than anything right now the water is the issue of the day and ti is STILL not right.

I STILL get yellow, stinking water far too often and the price is astronomical.

I respect the mayor but don't think I could vote for him in good conscience.

Pity Flint that of four people running two have had major issues with the law.

jacobsmith

The only thing I can say positive about Walling is that he is not Mays or Davis.

shanedr

Still learning? Is this a college degree or K-12? After all these years he should be an expert. Unfortunately he shows little ability for the leadership needed.
Post Mon Aug 03, 2015 3:17 am 
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

http://www.mlive.com/news/flint/index.ssf/2015/02/crime_hot_spots_identified_alo.html

Walling and Mott Park residents are members of the Steering Committee for this
$1 million grant to improve safety along the Kettering corridor. Yet Mot Park remains riddled with vandalism and home invasions. And these crime issues have surfaced just north of Mott Park.
Post Mon Aug 03, 2015 3:48 am 
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

http://www.mlive.com/news/flint/index.ssf/2015/08/overnight_shootings_leave_two.html#incart_river
Post Mon Aug 03, 2015 7:49 am 
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

Overnight shootings leave two men dead in Flint, police say
l
on August 03, 2015 at 7:17 AM, updated August 03, 2015 at 7:45 AM

FLINT, MI -- Detectives were busy late Sunday night, Aug. 2, and Monday morning, Aug. 3, investigating separate shootings that left two men dead.

The first happened in the 1800 block of Oklahoma Avenue on the city's east side around 11:30 p.m., Lt. Devon Bernritter said. A man was found shot to death on the front porch of a home, he said.

The second happened around 2:30 a.m. inside a home in the 3100 block of Milbourne Avenue, between West McClellan Street and Pasadena Avenue. A man was shot to death in a bedroom, Bernritter said.

There were reports that an argument may have led to the shooting on Milbourne, he said.

As of about 6:30 a.m. Monday morning, no suspects were in custody in either case.

These were the second and third homicides over the weekend, Bernritter said. The first happened around 6 p.m. Friday, July 31, when police were dispatched for reports of shots fired. They found a 20-year-old man unresponsive in a corner lot at Fleming Road and West Stewart Avenue.

Anyone with information is asked to call the Flint Police Department at 810-237-6800.

To remain anonymous, call Crime Stoppers at 1-800-SPEAK-UP. All calls and cash and rewards are completely anonymous.

backward_MI

Mlive used to post each new murder on a map of existing murders for the year so you could gague the contagion. Get on it Molly, please. I think the Flint strong, rah rah crowd put the kibosh on the murder nap. What is the body count year to date? Are we trending up over last year? 5 years? Murders trending south, east, west? Murders in the north end flat, more, less? Inquiring minds want to know.

jacobsmith

@backward_MI We are 31 official, one questionable and four the cops are failing to quantify.

We are going to break 68 this year, I can just feel it.

El Spook-o Biscuit-o

@backward_MI Do inquiring minds want to know or do bloodhungry ghouls want to know so they can have more reasons to casually discuss race and point fingers at how terrible the city is while you feel 'safe' in your 'burbs? Please, Backsy, inquiring minds NEED to know.

Molly Young | myoung7@mlive.com

@backward_MI This might be of interest to you: http://www.crimemapping.com/map.aspx?aid=c99b299c-bc94-459a-b0dd-b871278930c3

Also, we usually do a story on crime/homicide trends at the end of every year, and about halfway through the year. Here's the latest, a mid-year report for 2015: http://www.mlive.com/news/flint/index.ssf/2015/05/mid-year_crime_stats_show_homi.html#comments

tyrone_twp

Shows you how phony the 'Flint is getting safer' narrative is. Junk data, lower population...and a surge in homicides putting the city on track for record breaking year. The entire region is desperate and decaying. Even in Grand Blanc every other house is for sale.

2fast4luv

@tyrone_twp hey we still got the farmers market that help create thousands of jobs in flint.

backward_MI

Yep, and they're turning Flint into a college town, lol. Let's see if Back to the Bricks can come off without a major crime incident.

El Spook-o Biscuit-o

@tyrone_twp DEAR HEAVENS, SAVE GRAND BLANC!

This is a city. Tell me a city of any relative size that doesn't have these issues and I'll tell you a fairy tale.

Flint is in bad straits and has been for a long time. Forgive some of us who choose or have to live here for hoping that things will get better and for seeing beyond the blood.

It's nice that the early morning trolls and ghouls are up and at 'em and ready to roll on the 'boards though.

Keep up the solid work, fellas.
Post Mon Aug 03, 2015 7:57 am 
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

http://www.mlive.com/news/flint/index.ssf/2015/08/man_dead_in_early_morning_homi.html#incart_river

Man dead in early morning homicide outside Flint strip club

on August 04, 2015 at 6:33 AM

FLINT, MI – An apparent shooting left a man dead outside Cloud Nine Showbar in Flint, police say.

Police were called to the club, located at 1714 S. Saginaw Street, just south of 12th Street, at 12:49 a.m. Tuesday, Aug. 4.

A man was found dead outside the club from an apparent gunshot wound, said Sgt. David Hanson with the Flint Police Department.

No suspects were arrested.

This is the third homicide this week. The first occurred in the 1800 block of Oklahoma Avenue on the city's east side around 11:30 p.m. Sunday, Aug. 2. A man was found shot to death on the front porch of a home, said Lt. Devon Bernritter.

The second happened around 2:30 a.m. inside a home in the 3100 block of Milbourne Avenue, between West McClellan Street and Pasadena Avenue. A man was shot to death in a bedroom, Bernritter said.

Tuesday's killing was the 29th homicide in the city in 2015, according the Flint Police Department.

Anyone with information is asked to call the Flint Police Department at 810-237-6800, or call Crime Stoppers at 1-800-SPEAK-UP.
Post Tue Aug 04, 2015 6:33 am 
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

http://www.mlive.com/news/flint/index.ssf/2015/08/man_in_critical_condition_afte_45.html#incart_river
Post Tue Aug 04, 2015 6:46 am 
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

Man in critical condition after being shot walking down street in Flint

Roberto Acosta | racosta1@mlive.com By Roberto Acosta | racosta1@mlive.com

on August 03, 2015 at 8:35 PM, updated August 03, 2015 at 11:07 PM

FLINT, MI -- A man was listed in critical condition Saturday, Aug. 1, after he was shot in the stomach by a woman in a vehicle that slowed next to him in Flint, according to police.

The male victim told police he was walking east on Oklahoma Avenue near Olive Avenue around 6:30 p.m. when a blue van driven by a woman, with two male passengers inside, pulled up.

A few moments later, the woman began to fire a handgun at him, police said. He ran down the street to a home and called 911. A Mobile Medical Response ambulance took him to Hurley Medical Center, where he was found to have been shot once in the lower stomach area.

There was no word on any arrests in connection with the case or a potential motive for the shooting/

ICB1

He made it to a house on Oklahoma and they called 911, I was going South on Franklin when MMR passed me. (I of course pulled over) At the house on Oklahoma there were two sheriff vehicles, two state police vehicles and two FPD vehicles. This supposedly is the same house that a person was killed the next day.(yesterday)

Roberto Acosta | racosta1@mlive.com

He was shot by a woman inside the vehicle.
Post Tue Aug 04, 2015 6:56 am 

Jump to:  
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Last Topic | Next Topic  >

Forum Rules: