FAQFAQ   SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlistRegisterRegister  ProfileProfile   Log in[ Log in ]  Flint Talk RSSFlint Talk RSS

»Home »Open Chat »Political Talk  Â»Flint Journal »Political Jokes »The Bob Leonard Show  

Flint Michigan online news magazine. We have lively web forums

FlintTalk.com Forum Index > Open chat

Topic: Join New Flint Area Chamber of Commerce

Author    Post Post new topic Reply to topic
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

On Friday, January 8, 2010 at 7:30 a.m in Blackstones the new Flint Area Chamber of Commerce will be throwing an event to aquaint area businesses with what the Chamber has to offer.
For more information Contact the Chamber at (810) 397-9159
office located at 927 N. Saginaw Street
www.NewFlintChamber.com

________________________________________________________________________By The Flint Journal
August 06, 2009, 3:00PM
FLINT, Michigan -- The prominent campaign headquarters of former mayor Don Williamson is the ideal spot to promote the new Flint Area Chamber of Commerce, its founder said.

Nick Singelis said the chamber, which formed about three months ago has been slowly moving into the building at 927 S. Saginaw St. (at Court Street) for a couple of weeks but hopes to be completely in by Aug. 31.

"It's one of the greatest spots in downtown Flint," he said. "It's perfect. It's in a great location."

The Flint Area Chamber's goal is to help young entrepreneurs start businesses, Singelis said.

"Our focus is trying to move away from the older style of doing things (and) focus on younger individuals," he said. "Our whole goal is to focus on the people who are not being taken care of currently."

He added that another of the chamber's focuses will be to routinely advocate for small businesses.

Fifteen people sit on the chamber's board and there are about 50 members so far, although Singelis declined to give details about any of the businesses.

Singelis realizes some people might be skeptical about what he's trying to do, but he said he wants to see Flint flourish.

"What I'm doing is kind of bucking against the system," he said. "But going with the flow is not going to make us better."

Stan Blood, vice president of the Genesee Regional Chamber of Commerce, said another chamber is just another way of helping out the businesses.

"I think the real issue is a Chamber of Commerce usually serves to reach the needs of their members," he said. "If there's another area that can make that happen, that's a good thing."

Blood believes, however, that the Genesee Regional Chamber of Commerce has multiple programs that may better assist businesses.

"All the other chambers do wonderful work," he said. "(But) I think there is a clear difference between our organization and theirs -- public policy and business advocacy."

Singelis said the Flint Area Chamber of Commerce is not trying to be a rival to anyone.

The organization is just trying to promote business and strengthen the economy by making sure all businesses are being involved in the city's policies and decisions.

"We are no longer going to allow Flint dollars to spread countywide," Singelis said.
The Flint Area Chamber of Commerce's Web site, thenewflintchamber.org, will kick off Aug. 31, where a complete business directory can be found.

Posted by munnbreslin
August 06, 2009, 6:23PM
Ok FlintRocks your like all of the other people on Mlive. You sit around and complain and whine about proactive people while simultaniously providing no alternative. We dont need people who will whine constantly. Heck Flint could get a billion dollar grant and im sure you would find a way to make it seem bad. The idea of a flint based chamber is good. The GRCC has been taking city money and putting it into the suburbs, the FACC should stop that. We need to be proactive. So if you have an alternative to what Nick is doing please tell us all, but until that point, stop your whining and constant pessimism. Your only holding progress back.

Posted by nicksingelis
August 06, 2009, 11:13PM
Hey everyone, thanks for the comments. If you would like to meet with me and discuss you thoughts and concerns, I would be open to it.

My personal cell number is 810 282 6363 and my email is nsingelis@mac.com

Nick

Posted by aljoman
August 07, 2009, 8:27AM
Ok Ok, here is my 2 cents worth, knowing Nick for just a short time; I don't know his history with his ex or the financial difficulties he faced trying to renovate an old dilapidated building, and as far as a bar bill who hasn’t gotten up from a table and innocently walked out the door, come on people.

But let’s get back on subject, “Flint Area Chamber of Commerce taking over downtown headquarters of former Flint mayor Don Williamson” the article is not about Don Williamson, It’s about a new beginning, Don Williamson just happened to occupy the building at one time, what difference does it make who owns the building? Is being a tenant a bad thing?

Being a City of Flint business owner myself and a commercial landlord, I don’t judge peoples past when I see the spirit in them to start a new business, I have also seen them fail, but perhaps the new Flint Chamber is another avenue for them to succeed.

I am a current member of the Genesee Regional Chamber, but I ask the following question. Why is Flint, the largest community in Genesee County the only city that does not have its own chamber, why be called “Genesee Regional” and still have the “Grand Blanc, Davison. Clio. Swartz Creek, Burton and many other local chambers? Why have they not combined into the regional umbrella?

For a one year membership, $99.00 seems like a cheap bet for our future, people you can still belong to both chambers, it’s a free country.

JWS
Post Sat Jan 02, 2010 3:03 pm 
Steve Myers
Site Admin
Site Admin

This is pretty old news, why post it now?

BTW
What will the "NEW" FCC do that the old one isn't already doing?

Post Sat Jan 02, 2010 3:16 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger  Reply with quote  
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

The Genesee Chamber has been criticized for emphasizing the out county and not involving minority and small Flint businesses. The Flint Chamber is serving that group. Even with all of the zones and theoretical oportunities that existed, Flint has seen minimal results except for the large venture efforts.

The downtown group searched for a minority member to counter criticism. Most of the Chambers leadership does not live in Flint. I believe Duane Miller lives about 35 miles away. They have laid off people because they have been unable to demonstrate their effectiveness in bringing jobs to
Flint. Most of the downtown efforts have been driven by private enterprise.

The New chamber is in the process of creating new packages and have embarked on a more aggressive avenue for assisting these previously unserved businesses. The combining of the previous chambers into one has not proven to be beneficial to many Flint businesses.
Post Sat Jan 02, 2010 5:50 pm 

Jump to:  

Last Topic | Next Topic  >

Forum Rules: