FAQFAQ   SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlistRegisterRegister  ProfileProfile   Log in[ Log in ]  Flint Talk RSSFlint Talk RSS

»Home »Open Chat »Political Talk  Â»Flint Journal »Political Jokes »The Bob Leonard Show  

Flint Michigan online news magazine. We have lively web forums

FlintTalk.com Forum Index > Political Talk

Topic: Flint: Violence and high water costs cause resident loss
Goto page Previous  1, 2
  Author    Post Post new topic Reply to topic
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

Umm...sad.

This is America's Most Apocalyptic, Violent City — And You’ve Probably Never Heard Of It

www.policymic.com

In this forsaken town 66 miles northwest of Detroit, the American dream has become the American nightmare.

9 people like this.

Arthur Busch Interesting story. One we never hear in our local media. They are too busy being cheerleaders. People cannot put in context the reality from the cheering as they look for hope in any quarter. That is what is sad to me. The propaganda machine spends $700,000 of community block grant funds that was to go to neighborhoods to tear down a single building that was not totally without use. I am personally disgusted with this continuing tale of lies and deceit and incompetence. Anyone who has half a brain has already left and the rest are planning to do so.Trying to rebrand Flint as a college town is never going to sell t the people that live there or who see it from the outside.

Dave Phillips
I agree. It will only be a college located witjin a dying town. In my opinion, the revitalization of Flint begins with industry, and thus jobs. People with the same level of income will continue to purchase the same levels of goods and services, live the same lifestyle, commit the same crimes, etc.

However, I have attended many of the Homeowners Association meetings, and have heard a lot of talk about some revitalization efforts intended to reimage Flint FROM its former image of just an auto manufacturing town, TO an area of multiple manufacturing and export capabilities. The I-69 International Trade Corridor effort is a major push in this direction, touting Flint as a major hub of airline, railway and interstate highway avenues for transporting goods, and offering itself as a manufacturing location of choice as well.

Add to that the fact that Jeff Wright, our Drain Commissioner, has just severed ties with Detroit water, and has helped to implement the Karegnondi Water Authority, which reduces long-term water costs for manufacturers by obtaining PRE-TREATED water from a pipeline they're building to Lake Huron. Check it out on Wikipedia. There's hope for Flint if businesses decide this will help lower costs for them. We're in 'wait and see' mode now...

Sorry for the long post. Can you tell I'm passionnate about this? Lol.
Post Sat Dec 28, 2013 2:09 am 
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

"County planners said in the report that they used a different methodology in predicting how deep Flint's population could fall during the next 27 years because no other local unit of government "has a fraction of the continued loss realized in the city of Flint."

The report predicts the percentage reduction of households in Flint continue at a rate of about 17 percent per year through about 2012.

The rate of decline is projected to fall, dropping to 6.5 percent by 2040. The report says it takes into account areas of growth in the the city, such as Smith Village, the Durant, and student housing.

The Census Bureau estimated Flint's population as just above 100,000 in 2012 and the county report projects it will drop to 93,009 by 2015; 82,543 by 2020; 77,343 by 2030; 69,646 by 2035; and 67,133 by 2040. "

Everything is an estimate and there are some who believe Flint has lost more than 17% per year. That rate may slow down now than the killing is slowing down.

I live in the north end and I have seen the people moving out, especially after a series of shootings. It is a shock to drive down some of the streets near me that I drove a month ago and see more vacant homes.
Post Sat Dec 28, 2013 2:27 am 
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

Arthur Busch

This story reveals why Flint wont change. The best way to not be murder town or the most dangerous city is to lower the crime rate. Flint has no meaningful efforts that use best practices of other cities to fight rime. Its more than more cops, more jails etc. We see Gov Snyders way is not working cause we still rank high as ever. Flint uses poor strategies and wont cooperate wilth others. Bottom line its not a PR problem people are dying and being robbed everyday by known felons with guns.

Will the world remember the 'apocalyptic' Flint story, the world's reaction or nothing at all?

www.mlive.com

But for the rest of the world that doesn't come to Flint, it's hard to tell whether what will stick in people's minds is the story itself, or the world's
Post Fri Jan 03, 2014 2:10 pm 
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

Will the world remember the 'apocalyptic' Flint story, the world's reaction or nothing at all?

Scott Atkinson | satkins1@mlive.com By Scott Atkinson | satkins1@mlive.com
on January 03, 2014 at 6:00 AM, updated January 03, 2014 at 10:46 AM
r
FLINT, MI -- There's a battle Pat Corfman fights with the rest of the world.
She's the director of marketing and public relations coordinator for Bishop Airport, and part of her job is getting people--and airlines--to fly into Flint.

And convincing other airlines that's a good idea, she said, can be a challenge because Flint, depending on the articles you read, has been called the most dangerous, the most miserable, and, most recently, most apocalyptic cities.

"I’ve fielded that a lot with the Michael Moore movie ("Roger & Me"). Aviation planners have heard of that movie and they want to know. is that true, is it not true," she said. "They have brought up the most dangerous city list. ...We do, on the national level, try to keep an eye on those (stories)."

She may now have to deal with the most recent story, published Dec. 26 on Policymic.com -- or maybe not, because this time the Flint community and the world at large were not happy about it.

Aside from a slew of rebuttals on Facebook posts and blogs of locals, the media at large got on board as well. Websites like Gawker and even the UK's Daily Mail have written articles tearing down the 'apocalyptic' story.

Corfman said that once people come to Flint, they understand there's more the area than blight and crime.

"Now, the (airlines) that actually fly into Flint, it’s kind of a running joke," she said. "When they see those things, they know it’s not the whole story."

But for the rest of the world that doesn't come to Flint, it's hard to tell whether what will stick in people's minds is the story itself, or the world's reaction.

Mark Lantz know a thing or two about community branding. He was part of the team that created the Pure Michigan campaign for the state. In fact, he said, the words "Pure Michigan," came from him. About a year ago he was brought on board to help the Flint & Genesee Chamber of Commerce rebrand their own company--as well as the surrounding area.

He knew what he was up against.

He said that Flint's reputation as a dangerous place came up in meetings, but they still wanted the name front and center when they came forth with the new name for the organization, Flint & Gensee Regional Chamber of Commerce, because it's better to have some name recognition to build on than none at all.

Still, there are those stories, which he said Flint will always have to deal with.

"It’s not the first and it won’t be the last. It’s going to be a good long time before stuff like that goes away," he said.

What's important, he said, for the community, is looking at those moments as opportunities, and he said he's happy with how the community reacted.

"In the social media world, what I thought was great about it was the social media world blew up on it," he said. "You can’t let these things pass. You have to jump on it."

In the long run, however, he said news stories about cities -- whether they tout the areas gems or describe them as apocalyptic -- are very small pieces of a much larger puzzle.

"It takes time, money, and the right idea," to change the way the world sees Flint, he said.

So what, in the long run, will the world remember this time?

According to Lantz: Almost nothing.

"I think six months form now there won’t be much lingering impact," he said. "There will be other stories."

Scott Atkinson is an entertainment reporter for the Flint Journal and can be reached at 810-262-0216 or at satkins1@mlive.com. You can also follow Scott on Facebook or Twitter.
Post Fri Jan 03, 2014 2:16 pm 
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

Barry Simon oh no Art, Laura Dimon's the problem: after all, she was born the year Flint was named "the worst place to live," so everything that transpired over the next 26 years must be her fault! How dare she draw attention to it!

5 hours ago · Like · 3

Mary Dinnan I have lived in Flint all my life, I believe the National Guard should come in, take over the city for a couple of months, clean up this city and leave a few here to let the thugs know they can not do what they are doing here and our town can become good again. I always comment on the good things and experiences here. Not many people do!

5 hours ago · Like · 1

Jeffrey Beckwith Yes, Arthur we still have crime,

4 hours ago via mobile · Like · 1

Jeffrey Beckwith But, Arthur the crime rate (and murder rates) are both down in Flint and Detroit. How do you account for that?? The crime/murder rate was higher while you were Prosecuting Attorney

4 hours ago via mobile · Like

Daniel Andoni Okay I'll bite what innovative tactic should the pd employ?

4 hours ago via mobile · Like

Shawn Borowicz Jeff the crime rate is down only because of the way the city is or is not reporting it to the crime reporting bureau. Mr Busch is correct.

4 hours ago via mobile · Like · 1

Melissa Hart Prayer...why can't people just get it right...Our city needs lots and lots of prayer...

4 hours ago · Like · 1

Mike Killbreath You are right on with your comments Art, except that more police on the streets is needed in a drastic way because of the massive cuts to pubic safety.

4 hours ago · Like

Howard Molpus Keep it up Art, Change start's with someone speaking up, I agree with you totally.

3 hours ago via mobile · Like · 1

Nancy A. Rogers Woodruff Think about it folks: "What causes crime?" We need an ounce of prevention instead of a pound of cure. And for those who are clueless, more police is a cure.

3 hours ago · Like · 1

Kenneth Engel The city has twisted crime stats for years, but could not find a way to lie about a dead body. Crime will decline as the population continues to decline. If you would like to see Flint improve try the following....welfare is not a way of life, the use and selling of drugs is not ok, police and jail space are needed, the city and 68th district court need to prosecute misdemeanors, limit section eight housing and the leadership must realize their is an entire city, not just downtown. There are many other issues, but change the makeup of the city and you will change the city.

2 hours ago · Like · 1

Arthur Busch The crime rate was lower when I was prosecutor. Not that I am the sole reason for that. But for 11 of my 12 years in office crime declined. Violent crime dropped 50%. Then they downsized drug court etc. I hate ignoarance like a couple of the comments above. The county stopped everyone of my 4 million in demonstration grants from the us justice department. Some above should check their facts and not the Flint Journal for their information. Go to the FBI stats

2 hours ago via mobile · Like · 3

Arthur Busch Further start with an effective massive drug court and you will see the crime rate plummet. Next start a violent felon tssk force and get in their shoes. We did it before and the guns didnt get used and traded like today

2 hours ago via mobile · Like · 2

Arthur Busch Hope that helps Daniel Andoni

2 hours ago via mobile · Like

Kenneth Engel Flint PD had over 300 total officers at that time Art....less than 150 taday. I see the lack of bed space at the county jail and the leadership there as the greatest problem for law enforcement for the county.

2 hours ago · Like

Shawn Borowicz I see so many officers turn there heads in flint either because they are related to the suspect or just lazy. They should find comparable size city in MI and swap officers for six months and the crime will drop in both cities. Before all the comments this is not about all the fine officers flint does have because there are some. Whatever the answer is to the equation I agree what they are doing is not working.

2 hours ago via mobile · Like

Howard Molpus Genesee county , has 27 different police agency's, all with a chief all with political motivations.untill you stop that kind of duplication of same service the ratio of police to population , will never get solved.

about an hour ago via mobile · Like · 1
Post Fri Jan 03, 2014 2:35 pm 
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

Detroit does nothing as school fills up with water from broken pipes

motorcitymuckraker.com

Despite complaints, water continued to creep up the basement steps and rain down from pipes in the hallways at an alarming rate.
Detroit does nothing as school fills up with water from broken pipes

Friday 03rd, January 2014 / 04:54 Written by Steve Neavling

Torrents of water have been spewing from broken pipes at the abandoned Detroit City High School for more than a week, flooding classrooms, hallways and the basement at an alarming rate.

Despite complaints, water continued to creep up the basement steps and rain down from pipes in the hallways Thursday, costing ratepayers and jeopardizing the fate of the building at 13141 Rosa Parks.

Dan Sommers III and William Elling came across the flooding on Dec. 27 while exploring the abandoned DPS school, which closed in 2012 because of budget cuts.

“We started to hear the sound of gushing water. We got a little bit closer and could smell the water,” Sommers said.

What they saw next was dumfounding. Numerous pipes were unleashing up to a gallon of water every few seconds – enough to fill an Olympic pool in less than a day. The basement was overflowing with water, crawling up the steps. Ice accumulated along the walls and ceiling.

Sommers called DWSD and said he was assured the problem would be immediately resolved.

“It is very upsetting. The older part of the building is 97 years old and I’m afraid it might be completely ruined,” Sommers said.

Although the school has been closed for more than a year, DWSD never shut off the water – a widespread problem that is sapping ratepayers, causing safety hazards and rotting out abandoned structures, we reported last month.

DWSD officials couldn’t be reached for comment Thursday evening.

Detroit’s budget cuts and years of incompetence have made it impossible for DWSD to keep pace with water shutoffs for inactive or unpaid accounts. In just the past year, the department has shed more than 300 jobs. And more layoffs are anticipated in the near future.

Check back for updates on DWSD’s response.

About the author

Steve Neavling, who lives on the city’s east side, is an investigative journalist, a freelance reporter for Reuters and former city hall reporter for the Detroit Free Press. A journalist for 13 years
Post Fri Jan 03, 2014 2:39 pm 
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

There have been numerous stories about Detroit not repairing broken water lines and water running for long periods of time. The leaks are called "water lost in the system" and all of the suburban ratepayers end up helping to pay for these water leaks.
Post Fri Jan 03, 2014 2:47 pm 

Jump to:  
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Last Topic | Next Topic  >

Forum Rules: