FAQFAQ   SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlistRegisterRegister  ProfileProfile   Log in[ Log in ]  Flint Talk RSSFlint Talk RSS

»Home »Open Chat »Political Talk  Â»Flint Journal »Political Jokes »The Bob Leonard Show  

Flint Michigan online news magazine. We have lively web forums

FlintTalk.com Forum Index > Political Talk

Topic: What is the most important issue facing Flint Michigan?

Author    Post Post new topic Reply to topic
terrybankert
F L I N T O I D

What is the most important issue in the 7th Ward City Council race Flint MI USA? By-Terry R. Bankert 7/1/05-
It’s Called “QUALITY OF LIFE.”
http://enewsblog.com/terrybankert/post/2005-07-07_05:16:46/

Open letter to residents of the 7th Ward as they decide who to elect as their next councilperson.

There is NOT ONE resident (not one of you) in this AWESOME City that is
NOT Yearning for QUALITY OF LIFE
Quality of Life must begin in our schools, neighborhoods, as a priority- the business community will follow.

Quality of Life is a sense of PUBLIC SAFETY and PRIDE for our children, seniors and ourselves. Enjoying the beauty of our property and the assurance it will hold it’s value.
Quality of Life is a good school system where parents children and teachers feel safe to be.

Quality of Life is in the working class recreations and activities. (Parks, beaches, Senior Centers)

Quality of Life is a farmers market, music in the park and numerous art centers.

Quality of Life allows all races, ethnic groups, and economic classes to create a unique personal environment for their family’s enjoyment.

Quality of Life begins with Safety.

The Flint City council can start by:

Funding Public Safety, (do you know that a Genesee Township Police Officer makes more than those that are called to protect the citizens of Flint?)

Rewriting and Enforcing Ordinances (animals, abandoned cars & houses, illegal dumping)

Reaching out to Business and Schools and instilling PRIDE and assurances of SAFETY.

But it is more, Quality of Life is reflected in a sense of Pride and Enthusiasm for living in Flint.

There are NO simple answers, but our leaders should be elected for their VISION, PROFESSIONALISM, EXPERIENCE, and PRESENCE in and at OUR COMMUNITY ACTIVITIES and COMMUNITY MEETINGS. There are SO MANY individuals that are Working & Giving tirelessly in their neighborhoods without ANY SUPPORT or PRESENCE of their Council Person.

Those of us who have chosen to live in Flint are desperately concerned about our City, our Schools, our Neighborhood, our Blocks, our Families, and our Future. But, we are gravely suspect of those who lead us. We want to know and see that our City has a plan for improvement. WE MUST more beyond our salary cuts during the recent state take-over. If our Leaders are only concerned about the pay they receive and not in the rewards they receive for being elected by us DO WE HAVE THE RIGHT LEADERSHIP?

I have 30 YEARS EXPERIENCE in Service to Flint’s resident AND in local public issues..

As Ombudsman, I served the citizens of Flint- City Wide- in a capacity much like that of your councilman. When you were dissatisfied with your Ward leadership, you called me at the Ombudsman’s office. I was there for you, for your neighbors, your family, and your friends. I MEDIATED Police Brutality issues, Police and Fire response issues, your water problems, your garbage problems, your problems dealing with various departments and employees of City Hall, including the Mayor’s office. I was there. I served you with respect, served you with great pride, served you with great honor, and challenge anyone to come forward that was not satisfied with my leadership and service to them. I am asking for the opportunity to once again serve the residents of the City of Flint.

We need MEDIATORS and NEGOTIATORS on our Council and in our Leadership. Individuals that will mediate each and every issue until a common ground is met, and not give up, digging their heals in the sand with egos, special and personal interests for favor or gain. This has GOT TO STOP & STOP NOW!
If it isn’t good for the entire city- it isn’t good-PERIOD.

I am a PROFESSIONAL MEDIATOR. I’ve proven that as your Ombudsman. I listened attentively and respectfully to your complaints and that is how I’ve chosen to make my living as an attorney. Everyday I MEDIATE for Fair Solutions to Personal & Societal Problems.

If elected I will hit the ground running in November 2005.
* You will see a QUALITY OF LIFE plan, Accountability and Action immediately.

* I will reach out to Any & All businesses that considers relocating in and search for others.

* I will reach out to the School Board assuring they get leadership support in making Flint schools safe and a place we want our kids educated.

* I will build ONE UNITED BODY from any and all grass roots organizations (neighborhood groups, and block clubs) to International Foundations whose mission it is to better Flint.

* I will be there for you in the neighborhoods to help you protect your home, it’s value, and your safety.

* I will represent your interest with dignity respect and competence at all times. You will be proud of the choice you make in me for your representative.

AS a Flint CITY Department Head, as City Clerk then Ombudsman. I worked with 4 different city councils and 3 mayors. I have seen the best and the worst from the inside out. The best leaders have Vison, Knowledge, Experience, a Willingness to take political RISK to achieve a GOAL, but the political skill to build ONE BODY of all the caring involved citizens. These committed Individuals can not do it alone- They need a Good Leader

I have all these skills. With humility I say this. When you needed me I was there as Ombudsman, City Clerk, and a member /leader on many non profit agencies, governmental boards, and grass roots community groups.
I have the courage to work for what’s right and I have the skills to built public support for a goal.

I can survive, thrive, and cause positive change for this city in the hostile inept chaos of our current City Government. I am the choice of experience and proven ability.

I have walked every street in the 7th Ward twice. Most voters are in silent protest and disappointment at the lack of leadership in our City . We don’t care about who is right or wrong between council President Coleman and Mayor Williamson. We just want to know that our city is running well and it is still a good place to settle down and raise a family or start or relocate a business. The sad reality is that our leaders are not leading.

For those of us with houses and business in Flint and others with school age children this is for real. Our lives are at stake. Where are our leaders?
We don’t like where they have been lately: wasteful lawsuits, 26 million dollar budget deficit, a state receivership and a council that fought the state receiver and is fighting the Mayor at every turn. A Mayor with a personal agenda unknown to us raising doubt. He is Cleaning the city up and he is for the taxpayers but where is he taking us? Where will we be in 10yrs when he is gone?
Did you know that Flint is in danger of losing nearly 4.6 million dollars that could be used to provide low income housing, shelter for the homeless and overall community improvement?
The US department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD) which provides the funding has issued a report stating that the city may lose it as result of inexperienced management, only partial implementation of plans, and unresponsiveness to previous complaints by HUD and the Citizens of Flint. HUD in a recent report found the programs administered by the City of Flint were not progressing. If Flint loses this funding it is because of lack of leadership by the council and the administration.

Flint needs quick action, heady QUALITY OF LIFE reforms and bold efforts to bring in jobs while keeping and attracting residents. You are disappointed in your leadership and you can do better.

Real change happens by institutionalizing reforms and empowering citizens to take an active interest in their own block. ( In some cases in their own yard.) We desperately need leaders that understand the nature of real grass roots reform with institutional support. The time of a quick superficial fix passing for authentic change has worn out its welcome in Flint.
We must have a city council with foresight. Where are we going and who will lead us there?
The best leaders have vison knowledge and willingness to take political risk to achieve a goal.
I have these skills. I am asking you to hire me as your Flint City Council person on August 2 2005

Respectfully

Terry R. Bankert an applicant the Flint City Council 7th Ward
Terry Bankert Committee 1000 Beach St., Flint MI 48503 810-235-1970
Post Fri Jul 08, 2005 4:37 am 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website  Reply with quote  
lansingsenate1
F L I N T O I D

The whole flint council is corrupt. Millions have been stolen out of city funds and this is been going on for some time. Mayor Williamson Has put a stop to most of it because he is the only one not stealing because he is rich already, he doesnt even take a salary. now the city council is trying to get Williamson out so they can keep stealing. It made me utterly sick at the amount of stealing going on in flint government. Well soon we will have all the evidence together to prosecute them ALL. Keep up the good work Don
Post Wed Jul 13, 2005 4:41 pm 

Jump to:  

Last Topic | Next Topic  >

Forum Rules: