FAQFAQ   SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlistRegisterRegister  ProfileProfile   Log in[ Log in ]  Flint Talk RSSFlint Talk RSS

»Home »Open Chat »Political Talk  Â»Flint Journal »Political Jokes »The Bob Leonard Show  

Flint Michigan online news magazine. We have lively web forums

FlintTalk.com Forum Index > Open chat

Topic: Status of Golf Course Privatization?

Author    Post Post new topic Reply to topic
munnbreslin
F L I N T O I D

Does anyone know what the status of the plan to privatize city golf courses is at the moment? On monday city officials said they were in negotiations, wondering if anyone on the inside knew anything.
Post Sat Feb 20, 2010 3:32 pm 
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

At the Wednesday council committee meeting Eason stated he had not known about the clause in the union contracts which stated the union had the right to compete with any attempt to outsource union jobs. As a result the head of AFSCME Council 25 , Larry Ward, notified Eason and the unions are putting together a business plan to operate a least some of the golf courses.

Last edited by untanglingwebs on Sat Feb 20, 2010 4:47 pm; edited 1 time in total
Post Sat Feb 20, 2010 3:39 pm 
munnbreslin
F L I N T O I D

Webs, so overall what are the possibilities of the golf courses remaining open, even if under union control. As long as they are open.
Post Sat Feb 20, 2010 4:33 pm 
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

It appears Swartz Creek will be open. kearsley is usually a money maker but sewer construction two years ago damaged the course.

Even if the courses close they must be maintained and mowed.
Post Sat Feb 20, 2010 4:49 pm 
munnbreslin
F L I N T O I D

So is Mott Park looking like a closed situation?
Post Sat Feb 20, 2010 5:14 pm 
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

Mot Park is only a 9 hole course and is located in a flood plain. It may not be attractive enough for a management company. Perhaps Kettering could find a use. The Flint Jr. Golf league likes this course, The city cannot sell as there are deed restrictions.
Post Mon Feb 22, 2010 3:03 pm 
FlintCityMole
F L I N T O I D

Eason is working on it but nothing finalized.
Post Mon Feb 22, 2010 9:36 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website  Reply with quote  
munnbreslin
F L I N T O I D

Well as long as its moving forwards. I love golfing there. Did alot last summer.
Post Mon Feb 22, 2010 9:51 pm 
whiteknight
F L I N T O I D

I was speaking with someone last night about the mott course and they have an offer in place. He lives right off the course and does not want to see it turn into a "hayfield". His plan and ideas to make the course turn a profit sounds good, but now the union wants to try and "bid" on the job. I just hope that administration gets this thing going and make a desision about this. We want and need places for recreation and ht egolf courses are a good choise. But the citizens can no longer afford to pay a "cashier" %60,000 + a year to collect money for golf and not even understand the game. Unions are a good thing but the leadership has failed by defending and supporting worthless employees who don't want to do the job they are paid for.
Post Tue Feb 23, 2010 10:44 am 
munnbreslin
F L I N T O I D

So any new news on this topic? Seems somewhat dead lately?
Post Sat Feb 27, 2010 12:09 am 
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

Eason made some confusing comments last week at council committee. Freeman questioned Eason, but could not get a straigt answer.

the IMA has backed out of Pierce golfcouse contract. eason was to have a meeting with larry Roerhrig and Sam Muma on the next day, Thursday. They were going to have to demonstrate the union could significantly improve the revenues on the golf courses or Eason would come up with another option.

The confusion came when Eason said they had to keep the golf courses open until September or lose $700,000. He never explained the connection
or where the $700,000 came in. This was after saying the revenues from golf passes were way down as people were concerned about whether the courses would open.

I have not heard any thing else and Muma will only smile when asked how the meeting went with Eason. With Roerhrig, i am sure Eason had a "come to Jesus experience" as I don't believe he is experienced enough to deal with a real labor leader.

Rumor are that Eason was trying to work a deal with the IMA and some youth programs to do some of the grass cutting using the city tractors,etc,
The Walling crew are slow learners when it comes to how government works. The city does not own the oak Business Center, the Economic development Corporation does and the city must pay rent to use a portion of the facility.
Post Thu Mar 25, 2010 6:42 pm 
FlintBeerMan
F L I N T O I D

quote:
untanglingwebs schreef:
Mot Park is only a 9 hole course and is located in a flood plain. It may not be attractive enough for a management company. Perhaps Kettering could find a use. The Flint Jr. Golf league likes this course, The city cannot sell as there are deed restrictions.

Lets make it into a drag strip

Post Thu Mar 25, 2010 10:53 pm 
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

Only Swartz Creek will reopen. The other three will close. mott park will become a nature preserve? Does that mean no grass cuting?
Post Wed Mar 31, 2010 8:43 pm 
andi03
F L I N T O I D

****Only Swartz Creek will reopen. The other three will close. mott park will become a nature preserve? Does that mean no grass cuting?****

Out here in the sticks, that's exactly what it means...a field..
Post Wed Mar 31, 2010 9:08 pm 
munnbreslin
F L I N T O I D

Nature preserve sounds better than nothing. All for-mar is is a nature preserve, and people love it. Its best to have something like that for the community, and its too bad they couldn't be privatized. Anyone know why, although I think I have a good idea.
Post Wed Mar 31, 2010 10:38 pm 

Jump to:  

Last Topic | Next Topic  >

Forum Rules: