FAQFAQ   SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlistRegisterRegister  ProfileProfile   Log in[ Log in ]  Flint Talk RSSFlint Talk RSS

Home Open Chat Political Talk  Flint Journal Political Jokes The Bob Leonard Show  

Flint Michigan online news magazine. We have lively web forums

FlintTalk.com Forum Index > The In My Opinion Show

Topic: FLINT PUBLIC SCHOOLS

Author    Post Post new topic Reply to topic
ronald barry robinson
F L I N T O I D

According to published reports the graduation rates in the Flint Public Schools for Black students is less than 30 percent this is un-exceptable. Children are impressionable, and impulsive, and they are prone to act on the knowledge and expectations, or lack thereof that is instilled within them. Experts tell us that the learning process begins in the womb of the mother. Good knowledge leads to good insight and correct interpretation and constructive behavior and lifestyles. The lack of knowledge, moral guidance and encouragement leads to inappropriate thoughts, negative behavior and destructive actions and lifestyles. The use of strategy that targets and treats students like criminals will not make them better students, but alienate them from their teachers, elders and authority figures who are entrusted to provide them with the information, resources and guidance for success. For years educators have been conditioned to think that teaching Black children in the inner cities is a problem, but this is not the problem, the problem lies in the methods used in teaching them and in curriculum presented to them. We need strong, devoted and compassionate principals and teachers who are involved on a daily basis in instructional leadership in the schools, where teachers and administrative staff routinely interact to identify teaching methods that work and discard those that are not providing positive results. We also need to make the curriculum representative of the history, aspirations, environment and experiences of the student body. In Flint and other large cities where most of the students are Black, the curriculum remains Eurocentric in basis and scope and it is because of this that many Black students lose interest and drop out both physically and psychologically, because they can't identify with whats being taught. All cultures should be taught the true facts/histories of there
origins.
Post Mon Apr 06, 2009 10:31 am 
Adam
F L I N T O I D

What is the rate for white students? 40%?

To be fair I don't think even the pc, stat focused, non critical thinking eurocentric books are that enjoyable for white students.
Post Mon Apr 06, 2009 3:13 pm 
ronald barry robinson
F L I N T O I D

Adam, I don't know what the ratio for graduation is for other races in the Flint Public Schools but I'm sure its just as dismal. According to recent reports of millions in deficits its only going to get worst. Things must change. Any idea's?
Post Mon Apr 06, 2009 9:17 pm 
Adam
F L I N T O I D

For Flint we may need to use parent liasons. I think improved security is an absolute necessity. I'm sure curriculum could be improved as well. We could also prioritize the classrooms a little better. We may also need to provide some books to children so they can practice reading.

I think International Academy gets less per student and they seem to be doing o.k. and even managed to renovate their building.

Post Tue Apr 07, 2009 10:27 pm 
ronald barry robinson
F L I N T O I D

Perhaps we could convince the administration at the International Academy to take control of the Flint Public Schools? It would be a great new beginning.
Post Wed Apr 08, 2009 11:14 am 
Adam
F L I N T O I D

They might enjoy the pay raise. I doubt their head chief is making $160,000 per year.

We do need to look at what the international academy has done though. In the business world it's common practice to analyze the competion.
Post Wed Apr 08, 2009 10:50 pm 
Opinionated
F L I N T O I D

ronald is a true idiot. he had no idea what he's talking about.

Post Sun Apr 19, 2009 5:42 pm 
pan8
F L I N T O I D

Maybe, just maybe a strong family unit with a father and mother would instill the desire to stay in school and learn.

Now before I get blasted I believe Bill Cosby said something along the same lines. Not?

Pan8
Post Sun Apr 19, 2009 6:37 pm 
ronald barry robinson
F L I N T O I D

Opinionated, its easy to call people names, that means you have nothing of value/substance to offer. I know alot about the Flint Public School System. I have had children enrolled in it. What do you have to contribute of value? Let's stick to the subject matter, Flint Public Schools. It is in terrible trouble with a projected deficit of over $20 million dollars, many more lay-offs on the horizon and a drop out rate of perhaps 60 per cent or more. On May 5, 2009 at the voting polls, there asking the business owners/industry to shell out more than $15 million dollars on a 18 mill continuance for a failed school system. The request is for the renewal of 18 mills that business/industry have been paying in support of schools since the approval of propositon A in 1994. A golden parachute? Is there any businesses left in Flint? The authority to continue to levy the 18 mills expires on December 31, 2009. The renewal is for 10 years. In paper work submitted, the say "The committee for Educational Development" the funding from the 18 mills will be used to help pay for day to day operational expenses in educating the children. Fact: With a drop-out rate of over 60 percent, who are they educating?
They say "The committee for Educational Development" The funds will not be used for building construction or modernization. Fact: Nothing is this says this money will "also "not be allowed/used for salary raises or bonuses. Be ware of the fox in the hen houses again.
Post Sun Apr 19, 2009 6:54 pm 
lordub
F L I N T O I D

"According to published reports the graduation rates in the Flint Public Schools for Black students is less than 30 percent this is un-exceptable . "

Did you graduate from the Flint Public schools? Just sayin'
Post Tue Nov 03, 2009 5:15 am 
ronald barry robinson
F L I N T O I D

My son attended Flint Public Schools in fact he attended Flint Central and received good academic grades, was on student council. played varsity basketball , football and ran track. He would have graduated from Flint Central High School had we not had to move because of a job transfer. I'm a college graduate. My opinion on not just Flint Public Schools but most all schools. The administration, school boards, teachers. parents, community, guardians and on down have to care about the individuals that make up the student body This is the only way our children have a chance of any kind of respectable achiements or survival. We face difficult times ahead. If you believe in polls the latest (New York Times)ranks America almost last of the industralized nations in academic acheivment. Why?
Post Tue Nov 03, 2009 7:16 pm 
1pissedoffguy
F L I N T O I D

Maybe our schools suck because we dont expect the same thing from all the kids Ronald. Now I do not think we are all going to be college material, I never wanted to go to college myself. But we can't allow people to make different standards for Black kids and white kids and another set of standards for other kids and lower standards or expectations. also, we got to stop being so concerned about if kids know how to masterbate and how to get a condom on a banana or making them feel good about the sexuality. Schools should be about things like math, science, writing skills, reading and how to evaluate arguments and how to make basic economic decsions. We want to the best bud to the kids, kids need someone to be the hard ass, the one who makes choices for them until they get a certain age. Kids arent not that smart, that is why they need adults for parents and not over grown ,hormone driven perpetual teenagers that most seem to luck into now.Also , toss that friggin Xbox or Playstation out the damn door! That shit is no good! My mom used to turn off the TV and the radio and made me and my sister listen to these records withe multiplication tables being sung by some annyoing guy, it sucked but she was the mom, and we did learn them .The teacher I had told me it wasn;t her job to teach them. She didnt do much except make comments about how the kids in the class smelled and she was a total nut job when it came to swatting kids, she loved to do that, for any and all reasons. One of the reasons why I loathe teachers so much was that woman. She was one of about 13 in my life who should have never been allowed to be around kids ,bet this will piss off ol Domet , he worships teachers and professors.
So Ronald, in that long post are some reasons for why the US has gotten to be on the bottom of the pile for education, they are my reasons, not some "expert" from ACORN, sorry Domet. But I think that people got to see I may be on to something here in the reasons I gave up. I now will await for Domet to tell me where I am wrong and how a group like his precious ACORN will save us from ourselves.
Post Tue Nov 03, 2009 11:59 pm 
ronald barry robinson
F L I N T O I D

Dear 1pissedoffguy. To expand my previous analysis and my opinions on public education in many of our public and private institutions of learning apathy and irresponibility run rampant coming from the school officials, teachers, parents, guardians. In many cases the school officials and teachers are just there for the paycheck they don't care if the child learns or not. These are the individuals that need to be weeded out of our educational systems by any and all means necessary. In these cases we must strip them of those protective contracts and fire them, it's that simple or we will continue to experience years of educational failures. These people are "un-retrainable". Children by nature want to learn, but if they are not taught by those in responsible roles there futures become bleak as well as that of our great nation. Also, in many cases parents us the school systems as glorified child care facilites being to lazy or busy to assist in the learning process of their children. Parents also must be held accountable to the highest degree. First, let me state my college degree is not in education or psychology. But with raising children that have been in public and private schools I believe I have a working knowledge on how the educational process works, or should work.

What we have now in education is the dumbing down of our children. In many cases the parents don't know how to parent and the teachers don't know how to teach in this 21st century their-in lay the problems. We must stop the blame game and get down to the real business of education. And take whatever steps deemed necessary to instill educational pride in our children and the teaching profession. That's our future
Post Wed Nov 04, 2009 9:18 am 

Jump to:  

Last Topic | Next Topic  >

Forum Rules: