FAQFAQ   SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlistRegisterRegister  ProfileProfile   Log in[ Log in ]  Flint Talk RSSFlint Talk RSS

»Home »Open Chat »Political Talk  Â»Flint Journal »Political Jokes »The Bob Leonard Show  

Flint Michigan online news magazine. We have lively web forums

FlintTalk.com Forum Index > Political Talk

Topic: Where is Flint's Snow Plan

Author    Post Post new topic Reply to topic
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

Flint plow crews making slow progress in clearing streets

Posted: Jan 09, 2014 4:08 PM EST
Updated: Jan 09, 2014 4:10 PM EST

By Randy Conat - bio | email

FLINT (WJRT) -
(1/9/14) Flint officials say efforts to clear all city streets this weekend may be more difficult than first thought. They're making progress in plowing the streets but they're backing away from statements that the work will be completed by Saturday.

The snow is proving to be a big challenge.

Front end loaders are being used to clear some residential streets off of Lapeer Road. And three pickups from the Water Department are joining in the effort.

The city has 520 miles of roads.

Yesterday, a statement issued by the city said 30% of the streets had been cleared. But when asked for an update today, the DPW director Howard Croft was hesitant to answer.

"I wouldn't want to put a number on it right now because it's ever moving. That number needs to be in context. It's a context of 520 miles. I would rather say we're hopeful that we'll be in position for school to be open and the buses to occur tomorrow," Croft said.

Usually main streets are passable after one or two passes by a snowplow. But after this storm it has taken three or four trips to get the streets in good condition.

There was a bit of good news today. MDOT has agreed to provide three trucks to keep M-21 and M-54 clear in the city.

"They will be plowing and salting those roads which will allow us to focus more in the residential areas," Croft said.

Flint has twelve plow trucks in its fleet. Being in constant use the past few days is taking a toll on them.

"It has challenged us to maintain the upkeep on those. But again, with a tremendous sacrifice from the city staff, we're going the best we can. Our guys have been working 12 hour shifts since Sunday and we'll see how far that gets us," said Croft.
Post Thu Jan 09, 2014 11:16 pm 
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

Detroit activates residential snow removal plan amid Michigan ... http://www.mlive.com/news/detroit/index.ssf/2014/01/detroit_activates_residential.html - 100k - Cached - Similar pages 4 days ago ... Amid the snowstorm and frigid temperatures sweeping through Southeast

Detroit mayor: Snow removal crews will work around the clock if ... http://www.mlive.com/news/detroit/index.ssf/2014/01/detroit_mayor_snow_removal_cre.html - 97k - Cached - Similar pages 5 days ago ... n anticipation of what is expected to be days of heavy snowfall in Michigan, new
Post Thu Jan 09, 2014 11:24 pm 
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

Detroit mayor: Snow removal crews will work around the clock if necessary

Detroit's downtown riverfront covered in snow Wednesday, Jan. 2, 2014. Snowfall began all over the region Tuesday and continued into Thursday. The city activated a snow clearing plan for 1,880 miles of residential streets that only takes effect when snowfall exceeds 6 inches. (Dustin Block | MLive)

Michael Wayland | mwayland@mlive.com By Michael Wayland | mwayland@mlive.com
Follow on Twitter
on January 04, 2014 at 4:15 PM

DETROIT, MI- In anticipation of what is expected to be days of heavy snowfall in Michigan, new Detroit Mayor Mike Duggan today laid out the city’s plans for snow removal and trash services.

Duggan, who took office Jan. 1, said that the city will continue to have its fleet of 40 trucks out around the clock as necessary during the upcoming storm, according to a release issued Saturday afternoon.

“Our snow removal crews have been working around the clock to keep our streets safe. I appreciate their hard work and dedication and residents should, as well,” Duggan said in a statement.

Since Christmas, the city has received 18 inches of snow. Since New Year’s Day, snow removal crews have cleared more than 2,500 miles of major and residential streets and spread more than 4,400 tons of salt to keep roads safe for motorists, according to the release.

Duggan to hop on snow plow on first day

The National Weather Service reports some areas of Metro Detroit are expected to get up to another foot or so of snow by Sunday night.

The mayor’s announcement two months after Duggan was elected to the office over Wayne County Sheriff Benny Napoleon. During his campaign, Duggan promised to help restore, and even improve, city services to Detroit residents.

Duggan also announced changes to the city’s trash collection services, including a cancellation of Monday trash collection in anticipation of the storm.

“The mayor also said that in anticipation of the coming major snowfall, he has instructed his DPW staff to treat Monday, January 6th as a holiday for the purposes of trash collection,” reads the release.

The day delay means residents should put their container out at the curb one day later than their regularly scheduled pickup dates.

Crews, according to the release, are currently running 36-48 hours behind this week’s holiday schedule, due primarily to the challenges created by the heavy snow earlier this week. The city has placed its trash pickup crews on a 24-hour schedule since Friday night and will continue on a 24-hour schedule until crews are caught up in the next few days.

Information regarding the changes to weekly trash collection will be posted on the city’s website, as well as the city’s cable channel (Comcast 10).

Michael Wayland covers the automotive industry for MLive. Email him at MWayland@mlive.com & follow him on Twitter @MikeWayland or Google+.
Post Thu Jan 09, 2014 11:28 pm 
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

Detroit activates residential snow removal plan amid Michigan snowstorm
Michael Wayland | mwayland@mlive.com By Michael Wayland | mwayland@mlive.com
Follow on Twitter
on January 05, 2014 at 10:01 PM, updated January 05, 2014 at 10:37 PM

DETROIT, MI- Amid the snowstorm and frigid temperatures sweeping through Southeast Michigan, the City of Detroit Sunday night announced the activation of its residential street cleaning plan.

This is the third time this winter that the City of Detroit Department of Public Works has enacted the plan, which kicks in when six or more inches of snow have accumulated.

Under the plan, Detroit crews and their 40 trucks will continue to salt and plow the city's 660 miles of major roads, plus contractors have been notified to begin plowing the city's 1,880 miles of residential side streets. The contractors, according to officials, will start at 6:00 a.m. They have 24 hours to complete their work.

The plan being activated hours after Detroit Public Schools announced a district-wide closing for Monday and a day after new Detroit Mayor Mike Duggan announced an alternate trash pickup for the city and made it clear that snow removal teams will do everything they can to keep Detroit’s streets clear.

Winter storm Ion hits Metro Detroit

The National Weather Service reports snowfall was expected to total 8-15 inches by late Sunday, followed by wind chills expected to drop to between 20 and 30 below zero on Monday – marking the coldest air in perhaps 20 years for the region.

“This bitterly cold arctic airmass will bring dangerously cold wind chills through the early part of the week,” reads a Sunday winter storm warning from NWS, which issued a wind chill warning from 7 a.m. Monday to 1 a.m. Wednesday.

Officials have cautioned Michigan residents to only travel when necessary during the expected storms because they could result in treacherous road conditions. NWS also advises to “prepare … plan … and stay informed” for Michigan weather with help of its website at go.usa.gov/rr8.

If you are a pet owner, also make sure to check out 10 tips from Detroit Dog Rescue on how to keep your four-legged friend safe.

Click here for more on the winter storms hitting Michigan.

Michael Wayland covers the automotive industry for MLive. Email him at MWayland@mlive.com & follow him on Twitter @MikeWayland or Google+.
Post Thu Jan 09, 2014 11:32 pm 
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

Flint, in contrast, does not appear to have a comprehensive snow plan. Every announcement has been reactive and not widely disseminated. Residents did not know when their garbage was to be picked up until days later. The state has stepped in to assist with two major roads and Zito construction has been working around the Mott Park and Kettering area. I do not know if other contractors have been working.

The old snow removal vehicles left in the fleet have been breaking down and are unable to meet the task. Howard Croft was a former GM electrician who somehow has been placed in a high position at the city Department of Works. After this years botched leaf removal the storm drains in my neighborhood were clogged after the trucks left. I expect flooding as not all residents went out and cleaned them a second time.

It is apparent that the City plan is evolving in spurts and pieces and was never a comprehensive plan at all. There have been no updates on the City website and residents have been left to discover the news on their own. With a fragile budget it appears city services are continuing to decline. How much will this level of incompetence cost? Are we saving money yet through privatization?
Post Thu Jan 09, 2014 11:46 pm 
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

The Road Commission had a plan. They announced that contractors would be clearing the residential streets and they budgeted for at least two major snow events. While a storm of this magnitude will strain their budget, I can't help but wonder what consequences this storm will have on the Flint deficit.

Even smaller communities who plow their own streets for the most part are faring better that Flint. I understand Earley appeared angry in an earlier broadcast over criticism for snow removal delays. Perhaps this crisis will give him the opportunity to review the job performances of some incompetent department heads and make the appropriate adjustments. This "comedy" that is unfolding regarding the city's inability to provide adequate services certainly should highlight where the flaws are.
Post Fri Jan 10, 2014 12:01 am 
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

Councilman Davis has been reporting to his constituents and others on Facebook what he learns about when their snow will be plowed and when garbage is to be picked up. Our Flint City website offers no information.

Councilman Wantwaz Davis

Facebook family, I am so frustrated about these streets not being shoveled, my street isn't done either, and I was just stuck in front of my house, my wife and I had to push the car. I understand the lack of man power and trucks, however, the city has to learn from this tragedy to start being more proactive and preparing for occasions like this. I will address this issue at council meetings. However, i want all of you to know that I have a passion for progress in making our city become more connected with the residents and will remain to keeping the line of communication open with each and everyone of you. That being said, trucks are out on the streets and will be for the rest of the night attempting to bring service to all of the loyal tax payers, in which you are. I will have more information tomorrow on where everything is at and in what direction the city is in when it comes to shoveling the side streets. Don't forget that City Council meeting is this Monday coming up, on the 3rd floor of City hall, at 5:30 on the 13th of January, this Monday, see you there, sincerely your loyal and sincere servant Councilman Wantwaz Davis.
Post Fri Jan 10, 2014 6:38 am 
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

Councilman Davis has been keeping his constituents advised for days.

Councilman Wantwaz Davis

Facebook family and friends, I have just spoken to a reliable source from the city. I know that all of you in Flint, Michigan is wondering when will the trucks come through and shovel the snow from the side streets. Well this is how it is being done, We only have ten trucks out on the road and some of them have broke down, however, side streets are being shoveled for those who are scheduled to have their garbage picked up, for example if your garbage is being picked up tomorrow, then they are moving towards your area to shovel your streets, they were trying to have 50% off all streets done by today, but because of the trucks breaking down it pushed things back a little, however trucks are out on the streets and hopefully they will get to your area, I understand how you feel, I have been snowed in since Saturday. Also, it is very difficult for salt to be placed on the streets because of the hard frigid conditions, even if they place salt on the street, it would not be effective. So I am just keeping all of you abreast of the process and will continue to keep you informed, remember the shoveling will be on your street as the garbage is schelded to be picked up, also, garbage is pushed back one day, because of the Monday when republic didn't work, so if your trash was scheduled to be picked up on Wednesday then it will be picked up on Thursday. Last I've know is they are moving on the south west end moving towards the north west part. Thank you and have a bless day, Sincerely Councilman Wantwaz Davis.

Unlike · · Share · January 7 at 5:09pm ·
Post Fri Jan 10, 2014 8:53 am 

Jump to:  

Last Topic | Next Topic  >

Forum Rules: