FAQFAQ   SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlistRegisterRegister  ProfileProfile   Log in[ Log in ]  Flint Talk RSSFlint Talk RSS

»Home »Open Chat »Political Talk  Â»Flint Journal »Political Jokes »The Bob Leonard Show  

Flint Michigan online news magazine. We have lively web forums

FlintTalk.com Forum Index > Open chat

Topic: Ombudsman questions that need to be answered!

Author    Post Post new topic Reply to topic
Steve Myers
Site Admin
Site Admin

Originally posted to milve by johnnyquest:

quote:
I have some questions. How and who select the Ombudsman?

Isn't it true that they are not elected?

What guarantee would we have that the new one would be better than the old one?

Isn't the term of office seven years and doesn't that seem a bit long lest we do get an ineffective person in that office?

What real power would this person have and how would it be applied?
None

Flint is certainly going to continue to shrink. Can Flint really afford to act like a big city when indeed, it gets smaller every day?

I guess I would need an example how Flint would be saved money.

http://www.mlive.com/forums/flint/index.ssf?artid=57072
Post Sat Feb 25, 2006 11:08 am 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger  Reply with quote  
Rapunzel

Thanks steve!
Post Sat Feb 25, 2006 1:53 pm 
rapunzel

Here is my less than adequate attempt to answer these questions.RAP

I have some questions.
1. How and who select the Ombudsman?
A. The ombudsman is selected by a two-thirds (2\3) majority of city council elect.

2. Isn't it true that they are not elected?
A. We elect the council, the council votes on whom to select from applicants. We currently have 76 applicants. I would encourage those that know of strong applicants to lobby council for an effective ombudsman.

3. What guarantee would we have that the new one would be better than the old one?
A. The citizens of this city are more aware of the past failures. We the citizens have the power to hold administration and council accountable by paying attention and lobbying for amendments for change. Short answer…You are the guarantee!

4. Isn't the term of office seven years and doesn't that seem a bit long lest we do get an ineffective person in that office?
A. If a vacancy occurs in the office of Ombudsman, the city council shall, within sixty (60) days, fill the office for a 7 year term. My answer…I think if the officer holder is ineffective or unable to fulfill requirements of office an amendment needs to be in place to require officeholder to resign. Yet, this is touchy since someone in power may not like findings of an investigation and try to force resignation. So maybe a shorter term may be better?

5. What real power would this person have and how would it be applied?
None
A. § 1-160 FORM OF SUBPOENA BY OMBUDSMAN.
For the purpose of enforcing Section 3-505 of the Charter of the City of Flint, subpoenas may be issued by the Ombudsman in the name of the people of the City of Flint and shall be signed and sealed by the Ombudsman.
(Ord. 2703, passed 4-2-79)
§ 1-161 REFUSAL TO COMPLY WITH SUBPOENA PROHIBITED.
It shall be unlawful for any person served with a subpoena issued by the Ombudsman as provided in § 1-160 to appear and testify or to produce books, papers and other evidence in the course of an investigation pursuant to Section 3-505 of the Charter, to refuse or neglect to appear or testify or produce the books, papers and other evidence as commanded in the subpoena. The provisions of this section are cumulative and aren't intended to have any effect on the power of the Ombudsman to take other action to compel the production of evidence.
6. Flint is certainly going to continue to shrink. Can Flint really afford to act like a big city when indeed, it gets smaller every day?
A. The perception of lack of accountability by the city services i.e.: police ect. Will only help the city shrink and cause businesses to look elsewhere to start a new business.

7. I guess I would need an example how Flint would be saved money.
A. The many lawsuits the city chooses to settle rather than litigate cost a large part of the budget. The ombudsman’s investigations may prove complaints unfounded prior to law suits.
Post Sat Feb 25, 2006 4:10 pm 

Jump to:  

Last Topic | Next Topic  >

Forum Rules: