FAQFAQ   SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlistRegisterRegister  ProfileProfile   Log in[ Log in ]  Flint Talk RSSFlint Talk RSS

»Home »Open Chat »Political Talk  Â»Flint Journal »Political Jokes »The Bob Leonard Show  

Flint Michigan online news magazine. We have lively web forums

FlintTalk.com Forum Index > Political Talk

Topic: Will downtown Flint succeed?
Goto page Previous  1, 2
  Author    Post Post new topic Reply to topic
stevemintline
F L I N T O I D

quote:
untanglingwebs schreef:
Could be this fear of failure be the driving force for the seemingly desperate move to give Shaltz the $100,000 no-bid, six month contract? Word around Flint is the downtown is not faring all that well in the evenings.

Wise Guys pizza closed because there was not enough evening traffic. The restaurant reviews of Blackstone's was mixed, but mostly negative. The largest criticism was over staff, however any reviews criticized the food and the prices

I live downtown. Traffic in the evening is as heavy as it's ever been. Wize Guys closed to expand 501 (because 501 brings in more traffic), and the expanded seating area there is packed on weekends and busy many other nights.

Come on down and check it out rather than waiting for "word around Flint" to make your determinations on what things look like.

Blackstone's has seen a lot of turnover with staff and this is the best it's been there in a couple of years. The food is the best it's been in that time, as well. For quite a while I stayed away from Blackstone's due to the lack of quality in food and service but I'm there for dinner once a week again.
Post Mon Mar 31, 2014 1:23 pm 
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

The media reported that Wise Guys closed because of low evening trade. That was from the owners. Their tax breaks will end soon.
Post Mon Mar 31, 2014 7:41 pm 
twotap
F L I N T O I D

http://www.crimemapping.com/map/mi/flint

Post Wed Apr 02, 2014 8:00 am 
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

MICHIGAN TIMES

From WizeGuy’s Pizza to 501 Bar and Grill
Published 02/24/14 8:28pm
photo_4

By Caleb Bullen
WizeGuy’s Pizza, maybe one of the best places to have a slice of an American classic dish, pizza, has been out of business since March 17, 2013 in order to make room for the expansion of their sister company 501 Bar and Grill.

The decision to eliminate their well-liked pizza business was a result of economic issues; although they offered delicious options they did not have enough customers during the week and they staffed too many employees, these factors as well as others contributed to high cost but not enough profit.

Investors, such as Phil Shaltz, made a tough decision that something had to be done in order to fix the problem faced with WizeGuys and accommodate the increase in demand for seating and private parties at 501.

The new 501 Bar and Grill used the space provided by their neighbor to add new furniture and completely private dining due to a curtain that separates the left and right side of the restaurant: this new addition even can fit 50 to 60 people.

But the question that arises is, was this a good idea for the business?

Shannon Smith, an avid and regular WizeGuys customer, said, “ Although they had great pizza closing was the right choice economically because it did not seem like they were getting enough business to survive, however, I personally enjoyed their pizza and wished they stayed in business.”

Lauren Goslee, manager and employee for several years, said, “It was an investor decision because even though WizeGuys was getting business during lunch…it was too slow for dinner, 501 using that side of the restaurant was, financially, a better decision.”

“It has absolutely benefitted because we now have the availability to rent out the former WizeGuy’s side of the restaurant for private dining, birthday parties, surprise parties, baby showers, and all kinds of things,” said Goslee.

Hopefully, the decision of the investors to close WizeGuy’s Pizza will continue to help 501 Bar and Grill in the future and further stimulate Flint’s economy for the better.

Caleb can be reached at cbullen@umflint.edu or on Twitter @bullencaleb
Post Thu Apr 03, 2014 8:06 am 

Jump to:  
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Last Topic | Next Topic  >

Forum Rules: