FAQFAQ   SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlistRegisterRegister  ProfileProfile   Log in[ Log in ]  Flint Talk RSSFlint Talk RSS

»Home »Open Chat »Political Talk  Â»Flint Journal »Political Jokes »The Bob Leonard Show  

Flint Michigan online news magazine. We have lively web forums

FlintTalk.com Forum Index > The Flint Journal

Topic: Flinn's Journal in The Flint Journal

Author    Post Post new topic Reply to topic
Flinn's Journal
F L I N T O I D

My next Flinn's Journal article in The Flint Journal is about General Motors memorabilia which GM employees and retirees held onto. I have a 1967 vintage Buick cigarette lighter made by Zippo which still works from my late aunt. My mother has an AC spark plug shaped ceramic mug and a GM 75th Anniversary book. My old next door neighbor has a Buick metal badge and knows someone who has even more memorabilia whom I have left a message on her answering machine. Because I have a June 20 deadline breathing down my neck, I'm wondering if anyone possesses other similar GM memorabilia. The article will be part of the special GM 100th Anniversary section in The Flint Journal.

Post Wed Jun 11, 2008 10:56 am 
Dave Starr
F L I N T O I D

I've got my dad's 25 year watch he got in 1952. It still has the original band. I think I have his UAW Charter Member ring, too.

Pushing buttons sure can be fun.

When a lion wants to go somewhere, he doesn’t worry about how many hyenas are in the way.

Paddle faster, I hear banjos.
Post Wed Jun 11, 2008 11:33 am 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website  Reply with quote  
Flinn's Journal
F L I N T O I D

quote:
Dave Starr schreef:
I've got my dad's 25 year watch he got in 1952. It still has the original band. I think I have his UAW Charter Member ring, too.

Thanks for your reply, Dave. Which GM division is that watch from?

Post Wed Jun 11, 2008 1:53 pm 
Dave Starr
F L I N T O I D

Buick. It's got the Buick shields on it.

Pushing buttons sure can be fun.

When a lion wants to go somewhere, he doesn’t worry about how many hyenas are in the way.

Paddle faster, I hear banjos.
Post Wed Jun 11, 2008 2:34 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website  Reply with quote  
Flinn's Journal
F L I N T O I D

Any additional collectors?

Post Fri Jun 13, 2008 9:23 am 
FlintConservative
F L I N T O I D

I've got a watch that was my grandfather's...Chevrolet...I think 30 year award. I'll dig it out this evening.
Post Fri Jun 13, 2008 1:35 pm 
Flinn's Journal
F L I N T O I D

The finished article is on page H17 of the GM 100th Anniversary section of the Sunday June 13 issue of The Flint Journal.

The next Flinn's Journal in The Flint Journal profiles James J. Hurley, the businessman who founded what is now Hurley Medical Center. The publication date has not yet been set. Hurley Medical Center is celebrating its 100th Anniversary this year as well.

Post Sun Jul 13, 2008 6:02 am 
Flinn's Journal
F L I N T O I D

The James Hurley article is planned for publication in the Journal on Sunday, July 27.

Post Tue Jul 22, 2008 7:42 am 
Flinn's Journal
F L I N T O I D

My latest column, which is about James Hurley, is at...
http://www.mlive.com/flintjournal/community/index.ssf/2008/07/james_hurleys_generosity_creat.html

Post Thu Jul 31, 2008 1:01 pm 
LakeWoman50
F L I N T O I D

Well written Mr. Flinn
Post Sat Aug 02, 2008 7:51 pm 
Flinn's Journal
F L I N T O I D

My latest is at...
http://www.mlive.com/flintjournal/voices/index.ssf/2008/09/memorial_lost_just_like_air_pi.html

Post Wed Sep 03, 2008 9:59 pm 
Marko Rollo
F L I N T O I D

When I lived in that neighborhood in the late 60s, a kid I hung out with (Tom Succi?) lived in the tower. I thought it was a windmill at first, and I can remember the strange sensation of walking in halls where one wall was straight, and the other tilted at a crazy angle. It was the coolest house I'd ever seen, and I was sad to see it go.

Re that memorabilia...I have my grandfather's Fisher Body badge. it is numbered something like 1037 (haven't dug it out in a while) and as I recall he said it was because he was the 10th person hired in 1937 at the S. Saginaw St plant. It has holes where he riveted it to his aluminum "lunch pail" that he carried until the day he retired. I'm still on the lookout for a lunch pail to put it back on.

quote:
Flinn's Journal schreef:
My latest is at...
http://www.mlive.com/flintjournal/voices/index.ssf/2008/09/memorial_lost_just_like_air_pi.html
Post Thu Sep 04, 2008 6:42 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website  Reply with quote  
andi03
F L I N T O I D

Have you looked into the Boss family that resided on Court Street? They owned a Stagecoach Company that brought people from Pontiac to Flint, and I also believe that they made stops in Saginaw too. They had ties to my family. Smile Smile and also the Nickless family out of Bay City, I do believe...dunno.

This might be a good resource for you don't know if you know about it. I have found a plethora of information here about Flint and surrounding areas here:

http://quod.lib.umich.edu/m/micounty/

quote:
Flinn's Journal schreef:
My latest is at...

Post Fri Sep 05, 2008 12:31 pm 
LakeWoman50
F L I N T O I D

I remember a few months ago there was a dorky article about Ryan Eashoo in the Flint Journal. He is a collector of all things Flint. You could call him and I am sure that goody two shoes would love to help you!
Post Fri Sep 05, 2008 9:16 pm 
Flinn's Journal
F L I N T O I D

My latest article is in Sunday's paper and at http://www.mlive.com/flintjournal/voices/index.ssf/2008/10/local_live_programs_once_lled.html about the early local shows on WJRT channel 12.

Post Sat Oct 04, 2008 7:02 pm 

Jump to:  

Last Topic | Next Topic  >

Forum Rules: