FAQFAQ   SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlistRegisterRegister  ProfileProfile   Log in[ Log in ]  Flint Talk RSSFlint Talk RSS

»Home »Open Chat »Political Talk  Â»Flint Journal »Political Jokes »The Bob Leonard Show  

Flint Michigan online news magazine. We have lively web forums

FlintTalk.com Forum Index > Political Talk

Topic: Police to try 12 hour shifts

Author    Post Post new topic Reply to topic
Dave Starr
F L I N T O I D

The journal reports that the police will give 12 hour shifts a try. Will we have the same 10 officers on the street we have now, or a different number?

Pushing buttons sure can be fun.

When a lion wants to go somewhere, he doesn’t worry about how many hyenas are in the way.

Paddle faster, I hear banjos.
Post Fri Jan 15, 2010 6:19 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website  Reply with quote  
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

Flint patrol officers will undergo shift change to cut costs
By Laura Misjak | The Flint Journal
January 15, 2010, 2:37PM
FLINT, Michigan — Patrol officers will begin working two, 12-hour shifts beginning Jan. 24, Flint Police Officer’s Association president Keith Speer said.

The union voted nearly 2-to-1 in favor of the temporary shift change from the three, eight-hour shift days.

The four-month trial period will determine whether the cost-cutting measure will become permanent.

Overtime costs will be cut and more officers should be patrolling the streets with no increase in payroll under the measure, Speer said.

Speer and other officers in the union were re-elected to a two-year term as well Wednesday night, he said.

Story tags: flint | police

Comments (4 total) RSSPost a commentOldest comments are shown first. Show newest comments first
Posted by shanedr
January 15, 2010, 3:09PM
I hope that doesn't mean our police officers only have a 24 hour work week? Someone tell me that ain't so.

Inappropriate comment? Alert us.
Reply to this comment | Post a new comment
Posted by flintsalive
January 15, 2010, 3:25PM
Typically, when cops work 12 hour shifts, they work 3 days one week and then four the next, and the cycle continues. So, officers are paid 42 hours of regular time each week. That's how I have seen it done . . . you never know about Flint.

Inappropriate comment? Alert us.
Reply to this comment | Post a new comment
Posted by iminside
January 15, 2010, 4:12PM
The officers and supervisors assigned to the patrol division will be switching to the 12 hours shifts. They will continue to work 80 hours per pay(every 2 weeks). The pay period will include one 8 hours shift to equal out the hours. The officers will work a maximum of 3 days in a row, and will have every other weekend off.
Post Fri Jan 15, 2010 6:34 pm 
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

BAH836
F L I N T O I D

quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
untanglingwebs schreef:
How will 12 hr shifts work for community police? The two don't seem compatible.
How are you balancing out the hours? Three 12 hour shifts are only 36 hours a week. Will the Flint Police have to be on a different pay schedule to get full pay as a scheduled work day does not include overtime pay.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'm not sure what you mean by not compatible, but I would propose putting half on a day shift and the other half on a cover shift (3p-3a) or something along those lines. In other municipalities, community police work 10 hour shifts, but they are able to flex their hours depending on the needs of the neighborhood they are assigned to.

A straight 12 hour shift schedule works out to 84 hours in a pay period (7 working days in a 14 day period). Each agency varies on how to handle the extra 4 hours. Some agencies pay the extra four hours in overtime pay or comp time. Others replace one 12 hour shift with an 8 hour shift to equal 80 hours. Some even work two 10 hour shifts instead of straight 12's to remove the extra four hours.

Below is an example of a straight 12 hour schedule. Notice on week two, the employee only works 2 days.

Mon- work
Tues- work
Wed- off
Thur- off
Fri- work
Sat- work
Sun- work
Mon- off
Tue- off
Wed- work
Thur- work
Fri- off
Sat- off
Sun- off

Mon Nov 02, 2009 2:29 pm

countynews
F L I N T O I D

Your schedule works as you would have the employees working 14, twelve hour days in a 28 day period for a total of 168 hours. No OT is required until after 171 hours as the FLSA has special provisions regarding the payment of OT for police and fire personnel. Of course, these provisions would be negotiable but on its face, the law would provides what you are looking for without the need to pay OT.

For your reference, Section 7(k) of the FLSA provides that employees engaged in fire protection or law enforcement may be paid overtime on a "work period" basis. A "work period" may be from 7 consecutive days to 28 consecutive days in length. For example, fire protection personnel are due overtime under such a plan after 212 hours worked during a 28-day period, while law enforcement personnel must receive overtime after 171 hours worked during a 28-day period. For work periods of at least 7 but less than 28 days, overtime pay is required when the number of hours worked exceeds the number of hours which bears the same relationship to 212 (fire) or 171 (police) as the number of days in the work period bears to 28.

Mon Nov 02, 2009 3:25 pm
Post Fri Jan 15, 2010 6:37 pm 
andi03
F L I N T O I D

A lot of outbound areas are trying to do this but it is not being advocated. What is beneficial is that certain studies indicate that officers are more productive with this kind of schedule and it IS desired from those officers.
Post Sat Jan 16, 2010 11:31 pm 
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

Andi- Flint Police Dept. has historically been overbudget in overtime. This excerpt is from an earlier thread created after Walling threatened 312 arbitration on tv. BAH 836 has been very patient about explaining issues to a lay person and supports the change.

untanglingwebs
F L I N T O I D

BAH 836- 12 hour shifts don't always work.

This is a hot issue in LA where the LA TIMES Editorial had an opinion on it........

Unlike those in other large police departments across the country, most patrol officers in Los Angeles work just three 12-hour days a week. The sweetness of this schedule cannot be underestimated, and it is wildly popular with the rank and file. Officers have more time to recharge and recover from their physically and emotionally taxing work. They have more time for their families. They have more time for second jobs. They rack up more overtime pay, and the handful who reside out of state have more time to jet between work and their homes in Idaho and Las Vegas.

Because of the short workweek, the city has paid millions in overtime that it otherwise wouldn't have. It also has fewer cops patrolling the streets than if they worked a four-day week, as is far more standard for large urban police departments. Last fall, a city study found that response times are longer, and certain neighborhoods have so small a patrol presence that they could be designated police-free zones. Now, in an excruciatingly tight budget year, the city is projecting a $16-million deficit for the department, a chunk of which is overtime the city must pay officers when they're on call to appear in court on their days off.

The LA Times points to Honolulu PD that had a 12 hour day and switched back to 8 hour days. Star- Bulletin of Honolulu.

Mon Nov 02, 2009 9:31 am

untanglingwebs
F L I N T O I D

Many police departments are switching to 12 hour dys to reduce supervisory costs. They also note that many officers work second jobs. It appears the main drawbacks are in court scheduling and covering for employees on sick leave.
However I would draw the line at allowing an officer to work overtime after a 12 hour shift. Another problem is an incident occurring close to shift change that requires paperwork lasting past the shift.
Also not all officers prefer this schedule. Some deparments have returned to 10 hour and 8 hour, as well as flex shifts.. Only time will tell.

Mon Nov 02, 2009 10:05 am
Post Sun Jan 17, 2010 7:37 am 
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

Andi- Police Chief magazine from Dec. 2009 supports 12 hr shifts. Only time will tell in Flint.

Shift-Schedule-Design.com/Examples A Look at the 12-Hour Shift - Police Chief Magazine - View ArticleThe 12-hour shifts provided the right balance in their lives and renewed their enthusiasm for police work. Job satisfaction and morale are extremely high ...
http://policechiefmagazine.org/magazine/index.cfm?fuseaction=display_arch&article_id=1435&issue_id=32008 - 28k - Cached - Similar pages

Michigan Police Department: 12-Hour Shift Concerns | POAM Journals ...Michigan Police Department considers 12-hour shift to improve quality of life for police officers & their families. 12-hour shift outweighs concerns | POAM ...
http://www.poam.net/main/journal/fresh-look-at-12-hour-shifts.html - 22k - Cached - Similar pages
Template Examples
Post Sun Jan 17, 2010 8:17 am 

Jump to:  

Last Topic | Next Topic  >

Forum Rules: