FAQFAQ   SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlistRegisterRegister  ProfileProfile   Log in[ Log in ]  Flint Talk RSSFlint Talk RSS

»Home »Open Chat »Political Talk  Â»Flint Journal »Political Jokes »The Bob Leonard Show  

Flint Michigan online news magazine. We have lively web forums

FlintTalk.com Forum Index > Political Talk

Topic: more poor downtown planning

Author    Post Post new topic Reply to topic
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

http://www.abc12.com/news/localnews/headlines/Flints-Riverbank-Park-is-closed-for-renovations-305521411.html

The park could be closed until fall

FLINT (WJRT) - (05/29/15) - One of the area's most popular summer event venues is hitting a sour note this season.

Concerts and other events planned at Flint's Riverbank Park are being forced to find a new home this summer. Renovations will keep the popular park closed for the next few months.

The $300,000 DNR grant was announced two years ago, but red tape delayed the project. The work will cause many organizations to switch to plan B.

"The first phase will involve some demolition, removing some concrete, and then we'll make the site more accessible and easier to maintain in the years to come," said Dayne Walling, Flint mayor.

Wheelchair users should have an easier time moving through the park after renovations are completed this fall, but annual events will have to find other locations. Juneteenth will move to a new park at University and Grand Traverse.

"Well, my first reaction was 'OK, I'm a team player.' I've been waiting for construction of Riverbank Park for 15 years. I pay over $1,000 to have sound equipment moved in because of the terrible design of the park. So I'm down with fixing the park. The moat has always scared me," said Paul Herring, a Juneteenth organizer.

The channels of water referred to as 'the moat' around the stage will be removed as part of the renovations.

The Flint Jazz Festival is having a harder time finding a suitable location. It serves alcohol, so organizers have to have gates to control crowds. So far, nothing fits the bill. Two thousand to 3,000 people attend each day of the three-day event.

"If we don't find a suitable location soon, probably within the next couple of weeks, we'll either have to cancel it or the musicians will cancel on us," said Greg Fiedler, Flint Jazz Festival organizer.
Post Sat May 30, 2015 2:25 pm 
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

The project was said to be delayed by "red tape", but the article never questions what could hold off this project for so long.

Paul Herring addressed the council about the loss of the park for his log time event for Juneteenth. Herring had already paid for the use of the facility and related costs. When he asked to use the flat parking space across the street, he stated he was told the city needed the lot for the Farmers Market. This lot is blocks from the Market The city would not let Herring even use the lot after the Market closed

Since demolition and construction plans had to be generated long in advance of the actual work, I can't believe the city went ahead and rented out the park Even the bid process takes time and the Juneteenth is less than three weeks away. Dos the city or Kettering own the park mentioned. It used to be a grocery store and Laundromat.

Any event that brings 2,000 to 3,000 people downtown daily is beneficial to the businesses downtown and the vendors that service the event. This has been a longtime favorite event for many. It is a shame to have to canel the event.
Post Sat May 30, 2015 2:43 pm 
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

I was surprised to see city officials tell Herring he might want to use the park on Pasadena and Dupont (former Forest Park). This park is heavily wooded with minimal parking.

Even the new location will not have an actual parking lot.
Post Sat May 30, 2015 2:48 pm 
00SL2
F L I N T O I D

Has anyone considered asking Kettering (or whomever is in charge) about the use of Atwood Stadium?
Post Sun May 31, 2015 11:09 am 

Jump to:  

Last Topic | Next Topic  >

Forum Rules: