FAQFAQ   SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlistRegisterRegister  ProfileProfile   Log in[ Log in ]  Flint Talk RSSFlint Talk RSS

»Home »Open Chat »Political Talk  Â»Flint Journal »Political Jokes »The Bob Leonard Show  

Flint Michigan online news magazine. We have lively web forums

FlintTalk.com Forum Index > Political Talk

Topic: Thanks Earley-Council needs the training!

Author    Post Post new topic Reply to topic
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

Flint City Council headed back to school for leadership lessons
Dominic Adams | dadams5@mlive.com By Dominic Adams | dadams5@mlive.com
Follow on Twitter
on March 10, 2014 at 6:00 AM, updated March 10, 2014 at 8:01 AM

FLINT, MI – The Flint City Council will go back to school Wednesday, March 12, in an effort to learn how to be effective leaders.

Emergency Manager Darnell Earley mandated all nine council members attend the training about parliamentary procedures and code of ethics from 4:30 p.m. to 7:30 p.m. at Flint City Hall. The Michigan Municipal League will host the training.

“This is an ongoing effort to build upon the things that we’ve done in reengaging the council,” Earley said. “Those discussions are part in parcel to where we ultimately want to be when we say to the governor or to treasury that the governance point of my (transition) plan has been addressed and we feel confident that they (council) understands the gravity of their responsibilities, they take them seriously and they’re doing everything they can to operate as effectively and efficiently as good stewards of the public trust.”

Earley did not say if the sessions will be open to the public.

The training will come less than a week after Earley issued an order limiting members comments at the end of council meetings to five minutes -- restrictions Earley said were ordered to ensure there is good use of council meeting time while conducting the business of the city.

This will be the second round of training for the council since Earley took over as emergency manager in October, 2013.

Council members received a crash course in city government during an orientation in December.

“I don’t have any problem with it, especially when half of us are new to council,” said Eighth Ward Councilwoman Vicki VanBuren. “I look at it as a way to increase our skills, a way to be more effective and how to work together.”

VanBuren is one of four new council members elected in 2012.

“I think the lack of knowledge would hurt us more,” she said. “I’m looking forward to learning from the experts. I want to learn from the experts. I want to learn from those who know how to get the job done.”

Council President Scott Kincaid said the budget for council training was eliminated when former Mayor Don Williamson was elected.

Kincaid believes city council meetings have been conducted properly in the past but is open to the training.

“Government changes all the time and to learn about changes in government makes you a better elected official,” he said.

Fifth Ward Councilman Wantwaz Davis said Wednesday’s exercise will allow the public to keep elected officials on the hook.

“The only way you can make people accountable is that you should make sure a person is properly trained,” he said. “I’ve taken the initiative to be very attentive and receptive on governance and what it is we need to do in order to move this city forward and in the near future move into financial solvency.”

Parliamentary procedure education is one of the most-requested on-site training sessions the MML offers, according to its website.

“There has been a lack of understanding with parliamentary procedure,” said First Ward Councilman Eric Mays. “I think this is a necessary thing and it will help in the orderly flow.”

Dominic Adams is a reporter for The Flint Journal. Contact him at dadams5@mlive.com or 810-241-8803. Follow him on Twitter, Facebook or Google+.
Post Mon Mar 10, 2014 10:15 am 
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

“There has been a lack of understanding with parliamentary procedure,” said First Ward Councilman Eric Mays. “I think this is a necessary thing and it will help in the orderly flow.”

The way I see it is that Mays has the lack of understanding of true Parliamentary procedure or he just doesn't want to show any respect to his fellow council members and the residents.
Post Mon Mar 10, 2014 10:19 am 
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

Kincaid needs to take a stronger leadership role and rein in Mays. Can you imagine if Mays had been made President? Total chaos would have reigned.
Post Thu Mar 13, 2014 6:08 am 

Jump to:  

Last Topic | Next Topic  >

Forum Rules: