FAQFAQ   SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlistRegisterRegister  ProfileProfile   Log in[ Log in ]  Flint Talk RSSFlint Talk RSS

»Home »Open Chat »Political Talk  Â»Flint Journal »Political Jokes »The Bob Leonard Show  

Flint Michigan online news magazine. We have lively web forums

FlintTalk.com Forum Index > Open chat

Topic: IN MY OPINION - Channel 17

Author    Post Post new topic Reply to topic
Ted Jankowski
F L I N T O I D

It was a pretty good show today. I'm really starting to like Mr. Hatter. He had the logical response. They tried it with alcohol. It didn't work. I don't get it. There are people in rest homes. IN their late 80's and 90's that still smoke. Not many left. because it's been outlawed in many areas in public places. There are always exceptions. I don't believe in limiting one persons freedom in order to "SAVE" them from themselves. I really am enjoying these local channel 17 programs.

Personally I quit smoking years ago. My father still does. He can read. Funny thing is. He doesn't have any breathing problems. Yet I and my younger sister do. But my brother doesn't. Not every can smoke. It is a choice. The problem comes in. When government (our taxes) have to pay for peoples illness because they smoked. I don't see why we should have to? That's where I believe the problem comes in. just as with Insurance companies. If you say you wear your seat belt and don't,. They shouldn't have to cover your bills. Not government step in and tell you have to wear it. Both are an infringement of liberty.

We've become so accustomed to government making decisions for us. accepting Big Brothers rule over our lives. That we continually allow them to strip us of Liberties. Just to quote one of my favorite scriptures from Paul. "All things are lawful for me, but all things are not expedient: all things are lawful for me, but all things edify not." Just because something is bad for us. Doesn't mean government should make the decision for us. There are many ways to accomplish getting people to quit smoking. That making laws or restricting liberty isn't necessary. Just takes a little bit o imagination. Higher premiums by insurance companies, no coverage for dangerous behavior etc. Then Government not step in and take up the slack. I know this sounds harsh. But here's another quote. Those that live by the sword, die by the sword. It's a principles. Not rules, not laws and not mandates. Creative Problem solving, and imagination. None of which Government has.

Besides, if we make cigarettes illegal. Whose going to pay for schools and roads, budget shortfalls and Medicaid? Where are those tax dollars going to come from? That’s what the current and former taxes have been used for. Then there was the Tobacco settlements. How much of that money went to cover the expenses that the states were suing them over? NOT MUCH LOL

In fiscal year (FY) 2004, tobacco taxes raised $992.8 million, or 4.5 percent of total tax revenues. This represented an 11.3 percent increase in tobacco tax revenues over FY 2003, with the magnitude of the increase due to the partial-year implementation of the 2004 tax increase. Current law earmarks more than 40 percent of tobacco tax collections to both the School Aid Fund and the Medicaid Benefits Trust Fund. Taxable cigarette sales decreased in FY 2004 by 3.5 percent to 681.0 million packs sold taxed. The federal cigarette tax raised $7.9 billion in the year ending June 2004, down from $8.0 billion in the preceding year. The decrease in federal tax revenue reflects a 1.0 percent decline in national cigarette consumption.1

If you follow government’s logic. Everyone should smoke in order to collect more tax dollars for schools and Medicaid. If you want to fund schools, smoke more cigarettes? If government really wanted better funding of Schools. They wouldn’t have chosen a high tax revenue and highly controversial place to gather money for health care and schools. Same principle used with the City of Flint pension fund investing in a company that produces a video game that so many communities want banned. Including Flint.
LOL

This is exactly what I’m talking about. Lack of imagination and creativity in government. All’s government knows how to do effectively is. Tax and spend lavishly.
Post Wed May 31, 2006 8:34 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger  Reply with quote  
Denard

Zzzzzz ZZZzzzz ZZZZZzzzz ZZzzzzz Zzzzzz

Seriously Ted your putting us to sleep... Write about something good.. Hookers, Whores, Closed up Stores...
Post Thu Jun 01, 2006 3:07 pm 
terrybankert
F L I N T O I D

Henry Hatter is one of our best elected officals, Clio School Board, and long term republican activist. He is very consistent in that government should stay out of peoples lives.
Post Thu Jun 01, 2006 5:25 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website  Reply with quote  
Ted Jankowski
F L I N T O I D

Terry, I really did enjoy the show. It seems a bit short. just as it starts getting really good. It's over. You guys are doing a great job. I really do like hearing the whole arguements. Both sides. Not, enough of that in Flint. too many people are offended when you don't agree with them. Or you point out that there isn't any basis for for thier opinion. Love it great show.
Post Thu Jun 01, 2006 8:09 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger  Reply with quote  

Jump to:  

Last Topic | Next Topic  >

Forum Rules: