FAQFAQ   SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlistRegisterRegister  ProfileProfile   Log in[ Log in ]  Flint Talk RSSFlint Talk RSS

»Home »Open Chat »Political Talk  Â»Flint Journal »Political Jokes »The Bob Leonard Show  

Flint Michigan online news magazine. We have lively web forums

FlintTalk.com Forum Index > Political Talk

Topic: How will the race for the 34th state house seat end?
Goto page 1, 2  Next
  Author    Post Post new topic Reply to topic
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

100 bucks or 1,000 signatures: Flint councilman makes last ...

blog.mlive.com/newsnow_impact/print.html?entry=/2014/04/last...

No fee is required of congressional candidates. ... Stanley has held the seat since ...
Dominic Adams | dadams5@mlive.com By Dominic Adams | dadams5@mlive.com The Flint Journal
Follow on Twitter
on April 23, 2014 at 6:00 PM, updated April 23, 2014 at 6:40 PM
FLINT, MI – Flint City Councilman Eric Mays had the $100 he thought he needed to challenge a sitting congressman for office.

What he really needed, though, was 1,000 signatures -- so he ran for state House instead.

Mays, 55, said he had every intention of challenging U.S. Rep. Dan Kildee, D-Flint Township, when he went to Lansing Monday, April 21, to pay a $100 filing fee to get his name on the August primary ballot.

To challenge Kildee, however, Mays said he was told he needed 1,000 signatures supporting his candidacy. No fee is required of congressional candidates.

With the filing deadline just a day away, Mays opted for Plan B.

“You had to have the 1,000 signatures and I couldn’t do that in one day,” Mays said. “I made a last-minute decision to run for the 34th District. I’ll decide between now and Friday whether I’ll withdraw.”

If Mays stays in the race, it could be an interesting run up to the Aug. 5 primary that will include nine Democrats and one Republican vying to replace Democrat Woodrow Stanley in the 34th District.

Stanley has held the seat since 2009, but can't run for the seat again because of term limits.

After getting elected to Flint City Council in November, Mays’ brief time as an elected official hasn’t been quiet.

In his first meeting representing the First Ward, Mays missed out winning the council president seat by a 5-4 vote.

He was arrested less than two weeks later, after police said they found him trying to change a tire on a vehicle with four flats. Police said the vehicle involved had been traveling north in the southbound lanes of Interstate 475 on four flat tires. He was eventually charged with four misdemeanors connected to the arrest, including drunken driving and marijuana possession.

It took Emergency Manager Darnell Earley less than a month following the arrest to request Mays’ resignation, which he did in an announcement with Mayor Dayne Walling, Council President Scott Kincaid and Vice President Bryant Nolden alongside him.

The following week, after Mays rebuffed Earley’s resignation call, the state-appointed emergency manager enacted an executive order that put specific limits on Mays as a councilman.

The new rules for Mays allowed him to communicate with Earley only using email, it wouldn’t allow Mays to talk to city staff and directs First Ward residents to discuss their concerns with City Clerk Inez Brown instead of Mays.

The order also says Mays cannot be disruptive at council meetings, can only address council when President Scott Kincaid recognizes him and ordered Mays to return his door opener to the city garage.

The criminal case against Mays was scheduled for trial Tuesday, April 22, before Flint District Judge Nathaniel C. Perry III, but was rescheduled to Monday, April 28.

“We had proof of insurance – nobody asked for it. We got fingerprinted. If you look at the police report, no police officer ever seen me operate a vehicle,” Mays said. “There’s been a lot of allegations – people jumping the gun asking me to resign. It’s a traffic ticket. The case will be resolved in its proper position – the courts and not in the media.”

Political analyst and Flint native Bill Ballenger said Mays' biggest success as a Flint city councilman has been just getting elected.

“Maybe his philosophy is ‘I’m just going to the voters – they love me, that’s where I’ve had success,'" said Ballenger.

Part of Mays’ rationale for running for the state House, he said, was after the success he’s had in achieving his campaign goals of economic development.

He got unanimous council approval to request Kildee to help Flint secure $30 million for funding for jobs here. Mays said Kildee will meet with the council to discuss the measure June 16.

Another reason for Mays’ last-second decision was that he again got unanimous approval from city council to allocate funding for the city’s economic development department as part of the 2015 budget process.

“I’ve got work to do on the council, but when that council votes 5-4 for a seven point transition plan, that tells me that my colleagues don’t care if an emergency manager is here for another 18 months,” Mays said. “I feel like I can help the same people from a different position and I wouldn’t be under the dictates of an emergency manager.

“The city of Flint as a whole needs help,” Mays said. “If I decide to stay in this race, I might be able to help people in my own ward the same as a state rep. I might be effective as a voice to the city of Flint.”

The seven other Democratic candidates include Flint teacher Jeff Bean; Genesee County Commissioner Omar Sims; Flint School Board member David Davenport; Sixth Ward Flint City Councilman Sheldon Neeley; community activist Quincy Murphy; Nathan Morrish and Donna Calvin.

“I don’t think he’s going to win,” Ballenger said. “His chances are probably two – slim and none.”

Dominic Adams is a reporter for The Flint Journal. Contact him at dadams5@mlive.com or 810-241-8803. Follow him on Twitter, Facebook or Google+.
Post Fri Jul 25, 2014 1:51 pm 
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

The two newest polls show Bean and Neeley at the top of the Democratic side with Sims a distant third. This is probably why there are so many Sims signs plastered everywhere and most illegally in the public right-of-way.

With so many minorities in the race could the black vote be diminished for any one candidate? Interesting that Mays could not afford to pay for his drug evaluation in his court case, but he found $100 to run in a race he did not plan on being in.
Post Fri Jul 25, 2014 2:01 pm 
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

Nine candidates vie for 34th District state House seat after Woodrow Stanley reaches term limit

Sarah Schuch | sschuch@mlive.com By Sarah Schuch | sschuch@mlive.com
on April 22, 2014 at 5:55 PM, updated April 25, 2014 at 1:47 PM

FLINT, MI – The state House seat held by Woodrow Stanley is gaining the most attention in Genesee County this election season.

As of the 4 p.m. Tuesday filing deadline, nine candidates – eight Democrats and one Republican – had filed for election to the seat that Stanley will vacate at the end of the year.

"I'm not surprised. That's what happens when you get open seats," said Political Analyst Bill Ballenger. "People wait for these open seat opportunities and this year in Genesee County, the only one you got is (the 34th District)."

A primary election is scheduled for Aug. 5 and the General Election will take place Nov. 4.

On Dec. 31, Stanley, D-Flint, will reach his limit of three terms in the state House of Representatives.

Stanley has represented the 34th state House District since 2009 and by next year there will be a new face in that seat.

The eight Democratic candidates include Flint teacher Jeff Bean, 58; Genesee County Commissioner Omar Sims, 46; Flint School Board member David Davenport, 46; Sixth Ward Flint City Councilman Sheldon Neeley, 45; First Ward Flint City Councilman Eric Mays, 55; community activist Quincy Murphy, 40; Nathan Morrish, 40, and Donna Calvin, age unavailable.

The Republican candidate is Bruce Rogers, 57.

The Democratic and Republican primary winners will face off in November, but the Democratic primary for the 34th District will be the one to watch in August, Ballenger said.

"Whoever is going to win that Democratic primary is almost definitely going to win the General Election in November. The Republican doesn't stand a chance," Ballenger said. "It's one of the top 10 Democratic districts in the state."

The district is almost 91 percent Democrat, said Ballenger in a previous interview.

Ballenger said he doesn't know exactly who will be a front runner, but he's gotten the impression that Sims is the favorite for this race.

Stanley said he hopes whoever gets elected will have an overall appreciation for the task ahead of them.

"I have more than just a passing interest in making certain whoever ultimately wins goes to Lansing with an appreciation for the very critical needs of the 34th District, but also a really good understanding of what the needs of our state are," Stanley said.

Stanley said he has not endorsed a candidate but reserves his right to do so in the future if he thinks it will make a difference.

The new state representative needs to be able to lead and educate, among other things, Stanley said.

"The challenges facing the residents of the 34th District are daunting. They are significant. There isn't going to be this huge infusion of state dollars to deal with some of those challenges. I think the person that serves in that seat has to be able to work 24/7, do everything they can to help build hope," Stanley said. "They have to have a high energy level. It has to be someone who has the ability to bring people together and work with different organizations. (It has to be someone) really willing to put in the time and effort. This is not an assignment for someone who is only interested in bumping their chests."
Post Fri Jul 25, 2014 2:05 pm 
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

I don't know who Ballenger was listening to, as I have continued to hear of Neeley as a frontrunner. Bean is also an excellent choice.
Post Fri Jul 25, 2014 2:07 pm 
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

Can bottled water save Flint? One candidate thinks it’s ...

seeandbseen.org/2011/07/13/can-bottled-water-save-flint-one...

... interview ABC 12 did with Eric Mays, a community activist and candidate for the mayor's office in Flint. ... Eric Mays, Flint Michigan, Mayor's race by ...

Can bottled water save Flint? One candidate thinks it’s a start

Posted on July 13, 2011 by Amanda Blackburn

I’m not going to poison the well here, so I will ask you to read this excerpt from an interview ABC 12 did with Eric Mays, a community activist and candidate for the mayor’s office in Flint. Just read it and let me know what you think.

Here’s an excerpt, but please read the entire article from ABC 12.

Mays told ABC12 of his innovative ways to create revenue and jobs. “I know how to create over 3,000 to 4,000 jobs immediately, but not the first week I’m in office. Not the third week I’m in office… but the second week. I plan to call everybody to the IMA Sports Arena within the inside of the city of Flint who need to make money.”

When asked how he planned to create that many jobs, Mays answered, “The first demonstration will be with (selling) bottled water … and drinking bottled water. It’s a booming market right now.”

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
When Mays asked City Attorney Trachelle Young about his proposal, we both said it sounded like a Ponzi scheme!
Post Fri Jul 25, 2014 2:28 pm 
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

Flint Talk Forums View topic - Are people dying to vote in ...

www.flinttalk.com/viewtopic.php?p=70246

FlintTalk.com Forum Index >

Did Eric Mays cost Buchanan the win in mayor's race ...

blog.mlive.com/flint-city-beat/2009/05/did_eric_mays_cost_buchanan...

May 08, 2009 · ... Eric Mays said something that I didn't use in any of the news stories and that I didn't really think ... Turnout for Flint mayor's race low, low, low.
Post Fri Jul 25, 2014 2:36 pm 
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

Did Eric Mays cost Buchanan the win in mayor's race?

Joe Lawlor | Flint Journal By Joe Lawlor | Flint Journal
Follow on Twitter
on May 08, 2009 at 10:04 AM, updated May 08, 2009 at 10:30 AM

During one of the mayoral forums, Eric Mays said something that I didn't use in any of the news stories and that I didn't really think about until this week.

Now it sounds downright prophetic.

"I'm going to affect the outcome of this race, one way or another," Mays said, as he stood up and paced while talking. All the forums are running together in my head, but I believe it was the one at Hasselbring Community Center.

With Darryl Buchanan losing by 15 votes, could Mays have cost Buchanan the primary win and a chance to become Flint's mayor? (assuming a recount doesn't put Buchanan ahead of second place finisher Brenda Clack, which at this point seems unlikely)

Hear me out.

Flint Journal filesEric Mays speaking at a City Council meeting in February.

Mays was a longshot candidate from the beginning, never having held public elective office and without substantial money to wage a campaign.

He seemed like an afterthought, kind of like Adam Ford's "campaign" against Woodrow Stanley for state representative last year.

But Mays ran about as strong a campaign as he could. He snagged former Mayor Don Williamson's endorsement, attracted attention with his bizarre Amway-style, selling water bottles for Mays campaign, and was entertaining at the forums.

The end result was only 3.7 percent, and 453 votes out of more than 12,000 cast..

But Buchanan lost by only 15 votes, and I have to believe a large portion of the Mays voters would have been Buchanan voters.

Consider:

• Mays and Buchanan both live in the First Ward on the city's north side.

• Mays and Brenda Clack are not political allies, despite Mays making a show of kissing Clack on the cheek after every forum. (It made me wonder whether Brenda secretly wished she could sneak away from Mays before he sidled up to her)

• The Williamson endorsement. This is the big X factor that I'm not sure about. I think Williamson lost a lot of respect throughout the city, including the north end, when he suddenly asked for his $600,000 in back pay, after only working for $1 per year for five years. (Buchanan criticized Williamson for that at the UM-Flint forum a week before the election, which was the first time I had heard Buchanan criticize his former boss).
So I'm guessing the Williamson endorsement lost a lot of luster by the time the campaign was winding up.

• As I said, Mays campaigned fairly hard for being the longest of longshots. What if he hadn't campaigned at all? He might have got 150 votes instead of 453. Again, I believe that would have been enough to put Buchanan over the top.

I guess we'll never know for sure.

Hopefully Mays will still get a Christmas card from Buchanan this year.
Post Fri Jul 25, 2014 2:39 pm 
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

Flint community activist Quincy Murphy joins race for 34th District state House seat

on March 14, 2014 at 2:30 PM, updated March 14, 2014 at 2:33 PM

FLINT, MI -- Another Democratic candidate has thrown his name in the hat for the 34th District state House seat.

The 34th District race has seen a lot of attraction so far this year, as the seat will be vacant at the end of the year with no incumbent running. State Rep. Woodrow Stanley currently represents the 34th District, but will reach his term limit at the end of the year.

Quincy Murphy, 40, of Flint was recently added to the list of people running for the seat.

Murphy, a lifetime Flint resident, is the executive director of Urban Transformation Development, a nonprofit that works on community development projects on Flint's North Side. The organization was formerly known as the Garfield-Bunche Community Service Corporation.

The group most recently was known for wanting to purchase a closed school on Flint's north side.

“I am sick and tired of being sick and tired,” Murphy, who is running at a Democrat, said in a written statement. “We need someone who will fight for our community.”

A primary election will take place in August with general elections in November.

According to the Genesee County Election Division website, so far three other candidates have filed to run for 34th District seat.

Genesee County commissioner Omar Sims, Flint School Board member David Davenport and Sixth Ward Flint City Councilman Sheldon Neeley have also filed.

Jeff Bean, a Flint teacher, also announced his campaign for the seat.

The filing deadline for the August primary is April 22.
Post Fri Jul 25, 2014 2:46 pm 
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

Flint teacher, Jeff Bean, announces his campaign for 34th District House seat

on February 18, 2014 at 10:00 AM, updated February 18, 2014 at 1:15 PM

FLINT, MI -- Jeff Bean, a Flint teacher, recently announced his campaign to run for the 34th District state House seat.

The seat will be up for grabs at the end of the year after State Rep. Woodrow Stanley reaches his term limit.

Genesee County commissioner Omar Sims, Flint School Board member David Davenport and Sixth Ward Flint City Councilman Sheldon Neeley have also announced they intend to be on the ballot for the August primary.

Bean, 58, of Flint has worked for Flint Schools for the last 22 years and helped start the International Baccalaureate Program for Flint Schools.

"I have taught for the last 22 years in the Flint Community Schools and have had the chance to work with some absolutely amazing young people and their parents," Bean said in his campaign announcement. "While the leadership in the past little while may have been shaky, the current superintendent is more than capable of turning this system around. I want to give him as much help in that as I can."

The deadline to file to run for the August primary is April 22. A general election would take place Nov. 4.

"As a teacher I can see the potential in things. I want to take that to Lansing, along with a commitment to build coalitions that can begin to give back the control of this State to the people that made it great, the middle class," Bean wrote in his announcement.
Post Fri Jul 25, 2014 2:50 pm 
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

Yard signs still available!

WWW.morrish4michiganstaterep.com

Two weeks from today voters in the 34th district will vote for our current career politicians or will voice a change! Please stand with Morrish for that change! Yard signs still available! WWW.morrish4michiganstaterep.com

•Dedicated to a tougher fight on Crime in the City of Flint.

•Dedicated to a better Education System for Flint, by reinstating the $1 Billion Dollars that was cut.

•Dedicated to Equality for ALL, including marriage.

•Dedicated to finding a long term solution to road repairs

•Dedicated to Repeal the Emergency Manager Law

•Dedicated to Repeal the Right to Work Law

•Dedicated to giving the residents of the 34th district a long overdue voice in Lansing.

This race is not a popularity contest or a status grower for me. This race is about representing US as voters in the 34th district. I am not a career politician. I am a concerned citizen, who has sat back and watched many of my opponents waste tax payers dollars, watched my opponents lose control of our city and it’s time for a new face in Flint Politics. Please stand with me on August 5th and vote Nathan R. Morrish, Democrat Candidate for Michigan’s 34th House of Representatives.
Post Fri Jul 25, 2014 5:23 pm 
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

Why I am the BEST choice for change.

My name is Nathan R. Morrish. I currently am employed with the National Association of Government Employees and International Association of EMT’s and Paramedics as a National Representative. My territory includes Michigan, Illinois, Wisconsin, and Minnesota. I also am an Emergency Medical Technician for Lapeer County EMS.

I have served on the LakeVille Community Schools Board of Education, spent many years planning and organizing a local community festival for the Village of Columbiaville, after the death of a son, started and co-chartered a Compassionate Friends Chapter for grieving parents, served as a Community At Large Member for the Flint Civil Service Commission under the direction of Edward Parker, spent endless hours fundraising for the American Cancer Society’s Relay for Life, spent many years coaching elementary and middle school soccer teams, teach community American Heart Association CPR classes, actively involved in the Mott Park Neighborhood Association Neat Street Project, Fundraise for The Special Olympics via the Annual Polar Plunge, Annual Shop with a Hero program for my employer at Christmas time and former Medical Examiner Investigator for STAT EMS and Genesee County ME Brian Hunter.

Issues that I find important to this district are a review and/or repeal of multiple bills that Governor Snyder forced, including the "Right to Work" law, the Emergency Manager Law, seeing that the City of Flint is removed from the “Worst Cities in America” list by aggressively fighting crime by adding state resources to put more officers on the streets, forcing tougher penalties and sentences for those who choose to break the law. I want to address the over crowding situation in our county jail, and making room for more criminals. I want to make Flint a community where people want to come live and work by seeing crime rates drop and criminals off the streets.

I want to see the State of Michigan quit wasting money on the Marriage Equality issue. Those pushing this issue are basing their decision to continue to waste tax payers dollars based on a vote where people were confused by the ballot language a decade ago. I believe all people deserve happiness and to be provided with equal rights.

I want to see a focus and state support to make Flint Community Schools a place for our students to grow. I want to see education as a priority. Our schools are responsible for teaching our students who are our economic future, and the better education we offer, the better our economic future will be. As Mark Schauer states…”Our Students Deserve a World Class Education”. I want to see dollars the Snyder administration eliminated from schools returned. I want to see quality education as a goal of our instructors. I want to see that EVERY student succeeds in their every dream. I also want a review of the hardest hit school districts to evaluate to make sure the State is observing those tax bases and the losses they are suffering.
Post Fri Jul 25, 2014 5:28 pm 
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

This is an impressive website and it contains a link to the voter's guide to the election.
Post Fri Jul 25, 2014 5:33 pm 
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

AC Dumas on Facebook
. Dumas has it right and he clearly understands the issues.
Dumas

Yesterday at 2:54am ·

Clearly, Councilman Sheldon Neeley is the "People's Choice" to represent the Democratic Michigan 34th District State Representative! The 70% African American District should choose our Representative that has been there with us! One that has fought for and with us in the heat of the battle! The Flint Journal is using the "Divide and Conquer"! There are 6 African Americans in this race, and each will take votes from each other. The white community has their horse in the race, Jeff Bean and that's who they're going to support! I've talked to several of the African American candidates to get out of the race, but ego and false pride will not allow them to do so! The polls show that Neeley has a 11 point lead over Bean. Yes, Bean is in 2nd place in a 70% Black District. You figure it out! I know you're asking the question, "what's going on in Flint with Black folk"? This seat is the ONLY Genesee County seat that has an African American in Lansing, and it's in jeopardy to be lost to a white candidate. The polls show that Sims is in a "distance" 3rd place, and the other candidates are at the bottom. Sims can't make up the ground to win. So, we must "ALL" unite behind Neeley to save the only African American seat in Genesee County up in Lansing! On August 5th vote for Neeley! Call your relatives and friends and encourage them to vote for Councilman Sheldon Neeley for the Democratic Michigan 34th District State Representative seat! And yes, I approved this message!
Post Tue Jul 29, 2014 7:21 am 
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

Listen to the AC Dumas next Saturday as he will be discussing this race. Wflt 1420 at 9:30 AM.
Post Tue Jul 29, 2014 2:38 pm 
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

AC Dumas

The endorsements from the Flint Journal and the Chamber of Commerce for OMAR SIMS is more of an indictment then endorsement! Our tax dollars have went to the Uptown Group, Flint Journal, Farmer's Market and other downtown businesses for development! Our neighborhoods look like war zones, including Sims' district! The Emergency Manager sold the Genesee Towers Building for $1.00 to Uptown, while the taxpayers of Flint are being levy on our property taxes hundreds of dollars to settle a lawsuit! The building was then demolished using $1 million of federal dollars for demolition that was earmarked for neighborhood demolition! By the wsy, the Flint Journal doesn't pay taxes, neither does many of the DOWNTOWN businesses! Omar Sims are their "poster child" who will have blind legions to them. That's another reason why I'm supporting Councilman Sheldon Neeley for State Representative! He will not sell the people out and will fight for us in Lansing! Some endorsements are the "kiss of death" from some special interest groups! What's your thoughts?
Post Tue Jul 29, 2014 3:16 pm 

Jump to:  
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Last Topic | Next Topic  >

Forum Rules: