FAQFAQ   SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlistRegisterRegister  ProfileProfile   Log in[ Log in ]  Flint Talk RSSFlint Talk RSS

Home Open Chat Political Talk  Flint Journal Political Jokes The Bob Leonard Show  

Flint Michigan online news magazine. We have lively web forums

FlintTalk.com Forum Index > The Morning Show with Lou Lobsinger

Topic: Roman on the radio 1570 am New local call in talk show!
Goto page Previous  1, 2
  Author    Post Post new topic Reply to topic
Biggie9
F L I N T O I D

quote:
"D Crane "Steve Myers" Rusty Zipper!!LOL

I think what people don't realize is how hard and how much work it takes to get a talk radio show off the ground. It's not as easy as talking for 30 seconds then going to 10 songs in a row.[/quote]

Hey that isn't a reference to Andy Heller's show is it? Probably more about music radio...which is of course a totally different format; audience etc. Look if you are going to do TALK RADIO, you have to do the blocking & tackling about & for talk radio. No excuses, no whining about "hard" it is. No one said anything about how hard or easy it is...When you buy a car, do you wonder how hard it was to engineer or build? No... as a customer you don't care. You respond to the final product as you use it. So here's a bit of advice: NO WHINING. [no one cares].

quote:
You have to be on top of local news, and book guests that are relavent to the area.

Well if you actually read my criticisms, you'd note that I felt the show did not FOCUS enough on local issues. bad meat in the grocery store...sorry that doesn't qualify, neither does Katrina, Ernesto or any other storm down south. etc.

quote:
If Biggie 9 actually got off his butt and called into the show, maybe he would be engaged enough to listen.

Sorry you got that ass-backwards. You have to have a reason for me to listen FIRST in order for me to be engaged to call in. Ok, I'll ask my wife for her mother's meatloaf recipe and I'll call in with that when John does his favorite meatloaf recipes....or is that "Ask the Missus"?
OBTW, I don't have to get off my butt to call. I can do it sitting down.

quote:
But alas, he probably has to write 10 rough drafts before he even posts anything on here.

Aww, Dennis you give me too much credit. With all the typos et al, you KNOW I am just winging it and pushing the submit button.

quote:
Local radio provides a valuable service in a world of national shows, XM, and Sirius. I think that some people might be missing the point.

NO!!! That is my point exactly. Yes your program is locally originated, but stop with the non-local topics!!! Leave Katrina for the national shows, TV, Blogs etc. By the way, I have XM, and yet I do listen to local stations, and even YOUR program Dennis.

quote:
It is important to pay attention to local issues, and give local listeners a chance to weigh in on them. You don't get that with a national show. Also the prospect of being one of many callers from all over the country can be disengaging.

Exactly, stop with the hurricane stories, bad meat, car shows...ok that last one was just a shameless plug for a local car show. I don't care about it, but others might. And believe it or not, I am not claiming the show has to be made to what I want it to be. Its not my show, its John's. But at the end of the day, John's program succeeds or fails based on how many "butts" he puts in the seat for the advertisers.

quote:
The attitude of Biggie 9 and others like him are exactly what is wrong with Flint. The lack of pride in this area, and the fact that no one embraces it, is what is going to trickle down from generation to generation. 30 years ago, there wasn't a negative connotation with being from Flint. Now, people like Biggie 9 and others with their cynical attitudes and self loathing, is the foundation for the negative attitude which projects the negativity associated with being a "Flintoid".

Wow, you got all that from my posts huh? either you are a psychiatrist in your other job, or perhaps you stayed in a Holiday Inn last night? So the fact I said my initial impression of your show wasn't engaging to me, you've profiled me with a lack of pride in the area? Where was it written that YOUR program is THE OFFICIAL PROGRAM program of the Flint/Genesee area? So now my opinion of the show is the foudation for ruin for entire area? Oh the HORROR? [actually I didn't realize I had such power!]. And I didn't realize we were offcially "Flintoids"..when did they hand out the buttons or membership cards? And here is another bit of advice: DOn't attack your audience, even when they offer feedback, celebrate in the fact that: A. They listened and B. They cared enough to offer feedback, good, bad or otherwise.

quote:
I challenge people to give this show a chance and call in and be active. With more callers, it make a local show better, and in essence creates character for it. You can find me on the John Roman myspace site because I am a show contributer and call screener. I like talk radio, and have taken an active interest in bringing talk radio, and the issues that are important to the area back to the people. All without the negativity that Barber would sometimes portray of the city.
Dennis,
Intern and show contributer for SuperTalk 1570.

LOL, as an intern/call screener for the show I appreciate your unbiased opinion. Regardless of the characterization of the show by me, or your ad hominen attacks of me, I AM trying to stick with the show!!!! But its been spotty engaging me [I have actually fallen asleep several times].

As far as your characterization of Dave Barber, its abundantly clear John's show is designed to be a different tenor. BUT sometimes, one's "negativity" is another's "truth". Like I said, if your show is "everything is beautiful" & "don't worry be happy", you are doing your audience a disservice.

But at the end of the day, Barber was honest and his allegiance was to his advertisers, so he made sure he was entertaining in his own style. That put "butts in the seats" and earned his station the advertising $$ they were selling. Good luck doing the same, with your different style.

BTW, Dennis, as an intern I take it you are young and if paid at all, not much. Good luck to you in your career also. If you take anything away from my message it is:
1. Grow thicker skin
2. Don't attack your audience personally[and yes I am your audience], attack their ideas.
3. When in show business, appreciate ANYTIME your audience responds. Remember, even Dave relied on those listeners who hated/disagreed with him, because they bought his advertisers products!

By the way, I am typing this while listening to John. Todays' topic is more locally focussed. Must be why I am still awake.

Post Wed Aug 30, 2006 3:29 pm 
dcharron79

Fair enough. I like you already Biggie! Thank you for your well wishes. I'm sorry if it seemed as if I was attacking you, that is not the case! Also, thank you for your support of the show. I think that you will find that the natural progression and evolution of the show will be everything that you are looking for. Today's show featured a Genesee County Commissioner, and a Flint City Councilman. Good Stuff. Continue to listen, and I think that you will grow to love the show.....hopefully. Also, you can contact me personally through myspace at www.myspace.com/dcharron79.
Thanks again for your support.
Post Thu Aug 31, 2006 5:27 pm 
Biggie9
F L I N T O I D

quote:
dcharron79 schreef:
Fair enough. I like you already Biggie! Thank you for your well wishes. I'm sorry if it seemed as if I was attacking you, that is not the case! Also, thank you for your support of the show. I think that you will find that the natural progression and evolution of the show will be everything that you are looking for. Today's show featured a Genesee County Commissioner, and a Flint City Councilman. Good Stuff. Continue to listen, and I think that you will grow to love the show.....hopefully. Also, you can contact me personally through myspace at www.myspace.com/dcharron79.
Thanks again for your support.

You are welcome. I am glad you appreciate the fact that customers[listeners] are willing to share with you what they like and don't like. Ok, we sometimes make jokes about things, but I hope Rusty appreciates the Zima references and it shows we are "engaged" otherwise we would say nothing at all. I know you have to have a sense of humor to be in the entertainment business [and thick skin too!].

I did listen today, and it was a good show.

By the way, if I didn't say this before, I think John Roman's performance is very good. he has a very fluid delivery, a good radio voice...no hemming or hawing, no butchering of the language.

I know I complimented the fact that they do give attention to local weather and traffic. Although Flint doesn't have the same traffic issues metro-Detroit does [I commute to Warren down I-75], there are still times when there are accidents/construction etc on I-75/I-69/I-475 & the surface streets. Now we just need people to get used to calling in & reporting since we don't have a traffic helicopter, or any of the traffic services handling Flint, MI.

Post Thu Aug 31, 2006 10:09 pm 

Jump to:  
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Last Topic | Next Topic  >

Forum Rules: