FAQFAQ   SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlistRegisterRegister  ProfileProfile   Log in[ Log in ]  Flint Talk RSSFlint Talk RSS

»Home »Open Chat »Political Talk  Â»Flint Journal »Political Jokes »The Bob Leonard Show  

Flint Michigan online news magazine. We have lively web forums

FlintTalk.com Forum Index > Open chat

Topic: city of Flint is considering a $5 fee on late water

Author    Post Post new topic Reply to topic
Steve Myers
Site Admin
Site Admin

The city of Flint is considering enforcing a $5 fee on late water bill payments, a proposal that got mixed reviews from online readers.

Commenter Flintguy80 likes the idea:

"People need to learn that there are consequences for their actions. I applaud Councilman Freeman (who I don't always agree with) for this idea. This shouldn't be a black or white issue since I'm guessing there are quite a few people in the 4th Ward that would be punished by this."

Commenter stikitindeeeper wants to turn the tables on the city:

"Why doesn't anyone on here wonder why WE can't penalize the city for a change? like when you call the cops & they don't show-up? I'd like $50 dollars each time that happens. Or when my saftey as a taxpayer is compromised due to lack of policemen or firemen....I'd like to be awarded $500 Dollars for that."

http://www.mlive.com/news/flint/index.ssf/2010/11/from_the_comments_proposed_5_l.html

Post Fri Nov 05, 2010 6:13 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger  Reply with quote  
1pissedoffguy
F L I N T O I D

quote:
Steve Myers schreef:
The city of Flint is considering enforcing a $5 fee on late water bill payments, a proposal that got mixed reviews from online readers.

Commenter Flintguy80 likes the idea:

"People need to learn that there are consequences for their actions. I applaud Councilman Freeman (who I don't always agree with) for this idea. This shouldn't be a black or white issue since I'm guessing there are quite a few people in the 4th Ward that would be punished by this."

Commenter stikitindeeeper wants to turn the tables on the city:

"Why doesn't anyone on here wonder why WE can't penalize the city for a change? like when you call the cops & they don't show-up? I'd like $50 dollars each time that happens. Or when my saftey as a taxpayer is compromised due to lack of policemen or firemen....I'd like to be awarded $500 Dollars for that."

http://www.mlive.com/news/flint/index.ssf/2010/11/from_the_comments_proposed_5_l.html

I agree with the second citizen.Screw more fees,people have a hard enough time paying the bill in the first place ,that's why it is late. Freeman is a jerk. Hey, fine Freeman for every phone call or email he doesn't respond to, Charge all the council people for all the times they blow off the people they are supposedly representing. That would be one hell of a disincentive for them to run in the first place and thin out those people who are intending on running.
Post Fri Nov 05, 2010 8:43 pm 
Dave Starr
F L I N T O I D

I like that! Give the councilperson 48 hours to respond. After that, 5 bucks per day until they respond.

Pushing buttons sure can be fun.

When a lion wants to go somewhere, he doesn’t worry about how many hyenas are in the way.

Paddle faster, I hear banjos.
Post Sat Nov 06, 2010 8:57 am 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website  Reply with quote  
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

What about the late fee they already assess?

Is this in addition to that late fee?
Post Sun Nov 07, 2010 8:02 am 
1pissedoffguy
F L I N T O I D

quote:
untanglingwebs schreef:
What about the late fee they already assess?

Is this in addition to that late fee?

Probably Webs, anything to take more money from the people. With Obama and his party and the local guys their attitude seems to be " just give us your paychecks , we will decide how much we will let you keep" . I shouldn't have said that ,now we will see them writing bills to pass into law pretty much that idea. You Flint people should see how you all can go about getting the idea of charging the councilpeople fines for calls and emails they haven't returned or emails or other contact attempts made by citizens to reach them,into law, maybe a ballot proposal or something. Nothing huge, nickle and dime them to death like they do to you. Make them people really "feel your pain" to some extent.
Post Sun Nov 07, 2010 3:48 pm 
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

taxpayers will end up paying much of this fee. Families who have lost their unemployment have had to go on assistance. When I worked as a social worker, Families on assistance only had to pay a minimmum amount on their water bill. When they got a shutoff notice, the state paid the shutoff amount. When minimal payments had not been made, social service agencies often made the required minimum.
Post Thu Nov 11, 2010 8:17 pm 
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

My water bill for minimal service is about $40, so this late fee would exceed 10% and adding interest on top of that would be excessive. What rates would the law allow and would these rates be considered excessive. After all they just reduced the rates a credit card company can charge.
Post Thu Nov 25, 2010 12:14 pm 
Rushmoore
F L I N T O I D

Five Dollars for each 30 day lateness is reasonable. I would rather see them charge those who are late more than those of us who pay our bills.

Post Fri Jan 28, 2011 10:55 am 
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

With so many Flint residents on welfare, you as a taxppayer will end up paying the fee.
Post Thu Feb 10, 2011 10:08 am 

Jump to:  

Last Topic | Next Topic  >

Forum Rules: