FAQFAQ   SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlistRegisterRegister  ProfileProfile   Log in[ Log in ]  Flint Talk RSSFlint Talk RSS

»Home »Open Chat »Political Talk  Â»Flint Journal »Political Jokes »The Bob Leonard Show  

Flint Michigan online news magazine. We have lively web forums

FlintTalk.com Forum Index > Open chat

Topic: A post from a former WFUM-er

Author    Post Post new topic Reply to topic
SerenityNow
F L I N T O I D

Let me just state that I sometimes read, but never post here. I had decided to after reading some posts/comments about the Station and the hope that someone who had worked at WFUM would post something. I know that a couple of us might be lurking about, but I thought I'd take the opportunity to post. Others may chime in. And these are just my thoughts after 20+ years of service.

So I'll try to answer, as best I can, some of the comments.

First- "Doesn't anyone care.....?" from Ryan. We had the same questions internally. More at the University and the lack thereof of any kind of vision of what they have in a TV Station. Where it's been. What it has accomplished as a Community Service. It seems the Public had always backed us more than the University. In Ann Arbor, most had no clue they even HAD a Television Station. I can't tell you how many times we had a tour with University officials.....and it had been their first time here! Because they didn't know we existed!! Then they'd go back to the Platnium side of the State and forget. Over and over.

2nd- Ted's comment about "U of M-Flint did so little with it." Well I agree on the U of M-Flint part...but were you around in the late 80's and early 90's? We had a DAILY program that aired every single day, about Flint, about people in Flint. There was a major push to do a new show...every single day! Not a repeat. This was a WFUM Management decision. U of M-Flint had nothing to do with us as far as guidance, but did support us financially. Not our entire budget, but it was something. We were always on our own as far as decision making. Anyway.....that went on for about 3 years. Then, a new Senior manager came in and canned the Producer (along with several other positions/people) and the ultimate cut....removed the Student workforce that made these programs possible. So we then had a Staff go from about 50 to 24 overnight. That took the wind out of our sails completely. And when someone left, voluntarily or otherwise, they were never replaced. Thats like driving your car, till the gas runs out of the tank....but expecting it to stay running.

3rd- "The potential was never realized...." So true! We had Emmy winners in that Station....from Set-Design, to Directing, to Lighting and others! These weren't green people, fresh out of College. We all had worked in Commercial Television and Freelanced with some big names. The experience and commitment level of everyone there....and I mean EVERYONE.....was top notch! We all went out of our way to make sure that what went on the air was with the highest quality possible.

It was a complete shock to all of us that day, when Senior Management came from Ann Arbor to announce they were cutting the Station and selling it outright. For a month, most of us walked around and were just shaking our heads. Sure some of it was "what are we [personally] going to do now?"....but alot of it was "they just spent MILLIONS of dollars building a special building, on a special foundation, for sound dampening of the Studio. We just moved the Control Room (from Mott), to here with State-of-the-Art, Digital Equipment. The Transmitter had been completely reworked. We get it all running smooth....and they pull the plug!?!?! Why didnt they do that before all of this time and money was spent?" And at the end of the announcement 'meeting', a "Go Blue" statement was made by one of the Senior Management. I think that was because they were nervous as all hell standing up there, telling 20+ people they just lost their jobs. My later thoughts, after I had time to reflect were..."Go BLOW!" In retrospect, I wish I could travel back in time, just to say that.

So, ladies and gentlemen, it has been an interesting ride. On behalf of everyone at WFUM, I want to personally thank all of you who have supported that Station through the years. We did our best and all whom ever walked through those doors should be proud.

Hopefully, CMU can do a better job.
Post Thu Dec 17, 2009 1:26 pm 
John Wilson
F L I N T O I D

When I worked at UofM Flint the department I worked at the Learning Resources Center and we were part WFUM( at least for the first few years I worked for LRC) . 28 did have some talented people, Forrest " Woody" Godsey had won an Emmy or two. Paul Manning , great guy, so was Cliff Sanford. If the people of WFUM had been given more support they would have been one of the top PBS stations in the U.S. I think. We lost a big assett here in Flint when we lost WFUM, I don't care if CMU does a good job(I have nothing against them at all) it is damn shame that the branch of the University of Michgan here in Flint lost this very important part of itself. There could have been so many great documentaries and other shows procuced here locally that may never be created . I know a few of the people that worked there that are already gone, I also know a couple of others who just lost their jobs there now. Some very dedicated and decent people. All I can say to these more recent victims is that I hope the best for you all, I think you got the short end of the stick and I hope some day maybe the people in charge at UofM may some day realize what they let go.
Post Thu Dec 17, 2009 7:20 pm 

Jump to:  

Last Topic | Next Topic  >

Forum Rules: