FAQFAQ   SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlistRegisterRegister  ProfileProfile   Log in[ Log in ]  Flint Talk RSSFlint Talk RSS

»Home »Open Chat »Political Talk  Â»Flint Journal »Political Jokes »The Bob Leonard Show  

Flint Michigan online news magazine. We have lively web forums

FlintTalk.com Forum Index > Political Talk

Topic: Gentrification & HUD misuse in Flint

Author    Post Post new topic Reply to topic
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

Guest view: Flint water deal highlights need for more transparency

MLive/Flint Journal opinion By MLive/Flint Journal opinion
on August 13, 2013 at 3:00 AM

By Flint City Councilman Bryant Nolden

Gentrification is the "restoration of run-down urban areas by the middle class (resulting in the displacement of low-income residents)." As residential shifts continue to emerge, urban planning and other phenomena affect the composition of poor neighborhoods. This is what I see happening in the city of Flint. A prerequisite of urban gentrification is the deposing of poor residents of a neighborhood who are uprooted because they are unable to pay increased rents, property taxes or exorbitant water bills.

As a Flint city councilman, I have observed residents incur increased rates for city services that have not yet been provided. The clandestine shift to a regional form of government in which the city of Flint could lose control of some of its greatest assets is tyrannical. As an example, the water plant is the city’s greatest asset, with a value in hundreds of millions, if not billions of dollars, and could now be headed for the auction block as a result of this shift. Flint’s water asset can be traced back to incorporation of the city in 1855.

The Flint City Council voted 8-1 to move to the Karegnondi Water Authority (KWA) for Flint’s water services. I was the lone “no” vote. The vote was based, in my opinion, on a substantial number of half-truths. During negotiations, the city council was told the Flint River was not a viable option. Secondly, that the Department of Environmental Quality (DEQ) would not approve the use of the Flint River. Thirdly, the quality of the water would not be up to par, and finally, that there was no money for upgrades to the Flint Water Plant.

After the city of Flint received approval from the state to go with KWA, the city of Detroit (our current water supplier) sent a termination letter, effective April 14, 2014. That is when the city of Flint decided they should use the Flint River as a water source, exposing the half-truths I alluded to above. Improvements have been taking place at the Water Plant since the letter arrived. The city received approval from the DEQ to run the plant for three weeks in late July. This is the first step in using the Flint River during the construction of the pipeline, two years or more down the road.

This shows the lack of transparency we have with our emergency managers. I am an elected official. However, information I should receive in a timely manner is often given at the last minute. This lack of transparency is an additional byproduct of gentrification — an assault on democracy. It is shameful and disrespectful, because the emergency manager expects us, the duly elected officials, to make decisions on the spot based on what we’re told. I will not be a party to these types of shenanigans. I like to research and read things for myself before making a decision, like any thinking person would.

The 3rd Ward is the largest in the city of Flint, with very diverse neighborhoods – far north end, east side and Rollingwood areas. However, they all have one thing in common – lack of basic city services (e.g. police, fire services, street lights and grass cutting).

I would like to pose a question to the residents of this community in hopes it will spark this difficult conversation. When will we see some relief for the seniors on fixed incomes who have to choose between paying the water bill or buying food? If you estimate the additional taxes and fees residents are paying since the takeover, you can surmise the devastating effect this has on seniors and others on fixed incomes.

It is my hope that this letter would start a conversation in the community that leads to more transparency and, hopefully, slows this movement towards urban gentrification in the city of Flint.

Bryant Nolden is a Flint City Council member, representing the 3rd Ward. You can contact him at 810-397-3193 or bnolden@cityofflint.com.

Last edited by untanglingwebs on Fri Dec 12, 2014 1:49 pm; edited 1 time in total
Post Fri Jan 17, 2014 7:52 am 
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

The option to use the Flint River permanently is not a satisfactory solution There must be a secondary water source. Also industry needs large amount of water, and the Flint River is unable to meet those requirements. And what about times of drought? Karegondi is a solution to our water needs. In the future there may be more agreements between Great Lakes states to limit even more the water amounts that can be taken from the Great Lakes.

We only need to look at the communities where fracking has destroyed their water or takes so much of the water, the residents have none. And look at the residents who recently had their water poisoned by a company associated with the Koch Brothers. They tried to plug a lead with a cinder block and a bag of material they hoped would absorb the spill. The leak may have occurred for weeks and sickened many. Pregnant women are seriously at risk.

The state found misuse of funds which led to the depletion of the water and sewer funds. Yet there were no legal actions against anyone who used these funds illegally.

Even worse, the state authorized plans to increase water and sewer rates to offset the deficits created by these improper acts. Having built up these funds, they now want to borrow from them to eliminate even more deficits.
Post Fri Jan 17, 2014 8:06 am 
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

I agree with Nolden on the gentrification issue. Despite bringing in the top experts in housing, Flint embarked on a plan that developed only downtown and a 2 mile radius of downtown. Money that could have prevented foreclosures was used for other things.

Housing values are expected to decline at least until next year. Even the college cultural area is seeing serious decline in property values, although some may be rising.

One only needs to look at this years list of upcoming foreclosures to realize that the poor and minorities are being driven out. I have spoken to landlords who are either trying to unload their Flint properties or they selectively abandoning them. They have even offered to give some of the less profitable away, such as a small 2 bedroom. They cite the high water affidavit costs ($450) , high rental inspection fees, vandalism and high remodeling license fees as some of their reasons.

Agencies helping with water bills can no longer put a hold on disconnections while they come up with the money to pay the bills. Many agencies are just tapped out of money period and can't even offer to help water clients.
Post Fri Jan 17, 2014 8:19 am 
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

The cost of living in Flint for a homeowner is increasing. Home values have bottomed out, so the city hits the residents with special assessments for lights and trash. Despite these increased costs, services have essentially declined WJRT TV 12has reported that weeks after the storms, some neighborhoods have not been shoveled out. The Journal reported that Uptown's Shaltz worked to put Mike Brown in place to be first City Manager and later the Emergency Manager.

Brown had too many conflicts-of-interest. His nonprofit FARO became part of Prima Civitas and received some funding from the Mott Foundation. He tied city government to unofficial, unelected, and unpaid community members. People are still asking what role Duane Miller, a Vice president of Tim Herman's Chamber of Commerce, played in the Brown EM tenure. .When Kurtz came in during the Rutherford Administration, he threw all of the volunteers out. Brown brought all of his buddies, mostly unqualified, into the City Hall.
Post Fri Jan 17, 2014 8:31 am 
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

The so-called Master Plan is used as a reason to invest in Flint by the federal government. Planner Megan Hunter told north end residents the developments in their neighborhoods were 20 to 30 years away. Only the core downtown area is being developed.

High upcoming foreclosure rates are being shown for areas already decimated by abandonment. The East side is on it's way to becoming agricultural. The north end has even new areas facing high abandonment as does the south side. This should be telling the state their planned gentrification is working. Their future plans will have lots of cheap land available for their projects.
Post Fri Jan 17, 2014 8:42 am 
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

Previous housing plans were ill-conceived and poorly planned. University Park has been hit with a number of foreclosures although the residents are struggling to keep it together. Hard to do when property values are half what they paid for their homes. The effort to clean up the housing complexes around Doyle Ryder are helping to cut the violence.

Salem Housing got the city cited with numerous HUD violations, often linked to their outrageous cost overruns created by poor renovation selections and failures to follow HUD rules. It did nor help that some city officials facilitated these issues. Salem was warned about cost overruns in their work with homeowner occupied housing in Smith Village and were advised not to start new projects. They disregarded thee notices and embarked on a vigorous plan that lacked the money to finance. The city, for whatever reason, went ahead when they knew the money was not there. HUD ordered completion of some of these projects by Salem with money from Salem. The poor quality work had homeowners going to council to complain and both the Journal and the television stations reported the stories.

Salem has a number of homes they couldn't sell, like the home on Pontiac. This renovated home has been for sale over two years and they renovated more in the same area. This area called Metawaneenee Hills has 4 to 6 upcoming foreclosures on each of the surrounding streets. Blocks usually have about 20 homes per block. Seminole and Euclid each are short streets and each has many pending foreclosures in the block south of Welch. Welch Blvd. is also plagued with foreclosures. This dos not count the homes already abandoned and demolished in the blocks south to Mackin.

Smith Village is still a money pit.
Post Fri Jan 17, 2014 9:03 am 
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

Washington Post

* redevelopment helps the rich more

Most in D.C. say neighborhoods are better, but many say redevelopment helps the rich more

By Marc Fisher, Published: January 18

In Bloomingdale, a sliver of a neighborhood in the center of Washington, Murry’s Steaks became a yoga studio, the check-cashing place transformed into a Thai-Japanese eatery, and the liquor store finally opened up the bulletproof plexiglass that separated customers and merchants.

But 10 weeks before the D.C. mayoral primary, it’s hard to find anyone in Bloomingdale who credits — or blames — Mayor Vincent C. Gray for the wholesale remake of the neighborhood, or for the broader economic boom across much of the city.

Stuart Davenport, who moved to the neighborhood a decade ago uneasy about being the rare white guy in an overwhelmingly black area, says the transformation came about when new residents decided to invest in their adopted home, opening businesses, helping police catch street thugs, and banding together across racial and class lines to open a farmers market where crack dealers once gathered.

Michelle McKenzie, who opened a storefront church that has drawn black congregants in an increasingly white part of town, says the demographic shift is the result of The Plan, a decades-old staple of District folklore — a purported drive by powerful white interests to reclaim the city from its long-standing black majority. Some mayors supported The Plan, McKenzie says, and others fought it but without making much difference. “The Plan is The Plan,” she says.

And Victor Metonou, an immigrant from Benin who opened a braiding shop on First Street NW back when Bloomingdale “was all black and customers would walk in all the time,” now finds himself across from a red-hot retail strip, where the Red Hen restaurant offers seared veal sweetbreads with fried egg, pea shoots, bacon and soft polenta. The neighborhood is safer, cleaner and nicer, he says, but for whom? Is it even possible to create a more prosperous city while also protecting people with less? Metonou doesn’t think politicians have much sway over gentrification; he knows only that he may not be able to afford to stay.

Across the District, residents see many neighborhoods thriving as they haven’t in decades, but depending on their income and race, Washingtonians often see that boom benefiting different groups. What many residents do agree on is that the city’s mayor and other elected officials have little ability to ensure that the new prosperity will lift all boats.

Whether Bloomingdale’s new economic reality — house prices have tripled on some blocks over the past decade — is a result of city policy, a cultural shift toward urban centers or the District’s relatively solid job market even through the recession, Washingtonians of all incomes, races and ages agree that their neighborhood is a good place to live.

In a new Washington Post poll, a majority of D.C. residents say their neighborhood has gotten better in recent years — the first time in 26 years of polling that a majority has expressed such optimism. But there is also broad consensus that the city’s surging population, rising affluence and diminished crime are ultimately good for people with money and of little benefit to those without.

After a decade of frenetic demographic change — the population of Bloomingdale’s Zip code, 20001, went from 6 percent white in 2000 to 33 percent white in 2010 — Washingtonians’ views about gentrification are polarized along racial and economic lines: Among whites, 77 percent say redevelopment has been a good thing, but 53 percent of blacks say it has not. Large majorities hail gentrification’s impact in five of the city’s eight wards; only in Wards 7 and 8, east of the Anacostia River, do most people say the changes have been for the worse (Ward 4 is split). Those making $65,000 and more embrace gentrification overwhelmingly; the lowest-income residents decidedly do not.

‘It was cheap’

In a dark but cozy little bar under a Rhode Island Avenue rowhouse, Paul Vivari has created a new community in Bloomingdale. His Showtime Lounge retained the name of the barbershop that preceded him in the space (he even kept the lettering on the window, complete with misspelling: “Walk-Ins Welome”). The bar’s deep-tracks R&B jukebox draws young white hipsters and longtime black residents alike; the $5 beer-and-a-shot special doesn’t hurt.

Vivari, 30, lived upstairs for five years before opening his own business. He moved to the neighborhood “because nothing was going on here, and it was cheap,” he says. He’d lived in Mount Pleasant before, watched as U Street gentrified, then followed the redevelopment eastward.

One day, he came downstairs to see a For Lease sign on the barbershop. He called the landlady right away.

Showtime has been busy since its May opening, but its owner worries about whether he’ll be able to stay in the neighborhood he’s helped turn into a magnet. Three years ago, when he thought about buying his own house, prices were already too steep — half a million, easy. Now, those same houses go for $750,000.

“Once you see the joggers and baby strollers, the neighborhood’s changed,” he says. “Now the question is, where does it stop? If everyone flees because it’s getting too expensive, it becomes another U Street.”

Vivari says Gray didn’t help Bloomingdale blossom; the bar owner had to hire expeditors “and run a shadow campaign of my own” to have a prayer of getting permits from the city’s legendarily difficult bureaucracy.

“I would love to have a real honest mayor who changes things around, but I’m not going to hold my breath,” Vivari says. He hasn’t settled on an alternative to Gray (D), whom he sees as disqualified by the scandals suffusing his 2010 campaign. He views Ward 6 council member Tommy Wells (D) as “the hot new candidate, just like they said about [former mayor Adrian M.] Fenty when he ran.”

In his 2010 campaign, Gray promised to “use every tool that’s available to the city government to be able to maintain a diverse population. . . . We want to make sure people don’t feel pushed out.”

Last month, meeting with black ministers concerned about the impact of gentrification, the mayor repeated that desire and said he plans to help low-income families stay in Washington by investing $187 million in ­affordable-housing initiatives.

If residents credit any mayor with sparking Bloomingdale’s revival, it’s Anthony A. Williams, who set a goal a decade ago of increasing Washington’s population by 100,000 people — a notion that seemed utopian and unattainable. But the D.C. population has leapt by 83,000 since then, led by young people flocking to places such as Bloomingdale.

“We just wanted to restore the city,” says Williams, now chief executive of the nonprofit Federal City Council. “You needed to bring more people in to improve the revenue picture, improve the downtown and the commercial areas, because you’ve got to have the funds to provide services to those in need.” New revenue allowed Williams to invest in his signature programs — mixed-income housing developments in troubled areas on both sides of the Anacostia.

The former mayor gets impatient with those who say gentrification benefits only the rich. “The research shows that a neighborhood with new investment is a neighborhood that provides role models and benefits all residents,” he says. “When I’m on the X2 bus crosstown now, I see a range of incomes. When the mothers on the bus point me out to their kids as the ex-mayor, I’m a role model. How is that not good? How is it not good to have a mix of people in neighborhoods? I’m not getting that.”

To stay or go

“No matter what they take from me, they can’t take away my dignity.” A clarion soprano, a member of World Missions for Christ Church, belts out the Whitney Houston anthem “Greatest Love of All” through the open door at Randolph Place and First Street NW. For 29 years, JoAnn Perkins’s church has salved the neighborhood with music, prayer and charity giveaways.

Until recently, Perkins says, “the folk in the community were actually the recipients of the toys and the turkey giveaway.” But lately, the people who come for edible and spiritual sustenance are traveling from the city’s outskirts.

“We love Bloomingdale, but our mission is to help people who need the resources,” Perkins says. She is grateful that the new restaurants and bars collect and donate toys, and she’s pleased that affluent newcomers stop by to offer help. But she wonders whether it makes sense to be where her services are no longer so essential.

Perkins wishes the city had found ways to let low-income residents stay where they’ve always lived, but she sees larger economic forces at work, forces beyond the control of a mayor. “It’s all the people’s obligation to equalize the playing field,” she says. “As for Vincent Gray, well, let’s just say he’s a work in progress.”

Michelle McKenzie shares Perkins’s predicament — the African American members of her storefront church increasingly live elsewhere — but doesn’t share Perkins’s diplomatic take on the mayor. In the year she’s been inviting people into her Messianic Covenant Church, McKenzie has met many black residents who say rising rents and taxes are pushing them out to Prince George’s County.

“Mayor Williams put things in motion according to The Plan, because this is the nation’s capital and it shouldn’t look so poor,” McKenzie says. “Vincent Gray may have tried to be more fair, but he wasn’t successful. He just let The Plan continue. So I don’t know who to vote for.”

Neither does Stuart Davenport, who moved from upper Northwest to Bloomingdale a decade ago and now lives above Big Bear Cafe, the coffeehouse he opened in 2007.

The homey cafe, full of young people hunched over their laptops and older residents who use the place as a social hall, is blessedly free of the tensions that Talha Jalal, 25, a new Bloomingdale resident, has felt between young, college-educated professionals and lower-income, longtime residents. Such tensions arise, he says, because government failed to intervene on behalf of “the people who are pushed out. Who is taking care of those moving out?”

The Post poll found blacks and whites agreeing that city residents are divided — but more by income than by race.

Davenport, 40, worries that his employees and customers may not be able to stick around if housing prices keep soaring. “The change is happening so fast, I just wonder if anyone can be in charge of it,” he says. “This neighborhood’s always been in transition. This store was a Jewish Italian corner store originally, and then it was Korean.”

But the transition to affluence left “a lot of the black residents feeling like, ‘Why should I stay when it’s not my neighborhood anymore?’ ” he says. “At first, there was a lot of anger, especially around the time Gray was elected. People felt they were losing something, and Fenty wasn’t doing anything to help.”

“But what can a mayor do?” Davenport wonders. “Do neighborhoods like this have to end up being just for millionaires like in New York? A lot of us moved here because we didn’t want to live in divided places.”

He says Gray has supported small businesses, but “I don’t know what his goals are for the city. Does he want the whole city to look like NoMa or the ballpark and we’ll all live in high-rises over Harris Teeter? What’s the vision?”

Scott Clement, Peyton M. Craighill and Patrick Svitek contributed to this report.
Post Sun Jan 19, 2014 10:59 am 
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

Parts of Smith Village were extremely poor before the project even started. HUD allowed extra money for homeowners for code upgrades and external siding, etc. so that the older houses would not stand out so much.

Unfortunately, the selection criteria was poor and Salem Housing frequently went over the allocated amounts and usually by very significant amounts. A former employee reported the agency to the OIG and findings were the result. Shoddy work by Salem resulted in citizens coming to council with complaints and going to the media. Salem's director had a company with a builders license and Salem tried to use the HUD program as a training program. In some of the homeowner's complaints, they stated they were paid to do work on their homes, a HUD violation. Contractors made allegations of cronyism and attempts to make them reduce their costs. Complaints were made to the then city attorney.

The cost overruns meant fewer houses were completed. That is especially true because some homeowners failed to meet the guidelines or omitted relevant information. In one instance the homeowner was not notified of the renovations to a home for his siblings and the renovations may have caused the house to burn. He also complained about the vintage doors and wood rim being removed from the home and his sister being threatened by the contractor. HUD required Salem complete several homes using Salem funds.

Now after reviewing the remaining properties in the Smith Village Development area, there is a large number of imminent foreclosures for nonpayment of taxes. Is it because the added fees increased the taxes to a level they couldn't pay. High penalties and statutory costs double the amounts due. Were any people aware of poverty exemptions?

If this had been an urban renewal plan, these residents would have been compensated for moving. Instead they are taxed out of the neighborhood.
Post Sun Jan 19, 2014 11:21 am 
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

Resolution EME 632 2014
11-26-2014

BY THE EMERGENCY MANAGER:
Resolution to Cancel Spending Authority and Revenue Recognition in Various
HOME Investment Partnership (HOME) Program Accounts
in the amount of $181,000.00 for Reprogramming Availability

The City awarded HOME Investment Partnership (HOME) funds to Salem Community
Development Corporation for various HOME rehabilitation projects; and
Salem Housing has been unable to fulfill the terms of its contracts and the City has
determined that it would be appropriate to contract with another agency to complete
rehabilitation.

In order to make funds available for future reprogramming, spending authority and revenue recognition needs to be cancelled for the revenue and expense accounts associated with the original activities as identified below. HOME funds from the canceled activities in the amounts specified below are to be transferred to unallocated HOME revenue account

FHOME PRIOR 274-749.104-502.749 and expense account FHOME PRIOR 274-749.104-700.100.
Agency Account No. Cancel amount
HOME
Salem Housing CDC Kingswood FHOMEPRTOR 274-
Rehabilitation, Contract 09-097 749.471.805.327 &
FHOMEPRIOR 274-749.471- $85,000.00
Salem Housing CDC Purchase FHOMEPRIOR 274-
Rehab Resale, Contract 07-075 749.471.805.327 &
FHOMEPRIOR 274-749.471- $6,000.00
Salem Housing CDC Purchase FHOMEPRIOR 274-
Rehab Resale, Contract 09-022 FHOM74E9P.R4I7O1R.820754.3-72479&.471- $90,000.00
TOTAL $181,000.00

The City will leave a balance remaining in each of these accounts in order to reimburse Salem for final pay requests.
IT IS RESOLVED, That the appropriate City Officials are hereby authorized do all things necessary to cancel spending authority and revenue recognition in the expense and revenue accounts previously established and listed herein in order to be made available for future reprogramming to other HOME-eligible activities and established in HOME revenue account

FHOMEPRIOR 274-749.104-502.749 and expense account FHOMEPRIOR 274-749.104-
700.100 ($181,000).
Post Fri Dec 12, 2014 1:42 pm 
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

Resolution EME #621 2014
11-24-2014

RESOLUTION TO AMEND THE CITY OF FLINVS 2014-2015 ACFION PLAN
AND ENTER INTO CONTRACTS WITH VARIOUS AGENCIES.
BY THE EMERGENCY MANAGER:
The City of Flint has identified that $404,600 in uncommitted CDBG funds is available for reprogramming
in account number FHUD15CDBG 274-748.101-502.748 and FHUD15CDBG 274-748.101-700.100; and
The City of Flint has identified that $70,973 in uncommitted HOME funds is available for reprogramming
in account number FHUD15HOME 274-749.104-502.749 and FHUD1SHOME 274-749.104-700.100; and
The City of Flint proposes to reprogram funds and/or enter into contracts with the following agencies for
the following activities in the amounts identified below:
Habitat for Humanity is to receive a CDBC allocation of $378,556.00 for rehabilitation in tipping point
neighborhoods, with funds currently available in revenue account FHUD15CDBG 274-748.502-502.748 and
expense account FHUD15CDBG 274-748.502-805.327; and
The Department of Planning and Development, Parks Division, is to receive a CDBG allocation of $175,000
for trails construction, with funds to be established in revenue account FHUD15CDBG 274-748.219-
502.748 and expense account FHUD15CDBG 274-748.219-805.051; and
The Department of Planning and Development, Planning Division, is to receive a CDBG allocation of
$100,000 to implement a neighborhood mini-grants program, with funds to be established in revenue
account FHUD15CDBG 274-748.207-502.748 and expense account FHUD15CDBG 274-748.207-805.051;
and
Habitat for Humanity is to receive a CDBG allocation of $60,000 to implement a neighborhood
beautification/toolshed program, with funds to be established in revenue account FHUD15CDBG 274-
748.502-502.748 and expense account FHUD15CDBG 274-748.502-805.126; and
Communities First is to receive an additional HOME allocation of $70,973 for their Swayze new
construction/supportive housing project, with funds to be established in revenue account FHUD15HOME
274-749.275-502.749 and expense account FHUD15HOME 274-749.275.805-276; and
The City has determined that none of these changes constitute a substantial amendment to the City of
Flint’s 2014-15 Action Plan; and
IT IS RESOLVED, that City of Flint officials are authorized to do all things necessary to amend the City of
Flint’s 2014-15 Action Plan & to enter into contracts with the aforementioned agencies in the amounts
identified above for a total CDBG amount of $713,556.00, and an additional HOME amount of $70,973.00.
IT IS FURTHER RESOLVED, That $335,000 shall be moved from the uncommitted FHUD15CDBG accounts
274-748.101-502.748 and 274-748.101-700.000 to the Parks Division FHUD15CDBG accounts 274-
748.219-502.748 ad 274-748.219-805.051 in the amount of $175,000, the Planning Division FHUD15CDBG
accounts 274-748.207-502.748 and 274-748.207-805.051 in the amount of $100,000.00, and Habitat for
Humanity FHUD1SCDBG accounts 274-748.502-502.748 and 274-748.502-805.126 in the amount of
$60,000.00; and $70,973.00 shall be moved from the FHUD1SHOME uncommitted accounts 274-749.104-
700.100 to FHUD15HOME accounts 274-749.275-502.749 and 274-749.275-805.276
IT IS FURTHER RESOLVED, That the appropriate City officials are hereby authorized to do all things
necessary to correct Resolution EME2842014 and enter into an Emergency Solutions Grant with Metro
Community Development in the amount of $17,900. Funds are currently appropriately available in
revenue account 274-750.102-502.750 and expense account FHUD15ESG 274-750.102-805.100.
APPROV ~ AS TO FORM: APPROVED AS TO FINANCE:
>‘ ~4~i~eh- egal Offlcer ~&~(aneetirector
EM DISPOSITION:
ENACT_______ FAIL______________ DATED /‘c~ ~f / V
La
Darnell Earley, Emergency Manager 7/”
RESOLUTION STAFF REVIEW FORM
DATE: November 10, 2014
Agenda Item Title:
RESOLUTION TO AMEND THE CITY OF FLINT’S 201445 ACTION PLAN & ENTER INTO CONTRACTS
WITH VARIOUS AGENCIES.
Prepared By:
Suzanne Wilcox, Program Manager
Background/Summary of Proposed Action: Upon review of proposed uses of funds identified in
the City of Flints’ 2014-15 Action Plan, the City determined that modifications are needed and is
recommending changes to the proposed uses of CDBG. A previous resolution canceled several
of the activities proposed in resolution #EME2842014. The attached resolution authorizes the
City of Flint to amend the City’s action plan and allocate funds to the following activities. The list
below identifies the new activities and proposed amounts, and identifies the accounts funding is
coming from as well as the new account numbers.
Agency Rev/Exp 1 Rev/Exp Funding amount
Account From j Account To
CDBG
Habitat for Humanity — FHUD1SCDBG 274- FHUD15CDBG 274-
Rehabilitation in tipping 748.502-502.748 and 748.502-502.748 and $378,556.00
point neighborhoods 274-748.502-805.327 274-748.502-805.327
FHUD15CDBG 274-
COF Parks Division - 748.219-502.748 and
$175,000.00
Genesee Valley Trails FHUD15CDBG 274-
748.219-805.051
COF Planning Division — FHUD15cDBG 274- F[luol5cDBG 274-
748.101-502.748 and 748.207-502.748 and
Neighborhood Mini FHUD1SCDBG 274- FI-IUD1SCDBG 274-
Grants 748.101-700.100 748.207-805.051
Habitat for Humanity— FHUD1ScDBG 274-
748.502-502.748 and $60,000
Neighborhood FHUD1SCDBG 274-
Beautification/Toolshed 748.502-805.051
Total $713,556.00
HOME
IHUD1SHOME 274 FHUD1SHOME 274
Communities First — 749.104-502749 and 749.275-805.276 and Supportive Housing $70,973 FHUD1SHOME 274 FHUD1SHOME 274
749.104-700.100 749.275-502.749
Total $70,973
ESG
Metro Community FHUDESG 274- FHUD1SESG 274
750.102-502.750 and 750.102-502.750 and Development — ESG FHUD15ESG 274- FHuD15ESG 274 $17,900
Administration 750.102-805.100 750.102-805.100
Total $17,900
TOTAL $802,429
This action does not constitutes a substantial amendment to the City of Flint’s 2014-15 Action
Plan
Financial Implications: Funds will be made available to City of Flint departments and community
organizations & will help the City meet its spending benchmarks.
Budgeted Expenditure: Yes X No
Reviewed and approved by C. Dotson ___________
Accounts: See above
Pre-encumbered: Yes— No x Requisition It
(Resolution to cancel spending authority and revenue recognition has to be approved prior to
pre-encumbrance)
Other Implications: No other implications are known at this time.
Staff Recommendation: Staff recommends approval of this resolution.
Tracy Atkinson
Chief Officer, DCED
Please explain, if no:
Post Fri Dec 12, 2014 1:52 pm 
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

oddly, the money was reallocated before the Salem Housing money was defunded.
Post Fri Dec 12, 2014 1:54 pm 

Jump to:  

Last Topic | Next Topic  >

Forum Rules: