FAQFAQ   SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlistRegisterRegister  ProfileProfile   Log in[ Log in ]  Flint Talk RSSFlint Talk RSS

»Home »Open Chat »Political Talk  Â»Flint Journal »Political Jokes »The Bob Leonard Show  

Flint Michigan online news magazine. We have lively web forums

FlintTalk.com Forum Index > Political Talk

Topic: Earley-Never said it was about Mays traffic issue!

Author    Post Post new topic Reply to topic
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

It is a good thing I left my cell phone at home this morning as the two co-hosts on the Sheldon Neeley Show (WFLT 1420 am) this morning had everything wrong!

When Earley had his press conference he publicly stated the reasons or his cause of action was violations of the Emergency Manager Order #2. Although this order, which is on the official City of Flint site, was initiated by EM Kurtz it remains in effect until an EM rescinds it.

EMERGENCY MANAGER
CITY OF FLINT
GENESEE COUNTY MICHIGAN
ORDER No.2
CITY COUNCIL’S RESPONSIBILITIES AND PARTIAL RESTORATION OF COMPENSATION BY THE POWER AND AUTHORITY VESTED IN THE EMERGENCY MANAGER (“EMERGENCY MANAGER) FOR THE CITY OF FLINT, MICHIGAN (“CITY’)
PURSUANT TO MICHIGAN’S PUBLIC ACT 436 OF 2012, LOCAL FINANCIAL
STABILITY AND CHOICE ACT, (“PA 436”); EDWARD L. KURTZ, THE EMERGENCY
MANAGER, ISSUES THE FOLLOWING ORDER:

Pursuant to Public Act 436, the Emergency Manager has broad powers in receivership to rectify the financial emergency and to assure the fiscal accountability of the City of Flint and its capacity to provide or cause to be provided necessary services essential to the public health,
safety and welfare; and

Pursuant to Public Act 436, the Emergency Manager acts in place of local officials, specifically the Mayor and City Council, unless the Emergency Manager delegates specific authority; and

Pursuant to Public Act 436, the Emergency Manager may restore, in whole or in part, any of the salary, wages, other compensation, or benefits of the City Council during the pendency of the receivership, for such time and on such terms as the Emergency Manager considers appropriate, to the extent the Emergency Manager finds that the restoration of salary, wages, compensation, or benefits is consistent with the financial and operating plan.

Based on the above, the individual salaries of Flint City Council members are restored to $7,000.00 per year with no benefits Council shall convene in City Council Chambers one time per month as scheduled by the Emergency Manager for the purpose of listening to public comment, conducting public hearings and addressing other matters submitted by the Emergency Manager.

Flint City Council shall:
1. Meet once per month (4th Monday) in order to hear concerns from constituents. Council members must be in attendance throughout the meeting.

2. Accept and respond to constituent calls and requests for information. Council members shall submit actionable items to the Emergency Manager in writing

3. Schedule meetings as requested by the Emergency Manager to address issues that have a significant impact on the City, such as the Comprehensive Master Plan, KWA, Charter Revisions, and other issues that may arise.

4. Complete Level One of the Michigan Municipal League (MML) core courses for
municipal government and receive the MML Education Award within one year. The City will pay for costs of the actual training, exclusive of travel, lodging and meals.

5. All communication with staff must be in writing and directed through the Emergency Manager’s office.

6. Comply with any other request authorized by Public Act 436 from the Emergency
Manager on timely basis.

To be eligible for compensation, each Council member shall execute an acknowledgement of receipt of this order and agreement to abide by its terms.

This Order is effective March 28, 2013.

This Order may be amended, modified, repealed or terminated by any subsequent order issued by the Emergency Manager.
Post Sat Dec 07, 2013 2:03 pm 
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

Earley was invoking the section of public Act 436, the Emergency Manager Law, that says the failure of a "local government official to allow the orders of an EM can e considered gross neglect of duty and a cause for removal."

Mays allegedly violated Executive Order #2when he verbally abused city employees in the Police Department and the mayor's office. It was implied that the interference rose to the level of intimidation.

So all of these stupid discussions of Earley not allowing the traffic incident to follow the legal course of action is bunk! Earley must have presented a very convincing argument I order to change the positions of the Council President Kincaid and Council Vice President Nolden.

Nolden's comments in the Flint Journal were very revealing after the December 6th press conference.

"I am definitely in agreement with the Emergency Manager and with Mayor walling and Council President Kincaid."...."I really can't go into details about some of (Mays) actions and intimidations. I don't think that's the way a council person should act."
Post Sat Dec 07, 2013 2:17 pm 
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

Those who think Mays would never intimidate anyone has never seen him inaction at the council meetings. Mays had a contract for his lobbying efforts that stated he would return $5,000 o his $10,000 price for getting council to approve a liquor license or zoning request.

When he couldn't get the council votes , he could be seen confronting council members as they entered the council chambers or left the chambers. No one is supposed to behind the council chairs to talk with them, but that never stopped Mays. He could be observed wilding motioning with his hands as he argued his positions.

In one liquor license case, then Third Ward Councilman Kerry Nelson had issues over the issue. Mays charged Nelson as he was entering the council office and loudly attempted to intimidate Nelson. It appeared he tried to force his way into the office. Nelson filed a Personal Protection Order against Mays based on Mays behavior.

Do I believe Mays tried to intimidate city hall employees in order to make this go away-Yes I do.
Post Sat Dec 07, 2013 2:27 pm 
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

In the earlier radio show with Pastors Flynn and Threkheld, Threkheld made a light indication that he might want to discuss the Mays issue. Flynn was firm when he said :I don't want to talk about Eric Mays, this show is about Mandela."

When Mays called in Flynn resolutely told Mays "I don't support you politically".
Flynn also told Mays that when he talked to the media that he should not say he had the support o the ministers when he had never even discussed this issue with them.
Post Sat Dec 07, 2013 2:33 pm 
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

The whole substance of Neeley's show was based on erroneous assumptions and arguments against the Flint dictatorship. To me Mays is not worthy of all the conspiracy theories he is throwing around. I don't see him as political, but as an opportunist. But like everyone else I have a right to my opinion.

Evangelist Doris Jones believes Mays was given a "mickey" and Barbie Biggs thinks that is right.

Mays tells people he only had 3 drinks, but his cohort from his Williamson days said on M-Live that he was set up by those who were not his friends. She argued that friends don't give you shots and then watch you leave drunk and let you drive. She also believes he had something placed in his drink to set him up. She says Mays was going to expose some unnamed people and that is why he was set up.

Then we have Dee Dee Armstrong who says she saw him leave and he was not intoxicated. She also says she talked to another man who spoke to mays and did not believe he was so messed up that he couldn't drive.

This kind of disputes the rumors someone else drove him out to the site and left him. That would require a second car and driver to pick up the first driver. But then conspiracy theories are always convoluted.

Then we have the theory, or story, that Complete Towing took him out to the site he was found after someone tampered with is tires and dropped at the site. There of course is no record because the administration set it all up.
Post Sat Dec 07, 2013 2:51 pm 
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

Getyokids on M-Live blames Nolden for Mays problems because Nolden was one of four hosts and people from the party allegedly called Mays to come. Nolden doesn't drink but he allegedly plied Mays with drinks although he was already drunk He then blames Nolden for running to Snyder. Somehow this logic escapes me. Remember Mays said he only drank 3 beers and the body can eliminate at lease one beer per hour. And with a group of over 300 people attending the party, why is Nolden responsible for monitoring everyone. What happened to mays friends who were with him?
Post Sat Dec 07, 2013 2:56 pm 
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

On the flip side of the issue, Valtwin told M-live that Eric Mays truly represented the first ward voters and supporters , He said Mays could have been caught with a kilo of Coke and Flint would reelect him.

Valtwin had to be referring to our long time status on the most dangerous cities when he stated Mays represented "a culture that gives Flint its identity, not only in Michigan and nationwide, but worldwide."

Burt T pointed out that this scandal is another blow to our reputation as a city and said he believed Mays should resign. He noted how mays is a public servant who took an oath to adhere to the duties of the office.
Post Sat Dec 07, 2013 3:06 pm 
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

Flint City Charter

BookmarkSec. 3-207 PROHIBITION OF INTERFERENCE IN ADMINISTRATION.

Except for purposes of inquiries or investigations in accordance with Sec. 3-206, the City Council and its members shall deal with City officers and employees who are subject to the direction and supervision of the Mayor solely through the Mayor, and neither the City Council nor its members shall give orders to any such officer or employee, either publicly or privately.

(Adopted by the electorate, 11-5-1974)

The Council has no budget line for investigations at this time. Also they are not allowed to contact staff over such investigations.
Post Sat Dec 07, 2013 9:28 pm 
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

WJRT tv 12 got it right!

Flint city leaders want Mays out, but he's not going

Posted: Dec 06, 2013 6:16 PM EST

Updated: Dec 06, 2013 7:28 PM EST

By Angela Brown - bio | email

FLINT (WJRT) -
(12/06/13) Flint city council member Eric Mays says he is not going to resign.

ABC12 talked to Mays moments after a press conference inside of Flint city hall this morning.

During that press conference, emergency manager Darnell Early, along Mayor Dayne Walling and city council president Scott Kincaid asked Mays to resign.

This comes just days after Mays was arrested on a drunk driving offense.

Earley says after his arrest, Mays verbally abused city staff.

"Some of the events in this reference center around Mr. Mays verbal abuse of support staff in Mayor's office and police department in an effort to intimidate them by, among other things giving them direct orders since his arrest."

Mays responded to the accusations by saying, "this is not true, Mr. Earley has proved to me in three weeks he is not telling the truth, he is a liar."

We examined PA 436, the emergency manager law to determine if Earley has the power to remove Mays.

According to PA-436, Earley can recommend to the state that Mays be removed from council if he violates an order or the law itself, but the governor has the final say.

Eric Mays referred all questions about his drunk driving arrest to his lawyer.

But, Mays says he plans to fight all the allegations.
Post Sun Dec 08, 2013 4:22 pm 

Jump to:  

Last Topic | Next Topic  >

Forum Rules: