FAQFAQ   SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlistRegisterRegister  ProfileProfile   Log in[ Log in ]  Flint Talk RSSFlint Talk RSS

»Home »Open Chat »Political Talk  Â»Flint Journal »Political Jokes »The Bob Leonard Show  

Flint Michigan online news magazine. We have lively web forums

FlintTalk.com Forum Index > Political Talk

Topic: King 810-representing Flint's hard hitting metal core
Goto page Previous  1, 2
  Author    Post Post new topic Reply to topic
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

Notorious King 810 reflects violent truth of living in Flint
Adam Graham
Detroit News Pop Music Writer
King 810 will release its debut album, 'Memoirs of a Murderer,' on Aug. 19. (Jeremy Deputat)
For David Gunn, lead singer for Flint metal band King 810, inspiration came in the form of a gunshot.

Formed about six years ago, King 810 built a strong local following with its aggressive live shows. The band released only one EP of recorded material, 2012’s “Midwest Monsters,” which Gunn didn’t feel was representative of the band.

Then Gunn got shot in Flint during an attempted robbery, which became a turning point for him and King 810.

“I got shot, and along with it, I realized we weren’t making music that represented how life was like where we were from,” says Gunn, on the phone from Oregon, between tour stops. “It wasn’t a true representation, as far as how vivid it was. It was kind of vague and poetic and metaphorical, and I realized it was getting lost on a lot of people. So when that happened, I just wanted to make people understand it, make it more cohesive and digestible for people to get exactly what we’re saying and doing.”

What King 810 is saying and doing is holding up a mirror to the violent reality of life in Flint. In a way, the foursome — which performs Thursday at DTE Energy Music Theatre as part of the Rockstar Energy Drink Mayhem Festival — is doing for Flint what N.W.A. did for Compton, Calif., holding a light up to their city’s harsh realities for all to see. “It’s a shame how we’ve gotta live this way,” Gunn growls on the group’s new single, “Fat Around the Heart.” “Your nightmares ain’t got nothing on this place.”

The band made waves at May’s Rock on the Range festival by playing while guys carrying assault rifles (the guns were fake, but they sure looked real) stood menacingly on stage. For many, the performance marked King 810’s arrival on the hard rock scene, and since then, the group has made headlines for canceling a UK performance after Gunn and King 810 bassist Eugene Gill were arrested on charges stemming from a 2013 assault.

The incident only bolstered King 810’s notorious reputation and fits squarely within the group’s dangerous image. The band’s mission continues with the Aug. 19 release of the group’s debut album, “Memoirs of a Murderer,” on Roadrunner Records.

“It’s a memoir. It’s my own first person account of life,” says Gunn, 28, who was born and raised in Flint, home of the 810 area code. “It’s ultimately a love story. The first part has a lot of face value things that people think when they first hear King — that gritty, urban, violent, aggressive thing, but there’s a loyalty and brotherhood and camaraderie theme through all of that. The second part moves to a male-female relationship, and the third one moves into an abstract kind of love.”

Gunn, who along with the rest of the band (and many of its fans) sports an 810 tattoo on his shin, says he already feels the album will be harshly received.

“People are going to be put off by the dynamic of the record,” he says, noting it has more textures than people are ready to accept from the group. Still, “I feel like you’re going to get blow back no matter what you do, that’s just how it seems like it’s going to be. In this day and age you can’t expect to please everyone.”

But Gunn and the group are pleased with the album and are ready for people to hear where they’re coming from.

“It’s not the CD people wanted us to make. It’s not safe, it’s not a surefire thing,” he says. “It’s crazy. But it’s what we wanted to make. It’s real, and it comes from a real place, and it’s going to resonate with the people that it’s supposed to resonate with. You can feel and understand that this comes from somewhere unusual.”

Rockstar Energy Drink Mayhem Festivalwith Avenged Sevenfold, Korn, Asking Alexandria, Trivium, Cannibal Corpse, Suicide Silence, Body Count, Miss May I, Emmure, Mushroomhead, Texas Hippie Coalition, Veil of Maya, Upon a Burning Body, Darkest Hour, Ill Nino, Wretched, Islander, King 810 and Erimha

1 p.m. Thursday

DTE Energy Music Theatre

7774 Sashabaw, Clarkston

Tickets $24-$100

(248) 377-0100

ticketmaster.com

agraham@detroitnews.com
twitter.com/grahamorama

From The Detroit News: http://www.detroitnews.com/article/20140715/ENT04/307150008#ixzz37a2jZvPA
Post Tue Jul 15, 2014 5:57 pm 
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

KING 810

Yesterday at 11:40am · Edited ·

Pics from Mayhem Festival/ Detroit by Flint's own Banana 101.5

http://banana1015.com/king-810-mayhem-festival-2014-pics/

Photos credit: Mintypics

King 810 – Mayhem Festival 2014 [PICS]

King 810 was the standout band to me at this year's Rockstar Energy Drink Mayhem Festival. Now maybe I'm a little biased because they are from Flint and I

banana1015.com
Post Mon Jul 21, 2014 12:31 pm 
angelinareese
F L I N T O I D

Music probably also involve complex generative forms in time through the construction of combinations of natural stimuli, principally sound. Mp3 Music may be used for artistic or aesthetic, communicative, entertainment, or ceremonial purposes.
Post Tue Mar 17, 2015 6:29 am 
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website  Reply with quote  

Jump to:  
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Last Topic | Next Topic  >

Forum Rules: