FAQFAQ   SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlistRegisterRegister  ProfileProfile   Log in[ Log in ]  Flint Talk RSSFlint Talk RSS

»Home »Open Chat »Political Talk  Â»Flint Journal »Political Jokes »The Bob Leonard Show  

Flint Michigan online news magazine. We have lively web forums

FlintTalk.com Forum Index > Political Talk

Topic: ADvance solutions gets city deal

Author    Post Post new topic Reply to topic
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

Swiped from Terry Bankert's thread

untanglingwebs
F L I N T O I D

has anyone else noticed Advanced Solutions shares the same address as Greater Eastside Community Center. (DLEG Michigan corporations) Kate was Executive Director and Josh Freeman was the registered agent of GECA. The last IRS reported 990 (nonprofit tax report) was in 2005 and showed Freeman as President of the Board of Directors of GECA. (guidestar.com gives info on all nonprofits as reported by the IRS)
Is this Wallings "change" coming to city hall. More cronyism and political payoffs.
Look at the register of deeds and see the number of GECA properties in forfeiture.

Wed Nov 25, 2009 3:32 pm

Dave Starr
F L I N T O I D

Some people probably feel it's ok, as long as Don's not doing it.

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote." ~Benjamin Franklin

Wed Nov 25, 2009 3:52 pm

back again
F L I N T O I D

freeman as president!!!!!!
well i'll just be damned!!!!!!! it's like that eh?????

Stanley Milgram 1974, American Social Psychologist.

Wed Nov 25, 2009 5:05 pm

00SL2
F L I N T O I D

quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
untanglingwebs schreef:
The last IRS reported 990 (nonprofit tax report) was in 2005 and showed Freeman as President of the Board of Directors of GECA. (guidestar.com gives info on all nonprofits as reported by the IRS)
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I would not use GuideStar as an official source. I just looked up another nonprofit I know files a 990 every year and it isn't shown. Nonprofits can register with GuideStar and provide information voluntarily. Nothing for the organization I looked up is shown now on GuideStar except their name and Flint zip code--because the organization has determined they didn't need to be listed there. They are listed in IRS Publication 78 as a nonprofit. If they don't file a Form 990 they don't get listed in Publication 78. The Greater Eastside Community Association is listed in Publication 78 on IRS website, take it from there.

Wed Nov 25, 2009 11:38 pm

untanglingwebs
F L I N T O I D

The irs site revealed nothing new. Foundation finder is another site. Guidestar gets the information directly from the IRS and is the source that many news agencies use. A reporter friend turned me on to the site and I have seen other reporters cite this reference.
I picked up much of this info during the lawsuit between GECA and the city.
You may be missing my point. Federal guidelines are sometimes very rigid. HUD for example,wants an agency to be evaluated for performance before issuing another HOME contract and they provide a very simple evaluation tool. Genesee County uses it but sometimes deviates from heir staff evaluations. Flint, in the past was remiss and that has led tomany of the problems.
Mission of Peace received funding although they owed tens of thusands of dollars in taxes. MSHDA once held up funding for GECA because they owed over $3,000 in taxes.
A KEY POINT IS DUE DILIGENCE!
Kurtz should never hve given GECA or Flint West Village the large "Lame Duck" grants he did days before he left the city. I recently reviewed the bankruptcy filingsof Flint West Village.Years ago Kildee had told me what to look for with this agency. Many parcels were overvalued and the Director begged the Board of Directors to buy back parcels before the audit. The agency fought the Land bank because they needed the inflated value of their holdings to look solvent.
Kettering Vice president David Doherty was charged under the bankruptcy. When he realized the company was going under he purchased three parcels, which he later transferred to Kettering. The bankruptcy court argued the property was sld at a deflated rate. After some negotiation, Kettering paid more for the property but not the price originally demanded.
Flint continued to give Kettering money although they were losing properties to forfeiture and foreclosure with the land bank. This was not due diligence per HUD rules.
It was my understanding the federal government was going to evaluate the process for granting the stimulous money. Flint has a poor track record for using due diligenge in their grant process. In the past staff, city council, and the City Wide Advisory Council did not appropriately take HUD regulations into consideration.

Thu Nov 26, 2009 2:34 am

untanglingwebs
F L I N T O I D

Regarding GECA- the lawsuit with the city revealed the agency was fined by the IRS for untimely filing their 990. Their 2005 was filed over a year late as evidenced by the time date stamp on the document.

Thu Nov 26, 2009 2:38 am

untanglingwebs
F L I N T O I D

http://tfcny.fdncenter.org/990s/990search/esearch.php - -

The Foundation Center has a huge data base and like Guidestar it draws from the IRS master base.
They too show the 2005 990 as the last one filed. The report is 21 pages and shows losses from Bingo. HUD requires an up to date audit to apply.

Thu Nov 26, 2009 3:00 am

untanglingwebs
F L I N T O I D

Searched for: GREATER EASTSIDE COMMUNITY ASSOCIATION

ID Num: 734766

Entity Name: GREATER EASTSIDE COMMUNITY ASSOCIATION

Type of Entity: Domestic Nonprofit Corporation
Resident Agent: JOSHUA FREEMAN

Registered Office Address: 2804 N FRANKLIN AVENUE FLINT MI 48506
Mailing Address: MI

Formed Under Act Number(s): 162-1982

Incorporation/Qualification Date: 5-25-1995

Jurisdiction of Origin: MICHIGAN

Number of Shares: 0

Year of Most Recent Annual Report: 08

Year of Most Recent Annual Report With Officers & Directors: 06

Thu Nov 26, 2009 8:49 am

untanglingwebs
F L I N T O I D

http://www.eri-nonprofit-salaries.com/index.cfm?FuseAction
This is the link to the Economic Research Institute and they too get the 990's directly from the IRS master base. The information differs little from guidestar as the last 990 filed was in February of 2007 for the year 2005. This is supposed to be completed within 180 days. GECA did not reserve the money to pay for their audit and blamed the city. The audit expenses are part of the budget submitted for grants.
Your IRS 78 link also shows Flint West Village although they have gone through bankruptcy. The board dissolved a long time ago because they had no money for Board of Directors liability insurance,

Thu Nov 26, 2009 1:09 pm

back again
F L I N T O I D

this is humiliating. to think most people only focus on the economically challenged and crime as flints main problem. there is a much greater crime being perpetuated. damn....

Stanley Milgram 1974, American Social Psychologist.

Thu Nov 26, 2009 1:34 pm
Post Sat Nov 28, 2009 3:35 pm 
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

Check Flint City beat for story on $1.1 million dollar energy grant. Kristen Longley Nov 24
Post Sat Nov 28, 2009 8:33 pm 
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

PDF] City of Flint, Michigan File Format: PDF/Adobe Acrobat - Quick View
City Council meeting minutes 0f August 5,2009 pg 16
Council President James Ananich asked the administrtion for a resolution for Advanced Solutions to develop an energy efficiency and conservation strategy for council review.
Also resolution 090709 for Clean Energy Coalition (CEC) and Recycling Systems $227,229.00
Ananich was former President of the Board of Directors of GECA, of which Kate Fields was the executive director.
Post Sat Nov 28, 2009 9:25 pm 
Pachuco
F L I N T O I D

Hey where were you and concerned citizen during Don Willamson's tenure as Mayor?
Post Sat Nov 28, 2009 11:12 pm 
back again
F L I N T O I D

what does it matter. hell i fully supported him because i believed him being out of the loop and experienced in business was a great idea.....alas........eventually i was proven wrong..stuff happens!!

even a small act of goodness may be a tiny raft of salvation across the treacherous gulf of sin, but one who drinks the wine of selfishness, and dances on the little boat of meaness, sinks in the ocean of ignorance.
P.Y.
Post Sun Nov 29, 2009 2:40 am 
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

Pachuco- What does it matter where I was? I'm here now.
See the Flint Journal story and see where Old Flint Guy is going to the US Attorney on this issue. He has done a lot of reseaech on Kate.
Obviously you approve of Kate and Ananich's deception.
Post Sun Nov 29, 2009 7:41 am 
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

OldFlintguy on the Journal site may have a point. The rules on stimulus abuse within the American Recovery and Investment Act of 2009 (ARRA) need only a "reasonable belief" to initiate an investigation.
Among issues to be considered:

*abuse of authority related to the use of stimulus funds Also stated as the abuse of authority relared to the implementation or use of covered funds.

*contract procurement and grant fraud

*violation of law, rule or regulation related to an agency contract (including completion or negotiation of a contract.

Oldflintguy is making a formal complaint with more than one agency.

On resolution 090709 from the */19/09 Finance committee this contract was to go to Clean Energy Coalition and was dropped.The only 2 to vote no was Hill and Nelson.
Post Tue Dec 01, 2009 8:01 am 
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

http://cec-mi.org/ - 24k - Cached - Similar pages

Link to Clean Energy Coalition of Ypsilanti. This nonprofit compay has been in business since 2005 and in their 2008 DLEG report they show their entire Board of Directors. This is an impressive and experienced company, not a one woman show.
Who are the partners in Kates LLC?
Post Tue Dec 01, 2009 8:18 am 
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

From Journal Story in City Beat about $1.1 million in energy grant.

Posted by untanglingwebs
November 26, 2009, 7:25PM
Kate Fields lives with her mother (Humphey) on Maryland. She married Sprague before she went to California and obviously married Fields there. Oddly enough her URESA child support case is missing from the Genesee County Clerks office.
While the land bank evicts others for nonpayment of their land contracts, Kate and GECA got a pass at least twice. Kildee always made arrangements. She once wanted to work it off at an exorbitant amount of money doing counseling for people in danger of losing their properties.

She did not take the low bidder on her two houses on Delaware. There was to be five. MHSDA alleged Kate gave Agree construction an unfair advantage in the bid process. They relented because Arrow had a conflict of interest (Electrical Inspector Jesse Buchanan was their electrical contractor) and MAR withdrew.
She added so many extras that the houses had about a 50% subsidy rate. MSHDA declined to finance any more houses and refinanced the 2 houses so Kate did not have a problem with HUD monies. There was an issue with the sale of the houses. One woman did not show her exhusband residing with her and the other owner was a GM executive retiree. Gamblin was furious (former HUD chief)because the home were intended for moderate income families. MHSDA said she overbuilt for the area. DUH!
The lawsuit referenced against GECA was the BIngo supply company attempting to get payment for about $39K in Bingo supplies given to the company. GECA 990's revealed losses from the fundraising activities. (guidestar.com) A settlement was reached but GECA quit paying so the settlement was recently thrown out.
GECA refused to work with the Land Bank and had troubles paying their taxes. Despite over $3,000 in taxes owing MHSDA gave GECA money to renovate 3 houses, 2 on Delaware and 1 on Burns. After over a year on the market, Shelter of Flint bought the houses.
Ananich signed as GECA President for a $100k loan on the bank building on Franklin across from St Vincent De Paul. It was later refinanced and was recently signed over to the lender.
GECA has not filed a 990 since their 2005, and that was over a year late. They received a fine.
GECA was sued by Flint over three properties. HUD says construction on HOME properties must be started within one year orthe grant must be amended. Kate had spent nearly all of her administrative money and had not started construction. Two of the homes on Maryland were open and vacant. GECA did not secure them and they were condemned after they were heavily vandalized.
GECA did not reveal the third house had been sold on a land contract and GECA was buying it back from the land contract purchaser. No money had been spent on the house, so the money had to be returned to the City of Flint.
Also GECA's contract had a clause requiring them to disclose any tax or other liabilities to the city. They did not and DCED did not check.
GECA had rummage sales to try to save the organization. As previously noted they are late filing this years MIchigan nonprofit report.
Kate campaigned heavily for Walling and even did a TV 17 show for his campaign.

Inappropriate comment? Alert us.
Reply to this comment | Post a new comment
Posted by oldflintguy
November 26, 2009, 11:19PM
Webs - very impressive, indeed. May I assume that you are not opposed to my taking the above information to the U.S. Attorney along wiht the items I found previously? You are either an excellent researcher, a quasi-insider, or a mixture of both. In either event, thanks for caring enough about our once fair city to assist in cleaning up this mess.

Posted by oldflintguy
November 26, 2009, 11:52PM
By the way, Webs, I did find the 1979 URESA Support case in a search of the Circuit Court records yesterday evening. I am not sure why it was dismissed in 1983, and there is little in the way of information to be gathered from the online summary - http://www.co.genesee.mi.us/cgi-bin/gweb.exe

Posted by Soon to be six two
November 27, 2009, 9:45AM
Untangling -- wow!!!! Now THAT was a post!!!! OFG -- sure hope you can figure out a way to report back to us in the event the FJ does their usual, i.e., no follow-up.

Posted by oldflintguy
November 27, 2009, 9:55AM
Not to worry, Soon to be, I will make sure to get info out on the meeting with the U.S. Attorney and on the Inspector General's investigation. I am amazed at the audacity of the Walling team paying off a political debt to anyone with such recent difficulties in her dealings with other federal agencies. We have an office in the DC area and I will be sure to have someone making the rounds with this issue.

Posted by untanglingwebs
November 29, 2009, 3:39PM
oldflintguy- I too will file complaints with the OIG but not with US attorney. I will file with the FBI. Did you notice her partners are not shown in the Limited Liability Corporation documents. Ananich did the same thing with his campaign strategy group. Usually these documents are longer. Could Freeman be her partner?
Did you notice in the Register of Deeds how the GECA 501(c)3 was used as a pass through of property to Ben Agree?
Oh and thanks for the link on the recovery funds.

Posted by oldflintguy
December 01, 2009, 9:44AM
webs - yes, that fact caught my eye as well. There is more than just a few missed commas and dotted i's in the way in which this lady has transacted her "business" for what appears to be a long time. I am of the opinion that she was deluded into thinking that local collusion would dispel any threats of federal investigation. I fully intend to bring all these issues to the attention of the proper authorities and press for a full investigation of GECA, Advanced Solutions, the Walling administration and the many individuals who seem to have been involved in transactions that just do not seem to pass the initial "snoff test". Between all of us, perhaps we can start to both make a difference and put on notice those that seek to abuse public funds for private gain.
Post Sat Dec 05, 2009 8:11 am 
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

http://www.annarbor.com/business-review/ypsilanti-based-clean-energy-coalition-lands-15-million-grant-to-help-partners-buy-clean-tech-vehicl/ - 44k - Cached - Similar pages

Clen Energy Coalition gets $15 million in Stimulus money to help cities
Post Sat Dec 05, 2009 8:17 am 
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

The lack of audits or 990's was a HUD finding to the City
Post Wed Oct 04, 2017 6:40 pm 

Jump to:  

Last Topic | Next Topic  >

Forum Rules: