FAQFAQ   SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlistRegisterRegister  ProfileProfile   Log in[ Log in ]  Flint Talk RSSFlint Talk RSS

»Home »Open Chat »Political Talk  Â»Flint Journal »Political Jokes »The Bob Leonard Show  

Flint Michigan online news magazine. We have lively web forums

FlintTalk.com Forum Index > Political Talk

Topic: 5th Ward candidates come out swinging at forum

Author    Post Post new topic Reply to topic
Steve Myers
Site Admin
Site Admin

With less than one week before the election, candidates in the 5th Ward aren't pulling any punches.

Candidate Benny Spence said incumbent Carolyn Sims hasn't done a thing in her four years on the City Council while Sims counters that Spence is a bully who wouldn't be much different than Mayor Don Williamson.

"He's a dominating controller," Sims said. "I have the pulse of the people. There's not much difference between me and the constituents I serve. I see the blight. I live in it."

But while Sims portrays herself as a champion of residents, one who has helped keep the city from taking illegal actions, Spence said her stance is more of a political vendetta that has impeded progress in the ward. He said most residents want to see more cooperation and results from City Hall.

"We cannot afford four more years of excuses," Spence said. "What about the people? You're going to punish all these people because you don't like Don Williamson?"

Spence said Sims' battles with the mayor and previous administrations have led to delays in projects such as University Park Estates, Smith Village, housing rehabilitation, demolitions and weed cutting.

Sims denied the charges, blaming the administration instead.

"There's a lot of unfinished business out here," she said. "I just want to make sure the people are getting the mandated services they're paying taxes for. For the last year, these services have been held hostage by the administration."

Sims said one of her main priorities is to complete the Smith Village development, which is part of a federally designated zone designed to increase home ownership.

If left incomplete, it could cost the city significant federal tax dollars. She also wants to redevelop Cook Elementary School and advocate for jobs and mentor programs for the city youth.

"We got to try to get jobs in this place," she said. "Everyone wants to come in and build houses - we need to build communities."

Spence, a Flint native who moved back to the city in 2001 and lives in University Park Estates, says as a councilman he would hold at least four town hall meetings a year to keep residents informed and to get their input. He said his goal would be to register voters and make other elected officials seek the support of 5th Ward residents during elections.

"I'm going to make this a full-time job," he said. "It's going to be my goal to increase the number of registered voters and the number of voters who turn out in this ward. We're going to start holding politicians accountable."

Williamson said he supports Spence, but Spence said he has had little contact with the mayor and no financial support.

A retired General Motors supervisor, Spence said he would treat the mayor like a businessman and any disagreements would be kept behind closed doors.

"We already have an image problem that goes to Sweden," he said, adding jobs won't come to a city where officials keep airing their "dirty laundry."

Full Story:
http://www.mlive.com/news/fljournal/index.ssf?/base/news-32/1130950221308590.xml&coll=5
Post Wed Nov 02, 2005 5:22 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger  Reply with quote  
Steve Myers
Site Admin
Site Admin

Carolyn Sims (i)

EDUCATION: Associate's degree in criminal justice from Mott Community College, Flint Northwestern graduate.

FAMILY: Single, two children, one grandchild.

CIVIC INVOLVEMENT: Board member of the Mass Transportation Authority and the Valley Area Agency on Aging.

Benny Spence

EDUCATION: Flint Central graduate

FAMILY: Married, two children, one grandchild.

CIVIC INVOLVEMENT: Board member of the University Park Estates homeowner's association and member of John W. Stevenson Masonic Lodge.
Post Wed Nov 02, 2005 5:23 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger  Reply with quote  

Jump to:  

Last Topic | Next Topic  >

Forum Rules: