FAQFAQ   SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlistRegisterRegister  ProfileProfile   Log in[ Log in ]  Flint Talk RSSFlint Talk RSS

»Home »Open Chat »Political Talk  Â»Flint Journal »Political Jokes »The Bob Leonard Show  

Flint Michigan online news magazine. We have lively web forums

FlintTalk.com Forum Index > Political Talk

Topic: Flint plans crime convention

Author    Post Post new topic Reply to topic
Adam Ford

http://abclocal.go.com/wjrt/story?section=local&id=3781432

FLINT (WJRT) - (01/04/06)-- We've all heard the negative statistics about Flint's crime rate. Now the police department is reaching out to help people protect themselves.

Everyone is invited to get involved in the Crime Prevention Convention.
Police want to teach people how not to become victims in their own and or businesses. They're reaching out, but it's up to the community to grab on.

When it come to crime stats around the nation, Flint usually ranks high on the list, but it doesn't have to stay there. "We want to build partnerships with our community. That's the best way to have effective crime control," said Flint Police Chief Gary Hagler.

The police department intends to train Flint residents how to combat crime this Saturday at the city's Crime Prevention Convention.

Chief Hagler says there will be some recruiting as well. The department wants to form block clubs and crime watch groups. "We're challenging the younger people to get involved, pitch in and help take back our streets one block at a time. Together we can make a great difference. If we stand alone it's going to be a tough road to continue down."

The department is also looking for new officers. "We'll actually be recruiting for police officers. So anybody interested in becoming an officer, we will have information and details for you."

Free crime prevention materials will be provided, along with free child identification kits. Safety and security vendors will be on hand as well to discuss what they have to offer.

"We will also have free gun locks and free lunch and it won't be just bread and water," said organizer Joe Florida.

Saturday's Crime Prevention Convention is absolutely free. It takes place at the Flint Masonic Temple, 755 South Saginaw Street, from 10 a.m. until 1 p.m.

To register, call 810-237-6853.
Post Wed Jan 04, 2006 5:20 pm 
Adam Ford

If anyone manages to make it please let me know how it goes. It will be a happier day in Flint when the new police finally hit the streets. I've heard there is gong to be 8 police coming on the force???

Adam Ford
webmaster@mysearchisover.com
Post Wed Jan 04, 2006 5:21 pm 
Ted Jankowski

I’m almost tired of beating this dead horse into the ground. This is just a propaganda party, a last minute attempt to sway voters into voting for millage renewal. Nothing more, nothing less. The Flint police have just in the last month or so been hanging around the Eastside. Making their presence known. After the millage is approved. They will again disappear. For two years, I’ve been writing everyone, and calling, and following up on a police report. The police didn’t even know they had finally arrested the suspect and he is now in prison. I’m guessing. It’s because they really did know they had him. See they had evidence on breaking into a house and stealing guns, and that wasn’t considered a serious enough crime. So for two years now. They have evaded any questions concerning this report. 030016937 8/25/2003 But now, it is coming clearer. This guy must have used one of the guns he stole, to rape a woman, and break into another house. So they were hoping, that I would just drop the whole thing. Because, they still haven’t informed the owner of the guns, that they have found any of them, or that the guy is in prison. And they probably don’t want the rape victim to ever find out that the Flint Police had TWO MONTHS in which to get this guy off the streets. But the crime where he obtained the gun, wasn’t considered a severe enough crime to do anything about it. I’ll bet not one officer or elected official feels any remorse for allowing the rape to happen to that woman. If I was the cause of something like that happening, because I couldn’t do the job, I’d fire myself!
Now the Police want to, “train Flint residents how to combat crime” and give away “free child identification kits.” And “free gun locks” and “teach people how not to become victims in their own and or businesses”. We attempted to have a neighborhood watch years ago they even had cell phones and drove around with cars with the sign on them “Eastside Neighborhood Watch”. Only we couldn’t get Police to respond when people took shots at the car, and we were not allowed to carry guns of our own. Kind of hard to get volunteers to be target practice. (Now I don’t like to use hearsay, but I’m quoting from a conversation I had with the president of the Westside neighborhood watch Mr. Benton, before he passed away. We were talking about what was going on over in my neighborhood and why we didn’t have a neighborhood watch that I could volunteer for.) So sure, sign me up for a convention that they can blow smoke up my @##! What has changed in the last ten years that would lead me, or anyone else to think, anything has changed with the way the Police respond to calls? I know, we purchased 14 new Chevy Tahoes. Because, they are better crime fighting tools. Even though they are more costly to drive than the Impala, Less safe to operate or be in a crash with than the Impala. They are better crime fighters. If that was all it would take to make changes. I suggested we buy HUMMERS!! At least they are proven in Combat. The Military quit using the CUCV or Blazer style vehicle. I just don’t understand why the Mayor continually drags his feet hiring these new officers, or doesn’t require the “ACCOUNTABILITY” in the Police dept, that he campaigned on during his run for Mayor! But, he sure is good at coming up with fairy tales as to why we need to spend twice as much for Garbage trucks or purchase vehicles in violation of the City Charter. But if you find someone willing to waste their time at the convention. I would be willing to listen to anything that was presented. However, Like most people I know living in this city. I have to work Saturdays. So I can afford to pay my OUTRAGEOUS Insurance rates because of the unbelievable crime in this city.
Post Wed Jan 04, 2006 10:06 pm 
rapunzel

Jerr Bear- Give it a chance, Please. I understand your pessimestic attitude it is well deserved. You own it, have a darn good right to it. Yet, how can we begin change without dialog? Granted it is not the full dialog that is needed. We have recent results from people that are taking back their neighborhoods. Yes, some people in crime watches could use some back up in viotile situations. Read the COPS want to meet them in a safer location and they have guns and the crime watch does not. The ciminals guns are bigger! None the less these community members persist and do not fold. When a crime watch member has done a follow up call to Flint police after a community member has made a call, we are getting faster response. We are making a difference no matter how small. Maybe we are holding the line, and now is the time to push it back while we have the support. TOGETHER, we can do this and then broach the stolen items. I own my small part in the city of Flint and so do YOU! Now if we can get the ?thousand other homeowners on board. We can tell the admin we are not ready to ask the last person leaving to turn lights out in this not so fair city!
Post Wed Jan 04, 2006 11:24 pm 
Ted Jankowski

The Problem is. We the People should not have to continually "Follow up" on the Police Dept. We should not have to be a member of the "Community Watch" to get the Police to respond. Over here we get record response times, to: Dogs barking, and kids throwing rocks at windows. But, when your car is stolen, your lucky if an officer takes 15 minutes out of his day to take a report. If your house is broken into, Your expected to wait hours before the police show up, Witnesses are expected to wait. If they are not there when Police arrive. They don't want the witnesses phone number to call and get their statement. And even if the victim insists on it they won't bother to follow up with witnesses. Or, If you witness a crime and try to talk to officers while they are Bull shitting the neighbors and You'd like to give them some HARD evidence. Your interfering with their rap session while they are talking about all the things they could do if they wanted to, but refuse to do because it requires them to actually do their job. Ya know. If stuff like this was a once in a while occurrence. I'd say your right. I'm being pessimistic. Hey do you hear the gun shots??? My outside Microphone is clogged with rain so I cannot tell where they are coming from. But it sounds like Delaware. Anyway, back to what I was saying. When police respond in ten minutes because a Crack Head felon complains about a dog barking at him. And then the Crack Head felon three weeks later breaks into the house next door and it's not a priority to actually do anything about it. It's going to take a lot more than Apologies and worthless informative meetings put on by the Police dept to improve their image. Before I start to change my mind. It will require consistent response and active investigation on the part of Law enforcement before I change my attitude about the Flint Police Force. I've had people tell me "You'll change your attitude when you need them" well I have needed them. That's what created the attitude.

I have a fenced in Yard, Locks on the gates, Steel doors, Pitbulls and a shotgun. Since I got the pitbulls two years ago. This is the longest time I've gone, without a single thing being stolen. But I have been harassed by Police for having the watch dogs, god forbid they bark at a stoned crack head felon, yelling and screaming his going to come over and kick your ass, because your dogs barked at him walking down the street. The police seem to go out of their way, to look out for their Crackhead Felon Friends, Gang Members and criminals of all sorts. My only question here is… WHY? And you really don’t what to hear my theory on that one. But think about it. You where mentioning before how an officer showed up at a drug house, before a drug raid, with a duffle bag. I really don’t need to say anything more.
Another thing, I posted that Michigan sex offender registry link for steve to post. He did. Check it out. Search it for 48506. Within a 10 block radius of your house. See if you can find LESS THAN FIVE. People would be afraid to live in Flint if there was a Michigan Felon Registry, or a Thief Registry. It’s probably have everyone other house on the street listed.
Post Thu Jan 05, 2006 12:04 am 
rapunzel

I had the most beautiful pitt. American, tall dog not like your traditional short legged english pitts. I think McCoy but no papers. Friggin Knothead but a good dog. I felt safe with him as I did with his father. Some one purposely left my gate open so he left to find a girlfriend. Had he been in the yard sweet boy that he was, NO ONE would have came near the gate. Hmm you said locks on the gates?

Yes, police have a military attidude..misspelled but I like that better. You are a civilian and therefore stupid and not on their level. You are more of a problem than a solution ( kinda like the attidude of most Flint Teachers expect you to hit them with a snapple bottle rather than help your child succeed)

I am telling you right now I have made more headway in the FPD when the commanding officer was in attendance. SGT MC---- was non responsive but when faced with the community in front of Hagler this man had to give reasons why nothing was done. When working with crime watch you learn which officers will take care of this case. In fact officers when they know you are knowledgeable about cases will respond faster. Should this be the case? NO ,but this is true. We have limited resourses and the police will go to a call that is determined to not be baloney. Wasting limited time and resourses. I am not a crime watch person,this is hearsay. But I have facts that my friends have helped make busts. Theyhave gotten Pros out of the neighborhood, They have brought down drug houses through anonymous crime watch websites. THE community can make a difference not in resolving a theft last year but maybe in stopping one tomorrow. Maybe in closing down a drug\pros house that has a theft ring working out of it.

Don't ask what the community can do for you, what can you do for your community? please don't shoot me for that one! Smile!
Post Thu Jan 05, 2006 1:11 am 
Ted Jankowski

What is the link to these "anonymous crime watch websites."
Post Thu Jan 05, 2006 8:12 am 
rapunzel

Jerry, give me a minute on this subject. Washington area upon further review does not have thiers active yet. Arlington Crime watch has had great results but this is a personal website for her local community. I am hesistant to posting it with out asking permission first. It has been said the crimestoppers will also be posting a website. This is not quite the same thing as people may not be as forthcoming to a police website as a community website. I am working on this initative through the Weed and Seed. I'll get back to you on this.
RAP
Post Mon Jan 09, 2006 11:01 pm 

Jump to:  

Last Topic | Next Topic  >

Forum Rules: