FAQFAQ   SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlistRegisterRegister  ProfileProfile   Log in[ Log in ]  Flint Talk RSSFlint Talk RSS

»Home »Open Chat »Political Talk  Â»Flint Journal »Political Jokes »The Bob Leonard Show  

Flint Michigan online news magazine. We have lively web forums

FlintTalk.com Forum Index > Political Talk

Topic: More FLINT 2013 violence
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 50, 51, 52  Next
  Author    Post Post new topic Reply to topic
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

Flint police identify 19-year-old man as city's latest shooting victim

By Roberto Acosta | racosta1@mlive.com
on February 24, 2013 at 9:29 PM, updated February 24, 2013 at 9:36 PM

FLINT, MI -- Police have identified 19-year-old Jyquonn Chambers as the man who was shot and killed Sunday afternoon on Marvin Street in Flint.

Officers were called around 12:15 p.m. to the 3600 block of Marvin, between Van Wagoner and Gillespie avenues, for a shooting call and found Chambers on the ground outside a home.

A large crowd of people gathered behind yellow police tape awaiting word on the victim's identity, while cars slowed from time to time and inquired about what had taken place at the scene.

Several bystanders at the intersection of Marvin Street and Gillespie Avenue were involved in a fight while waiting for information on the shooting.

Five to six bystanders began assaulting an individual right behind police tape and near a Crime Scene Investigation vehicle. Flint police officers came to the scene and ordered the crowd to disperse. One bystander was placed into a police vehicle following the fight.
No information has been released on a potential suspect or what may have led to the incident. The shooting death is the second in as many days in the city of Flint.
Twenty-seven year old Antwan Omar Tipton was shot by security around 1:30 a.m. Saturday, Feb. 23 while trying to enter the Palm Tree Lounge, located at 4125 Clio Road. Tipton died at the scene from gunshot wounds.

Tipton had been refused entry to the lounge and momentarily left the scene, but he later returned with a handgun and was shot by security personnel after both sides exchanged gunfire.

A suspect has not been named at this time in the shooting. Anyone with information in either shooting may call Flint police at 810-237-6800 or Crime Stoppers at 1-800-422-5245.

Roberto can be reached by phone at 810-429-3865, email at racosta1@mlive.com, on Facebook at Roberto Acosta Journalist or on Twitter @racostaJourno.

Staff Reporter Eric Chiu contributed to this report.
Post Mon Feb 25, 2013 8:24 am 
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

Flint police searching for suspect accused of shooting at building

By David Harris | dharris5@mlive.com
on February 26, 2013 at 5:33 AM, updated February 26, 2013 at 5:34 AM

FLINT, MI -- Police are asking for the public's help in locating a man charged with three felonies.
Herbert L. Artis Jr., 30, is charged with discharge of a firearm at a building, carrying a concealed weapon and felony firearms from an incident on Jan. 13, according to police and court records.

He is known to hangout at Evergreen Regency Apartments off Lippincott Boulevard where he is feuding with the mother of his child, police said. His last known address is 2713 Walter Street where his mother lives, according to police.

Anyone with information is asked to call Det. Sgt. Allan Ogg at 810-237-6925 or CRIMESTOPPERS at 1-800-422-JAIL.

CRIMESTOPPERS pays up to $1,000 for any information.
Post Tue Feb 26, 2013 7:35 am 
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

Shooting on Flint's north side leaves one in critical condition, two others with minor injuries

By Chris Aldridge | caldridg@mlive.com
on March 02, 2013 at 6:36 PM, updated March 02, 2013 at 6:37 PM

MLive.com File Photo

FLINT, MI – Flint police say a man and two women were wounded in a shooting near Martin Luther King Avenue and Welch Boulevard on the city’s north side late Saturday afternoon.

One victim was taken to Hurley Medical Center in critical condition and receiving surgery as of 5:30 p.m, March 2, according to Flint police.

Another victim was shot in the arm. The injuries to the third were unknown.

No further details were released.
Post Sat Mar 02, 2013 10:50 pm 
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

Mysterious 'explosion' sounds alarm people on Flint's east side

By Blake Thorne | bthorne1@mlive.com
on March 03, 2013 at 2:30 PM, updated March 03, 2013 at 2:31 PM

FLINT, MI -- Something mysterious is spooking residents on the eastern edge of the city.

Juan Lara, 67, of Flint has experienced the explosion-type noises bellowing through his house. "For a minute I thought we were being attacked," Lara said of the sounds. Sammy Jo Hester | MLive.com

It comes unannounced. It shakes the walls and the floors and freaks out the pets.

People who have experienced it all describe it the same way.

"Explosions," said Juan Lara, a 67-year-old man who lives near Center Road and Davison Road.

Lara and others said it's been happening off and on for about a year. It usually happens in the afternoon, maybe once every few weeks. But, lately, it's more frequent.

"(It's) loud," Lara added. "I don't know where they're coming from."

Nobody does.

Not the neighbors, not the fire department, not the power company.

"I haven't heard anything like that," said John Babb, Flint Fire Department battalion fire chief.

Fire crews haven't responded to anything that matches what residents are describing, Babb said. And if anything was blowing up, firefighters would be out there.

He wondered if it was maybe a power transformer or some activity under a manhole.

If either were the case, Consumers Energy would know, Babb said.

They didn't.

"We’re not aware anything on our system," said Dan Bishop, a Consumers spokesman.

Whatever it is, Sheila Kopek knows she's not imagining it.

"It shakes you, you feel it," said Kopek, 34.

She's been hearing it "at least one every couple weeks" since the summertime. She and her husband thought they were fireworks at first.

It shakes the walls in their home. It comes up from the earth like a crack of thunder, except at a lower pitch, she said.

Sheila Kopek, 34, has experienced the explosion-type noise that she says shake her home in Flint. Sammy Jo Hester | MLive.comSammy Jo Hester | MLive.com

"It's loud enough that it will make you jump," Kopek said. "It's weird."

Paul Rozycki, a professor at Mott Community College, has heard it a few times in recent weeks from his home on Commonwealth Avenue near Dort Highway.

But it doesn't shake, Rozycki said, From his home, it's more like "something in the distance."

"It reminds me somewhat of like when there's a fireworks show downtown," Rozycki said.

But not everybody hears it.

"No, I haven't," said Jim Joyce, 70. "Course, I'm hard of hearing anyway."

At nearby Starlite Coney Island, manager Jason Hester said he's never heard the noise, nor has he heard people talking about it.

Could be a power transformer blowing, he said.

"That's like an explosion," Hester said.

Another resident wasn't familiar with the sounds.

"Only thing I've heard is gunshots," said the man, who asked that his name not be used.

It's not gunshots, said the people who heard the explosions.

They know gunshots, these are different.

Megan, a 14-year-old who asked her last name not be used, said she heard the noise from her home once.

"Sort of loud, just noise, I guess."

Lara said the noises have been happening for "a good year or more."

He remembers the first time it happened, the shaking and rumbling.

"For a minute there, I thought we were being attacked."

He's thankful it wasn't an attack. But, at this point, he just wants to know what it is.

Nobody seems to know.

Blake Thorne is a reporter for MLive-The Flint Journal. Contact him at bthorne1@mlive.com or 810-347-8194. Follow him on Twitter or Facebook.
Post Sun Mar 03, 2013 3:53 pm 
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

Flint man faces state, federal charges after allegedly leading police on chase

By Gary Ridley | gridley@mlive.com
on March 04, 2013 at 3:00 PM, updated March 04, 2013 at 3:01 PM

FLINT, MI -- A Flint man faces state and federal charges after authorities said he led police on a chase in late February.
Donald Lee Burton, 34, of Flint, is charged with carrying a concealed weapon, felon in possession of a firearm, felony firearms and third-degree fleeing and eluding after the chase Feb. 24 on the city's east side.

A federal complaint for being a felon in possession of a firearm is also pending against Burton.

An affidavit filed with the federal complaint states that the chase began after Michigan State Police troopers tried to pull Burton over for failure to stop at a stop sign at Ohio and North Vernon avenues.

Authorities say Burton failed to stop and led police on a chase that ended only after he lost control of his vehicle, left the roadway and was blocked in by a state police cruiser.

Burton was taken into custody and authorities found a pistol holster in his pants pocket, according to the affidavit. A search of the glove box turned up a 9mm pistol that had been reported stolen in 2009, police said.

The affidavit claims Burton was previously convicted of organized fraud less than $20,000 in Brooksville, Fla., and manufacturing/distributing narcotics in Rockdale County, Ga.

Burton was arraigned on the state charges Thursday, Feb. 28. He was held on a $200,000 cash or surety bond, according to court records. A preliminary exam is scheduled for March 14.

He has not been indicted or arraigned on the federal complaint.
Post Mon Mar 04, 2013 5:29 pm 
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

Flint man sentenced to prison after getting shot during carjacking

By Gary Ridley | gridley@mlive.com
on March 04, 2013 at 4:00 PM, updated March 04, 2013 at 4:01 PM

FLINT, MI -- A Flint man was sentenced to prison after authorities say he was shot by his victim during a carjacking.
Leo Ricardo Stringer, 18, was sentenced Monday, March 4, by Genesee Circuit Judge Archie Hayman to one year, five months to 15 years in prison after pleading no contest to unarmed robbery and two years in prison for felony firearms.

The sentences will run consecutively.

He was initially charged with carjacking after authorities said he was shot by a person whose vehicle he was trying to take.

While receiving treatment at Hurley Medical Center, Stringer was identified by one of the nurses working on him as the person that robbed her two weeks prior.

The nurse, who was visiting from out-of-town, had been robbed in a parking lot near Hurley, authorities said.

Leyton said the nurse recused herself from treating Stringer after she identified him.
Post Mon Mar 04, 2013 5:34 pm 
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

Woman allegedly robbed at knife-point on Flint's north side

By Dominic Adams | dadams5@mlive.com
on March 04, 2013 at 7:30 PM

FLINT, MI – A woman told police she was robbed at knife-point after withdrawing cash from an ATM on Flint’s north side.

The woman was allegedly robbed just after midnight on Sunday, March 3, in the 5000 block of North Saginaw Street by a man known to her, Flint police said.

The man then fled on foot and the victim called police.

The suspect was later arrested when police found the knife and money at the man’s home. He was booked in at the Flint City Lockup on a robbery charge.

The amount of cash stolen was not released in the report.

The woman suffered minor injuries, but refused medical treatment following the alleged assault, the report said.

Dominic Adams is a reporter for MLive-Flint Journal. Contact him at dadams5@mlive.com
Post Tue Mar 05, 2013 7:57 am 
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

If the Journal gets the police reports, then why are so many stabbings and shootings not reported? just 2 days ago there was an incident in the 2000 block of Cummings. This is in the Zimmerman School area and the area of much violence in recent months.

Flint Police Operations needs more volunteers as they have huge blocks of vacant time now with no coverage. I need a new scanner after the change to the 800 mhz.

But I really want to understand why there is no coverage. Do they think we will believe we are safer if there is no coverage?
Post Tue Mar 05, 2013 8:01 am 
Dave Starr
F L I N T O I D

If you get a scanner at Radio Shack, the programming cable is an extra cost item. I believe the AC adaptor is also an extra cost item.

Pushing buttons sure can be fun.

When a lion wants to go somewhere, he doesn’t worry about how many hyenas are in the way.

Paddle faster, I hear banjos.
Post Tue Mar 05, 2013 8:15 am 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website  Reply with quote  
westflint
F L I N T O I D

I've live in that West Flint neighborhood. It has been pretty bad around here for years and getting worse. I remember talking to Walling about the crime around here and I told him something should be done because many TAXPAYERS WERE MOVING out of this neighborhood Walling told me that people are not moving because of the crime, but they were moving because of the economy. NOW BECAUSE NO ONE LISTEND I am living in a rental neighborhood with emty houses.
Post Tue Mar 05, 2013 10:26 am 
Dave Starr
F L I N T O I D

Welcome to the club. Out of the 26 houses on our block, 8 are occupied. You actually expected someone at city hall to listen? They have their own agenda & couldn't care less about ordinary people.

Pushing buttons sure can be fun.

When a lion wants to go somewhere, he doesn’t worry about how many hyenas are in the way.

Paddle faster, I hear banjos.
Post Tue Mar 05, 2013 12:22 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website  Reply with quote  
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

Two arrested on Flint's north side during alleged prostitution

By Dominic Adams | dadams5@mlive.com
on March 05, 2013 at 9:30 PM

FLINT, MI – Two people were arrested after an officer saw the pair performing sex acts inside a vehicle Sunday on Flint’s north side, police said.

Flint police were called about 2:30 a.m., March 3, to the 800 block of Carton Street, at North Street, in reference to suspicious activity believed to be prostitution, a report said.

The responding officer allegedly saw a man and woman performing sexual conduct inside a vehicle and both were arrested. The report did not specify what type of activity the two were engaged in.

The vehicle was towed following the arrests.

Dominic Adams is a reporter for MLive-Flint Journal. Contact him at dadams5@mlive.com or 810-241-8803. Follow him on Twitter, Facebook or Google+.
Post Tue Mar 05, 2013 11:21 pm 
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

Two stolen guns recovered by Flint police after they are tossed out the window

By David Harris | dharris5@mlive.com
on March 05, 2013 at 12:37 PM, updated March 05, 2013 at 2:06 PM

FLINT, MI -- Police recovered two guns after they were thrown out of a window of a home, according to a police report.
Police were called about 10 p.m. Sunday for shots fired in the area of Joyner Street near Tacken Street, the report stated. While checking the area by a home, the officer heard a window open and close.

The officer then found two handguns that were apparently tossed out of the window. The guns were stolen, according to the report.

It did not say if arrests were made.
Post Tue Mar 05, 2013 11:35 pm 
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

FPO did a great job of tracking the 4 shooting suspects who shaot a man in the stomach in the 3100 block of Fleming. I found it interesting that three were captured in the Regencies (Evergreen Regency Apartments) in the south side.

Just a place to run to or gang rivalry?

Obviously too many crimes committed by white impalas as the owner of one has been pulled over twice in one week.
Post Thu Mar 07, 2013 8:18 am 
J HUNTINGWORTH TUNE
F L I N T O I D

quote:
untanglingwebs schreef:
If the Journal gets the police reports, then why are so many stabbings and shootings not reported? just 2 days ago there was an incident in the 2000 block of Cummings. This is in the Zimmerman School area and the area of much violence in recent months.

Flint Police Operations needs more volunteers as they have huge blocks of vacant time now with no coverage. I need a new scanner after the change to the 800 mhz.

But I really want to understand why there is no coverage. Do they think we will believe we are safer if there is no coverage?
I've noticed this myself.I listen to police and fire calls hours every day ( on a digital trunking scanning receiver ) ,and it seems to me that a only a fraction of complaints are mentioned in the journal.Do they have an agenda? Looks to me as they do,but I don't think keeping the public well informed is on it.
Post Fri Mar 08, 2013 10:19 am 

Jump to:  
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 50, 51, 52  Next

Last Topic | Next Topic  >

Forum Rules: