FAQFAQ   SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlistRegisterRegister  ProfileProfile   Log in[ Log in ]  Flint Talk RSSFlint Talk RSS

»Home »Open Chat »Political Talk  Â»Flint Journal »Political Jokes »The Bob Leonard Show  

Flint Michigan online news magazine. We have lively web forums

FlintTalk.com Forum Index > Political Talk

Topic: Flint City Councilman Eric Mays in the news

Author    Post Post new topic Reply to topic
00SL2
F L I N T O I D

Flint City Councilor Eric Mays arrested for drunk driving, drug possession
Posted: Nov 30, 2013 12:37 PM EST Updated: Nov 30, 2013 12:42 PM EST
By ABC12 News Team - email

FLINT (WJRT) -

(11/30/13) - Flint City Councilor Eric Mays was arrested Saturday morning on suspicion of Operating While Intoxicated and Possession of Marijuana. Flint Police say he was also cited for No Proof of Insurance and Failure to Submit to Fingerprinting.

Flint Police arrested him on I-475 north of Carpenter Road at 2:51 a.m.

Police say he was driving north in the southbound lanes.

As of 12 p.m. Flint Police said Mays was in the Flint City Lock Up waiting to be charged by a judge.

Both Genesee Township and Flint Police were called to the scene.

On Nov. 11 Mays was sworn in as the councilman for the First Ward. It is his first term.

Last edited by 00SL2 on Sat Nov 30, 2013 2:05 pm; edited 1 time in total
Post Sat Nov 30, 2013 1:30 pm 
twotap
F L I N T O I D

Im shocked shocked I tell ya. Flint city council. Rolling Eyes

Post Sat Nov 30, 2013 1:42 pm 
00SL2
F L I N T O I D

http://www.mlive.com/news/flint/index.ssf/2013/11/flint_city_councilman_eric_may_1.html

mlive.com
Flint City Councilman Eric Mays jailed, accused of drunken driving and marijuana possession
Amanda Emery | aemery@mlive.com By Amanda Emery | aemery@mlive.com
on November 30, 2013 at 12:26 PM, updated November 30, 2013 at 1:07 PM

FLINT, MI -- Flint City Councilman Eric Mays was arrested for alleged drunken driving and possession of marijuana on I-475 early Saturday morning.

Mays was elected to Flint City Council for the First Ward in November.

Flint Police Chief James Tolbert said Mays was arrested for operating while under the influence of alcohol, OUIL, possession of marijuana. According to a news release from Tolbert, Mays was also cited for no proof of insurance and failure to submit to fingerprinting.

Flint police were dispatched to southbound I-475 north of Carpenter Road in reference to a car with four flat tires around 2:51 a.m on Nov. 30.

Upon their arrival officers were met by Genesee Township officers who were already at the scene.

Police said the vehicle involved had been traveling north in the southbound lanes of I-475 on four flat tires. Mays was trying to change a flat when police found him, Tolbert said.

Mays is currently lodged in the Flint City Lockup pending arraignment. An arraignment time has not been set.

This isn't Mays' first run in with the law. The First Ward councilman pleaded guilty to felonious assault in 1987 and served a year of probation. Mays said the man had been threatening his life before Mays threatened him with a gun.

Amanda Emery is a police reporter for MLive-Flint Journal. Contact her at aemery@mlive.com or 810-285-0792. Follow her on Twitter or Facebook.
---
© 2013 MLive.com. All rights reserved.
Post Sat Nov 30, 2013 2:04 pm 
00SL2
F L I N T O I D

http://www.mlive.com/news/flint/index.ssf/2013/11/city_leaders_residents_react_t.html

mlive.com
Flint emergency manager to consult with governor about councilman's arrest
Amanda Emery | aemery@mlive.com By Amanda Emery | aemery@mlive.com
on November 30, 2013 at 4:39 PM, updated November 30, 2013 at 5:07 PM

FLINT, MI -- Flint Emergency Manager Darnell Earley said he will discuss a city councilman's weekend arrest with Gov. Rick Snyder on Monday.

Flint City Councilman Eric Mays was arrested and jailed about 2:50 a.m. Saturday, Nov. 30, for alleged drunken driving and possession of marijuana after police said they found him trying to change a tire on a car with four flats on I-475 near Carpenter Road.

"I'm very disappointed to hear of these serious charges against Councilman Mays, particularly in view of the fact that he has sworn an oath to uphold and abide by the laws of the State and the city of Flint." Earley said. "I'll be conferring with the governor's office on this matter on Monday."

Flint Police Chief James Tolbert said Mays was arrested for operating while under the influence of alcohol and possession of marijuana. He was also cited for no proof of insurance and failure to submit to fingerprinting, Tolbert said.

Police said the vehicle Mays was with had been traveling north in the southbound lanes of I-475 on four flat tires.

Mays is currently lodged in the Flint City Lockup pending arraignment. An arraignment time has not been set.

Mays was won a narrow victory in Flint's First Ward in November, beating Anita Brown by seven votes.

With the city under state control, council members have little power but are expected to take a more active role when Snyder returns to city to local control.

Flint City Councilman Sheldon Neeley declined comment on the arrest. City Council President Scott Kincaid and other council members could not be reached for comment.

Residents in the First Ward had mixed reactions to the news of Mays' arrest. While some were angry, Elijah Muhammad said he felt sorry for him
"I think he has a strong voice and had I voted, I would have voted for Eric." Muhammad said. "But I'm really disappointed, I'm really disappointed in him."

Zykkiyia Turner, 22 of the First Ward in Flint, said the arrest is not appropriate behavior for a councilman.

"It's a shame." Turner said. "You're supposed to look up to people like that and respect people, not hear something like that. It's sad."

Brown, who will have a recount next week in her loss to Mays, offered support for him.

"I truly regret hearing that regarding him and anyone else." Brown said. "If there's anything I can do, I certainly would."

Brown said there are compassionate people in the First Ward that would stand beside Mays.

Political analyst Bill Ballenger said the charges against Mays aren't just bad for him, but reflects poorly on the council as well.

Ballenger said the negative publicity surrounding the arrest along with Mays' history increases the damage. The First Ward councilman pleaded guilty to felonious assault in 1987 and served a year of probation. Mays said the man had been threatening his life before Mays threatened him with a gun.

"The last thing somebody like Eric Mays, or anyone else with his background should do is allow this to happen." Ballenger said. "It's not good."

Amanda Emery is a police reporter for MLive-Flint Journal. Contact her at aemery@mlive.com or 810-285-0792. Follow her on Twitter or Facebook.
---
© 2013 MLive.com. All rights reserved.
Post Sat Nov 30, 2013 5:14 pm 

Jump to:  

Last Topic | Next Topic  >

Forum Rules: