FAQFAQ   SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlistRegisterRegister  ProfileProfile   Log in[ Log in ]  Flint Talk RSSFlint Talk RSS

»Home »Open Chat »Political Talk  Â»Flint Journal »Political Jokes »The Bob Leonard Show  

Flint Michigan online news magazine. We have lively web forums

FlintTalk.com Forum Index > Political Jokes

Topic: Change policies, not states

Author    Post Post new topic Reply to topic
OSfollower

The differences between the US occupation of Japan and Iraq are suggestive. The US fought Japan in exhausting war and had every reason to hate its government. Democratic America detested Japanese monarchy. The Western Christians were xenophobic about very strange customs of the Japanese. Yet the US was wise to change none of that.

America strengthened the very Japanese institutions that underpinned the war, and only eliminated Japanese army, the direct threat. Then the US used those institutions to change the Japanese outlook from within. The mid-term result was hugely successful: Japanese ambitions were channeled in the economy, and the economy directed outward. The long-term change in mentality is unlikely, and Japanese imperialism would re-surface, reinforced by economic successes. Hardly any policy, however, could provide more than mid-term results.

Contrast the American policy in Iraq. The US destroyed the institutions such as the strong government and police which cemented the multi-ethnic religiously diverse Iraq. Reforming a failed state is impossible; only strong states survive the reforms. America made the situation still worse by directly enforcing the law and pushing for the unwelcome political changes like democracy and Westernization. No people would accept new ideology force-fed to them by hostile outsider. They will fight or, at best, remain contemptuously passive. Once the occupation force withdraws, locals will run for the golden old values in their most extreme form. Population will firmly connect the resistance fighters with idealized old values, and elect them to power.

America could follow the Japan example in nuclear Egypt, Iran, and North Korea. All of them still have strong security apparatus and reasonably conformant population. America may concur their capitals, install acceptable rulers without damaging the security framework of the countries, and have the new rulers brainwash their citizens with local variety of the Western ideology, from schools to mass media. Ataturk was almost alone when he started secularizing Turkey. Totalitarian governments plus the Western ideology could solve the problem of nuclear rogue states.
Post Sun Dec 17, 2006 2:47 am 
Ted Jankowski
F L I N T O I D

Are you on Crack? Or do you really think that way? Sounds like a long run on of big words that don't make any sense when put together in sentences. I'd rather read someone's lack of grammar, punctuation and spelling than this silly nonsense.
Post Sun Dec 17, 2006 11:26 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger  Reply with quote  
Biggie9
F L I N T O I D

quote:
Ted Jankowski schreef:
Are you on Crack? Or do you really think that way? Sounds like a long run on of big words that don't make any sense when put together in sentences. I'd rather read someone's lack of grammar, punctuation and spelling than this silly nonsense.

I have several examples of what we call "fog generators"....lists of long, important sounding words, that one puts together in random sequences to say absolutely nothing, but sound impressive doing so!

The original posts does indeed sound like it was contrived and at least partially developed by one. I'd also suggest its probably some High School or Junior College student's term paper or portion thereof. They are usually good resources for half-baked and unbaked ideas. Usually parrotting some misguided teacher/professor presented in turgid prose with overblown adjectives, adverbs and run on sentences. The construction of the first sentence would be "suggestive" of such a pedigree.

Not worth even responding too. Someone's Poly-Sci term paper for the end of semester grade and quite possibly a high school paper judging from the lack of actual substance.

Post Mon Dec 18, 2006 12:42 am 
Ted Jankowski
F L I N T O I D

"fog generators". sounds believable..
Post Mon Dec 18, 2006 1:08 am 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger  Reply with quote  
DELETED

DELETED

Post Mon Dec 18, 2006 1:11 am 
Biggie9
F L I N T O I D

quote:
Larry schreef:
wow !!! i feal alot better about myself now . hey i learned how to use the quote thing a little lol

well done, Larry!

Post Mon Dec 18, 2006 5:52 am 
Ryan Eashoo
F L I N T O I D

quote:
OSfollower schreef:
The differences between the US occupation of Japan and Iraq are suggestive. The US fought Japan in exhausting war and had every reason to hate its government. Democratic America detested Japanese monarchy. The Western Christians were xenophobic about very strange customs of the Japanese. Yet the US was wise to change none of that.

America strengthened the very Japanese institutions that underpinned the war, and only eliminated Japanese army, the direct threat. Then the US used those institutions to change the Japanese outlook from within. The mid-term result was hugely successful: Japanese ambitions were channeled in the economy, and the economy directed outward. The long-term change in mentality is unlikely, and Japanese imperialism would re-surface, reinforced by economic successes. Hardly any policy, however, could provide more than mid-term results.

Contrast the American policy in Iraq. The US destroyed the institutions such as the strong government and police which cemented the multi-ethnic religiously diverse Iraq. Reforming a failed state is impossible; only strong states survive the reforms. America made the situation still worse by directly enforcing the law and pushing for the unwelcome political changes like democracy and Westernization. No people would accept new ideology force-fed to them by hostile outsider. They will fight or, at best, remain contemptuously passive. Once the occupation force withdraws, locals will run for the golden old values in their most extreme form. Population will firmly connect the resistance fighters with idealized old values, and elect them to power.

America could follow the Japan example in nuclear Egypt, Iran, and North Korea. All of them still have strong security apparatus and reasonably conformant population. America may concur their capitals, install acceptable rulers without damaging the security framework of the countries, and have the new rulers brainwash their citizens with local variety of the Western ideology, from schools to mass media. Ataturk was almost alone when he started secularizing Turkey. Totalitarian governments plus the Western ideology could solve the problem of nuclear rogue states.

Ummm your delusional

Post Mon Jan 15, 2007 11:57 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website  Reply with quote  
Ryan Eashoo
F L I N T O I D

quote:
Larry schreef:
wow !!! i feal alot better about myself now . hey i learned how to use the quote thing a little lol

GOOD WORK LARRY!!

Post Mon Jan 15, 2007 11:58 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website  Reply with quote  

Jump to:  

Last Topic | Next Topic  >

Forum Rules: