FAQFAQ   SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlistRegisterRegister  ProfileProfile   Log in[ Log in ]  Flint Talk RSSFlint Talk RSS

»Home »Open Chat »Political Talk  Â»Flint Journal »Political Jokes »The Bob Leonard Show  

Flint Michigan online news magazine. We have lively web forums

FlintTalk.com Forum Index > Political Talk

Topic: County can ban those who threaten from buildings

Author    Post Post new topic Reply to topic
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

http://www.mlive.com/news/flint/index.ssf/2015/05/genesee_county_animal_control_15.html

Blake Thorne | bthorne1@mlive.com By Blake Thorne | bthorne1@mlive.com
Follow on Twitter
on May 26, 2015 at 6:00 PM, updated May 27, 2015 at 10:11 PM

GENESEE COUNTY, MI -- The veterinarian at Genesee County Animal Control is leaving her job with the county over threats, verbal abuse and pressure from some members of the public to avoid euthanasia at all costs, even in the case dangerous or very sick animals.

"Recently, there has become increasingly more pressure at the shelter to improve 'the stats' of the animals there by reducing the euthanasia rate," Michele Koan wrote in a May 15 letter to the county obtained by The Flint Journal under the Freedom of Information Act.

"In doing this, extreme actions have been being taken to extend the lives of animals whose quality of life is no longer existent and also to place animals whose temperaments make them a risk to other animals and to the public itself, all in the name of getting an animal out of the building at all costs in order to avoid labeling that animal as one that the shelter euthanized."

Koan, who also works at her Flushing-area practice, has been with the shelter since 2010. Animal Control Director Paul Wallace said Koan typically works four to six hours a week at the shelter.

"Over the past week, I have been thrown under the bus and repeatedly slandered for doing what I know to be the right thing for the animals," she wrote. "For honest decisions that were made based on my education and my veterinary oath, I have received numerous threats, including suggestive death threats."

Read the letter: countyvetresignation.pdf

Wallace confirmed that Koan is leaving and added he already has begun the process to find a replacement. He did not comment on the reasons for her departure.

"She's really an awesome veterinarian," Wallace said.

Genesee County Commissioner Pegge Adams, D-Richfield Twp., said it's a shame such a qualified professional was put in this position.

"She's going to be nearly impossible to replace," Adams said during a board committee meeting Tuesday, May 26. "You can find crackpots in any profession, and I'm sure they'll be lining up now."

Genesee Residents for Animal Control Evolution previously bumped heads with Koan in 2013, when she said a policy of ending routine euthanasia has created more suffering than good for cats and kittens.

But a founding member of GRACE, Richard Angelo, said he wasn't aware of any recent conflicts with the veterinarian.

"I know that there are some volunteers who absolutely love her, and there are some others who have been critical of her," Angelo said.

Angelo added he was surprised to hear of the resignation, because he feels the shelter has had improvements lately.

MLive-The Flint Journal could not immediately reach Koan for comment.

Last edited by untanglingwebs on Wed Jun 24, 2015 9:10 am; edited 1 time in total
Post Wed Jun 24, 2015 8:47 am 
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

On June 15, 2015 the County Commission Government Operations Committee passed resolution 15-221 to deal with this issue of online and personal threats.

The resolution recognizes the first amendment rights of the citizens. the resolution then states they are aware of social media comments and in-person statements that go beyond criticism of government officials and that constitute threats of violence against county officials, employees, or contractors.

The resolution states any person who makes or endorses that a Genesee County official, employee, or contractor should be killed, kidnapped, or harassed in any way, can be denied access to Genesee County buildings to the full extent allowed by aw.
Post Wed Jun 24, 2015 9:05 am 

Jump to:  

Last Topic | Next Topic  >

Forum Rules: