FAQFAQ   SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlistRegisterRegister  ProfileProfile   Log in[ Log in ]  Flint Talk RSSFlint Talk RSS

»Home »Open Chat »Political Talk  Â»Flint Journal »Political Jokes »The Bob Leonard Show  

Flint Michigan online news magazine. We have lively web forums

FlintTalk.com Forum Index > The Flint Journal

Topic: Your Magazine local history articles

Author    Post Post new topic Reply to topic
Flinn's Journal
F L I N T O I D

The April issue of Your Magazine is now out and my article in this month's issue is called Flint Faience & Tile Company--GM's Artistic Side. It's about the ceramic tile unit of AC Spark Plug from the 1920s and 1930s. The timing of the article, unfortunately, coincides with the demolition of most of the old Delphi Flint East complex on Dort Highway including the old Flint Faience Tile factory at Dort & Davison. The tiles from that building will be saved. Future articles are...

May--GM Futurliners
June--Drive in Theaters
July (proposed) The history of...
National Bank of Flint (scratch)
Michigan National Bank (scratch)
Standard Federal Bank (scratch)
LaSalle Bank Midwest (scratch)
Bank of America (name change effective May 5)

Naturally, I'll talk about the old Michigan National Bank (now Chase) drive-thru branch downtown which was technically a part of the bank location in the Mott Foundation Building because of the pneumatic tube connecting the two locations. That was for legal reasons I'll explain in the article once I get the go ahead.

Post Wed Apr 09, 2008 11:56 am 
Flinn's Journal
F L I N T O I D

Planned articles are now...
July--Buick's 105th Anniversary
August--Hurley Medical Center's 100th Anniversary
September--Bank of America's Flint operations (pushed back from July)
October--WJRT's 50th Anniversary

Post Mon Jun 23, 2008 10:36 am 
Demeralda
F L I N T O I D

Please don't waste your talent on another hospital anniversary. Big whoop. There are plenty of hack writers at the magazine who can cover this with the exact attention it deserves.

You do better at writing cutural stuff.

Why don't you talk about some historical local restaurants? I still want to know what the heck that Red Rooster is... I've never been.

Or how about the history of the association between Flint and the coney island? Where the heck did we get that from, anyway?

I'd also be interested in knowing why the Miller Road area became the retail hub around here. When did that start? When was the mall built?

But god, they already kill us with all the photos from those phony events, it REALLY DOES NOT NEED A STORY TOO!!

Post Mon Jun 23, 2008 1:14 pm 
squash
F L I N T O I D

I grew up on the east side. I've never met anybody who has eaten at the Red Rooster. I've never been inside the Red Rooster. There are no windows at the Red Rooster. Is the place really a restaurant? How is that place still in business? Maybe it's a mob hangout. Hey there's a story for you Gary: La Cosa Nostra in Flint. Good luck with the research.
Post Mon Jun 23, 2008 2:20 pm 
Demeralda
F L I N T O I D

It's rumored that many a martini lunch is passed by city hall's denizens with the Red Rooster.

Funny you say that squash though, seriously -- same for me! I can't believe I've never been there. Maybe we should meet there and plan our vast left wing conspiracy...

Post Mon Jun 23, 2008 3:17 pm 
squash
F L I N T O I D

Although my wife generally disapproves of me meeting women for a drink, if I explain to her that we're saving the country from the Twotaps of the world just maybe...
I'll get back to you.
Post Mon Jun 23, 2008 4:12 pm 
Flinn's Journal
F L I N T O I D

Actually, the story of James J. Hurley who died in 1905 is a facinating one. The successful businessman bequeathed in his will that a hospital be established to serve anyone regardless of ability to pay. That was the start of Hurley Hospital in 1908.

Post Mon Jun 23, 2008 4:32 pm 
Demeralda
F L I N T O I D

Whatever dude.

Post Tue Jun 24, 2008 8:19 am 
Frappuhn
F L I N T O I D

The Red Rooster is or was at the time a fine dinning restaurant. I have at been there many times. Was very nice inside, I haven't been there in years!

I heard it was patronized heavily by administration of AC. Heard that when AC closed off the doors of the northeast section of the building it cut off a quick get away to the restaurant. Put a crimp in lunch time business.

Remember the fountain at the same corner that would change colors????

Other great restaurant in the past, Cromers, Kuippies, El Rancho, PX, The Varsity, just a few ....
Post Tue Jun 24, 2008 8:59 am 
Adam Ford
F L I N T O I D

The Red Rooster is still a fine dining restaurant. The decore inside has somewhat of a rustic feel but it is a fine dining restaurant. I ate there last year. I hear the mayor eats there as well. My favorite restaurant in Flint was the University Club at the top of Genesee Towers.
Post Tue Jun 24, 2008 11:50 am 
Frappuhn
F L I N T O I D

The University Club was a fine place also, at least it was when Maurice was the general Manager. The private bar portion was decorated with the works of deceased Journal Photog. , Barry Edmonds. Beautiful work!
Post Tue Jun 24, 2008 12:02 pm 

Jump to:  

Last Topic | Next Topic  >

Forum Rules: