FAQFAQ   SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlistRegisterRegister  ProfileProfile   Log in[ Log in ]  Flint Talk RSSFlint Talk RSS

»Home »Open Chat »Political Talk  Â»Flint Journal »Political Jokes »The Bob Leonard Show  

Flint Michigan online news magazine. We have lively web forums

FlintTalk.com Forum Index > Political Talk

Topic: Terry R. Bankert 7th Ward Flint City Council Candidate

Author    Post Post new topic Reply to topic
Steve Myers
Site Admin
Site Admin

Terry R. Bankert, Committee.

7th Ward City of Flint Council Candidate, Letter, Platform and resume

____________________________________________________________________________________ One Thousand Beach St. Flint, MI 48502Tele 810.235.1970 Fax 810.234.508attorneybankert@yahoo.com http://enewsblog.com/terrybankert/

CIVILITY AND COMMUNITY SERVICE IN FLINT

Civility, dignity, professionalism, INDEPENDENCE, experience, coalition building & fresh perspective!

DATE 04/02/05

I have been reading my notes of conversations, faxes and emails with supporters concerning my candidacy for Flint City Council 7th Ward. I wanted to report back to you on what people are saying and my plan. First if we have talked directly thank you for your words of support and encouragement.

Two things struck me as I thought about my conversations. One was quality of representation. People are tired of the fighting and bickering between the Mayor and the Flint City Council, it is embarrassing to the community and just not good government.

The second is that residents want a plan to rebuild Flint, not let an economic emergency happen again and develop hope and promise for the future. I am posting my platform publicly to the enews cited above. Please take a look at it. Your comments positive or negative will be appreciated. I can’t do this alone. I need a coalition to support, critique and participate as decisions are made in this campaign and later.

The second issue, building a plan, is exactly what I intend to do working in concert with the Flint Community, council, mayor, county government, state government and congress. There will be a plan of hope, economic responsibility and growth.

As I work to represent you I will do my part leading by example. I will conduct myself with civility, professionalism and accountability.

I am continuing to meet and recruit for the balance of this month and April. You are invited to join this campaign Email attorneybankert@yahoo.com , call 235-1970 or write to the above address. If you would like me to attend a function of your neighborhood, church, civic organization or union please let me know when or where. My campaign meetings are every Monday night 6:00 pm until 7;00 pm (no later) at 1000 Beach St., Downtown Flint across from the jail. You are invited!

I am continuing to attend and fully participate in every community event that I can. There are many good people active in Flint public service. They have a message and you hear it at the community meetings. I am listening.

We will succeed to make Flint a better place to live but it will be your commitment that will make it happen. I am in this for the long haul win or lose in August or November. Will you join me?

HOW CAN I SERVE YOU!

Very Truly Yours,

Terry R. Bankert 7th Ward Flint City Council Candidate

Civility, dignity, professionalism, INDEPENDENCE, experience, coalition building & fresh perspective!

TERRY R. BANKERT FLINT COUNCIL

CANDIDATE PLATFORM 04.02.05

CIVILITY AND COMMUNITY SERVICE IN FLINT

Theme :Civility, dignity, professionalism, INDEPENDENCE, experience, coalition building & fresh perspective!

A citizen has a responsibility to help others through community service.

There is a lack of civility and "service" among some elected in Flint Michigan.

How can I serve you? Not what can you do for me is the question I will be asking voters. How can I help "Get things done"? How can The City of Flint improve its "service" to the community?

Terry R. Bankert’s pledge to you:

1. I will give everything I have after family and job to this service ,research the issues, build consensus and coalitions, educate, speak my mind in an appropriate manner, work with any one who cares for Flint, appear at any function that will have me, any media that will let me talk, stand on any door step that will listen.

2. I will not give in...I will pay the price, I will make the sacrifice. Its time for the Flint community to wake up and begin to question. Demand to know the story, of those before you. Many people are simply surviving not contributing to our community. I recognize we must participate in our community, and cause change. Our attitudes precede us. Is it one of giving or taking. I will be a servant of others not a taker.

3. We have a good City Charter I will argue Compliance with the Flint City Charter or change it.

4. I advocate AMENDING THE Flint City CHARTER to revert the council terms to 2 year terms, I WILL FIGHT TO Keep Flint solvent and build for the future.

5. There will be no PERSONAL attacks, Its not my public nature, I respect all the other possible candidates for the 7th Ward. The Mayor and candidates and incumbents in all other wards.

6. I Recognize FLINT CITIZENS WANT FISCAL STABILITY and COMMUNITY PRIDE We want to be proud of living in Flint Michigan and we want the rest of the State and County to know that we take care of our own business. MY Vision of a Great Flint City has sub -components to include but not limited to " management, leadership, accountability, communication, and strategic planning.

7. The existing chaos financially and our leadership vacuum has created an environment for substantial and significant change in the Flint MI . Our challenge is how to cause positive change. My opinion is that the fate of our neighborhoods, communities, cities, villages, townships in Genesee County Michigan are interwoven and mutually inter-dependant. We need leaders who work together for the common good..

8. I pledge: Greatness and Success.[failure is not an option]. Greatness for Flint is a matter of leadership We need courage, conviction and commitment. ... we need real leaders. When self described leaders look behind no one is there. They are just out for a walk. .....you can’t lead if you don’t love....You can’t save if you don’t serve. ..

Service is the price you pay for the space you occupy.

HOW CAN I SERVE YOU... THE FLINT COMMUNITY?

TERRY R. BANKERT

1994-- Present , Attorney - Private Practice. Terry R. Bankert P.C. 1000 Beach St., Flint MI 48502, 810-235-1970.Practice areas include: Criminal, Family Court with emphasis in divorce and child protection proceedings.Email: attorneybankert@yahoo.com

1987 - 1994 Ombudsman - Flint, Michigan. This office issues public evaluations of municipal service delivery critical of city services and personnel conduct. Investigations include police brutality complaints and general citizen complaints concerning delivery of the various city services as well as the conduct of elected officials. The reporting is combined with extensive mediation and problem solving, with the results as well as the complaints made available to the general public. The Ombudsman serves on the Standards of Conduct Board and is responsible for raising ethical issues and advising city employees as to possible conflicts of interest.

1983 - 1987 City Clerk - Flint, Michigan. Clerk to the City Council. The clerk manages all municipal and school elections, voter registration and business licensing, city records and proceedings of committees and full council meetings. Managed a staff of 12 and 500 election workers.

1982 - 1983 Division Director - United Way of Genesee & Lapeer Counties. Responsible for various divisions of the United Way fund raising efforts in the annual campaign.

1975 - 1982 Executive Director - Genesee County Democratic Party

EDUCATION

1992- J.D.-Thomas Cooley Law School .

1993- Licensed attorney, Michigan and Federal

1982- B.A.-University of Michigan-Flint, Urban Studies, .

1985- C.M.C.- Certified Municipal Clerk

PRESENT- Working towards a Masters in Public Administration, University of Michigan - Flint. (6 graduate hours needed, enrolled in 3 credit hours)

COMMUNITY INVOLVEMENT-1974 City of Flint Charter revision , 1976 Walker Community School Council 1976-78 Coordinator East Village Recycling Project ,1976 - Present Volunteer distributor East Village Magazine 1976 City of Flint City Wide Advisory Committee,1976 City of Flint Standing Committee to oversee the task of city wide housing rehabilitation.,1976 - 1983 President Flint Neighborhood Improvement and Preservation Project.,1980 Flint Board of Education Task Force on Community Organization, Committee on the Phase One Plan for Quality Education. ,1982 - 1986 Genesee, Lapeer and Shiawassee Health Systems Agency. 1985 - 1987 City of Flint Cable Advisory Committee ,1985 - 1987 City of Flint Downtown Development Authority. ,1986 - 1987 Member Policy Committee, Whaley Childrens Center ,1984 - 1985 United Way City of Flint Campaign ,1987 United Way Governmental Unit, member of the Annual Campaign Cabinet.,1986 - 1987 Member United Way Allocation Panels.,1996 Chairperson Genesee County Parks Millage campaign. 1998 - Present Co-Founder and Consultant to "Unity for Parents and Children", a support and educational organization for parents/grandparents in child protection proceedings.PAST MEMBERSHIP Flint Rotary, Optimist, Kiawanis, American Society of Public Administration, Michigan Municipal Clerks Association, International Association for the Civilian Oversight of Police, Railroad Brotherhood, Teamsters, United Auto Workers, nominating committee of Planned Parenthood, American Ombudsman Association, Genesee County Board of Election Canvassers. CONFERENCE SPEAKER -National League of Cities December 1988. Panel member "For Crying Out Loud: Clinching the Complaint System." -State Bar of Michigan September 25 1991. Panel member " Police Officers and the Use of Force."-International Association Civilian Oversight of Police , September 30, 1991 "Programming-Justifying Your Existence."

Home Church: Heather Creek Church Reverend Gary Curell HeatherCreekChurch@world.att.net

1976- HONORABLE MILITARY DISCHARGE, United States Army Reserve, Infantry/Drill Sargent, Staff Sargent.

This mailing paid for by Terry Bankert 1000 Beach St Flint MI 48503 810.235.1970, attorneybankkert@yahoo.com

Terry R. Bankert, attorney [divorce/criminal], 1000 Beach St., Flint MI USA, 1.810.235.1970, fax; 810.234.5080.

Attorneybankert@yahoo.com

Bankert is a candidate for City Council 7th Ward Flint MI, election August 2005, who posts his positions on issues ,observations of community events and his Flint City Council Campaign Journal at:

http://enewsblog.com/terrybankert/

See post #3 for Bankerts Vita and list of community events he has attended since 2/11/05 . http://enewsblog.com/terrybankert/post/2005-02-11_17:14:53/

Bankert regularly writes letters to the editor Flint Journal and appears on Comcast public access channel 17 Saturday 6 p.m. " In My Opinion" hosted by Ronald Berry Robinson , Bankert also posts regularly to the TV- 12 http://forums.go.com/abclocal/WJRT/forum?start=0&forumID=73

and TV- 5 http://users.boardnation.com/\u126 ~wnem/index.php?board=2http://users.boardnation.com/~wnem/index.php?board=2

Since 1999 Bankert has been editor of a Yahoo Egroup designed to help parents in child protective proceedings http://health.groups.yahoo.com/group/child_neglect_abuse/ Bankert is also co-founder , 1999, of a parents support group UNITY for children and parents [ Karen Hamilton is the chairperson 810-733-0213]
Post Thu Apr 07, 2005 6:55 am 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger  Reply with quote  

Jump to:  

Last Topic | Next Topic  >

Forum Rules: