FAQFAQ   SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlistRegisterRegister  ProfileProfile   Log in[ Log in ]  Flint Talk RSSFlint Talk RSS

»Home »Open Chat »Political Talk  Â»Flint Journal »Political Jokes »The Bob Leonard Show  

Flint Michigan online news magazine. We have lively web forums

FlintTalk.com Forum Index > Miscellaneous

Topic: Chicken Dinner Fundraiser

Author    Post Post new topic Reply to topic
andi03
F L I N T O I D

First fundraiser for L-Point. Funds will go to create a Warming Center housed at Salem Lutheran in Flint.

What: Chicken Dinner!!

Where: Masonic Center in Davison at 9108 Davison Road, Friday, December 5, 2008, from 5:00 pm to 8:00 pm.

Cost: $9.00 (nine dollars) for adults and $6.00 (six dollars) for children.

The Mason Center has donated, yes donated, the cost of the hall, the cooks, the serving staff and the plates. Smile WOW.

L-Point is spearheaded by a former emergency room nurse that had had enough of seeing people freeze. She has been putting together "homeless packs" for emergency vehicles and police vehicles for the last seven years.

What L-Point is: L-Point is a non-profit organization formed specifically for the creation of a warming shelter for the homeless. A warming center provides basic services: a warm, safe shelter, simple foods such as sandwiches and coffee and washroom facilities. We do not provide beds or showers and it is NOT a long term transitional housing facility.

Why do we need it? Because traditional homeless shelters have set hours and close their doors at a specific time in the evening, we will provide an open door for those in need during the night. This warming shelter will be open all night to provide a place when the other homeless shelters close.

Who is behind L-Point? The Flint Cluster of ELCA churches. Each congregation in the Flint Cluster will have a group of people who work for this mission.
Post Wed Nov 12, 2008 9:46 pm 
back again
F L I N T O I D

well now, 3 cheers for l-point Very Happy Laughing Razz Wink
Post Thu Nov 13, 2008 10:00 pm 
andi03
F L I N T O I D

Thanks. Smile We're getting pretty good reception from the police department so far. Wink
Post Fri Nov 14, 2008 12:33 am 
JoeMama
F L I N T O I D

Can I donate clean used blankets? I know you said, no beds, but warm blankets could be used maybe?
Post Sun Nov 16, 2008 10:02 am 
andi03
F L I N T O I D

quote:
JoeMama schreef:
Can I donate clean used blankets? I know you said, no beds, but warm blankets could be used maybe?

YES....ahem....sorry excited. Smile Yes, you are more than welcome to donate clean used blankets. We actually put them together with gloves, hats, mittens, socks and two garbage bags for our "homeless packs". If the officers see the homeless on the streets they can give them a pack.

Can you contact me off list with the private messaging system? I can pick them up...I really am normal. Smile

edited to add: We are also going to need some for the shelter too. Wink
Post Sun Nov 16, 2008 12:42 pm 
andi03
F L I N T O I D

WOW....I met Joemama yesterday at "high noon" and she donated TONS and tons of stuff....

I was sooo happy....

You are one in a million!!! Thanks JM!!!
Post Sun Nov 30, 2008 10:31 am 
Steve Myers
Site Admin
Site Admin

Chicken dinner on Friday to raise money for L-Point Warming Center for the Homeless
by Rose Mary Reiz | The Flint Journal
Monday December 01, 2008, 10:30 AM

DAVISON, Michigan -- The public is invited to attend Warm Hearts, Warm Bodies, a chicken dinner fundraiser to benefit the L-Point Warming Center for the Homeless, 5-8 p.m. Friday at the Davison Masonic Center, 9108 Davison Road, Davison.

Tickets are $9 for adults, $6 for children. All proceeds will be used to support L-Point, a warming shelter supported by nine local evangelical Lutheran churches, scheduled to open this season at Salem Lutheran Church in Flint.

The event is sponsored by the Masonic Center of Davison and the Flint Cluster of Lutheran Churches, ELCA.

Details: (810) 424-6707 or (810) 471-8139.
http://www.mlive.com/flintjournal/index.ssf/2008/12/chicken_dinner_on_friday_to_ra.html

Post Mon Dec 01, 2008 11:03 am 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger  Reply with quote  
LakeWoman50
F L I N T O I D

God Bless you guys for doing this.
Post Mon Dec 01, 2008 6:11 pm 
andi03
F L I N T O I D

Thanks....

Ran into a homeless guy last week that just wanted dry socks....hmmm.
Post Mon Dec 01, 2008 9:43 pm 
JoeMama
F L I N T O I D

How did the dinner go? Was the fundraiser a success?
Post Wed Dec 10, 2008 10:31 am 
andi03
F L I N T O I D

I am usually leery about chicken dinners....this chicken was great. WinkSmile Smile Smile

We had about 250 people from what I am told....I had my mom with me so I had to leave early...not sure of the total monies brought in yet....
Post Thu Dec 11, 2008 7:53 am 

Jump to:  

Last Topic | Next Topic  >

Forum Rules: