FAQFAQ   SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlistRegisterRegister  ProfileProfile   Log in[ Log in ]  Flint Talk RSSFlint Talk RSS

»Home »Open Chat »Political Talk  Â»Flint Journal »Political Jokes »The Bob Leonard Show  

Flint Michigan online news magazine. We have lively web forums

FlintTalk.com Forum Index > Political Talk

Topic: Flint Council Training 12-14-13

Author    Post Post new topic Reply to topic
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

Flint City Council goes through training, orientation session on how to transition out of emergency management

David Harris | dharris5@mlive.com By David Harris | dharris5@mlive.com
on December 14, 2013 at 4:25 PM, updated December 14, 2013 at 4:26 PM

FLINT, MI – Saturday's Flint City Council orientation and training session was the first step toward returning control of the city back to locally elected officials, said Emergency Manager Darnell Earley.

Council members received a crash course in city government Dec. 14 at the Mott Community College Regional Technology Center. They also received a report from Earley and a representative from the state treasury office on what it will take to return power back to the council and mayor.

A representative from the Michigan Municipal League, the city attorney and the fire and police chiefs also made presentations. This was the first of a series of expected training sessions and workshops for council on how to effectively lead the city and manage the budget.

"You'll have a good idea of what has to take place for that transition back to local power," said Earley. "This is just the beginning of those discussions."

Earley discussed the importance of leadership and being able to conduct effective meetings. Ed Koryzno, an administrator from the treasury's Office of Financial Responsibility, talked about what has to happen before -- and after -- Earley leaves.

While Earley is still in power, there are certain "expectations" that have to be met before he moves on. Those include the elimination of the $19-million deficit, addressing legacy costs and making responsible decisions, said Koryzno.

When the treasury department and Gov. Rick Snyder believe those expectations have been met, a transition advisory board would be appointed. The board would oversee the city government for as long as Snyder wants, Koryzno said.

The board also would expect city leaders to consider charter revisions and continue training, he said.

"We want the city to demonstrate that they are prepared to take the reins of the city again," Koryzno said. "It's important that after Mr. Earley leaves, that in two years the city isn't under emergency manager again."

Members of Earley's executive staff, Mayor Dayne Walling and all nine Flint city council members were in attendance. It was the first meeting since restrictions were placed on the actions of Councilman Eric Mays.

Earley issued an order on Friday, Dec. 13, that limited what Mays can do as a city council member. Those restrictions include not talking to city staff and directing 1st Ward residents to discuss their concerns with City Clerk Inez Brown instead of Mays. Mays' attorney has said he will consult a civil liberties attorney regarding the order.

On Saturday, Mays seemed to take the order to heart. When City Attorney Pete Bade asked if Mays was talking to him after Mays asked a question, Mays responded, "I'm just talking to the air."

After the session, Earley said he was "satisfied that we're moving forward."

"I don't think there was anything that was said that wouldn't have been said over the normal course of a meeting," Earley said.

Mays said he felt "uncomfortable and restricted" at the beginning of the meeting but felt that as it went on he was able to participate and the meeting was productive.

Flint City Council President Scott Kincaid said the meeting was a good overview of what council members can expect in the future. He also believes the city is on the path of getting power back to the elected officials.

"What I gather from my conversations with Darnell is he wants to get the city on the right track and get the city back to local control and not fall back into financial emergency," he said.

As the meeting came to a close, Earley gave the council a piece of advice.

"If you want me out of here, you have to work with me," he said. "I'm asking you to work with me and I'll work with you."
Post Sat Dec 14, 2013 7:06 pm 
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

[Earley discussed the importance of leadership and being able to conduct effective meetings. Ed Koryzno, an administrator from the treasury's Office of Financial Responsibility, talked about what has to happen before -- and after -- Earley leaves.

While Earley is still in power, there are certain "expectations" that have to be met before he moves on. Those include the elimination of the $19-million deficit, addressing legacy costs and making responsible decisions, said Koryzno. ]

This is a tall order as the projected legacy cost 2014 to 2018 is estimated at over $19.2 million. Is this a warning for Flint retirees?

Where can they make any more cuts?

Browns "balanced budget" never touched the defiit.
Post Sat Dec 14, 2013 7:10 pm 

Jump to:  

Last Topic | Next Topic  >

Forum Rules: