FAQFAQ   SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlistRegisterRegister  ProfileProfile   Log in[ Log in ]  Flint Talk RSSFlint Talk RSS

»Home »Open Chat »Political Talk  Â»Flint Journal »Political Jokes »The Bob Leonard Show  

Flint Michigan online news magazine. We have lively web forums

FlintTalk.com Forum Index > Open chat

Topic: Incentives for businesses to relocate or expand to Flint?

Author    Post Post new topic Reply to topic
MyBridgeCard.com
F L I N T O I D

I'm intersted in information about incentive programs available locally and through the state to relocate to Flint? Most of our delivery customers for GFO, based north of Mt.Pleasant are in Flint - or at least it's the fastest growing new customer area. Having watched a program that featured a small business owner opening up a barber shop near flemming and pierson, I remember they mentioned how through landbank and a couple other agencies the proprty was taken from disheveled to a clean prosperous business, at little expense to the owner - and I'm interested in doing something simular, and bringing at least a few jobs back to Flint.

However, when I contacted landbank I was told they only have a couple commercial buildings available, and looked at the site they directed me to, found a perfect building on south MLK, an old firehouse with plenty of room for vehicles, walkin-freezers etc , for GFO - untill i looked at their asking price of $800,000.00 - are you kidding me? I just need a building not the whole block. Any program suggestions or vacant building ideas would be greatly appreciated. Maybe even a house that was converted to commercial use that still had a couple rooms that can be used as a residence - instead of continuing to pay crazy motel bills every month. And who to contact about incentive programs unique to Flint to bring business here.

(I wouldn't qualify for a minority program - but could throw a towel around my head and speak broken english, for the tax breaks if it helps - ok disreguard the sarchasic vent) But I do look forward to your ideas. Thanks Guys.

Post Wed Feb 10, 2010 9:29 am 
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website  Reply with quote  
andi03
F L I N T O I D

There are a plethora of other places, you would probably just need to Google commercial real estate genesee county.
Post Wed Feb 10, 2010 9:53 am 
Gumby
F L I N T O I D

Yeah that fire house is owned by Gary Hartley. He is a jack ass slumlord and asks way too much for his properties. Just check out the 800 sqft house at 413 N Grand Traverse listed for $84900. My friend rented that place for a year it is a dump and I wouldn't give him $10000 for it. How do you seriously list that place at that amount Ryan?
Post Wed Feb 10, 2010 10:41 am 
Furnitureguy
F L I N T O I D

If you look at some of that realtors listings within the city limits you would think he is crazy or a total fraud seeking a sucker. I cant imagine why anyone would want to pay 1000 times what something is worth. No honorable appraisal company would agree with anything close to their estimates of "value"...This has been a pet peeve of mine for many years down there. People like this should be stopped.
Post Wed Feb 10, 2010 3:41 pm 
back again
F L I N T O I D

for sale prices for commercial buildings are a problem in fint. a decade ago i inquired about the old shoe factory about half mile north of the saginaw st. bridge,on the west side of saginaw st. was considering using a portion of the main floor for my business and renting out the unused space and living upstairs. ahhhh, it would have been perfect!!!!
all i remember about the incident was laughing a the real estate person after he quoted the price. if this thing (new flint plans) are to be successful perhaps realtors and owners of these properties should be brought into the fold of the city group responsible for growing flint?

even a small act of goodness may be a tiny raft of salvation across the treacherous gulf of sin, but one who drinks the wine of selfishness, and dances on the little boat of meaness, sinks in the ocean of ignorance.
P.Y.
Post Wed Feb 10, 2010 4:47 pm 
twotap
F L I N T O I D

They can Appraise it for whatever a building is only worth what someone will pay. Let these guys eat em.

Post Wed Feb 10, 2010 9:50 pm 
Adam
F L I N T O I D

Call Granholm/the Michigan Developement corp, your state rep, perhaps even the mayors office. Somebody might have a welfare program for you. If not you could make a movie. That should qualify you for some welfare payments.
Post Wed Feb 10, 2010 11:17 pm 
back again
F L I N T O I D

welfare program????? whaa??? Shocked Shocked

even a small act of goodness may be a tiny raft of salvation across the treacherous gulf of sin, but one who drinks the wine of selfishness, and dances on the little boat of meaness, sinks in the ocean of ignorance.
P.Y.
Post Wed Feb 10, 2010 11:26 pm 
Adam
F L I N T O I D

"Welfare"/"free" government money.
Post Thu Feb 11, 2010 2:20 am 
twotap
F L I N T O I D

Link

Post Thu Feb 11, 2010 8:52 am 
MyBridgeCard.com
F L I N T O I D

quote:
Adam schreef:
Call Granholm/the Michigan Developement corp, your state rep, perhaps even the mayors office. Somebody might have a welfare program for you. If not you could make a movie. That should qualify you for some welfare payments.

Maybe you mis-understood my question. With Flint's economic challenges - I thought they'd have incentives for small business owners to expand or open new business in Flint. Although it would likely create only about 10 local jobs to start - I could simply continue as I have been - deivering to an expanding customer base in Flint - and spending the $ north near Mt.Pleasnt and provide nothing for Flints economy. My idea is to purchase an eyesore unoccupied building (of which there is no shortage in Flint as businesses close, or relocate to less crime-ridden, or better income producing locations) - fix it up, provide processing and delivery jobs for an established business that already takes money from the area and reinvest it in the community that provides one of it's larger customer bases. I don't need Welfare - but thanks for the reply.

If someone has a building in mind that would work well for a small food biz, and knows of specific incentive programs offered by Flint to offer a reason to open up shop in Flint as opposed to a neighboring community, with less crime - please post here or PM. If someone from economic development, landbank, or the mayors office happens to trip over this post - now's your chance to do what you said you wanted to for Flint. Unless I change my mind and begin producing and acccepting auditions for another movie about Flint in the meanwhile.

Post Mon Mar 22, 2010 2:04 am 
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website  Reply with quote  

Jump to:  

Last Topic | Next Topic  >

Forum Rules: