FAQFAQ   SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlistRegisterRegister  ProfileProfile   Log in[ Log in ]  Flint Talk RSSFlint Talk RSS

»Home »Open Chat »Political Talk  Â»Flint Journal »Political Jokes »The Bob Leonard Show  

Flint Michigan online news magazine. We have lively web forums

FlintTalk.com Forum Index > Political Talk

Topic: Could this happen in Flint?

Author    Post Post new topic Reply to topic
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

shared a link.

12 hours ago

Whenever families go out of town, this guy moves in and claims their property.

Man Has Filed 11 Deeds Claiming Ownership over Property

ow.ly

Imagine that you and your family have a sick, dying relative who lives out of town....
Post Thu Nov 28, 2013 10:18 am 
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

Opposing Views

Society

Robert Carr of Ohio Has Filed 11 Deeds Claiming Ownership over Property He Doesn't Own

By Joshua M. Patton, Thu, November 28, 2013

Imagine that you and your family have a sick, dying relative who lives out of town. You and your family go to them and stay until your loved one succumbs to his or her illness. Then, when you return to your family home you discover that a stranger has changed your locks and laid claim to the property because it was “abandoned.” It sounds like bad melodrama, but is in fact what happened to a family from Springdale, Ohio, as reported by WLWT. In fact—while the specific details vary—this has happened to 11 families whose claim to their property is being challenged by Robert Carr.

Carr filed “quiet titles” on these properties, saying he has a right to claim them because the families who previously occupied the homes have forfeited their rights of ownership because they abandoned the property. Carr also expects to pay not one dime for these properties. He told WLWT, “When you abandon a property, bam, walk away from it, ‘I ain’t never coming back. I don’t want nothing to do with it’ right? Somebody can come in, ‘Oh mine.’”*

Carr is part of the sovereign citizens movement, which could also be called “cafeteria Americans.” They believe that they have the right to pick-and-choose which laws and statues they have to follow. This belief is predicated on the idea that current local, state, and federal governments are “illegal” and have veered away from the founding fathers’ original intent. For example, Carr filed deeds for properties that he doesn’t own, ignoring the previous deeds that are presumably somehow “less legal” than his. The family in Springdale is currently in court challenging Carr’s deed. WLWT spoke to the FBI who said that Carr’s deeds most likely wouldn’t be upheld. Still, that doesn’t lessen the sense of violation felt by the family’s whose homes he occupied.

*No typos there; that’s the actual quote.
Post Thu Nov 28, 2013 10:28 am 
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

Ohio Man Using a Scheme to Snatch Up ‘Abandoned’ Houses ...

Ohio Man Using a Scheme to Snatch Up ‘Abandoned’ Houses That’s So Absurd, It’s Scary to Think It’s Actually Working
www.theblaze.com/stories/2013/11/27/ohio-man-using-a-scheme-to...

Nov 27, 2013 · A Springdale, Ohio, ... The new “owner,” Robert Carr, began his occupation of the family’s home shortly after they left to visit a relative.

WLWT Investigates: Man claims abandoned homes are up for …

WLWT Investigates: Man claims abandoned homes are up for grabs
www.wlwt.com › News

Nov 25, 2013 · Robert Carr went into the home on Springdale Lake Drive, changed the locks and emptied the house. ... Somebody can come in, 'Oh, mine,'" Carr …

Robert Carr of Ohio Has Filed 11 Deeds Claiming Ownership …

Robert Carr of Ohio Has Filed 11 Deeds Claiming Ownership over Property He Doesn't Own
www.opposingviews.com › Main
1 day ago
Nov 26, 2013 · Home » Main » Robert Carr of Ohio Has Filed 11 Deeds Claiming Ownership over ... but is in fact what happened to a family from Springdale, Ohio…
Post Thu Nov 28, 2013 10:31 am 
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

WLWT Investigates: Man claims abandoned homes are up for grabs

UPDATED 8:21 PM EST Nov 25, 2013

Man claims abandoned homes are up for grabs

SPRINGDALE, Ohio —A family in Springdale returned from an out-of-town visit to a dying relative to find someone else had moved into their home of 21 years. Their outrage has now turned into a court battle, pitting them against a man who says he has the court documents to prove the house is now his.

WLWT News 5's Karin Johnson began to investigate and uncovered a dozen cases, all linked to the same man.

Robert Carr went into the home on Springdale Lake Drive, changed the locks and emptied the house. The family said when they confronted Carr, he showed them a document he filed with the Hamilton County Court.

It's called a "quiet title" and lays claim to the property because Carr said the family abandoned the house and gave up all rights.

Family members said they are too afraid to be identified.

"What he's looking for is full title and ownership of the home," the family's attorney, Alison Warner, said.

Carr expects to pay nothing to take the home.

"He's in their home. They don't know when he's there. He can be there now," Warner said.

Johnson discovered 11 houses where Carr has filed the same paperwork. The homes are in Springdale, Forest Park, Fairfield and Hamilton. Seven of the cases were filed on the same day.

Documents: Butler Co. cases / Carr criminal indictment / Hamilton Co. homes: 1 / 2 / 3 / 4 / 5 / 6 / 7 / 8 / 9

Johnson visited the houses, finding some with "no trespassing" signs posted by Carr -- even though he is not currently listed as the legal owner of any of the houses.

Johnson tracked down Carr at a house on Geneva Road in Forest Park for which he has also filed ownership documents.

"When you abandon a property, bam, walk away from it, 'I ain't never coming back. I don't want nothing to do with it,' right? Somebody can come in, 'Oh, mine,'" Carr told Johnson, describing why he believed the properties could be taken.

Carr said he does not do this alone.

"I have a team of people who go out and I say make sure the house is empty. If it's empty, change the locks," Carr said.

Johnson asked Carr, "You can just come in and change the locks and become owner?" To which he replied, "Anybody can."

But the family from Springdale told Johnson this has devastated them.

"I feel violated. (I'm) very scared, you know, because I never know if somebody's going to be here," the homeowner said.

The family attorney told Johnson the legal fight is adding to a painful year for the family.

"This is stress that has fallen on their shoulders out of nowhere, after the death of a loved one and now they're responsible to answer to this," Warner said.

Carr has been charged with breaking and entering in one case of disputed ownership. He is fighting that charge.

Johnson obtained a copy of the indictment, upon which Carr wrote across the front "rejected" and "offer not accepted."

Johnson contacted the FBI, where agents would not comment on this specific case. However, Special Agent in Charge Kevin Cornelius told Johnson the bureau has seen similar cases before.

"They'll come together as groups to receive training, how to conduct some of these schemes from a financial standpoint, to understand what they consider the common law and how they can use that common law for their sovereign purposes," Cornelius said. "I'm not familiar (with) any cases where it's held up in court. I think that it holds up the process of the court's decision."

The family in Springdale called the court fight a nightmare.

"It's really been hard," the homeowner said.

Read more: http://www.wlwt.com/news/wlwt-investigates-man-claims-abandoned-homes-are-up-for-grabs/-/9838224/23152246/-/wib2fe/-/index.html#ixzz2lxGJg49b
Post Thu Nov 28, 2013 10:36 am 
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

Carr is not some white nut job, he is African -American. Remember when Sherrod Piggee was indicted and imprisoned for selling and renting houses that were not his?
Post Thu Nov 28, 2013 12:03 pm 

Jump to:  

Last Topic | Next Topic  >

Forum Rules: