FAQFAQ   SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlistRegisterRegister  ProfileProfile   Log in[ Log in ]  Flint Talk RSSFlint Talk RSS

»Home »Open Chat »Political Talk  Â»Flint Journal »Political Jokes »The Bob Leonard Show  

Flint Michigan online news magazine. We have lively web forums

FlintTalk.com Forum Index > Open chat

Topic: Crime Prevention is topic at Haskell

Author    Post Post new topic Reply to topic
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

Conference on crime prevention and vacant properties to be held in Flint
Published: Wednesday, March 02, 2011, 9:20 PM Updated: Wednesday, March 02, 2011, 9:58 PM
By Khalil AlHajal | The Flint Journal

FLINT, Michigan — Residents, local officials and national-level experts plan to put their heads together next week in a federally funded brainstorming session on crime prevention related to vacant property.

Experts from the National Crime Prevention Center will tour the neighborhoods on March 8 and then facilitate the two-day "Crime Prevention Through Environmental Design" conference on March 9 and 10, said organizer John McGarry.

Dan Kildee, former Genesee County Treasurer, former Land Bank chairman and co-founder of the Washington-based Center for Community Progress, will keynote the event at the Haskell Community Center, 2201 Forest Hill Avenue.

McGarry described the conference as a "roll up your sleeves working session" to try to come up with new ideas to combat arson and other crimes related to vacant abandoned and foreclosed properties.

"The idea is to try to come up with a plan to deal with the implications of all the foreclosures and abandoned properties we have in Flint," he said. "There are some things you can do to positively impact it."

The city had 486 fires at vacant structures in 2010.

Similar conferences are being held in six cities around the country through U.S. Department of Justice Weed and Seed funds.

Crime Prevention Through Environmental Design principles are focused on access control, surveillance and maintenance surrounding vacant property.

McGarry, site director for Flint Downtown District Weed and Seed, said he hopes new, innovative ideas will come out of the event.

"We have neighborhood watches and we have all that stuff, but hopefully some new, great ideas can be generated," he said.

McGarry said about 30 people have registered so far and he hopes to have at least 50 take part in the conference.

He said officials from Detroit, Dearborn and Saginaw also plan to attend.

Contact McGarry at (810) 513 9381 or johnmcgar@aol.com to register. Cost is $5 for lunch.

Sponsored Links
Post Thu Mar 03, 2011 10:39 am 
Dave Starr
F L I N T O I D

I emailed the guy. Remains to be seen if I'll get a reply.

Pushing buttons sure can be fun.

When a lion wants to go somewhere, he doesn’t worry about how many hyenas are in the way.

Paddle faster, I hear banjos.
Post Thu Mar 03, 2011 2:43 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website  Reply with quote  

Jump to:  

Last Topic | Next Topic  >

Forum Rules: