FAQFAQ   SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlistRegisterRegister  ProfileProfile   Log in[ Log in ]  Flint Talk RSSFlint Talk RSS

»Home »Open Chat »Political Talk  Â»Flint Journal »Political Jokes »The Bob Leonard Show  

Flint Michigan online news magazine. We have lively web forums

FlintTalk.com Forum Index > Political Talk

Topic: GECA

Author    Post Post new topic Reply to topic
Rapunzel

I know of this assoc. and they were doing many demolitions on our Eastside. The mayor held up the disbursement of block grant dollars that they were allocated. Where is the Ombudsman!!! Instead the City will have another lawsuit. (RAP) This assoc. is above board and in the right!

GECA- Greater Eastside Community Association

The City of Flint
has sued our agency for failing
to complete a rehab project that the current administration wouldn’t let us finish!

GECA
Legal Defense Fundraiser

Luigi’s
2132 Davison Road

Thursday, February 23rd
5:00 – 8:00 p.m.

$20 per ticket

(Pizza and Salad)
Cash Bar
Post Sun Feb 12, 2006 9:39 pm 
Ted Jankowski
F L I N T O I D

My question. Where does our 4th ward councilperson stand on this? We know the New council in the "Spirit of cooperation" isn't willing to go against the Mayor or after his appointees for failure from the 1.4 million lost becuase of the refusal to pay out the grant monies. Maybe, Adam would like to call her and ask, why this is being allowed? Or what happened to the 1.4 million and why no one is being held accountable for it?
Post Mon Feb 13, 2006 10:44 am 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger  Reply with quote  
Adam Ford

I might be willing to go but I don't want to go by myself. Perhaps we could go as a group and get some official organizing going? I coupd pick people up or get picked up.

Adam Ford
webmaster@mysearchisover.com
Post Mon Feb 13, 2006 3:52 pm 
Ted Jankowski
F L I N T O I D

Adam, I thought simple phone call is all it should take? Give Mr. Williamson a call. You know, he did have an exeutive order requiring accountability didn't he? Also, you mentioned that Our Council person for the 4th ward is doing an excellent job. Well these are the questions and issues that prove those statements. I am hoping you'll do as I've done. And waste a lot of time trying to get logical explainations from the Mayor and the City council about things like this.
Post Mon Feb 13, 2006 4:06 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger  Reply with quote  
Josh Freeman
F L I N T O I D

My guess is that the current councilperson won't even speak to any of this stuff with Greater Eastside.... she has her marching orders, and she seems to be following them quite well... The councilperson for the 4th ward refuses to fight for the only organization doing anytime type of housing on the Eastside... She is more interested in finding money to pay for GED testing for residents (as she stated at the Council meeting monday night)

Greater Eastside is being sued for a breach of contract by the City of Flint... it seems that they were not able to finish projects that were started in a timely fashion... what is left out of the lawsuit is the fact that the Mayor turned off the money for all non-profits immediately after taking office...no money, no work.... seems pretty simple to me.... This is another moronic lawsuit, in a long line of moronic lawsuits filed by this administration... another waste of money that they will loose....

There is a history with this agency and Peggy Cook.... Cook while on council managed to get a large sum of Block Grant Funds awarded for the eastside so that targeted rehab/demo/new builds could start.... unfortunately, Cook thought that by awarding this money to GECA she would be able to control what happened... if there was a house that needed to demo... she would tell GECA and get it done... GECA though, thought it better to do projects in targeted areas within a specific plan rather than a house here, there, etc with no logical plan.... GECA and Cook have a falling out and Cook in the next year Block Grant plan makes the move on the Council to take back the money from GECA (though Cook voted to give them the money, all other Council people vote against it)...This is about the time that the recall happens and the state takes over... GECA again gets funding under Kurtz and begins to move forward again building two new houses in the project targeted area..... Then Williamson gets elected, appoints Peggy as City Administrator.. and starts the paybacks against GECA again.... with wild allegations of Grand Juries and investigations conducted by former prostitute, former cheese distributor at the county, girlfriend of ex-felon Bob Leonard .... Sally Haywood... who, incidently the City is paying $35,000.00 a year to video tape City Council meetings for the Bob Leonard show... but that is a different post...

And here we are.. the Mayor turns the money off for over a year, then sues because projects weren't finished.... seems logical....

I would urge any of you to attend the fundraiser... it is a worthy cause for the Eastside.....and you will be with good company... folks that are really interested in moving flint forward not just putting a dumpster on the corner or painting a building brown.

Josh
Post Wed Feb 15, 2006 8:12 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address  Reply with quote  
Ted Jankowski
F L I N T O I D

Oh man Josh, Stop using that common sense. Please, everytime you post. I almost throw my back out laughing. I'm laighing becuase it sounds so much like what I would be saying if I had the same information. GOOD JOB. This is part of what I was saying before about how politics work. Need to have something to focus on. THe Mayor puts out the Disinformation First. A tactic I'm sure that if He didn't already have a good idea how to do before he was Mayor. His Dance instructor probably did for him. You know who I'm talking about. The Polictical advisor that Elegantly dances around direct questions. Without ever giving a straight answer. So who is handling the Lawsuit. And will the Flint Journal report the facts in the story with a misleading headline? The Headline should read. "FLint Sues GECA over failure to fund" then the whole story should be written with all the facts. Not just what the Mayor says about his Facts, or His "Federal Grand Jury" investigation. If he had truly gotten one. He would have probaly been brought up on charges. LOL You think maybe that's why, there never really was a "Federal Grand Jury Investigation" ever done? Or why there has only been accusations up until now.
Post Thu Feb 16, 2006 12:31 am 
Ted Jankowski
F L I N T O I D

Josh, You ought to write an article for the Flint Journal. Then write a paragraph summary since that is all they will publish anyway. Then send a copy to Matt Zacks. He seems willing and open to print good news stories. You were on the council. So i know you know what your talking about. It would be great to see some of this in the Journal with some reference or documentation.... Oops, I forgot. The Flint Journal frowns on facts. They prefer enuendo and opinions. They make better print. But, I've love to see you give a shot and then report back the outcome.
Post Thu Feb 16, 2006 1:03 am 
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

The truth of this issue was that GECA was in financial trouble. Even the auditor expressed doubts that GECA could not continue as an ongoing entity. There was a misused foundation grant and three properties were lost to unpaid taxes. The agency tried to do their own land banking and owed taxes. Home Rule City law forbids giving a contract to an entity owing taxes to the city.

The state MHSDA bailed GECA out of their cost overruns on the new homes on Delaware. In documents received under FOIA, the state protected GECA from federal findings. MSHDA also declined to build any more new houses for GECA and held up rehab dollars when GECA owed Flint thousands in taxes. The new houses did not help the neighborhood. HUD was upset that the home owners were not in compliance. The neighborhood has deteriorated and still are in the middle of gang fights.

The three houses Flint gave federal money to for rehabs violated HUD time rules and one home had significant misstatements that resulted in GECA having to return over $20,000. GECA lot the houses in the court battle and two have been demolished.
Post Mon Apr 20, 2015 8:18 am 
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

Josh Freeman was a GECA board of Director and was President when he was elected to council. Can you say "conflict of interest". When the agency was failing, Freeman was the one who signed off on the GECA office to the Land bank for failure to comply with the land contract. (he was a council member at the time) Freeman also settled a pay dispute with Kate Fields by signing over the non profit equipment to Fields. That eliminated any assets the city could sue for.

Fields lost a lawsuit over payment for unpaid Bingo supplies for events to raise money for GECA.

Ananich filed documents, as GECA President, to make the old bank building on Franklin, south of Davison, nearly free of taxes There was a hefty tax balance owing.

Ananich was suspect in the changing of the DOE grant for energy assistance using stimulus money. The grant was part of a "whistleblower" lawsuit and an OIG investigation that ended the grant and demanded repayment.
Post Mon Apr 20, 2015 8:32 am 

Jump to:  

Last Topic | Next Topic  >

Forum Rules: