FAQFAQ   SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlistRegisterRegister  ProfileProfile   Log in[ Log in ]  Flint Talk RSSFlint Talk RSS

»Home »Open Chat »Political Talk  Â»Flint Journal »Political Jokes »The Bob Leonard Show  

Flint Michigan online news magazine. We have lively web forums

FlintTalk.com Forum Index > Political Talk

Topic: Northern Michigan Police Corruption?

Author    Post Post new topic Reply to topic
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

A Closer Look: Presque Isle Co. Prosecutor Claims Corruption in Local Law Enforcement

Posted: Oct 03, 2014 5:30 PM EDT
Updated: Oct 10, 2014 5:30 PM EDT
By Alyssa Gambla, Reporter

Continuing coverage tonight on corruption claims involving local law enforcement in several Northern Michigan counties.

It's a story 9&10 News first broke on Thursday.

The Presque Isle County Prosecutor wants the agencies investigated

Prosecutor Richard Steiger believes Presque Isle County's Sheriff's Department and the Alpena State Police Post are rife with corruption and cover-ups.

Steiger submitted a request to the Department of Justice for review in early August.

In it, he asks them to come to Northern Michigan, reopen several cases, and investigate the corruption claims.

State Police and the Sheriffs Department tell us they welcome an investigation, saying they have nothing to hide.

"The fact there are some on law enforcement that portray themselves as above the law and yet hold the community folks to a different standard won't be tolerated," said Richard Steiger.

Prosecutor Richard Steiger starts his letter to the Justice Department claiming an officer out of Alpena used exceptional clearance when the officer's son was investigated for sex crimes.

"I think this is a clear violation of his power, so I reported it to MSP and they did an investigation to check into the matter, and reviewing the matter they said they did nothing wrong because the girl did not want to prosecute. Well, that's just not heard of. Whenever there's a rape, even if the victim is reluctant to go forward, that report is sent up to the prosecutor for review.

Steiger says shortly after going to the FBI, he became the center of a drug abuse investigation, but the charges were dropped.
He feels that investigation may have been in retaliation.
State police provided a statement saying matters have been investigated, and that Steiger's claims are not true.

But his letter calls out the Sheriff's Department too.

Moving forward; These documents show complaints by inmates of sexual assault by corrections officer Richard Hanson...and possible tampering of surveillance video to cover up those crimes.

The Sheriff says if there were any corruption within the department, he would know.

"My personal attorney has advised not to talk about the Hanson case."

"If there's corruption here it would be directed at me since I'm the captain of this ship. If I knew of corruption here, I would take care of it and stop it," said Sheriff Robert Paschke.

But Steiger claims the Sheriff hasn't done his job, and says that the department turned a blind eye to drug smuggling into the jail.

"I requested then that the Sheriff's Department do an investigation... it was not a very good one. They requested the arrest of only one person which was not an inmate, but a person they believed was putting drugs into the dumpster to be smuggled into the jail. I requested they provide more information so we could hold those accountable in jail and prosecute them. Nothing got done, so I contacted MSP and it got buried," said Steiger.

"Somebody was arrested it was someone in jail who brought in the drugs and he was given more time. It's been investigated we don't need to re investigate that... he doesn't like that answer," said Sheriff Paschke.

Now, they wait to hear from the Department of Justice. Both hoping an investigation is in the future.

"I think there has been a past history of officers burying matters that may involve other officers family and friends. My hopes are the Department of Justice gets involved and look into it, and whatever their decision is, at least I've done my job," said Steiger.

"To cover something up you have to have something to hide we're not hiding anything, there's no cover up. He does make a comment that this corruption has gone on for decades by those sworn to uphold law in Presque Isle County... well that's a big slap to everybody that's ever worn a uniform or robe or been a prosecutor," said Paschke.

9&10 News is following a separate sex crime investigation involving Officer Hanson, where he's charged with inappropriately touching a woman in her Rogers City home earlier this year.
Post Tue Oct 14, 2014 12:17 pm 
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

A Closer Look: Presque Isle Co. Prosecutor Claims Corruption in Local Law Enforcement

Posted: Oct 03, 2014 5:30 PM EDT
Updated: Oct 10, 2014 5:30 PM EDT

Continuing coverage tonight on corruption claims involving local law enforcement in several Northern Michigan counties.

It's a story 9&10 News first broke on Thursday.

The Presque Isle County Prosecutor wants the agencies investigated

Prosecutor Richard Steiger believes Presque Isle County's Sheriff's Department and the Alpena State Police Post are rife with corruption and cover-ups.

Steiger submitted a request to the Department of Justice for review in early August.

In it, he asks them to come to Northern Michigan, reopen several cases, and investigate the corruption claims.

State Police and the Sheriffs Department tell us they welcome an investigation, saying they have nothing to hide.

"The fact there are some on law enforcement that portray themselves as above the law and yet hold the community folks to a different standard won't be tolerated," said Richard Steiger.

Prosecutor Richard Steiger starts his letter to the Justice Department claiming an officer out of Alpena used exceptional clearance when the officer's son was investigated for sex crimes.

"I think this is a clear violation of his power, so I reported it to MSP and they did an investigation to check into the matter, and reviewing the matter they said they did nothing wrong because the girl did not want to prosecute. Well, that's just not heard of. Whenever there's a rape, even if the victim is reluctant to go forward, that report is sent up to the prosecutor for review.

Steiger says shortly after going to the FBI, he became the center of a drug abuse investigation, but the charges were dropped.
He feels that investigation may have been in retaliation.
State police provided a statement saying matters have been investigated, and that Steiger's claims are not true.

But his letter calls out the Sheriff's Department too.

Moving forward; These documents show complaints by inmates of sexual assault by corrections officer Richard Hanson...and possible tampering of surveillance video to cover up those crimes.

The Sheriff says if there were any corruption within the department, he would know.

"My personal attorney has advised not to talk about the Hanson case."

"If there's corruption here it would be directed at me since I'm the captain of this ship. If I knew of corruption here, I would take care of it and stop it," said Sheriff Robert Paschke.

But Steiger claims the Sheriff hasn't done his job, and says that the department turned a blind eye to drug smuggling into the jail.

"I requested then that the Sheriff's Department do an investigation... it was not a very good one. They requested the arrest of only one person which was not an inmate, but a person they believed was putting drugs into the dumpster to be smuggled into the jail. I requested they provide more information so we could hold those accountable in jail and prosecute them. Nothing got done, so I contacted MSP and it got buried," said Steiger.

"Somebody was arrested it was someone in jail who brought in the drugs and he was given more time. It's been investigated we don't need to re investigate that... he doesn't like that answer," said Sheriff Paschke.

Now, they wait to hear from the Department of Justice. Both hoping an investigation is in the future.

"I think there has been a past history of officers burying matters that may involve other officers family and friends. My hopes are the Department of Justice gets involved and look into it, and whatever their decision is, at least I've done my job," said Steiger.

"To cover something up you have to have something to hide we're not hiding anything, there's no cover up. He does make a comment that this corruption has gone on for decades by those sworn to uphold law in Presque Isle County... well that's a big slap to everybody that's ever worn a uniform or robe or been a prosecutor," said Paschke.

9&10 News is following a separate sex crime investigation involving Officer Hanson, where he's charged with inappropriately touching a woman in her Rogers City home earlier this year.
Post Tue Oct 14, 2014 12:22 pm 
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

Possible Investigation into Northern Michigan Law Enforcement Offices

Posted: Oct 02, 2014 6:39 PM EDT
Updated: Oct 09, 2014 9:20 PM EDT

Serious accusations tonight coming from the Presque Isle County Prosecutor involving a State police post, and the
Presque Isle County Sheriff's Department.

The Prosecutor believes the Alpena Post and the Sheriff's Department should be investigated for corruption, among other things.

But police say they have nothing to hide.

"I think there has been a past history of officers burying matters that may involve other officers family and friends," said Richard Steiger, Prosecuting Attorney.

Steiger wants the Department of Justice to investigate what he claims is corruption in the Presque Isle County Sheriff's Department, and the Michigan State Police Alpena Post.

"These are just a few individuals who hold positions of power and I believe have exploited that power and failed to uphold their constitutional obligation to hold themselves to the same standards as the citizens," said Steiger.

"They are allegations I'm just saying.. I know he's accusing us of cover ups and to cover something up you have to have something to hide. We're not hiding anything there's no cover up," said Presque Isle County Sheriff, Robert Paschke.

And state police provided a statement saying Steiger's claims are unsubstantiated, and welcoming an outside investigation to prove it.

Steiger says the Sheriff's Department may have been involved in smuggling drugs into jail and tampering with evidence. All of which the Sheriff's Department says is not true.

"We did an internal investigation we also had a team come in and they stated they could not prove or disprove of an allegation that's two years old," said Sheriff Paschke.

"My concern is there are reports being made concerning impropriety and illegal activity and it's not being followed up with it's being swept under the rug and hush hush and goes away," said Steiger.

Steiger himself faced charges of prescription fraud in 2012. Those charges were dropped, and he says it may have been retaliation from police.

Now both police and the prosecutor hope an investigation is coming, each confident it will back them up.

"My hopes are the Department of Justice gets involved and look into it, and whatever their decision is, at least I've done my job," said Steiger.

"Our books are open come and look at them," said Paschke.

Diane 686
5 days ago

I think the departments are all good ole boy clubs...especially the Montmorency Department....what a joke!!! They cover up for their people all the time......How about all the affairs that have been happening in that department......what a joke...and you expect us to look up to them......

suzi
7:41 AM Oct 7

Tawas city juvenile courts have been milking parents for yrs up there.

suzi
7:36 AM Oct 7

All of the upnorth counties I know a few judges that like to play games and not have to pay a price

robert206
7:31 AM Oct 7

+2 updown
Share | Flag

They should be investing. The west branch posts also!

love michigan
2:00 AM Oct 6

"Who shall keep the keepers themselves?"

popper
11:21 PM Oct 5
good atleast the prosecutor has the balls to step up!
Post Tue Oct 14, 2014 12:29 pm 
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

Gladwin County and midland county have both given Reznick "special deputy " status. This begs the question of a scandal the likes that took down Genesee County former Sheriff Joe Wilson. Did the also get corporate money?
Post Wed Oct 15, 2014 8:18 am 

Jump to:  

Last Topic | Next Topic  >

Forum Rules: